When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Nanaya Strategy  (Read 21358 times)

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
Nanaya Strategy
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »
Hey What are some good mixup optons for Nanaya and what are some gUd uses for his fastfall?

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Kix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Slayer and Galneryus
    • View Profile
Re: Nanaya Strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 08:39:26 PM »
In some older videos, I used to see FF-> grab. Faking the opponent into thinking you are going to attack high. I'm not sure how well it works.

Also, obviously if they want to meet you in the air for any reason this could mix them up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:42:53 PM by Kix »
"This port is going to be outdated faster than you can say "Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia" -Dizzynecro

Offline Shinjin

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • バカキャ~ン!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:29:59 AM »
I'll try to get Caer to write something down here. Since he plays Nanaya and at least has basic knowledge. But one fun thing is:

... no on second though i'll leave it to him. BUT I TOUGHT HIM HOW TO DO IT!!!  ;D
ワルク:あはははは!!

Offline Kayin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • A POTENTIAL CAT FUCKING
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »
Needs more Veteru~
<3

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:18:50 PM »
I'll try to get Caer to write something down here. Since he plays Nanaya and at least has basic knowledge. But one fun thing is:

... no on second though i'll leave it to him. BUT I TOUGHT HIM HOW TO DO IT!!!  ;D
gUd I'll be waiting.Nanaya's the only char im SURe im using and i cant decide between many others.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Caer

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »
Okay, bit late here, but I'll throw in some of the more fun stuff for the moment.

First of all, the best mixup I've found so far is to jump in with j.C. You now have the option of falling down with a 2B for a low, or you can dash-cancel the j.C and do j.B. This has worked really well for me so far. If you hit the j.C while high up, you can either do another j.C after the dash or you'll have to wait a tiny bit before you throw out j.B, or you won't connect after landing.
It's a bit tricky to find a really good spot to land this properly, but after throw or if you have them pressed in the corner it works really well. Just watch out for shield-attempts on the j.C. Just bait that shit if it comes to that.
Also if you do this midscreen, there's a good chance it will not only be a mixup, but give you a crossup as well, since you'll dash past them but still hit with the j.B.

For FF, yes, it is indeed nice for baiting shields. This works quite well if you've been spamming j.C as much as you should be.
However, the best use ever for that one is after a throw. just get a throw in, and then superjump forward and cancel it immediately with 22. Depending on your timing, this can make you land on either side of you opponent, making it a great crossup and anti-crossup at once.

What else...
Abuse 5C into 5A whiff cancel. That gives you some good advantage and can often work as a frame trap. Try to mix this up with throws, because we've already established that you get all his best options off a throw.

Offline Hintalove

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Conquering Japan, one cabinet at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 04:24:51 AM »
All of the Nanayas I play pretty much do just that, and by that, I mean varying guard strings into 5ca. You just do quick 1 or 2 hit guard strings, varying between standing and low attacks, and whif cancel to continue preassure. Basically, the more paranoid your opponents get, the more likely they are to do something dumb, and eat an attack for ch, or if they are content to block, you can mix in jumps and teleports. I'd advise jumping and the teleport that crosses them up as starting points. If you let him, Nanaya can keep you blocking for a longgggg time. Use and abuse this fact, and you will be closer to me hating you.

Another mixup is to ground string into ex dp at midscreen. This gives your opponent of giving you free damage off an OTG combo, or playing the dangerous teching game with you, potentialy giving you a free combo. EIther way, as long as you're sharp on tech punishing, it's guaranteed damage. Your opponents will most likely know that taking the OTG is the safest option, and only tech as mixup them selves. As for optimal OTG strings, ask Veteru.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/kiwiishungry/omfg.jpg
Ai ga areba heiwa da to dareka ga kuchi ni shiteita
Someone said that "As long as there's love, all will be peaceful"

Offline KD0089

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »
what's the most reliable otg string that nanaya has?

Offline LordRabies

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »
For OTG I just do 2A x3-4 into 2B or 5B->5B.

Also, just noticed something about Nanaya.

The classic 2A->2B->2C->5C->B&B does roughly around 400-600 less damage than 2A->5B->5C->2C->2B->B&B, anyone else notice this before?

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »
Yeah I think most know about that. Doing 2A > 2B > 5C > 2C > 5B as the starter does more damage than the standard bnb as well.
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »
(Oh fuck I'm posting strategy, someone notify a moderator to get this post deleted.)

2AB5BC2CB is a bad combo to use unless you are at point blank range and are doing it off of one 2A (read: not happening). This is a good sequence to use if you start from 5B, however.

2ABC5CB is the 'real' standard combo but you don't see it from most American players because they suck, because the timing from 2C to 5CB is awkward, and you will miss the combo 100% of the time if you do not super double jump. Also, near the max range of 2B comboing into 2C on normal hit, the 5C will whiff outright.

For what it's worth, the MB mook I have lists 2ABC5C air combo as his standard combo, and this mook usually will go with the harder variants of standard combos if there are no situational gotchas attached.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 10:24:44 PM »
Okay, Psyblade and Zaido has been helping me out with this.

