When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Learning White Len!  (Read 10998 times)

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
Learning White Len!
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:47:37 AM »
It seems there's a lot more people who are "learning" wlen than actually posting in this forum. So, ITT, we discuss our experiences learning wlen, what we suck at, what we picked up easily, what we plan to work on next, etc.

It took me weeks and weeks to nail the 2B > 623A string. Partly because I spent most of those weeks trying to do it on warc :V. I still mainly use 623A 4B as my launcher for both standard bnb and icecombo although i'm trying to learn 5B 4B for launcher and 5B 5C for EX ice. Off an EX ice I'm still doing 2{C} and letting them drop, need to add 623A to that. Also having fun with 236{A} setups, my latest favourite gimmick is setting it up, jumping back and doing j.{C}, then doing 623A. It works on people who think j.{C} is an overhead, which is more than you'd expect :-\. Next stop: Learning her extended groundstring for sacchin/hisuis/necos!
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Learning White Len!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »
Bleeehhhh. I've been trying to get her 2B(2)>623A>5B to work, but I've failed miserably. For some reason, the 5B never wants to come out if I 2B, so  I use 623A>5B during a 236[A] trap, and 2B(1)>623A>2CC everywhere else. I used to use 2C>4B, but every once in a while, the 4B wouldn't reach far enough to hit, so I switched. Less damage>dropped combos, in my opinion.

I also stopped using most combos with Stuff>EX Ice>Stuff, and instead save my Circuit for tech punishing EX Ice>combos and BnB>Airdash>j.C>EX Throw>BnB.*

214A>j.236C wakeup. <3 <3 <3

EDIT: *: Oshi- Just saw more videos of her, and I've started learning her OTG strings. *drool* Circuit...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 09:40:10 AM by Irovax »

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 11:02:53 AM »
Why do people use 214A > j.236C wakeup? Isn't it better to use the 214A as a hit confirm, and if it hits go to j.214C?

Offline Psylocke

• Psyduck
  • Magic Circuits: 120
    • View Profile
    • Blog of Randomness
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:15:12 AM »
It's just hitconfirm issues.  The general rule is that if 214a hits, cancel into j.214c, and if it's blocked, cancel into j.236c to make it safe.  Japanese Ciel players still mess up the 22c->236c on hit and 22c->214c/623c on block so it's not too surprising.
Blog

‹ Tatari|JE › I have another friend who would play MB if it was "less like Mortal Kombat"
‹ HalVegas2 › how do you compare those two ‹ sphy › every time you touch someone in mb it turns into a BRUTALITY

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:16:42 AM »
Why do people use 214A > j.236C wakeup? Isn't it better to use the 214A as a hit confirm, and if it hits go to j.214C?

because it's safer on block? But it's a lot harder to connect, the timing is strict :psyduck:

I'm fine with 214A 214C myself
Arcueid / W.Len / Miyako player.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=HKrelight

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
I find that usually, if you connect 214A it'd be a counterhit, judging on the type of situation you'd normally use it in (wakeup). Some people like to use it for frametraps though so I guess it'd be important to make it safe there.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 02:31:39 AM »
Obviously, no one would use qcb A as a shield bunker, because it fucking sucks. Also no one would ever think to use it as a way to escape pressure stings. God forbid that!

And don't always use qcb A xx qcf C. You lose cross-up potential, and it does shitty damage you can use for a shield bunker, bnb, or heat to gain the life you lose because she sucks so much.
what the fuck is this game

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:26:05 PM »
214A > j.214C can make just about 3k damage if you finish it off properly.

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 08:29:32 AM »
>_> Problem is, I play against people who absolutely refuse to oki. They dash in, but stay just out of 63214C range or cross-up dash, and just block. I can't really ever expect for it to hit, but I'll take the chip damage and corner escape. Haven't experimented with her Bunker cancelling, though. I'll give it a shot today.

<_< Looking back... I think it'd be safer to say, I play against people who absolutely refuse to play well. Thank god for Netplay~!

Oh, and on a sad note, since the only real competition I have nearby is a Warc, guess who I was trying to 2B>623A>5B on. *sigh* Ah well, I do have three Kohaku's that I have to beat down, so I guess I might as well learn those combos.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:32:30 AM by Irovax »

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »
If people are doing nothing for oki then I'd say your first priority would be to get your mixups down before you get started on bara cancelling. The only way to get people to stop doing bad habits is to beat it out of them. Really, a player's skill is more determined by the level of his opponents than anything else. So do your friends a favour and punish them for their scrubbery :D

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:49:33 PM »
o_O Ara. What do you mean by mix-ups? I can do her standing ones just fine ((Not to the crazy 4300+ Psy ones, but 3500-3800)), but if I'm the one on the floor, what mix-ups do I have?

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:44:40 PM »
I'm beginning to think that 63214C somehow "grabs" low...

I've been playing against sion and Kouma recently, and 63214C somehow loses to sion 6b(lower level invincibility) and Kouma 214c like everytime.... :psyduck:

Offline Tropsy

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 05:28:20 PM »
Kouma 214C is invincible, you can't grab him out of it. (In fact, I've had Kouma trying to dunk me the instant I tried to bite him with V.Sion, double whiff ensued. Fun times)

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:11:40 AM »
Random curiosity, if I have circuit to burn, should I use it to finish an OTG with 214C? Personally, it feels like I'm giving my opponent more circuit than damage...

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 11:01:07 AM »
Random curiosity, if I have circuit to burn, should I use it to finish an OTG with 214C? Personally, it feels like I'm giving my opponent more circuit than damage...

It depends, it's always nice to do more damage...but personally I don't think it's worth it...unless your opponent is low on health and a 214C would finish him off for sure. Circuit is important for W.LEN for both combo and EX Throw.

----------
BTW here are some of the matches I did today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRm0p_EzPKA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMTzQKl-X0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVen50XwF8s

I'm having a lot of troubles vs pressure intense characters like Nanaya or Sion, it's so hard to get out once you'r stuck in a blockstring loop. GUSTAV isn't very good at V.Sion(his main is Sion) but he is still beating me like eight out of ten times. :psyduck:

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 05:07:09 PM »
Sorry I wasn't specific: If I'm at the end of Heat, or in Max Heat, should I use 214C to finish an OTG?

Also, what does everyone use for air to air? I know her j.A's is far from Kuro Ren's, so I try to doublejump/airdash to a good position to j.236.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 12:35:38 AM »
I'm having a lot of troubles vs pressure intense characters like Nanaya or Sion, it's so hard to get out once you'r stuck in a blockstring loop. GUSTAV isn't very good at V.Sion(his main is Sion) but he is still beating me like eight out of ten times. :psyduck:

Best thing to get out of pressure is bunker cancel her qcb a.
what the fuck is this game