<Mailorder> 2C 5CB j.BC j.BC air throw
<Zaido> you do 2C
<Zaido> delay 5C
<Zaido> 5B
<Zaido> jump BC sdj BC

<Mailorder> I'm having trouble connecting that very last C in j.BC
<Mailorder> I'm tempted to skip the last C and airthrow
<Psycrash> yeah, you need the sdj to be high enough for the last j.C to hit
<Psycrash> and also for the airthrow to go off

<Psycrash> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54T53Mxh1VU
<Psycrash> at around 2:05
<Psycrash> MTP does the combo

Offline ii_otoko

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 05:13:23 AM »
use jbjc jajbjc for more gauge! ;D

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 08:47:29 PM »
Some Nanaya combos pilfered from a guy on GFaqs:

5C -> 2C -> 5B -> jB -> jC -> jumpcancel -> jB -> jC -> airthrow

I tried it out myself, it's a little hard to catch the rhythm, but when pulled off successfully, it did about 200-300+ more damage than the standard 2ABC5CjBjCjBjC-throw BNB.

(Opponent in corner) 2A -> 2A -> 2B -> 2C -> 5C -> 623C -> 2A (juggle, not OTG) -> 5B -> jB -> jC -> jB -> jC -> airthrow

According to that guy, it's one of Nanaya's flashiest combos that could potentially be a crowd pleaser.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline humbaba

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 04:37:34 AM »
Another BNB would be 5B 5C 2C 5A j.b j.c jc j.b j.c airthrow

also connectable to 2A 2B

impossible to do if 2A 2A 2Bing before it, lol just noticed
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:47:00 AM by Kyogun »

Offline KidPhantom

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • TT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 03:38:38 PM »
I'm quite the noob, but I found this quite interesting in my adventures.

A risky move by Nanaya as a follow up after his basic BnB combo is his qcb+b move, the one where he charges up directly and attacks with his knife. As everyone knows, if the opponent sees the move coming, and blocks or shields it, Nanaya is up for quite the beating.

However, as y'all probably already know, if the opponents up against the wall already, and the qcb+b works, it'll send them up for a wall slam. If Nanaya can dash forward, and go in for a 5A juggle while the opponent is still in the air from the wall slam, you can hit them with another J.bc J.bc throw combo after juggling them with the 5A. I've managed to pull this off a few times, but I'm sure pros can master this no problem.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, what do you guys think?

For move kinda guide list=P Hard to get timing down.

qcb+b -> dash forward (if needed) -> 5A (juggle) -> J.bc -> J.bc -> Air throw

Does a decent amount of damage, if I remember correctly, can sure annoy the crap out of an opponent to re-taste Nanaya's BnB after just taking 4000 damage from the one before=P Think this one does about 2990-3100 if I remember correctly.

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 04:04:38 PM »
I rarely use qcb+b, but I find it good for when your opponent is going for a heat after the bnb, if you do it as soon as Nanaya lands the hit will land before they can heat (or beat out/trade with a good amount of moves, even stops jump outs if you're quick enough). I usually only throw it out there when the opponent is at low life, it's definitely not something you want to rely on.

Offline KidPhantom

• Spellcaster
  • TT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »
Yeah... I hear ya on that. I've got pwned quite a few times on qcb+b.

And goddamn, I've lost every match on netplay, so I think I should not be giving out too much advice ;D

I guess I'll need to practice some of Nanaya's longer stronger combos in order to get better... To much regular BnB is too predictable.

Oh, since Netplay is not always availiable to me, any idea as if any of the MBAC cpu is good practice? I played against Nero with max handicap, and that may have improved me a bit... But, I still lose a lot... Any good suggestions for practice outside of Netplay?

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
I've never found CPU useful, I get all my experience from netplay, the only thing you can really do to improve outside of vs. matches is practice different BnBs and combos in practice mode. The computer's reaction to mind games and play styles is so much different (and inferior) from players it really doesn't do much for you.

Offline Cloud Nine

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
I normally use the CPU to hone my BnBs, but I do netplay as much as I can although I'm still a scrub. (But I can actually beat a few people now!)

Offline KidPhantom

• Spellcaster
  • TT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »
Hmmm... Interesting, thanks for the CPU advice. Both sound like good ideas, and I really should netplay more.

On a sad note, could someone talk about possible deception tactics after a good BnB move? Like, should I do 22B, and go for the J. c or b? Should I do a 22A, and hopefully go in for a side mixup?

Course, it ranges depending on the situation, but a few pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks^^

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 11:20:12 AM »
there some noob starters like 2b, 5c, a whiff cancel strings... some peeps still don't get out of it well..plus you can easily mix that shit up... like just mixup 2b, 5c, or 2c well... cuse if one of them connect.. it leads to his stronger combos ( for example 2b will lead 5c,2c, 5b, jbc, jbc throw) and how if you connect  with 5c... then you just 2c into 5b into air combo.. so that's some good starter strings i think (don't quote me to well).. some times pressure strings like 2b,5c.. can also mixup with 5a whiff throw and some other shit....but you really have to train the person to block....
Basically... kind of a big deal....

Offline KidPhantom

• Spellcaster
  • TT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
Sounds good, I'll take the advice... But goddamn, I always have trouble timing the 5c,2c, 5b, BnB, when playing. Can never seem to get it down. Perhaps it's because I use the keyboard?...

Unno, are combos easier to pull off with the pad instead of the keyboard?

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »
prolly if you having real trouble with it on keyboard( never played on keyboard... it just sounds like you fucking it up n stuff on pad) i fine a lot easier on pad or stick... so try that out...
Basically... kind of a big deal....

Offline Daito

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »
This topic has really helped me out alot thank you guys.