When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Whiff 5a grab option select (mbac)  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
Whiff 5a grab option select (mbac)
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:18:44 AM »
Works against anyone that can crouch 5a.  Just do 5a6a+d, delaying the 6a+d so it happens during 5a's recovery.  If the 5a whiffs the 6a+d becomes a grab, but on hit/block it becomes 6a.  After that continue with 2b so if you don't get the grab you can do a combo/block string out of it.  If you do it in a situation that isn't tight(like after dashing in) you have to check if you got an air hit and go into an air combo if it is.  It's easier than it sounds.

So full notation is 5a6a+d2b, or 5a6q2b, and by then you have a brain dead hit confirm.  On block you can end with a blocked 2a, 2c 2a(whiff), or any other counter-hit/ender you want to do that doesn't involve 5a.  The combo I like to do on hit is (after the 2b) 2a5a6abcc sd 6aa j.bc j.bc grab.  Note that this combo doesn't work on crouchers, and if I hit a croucher with this I do (after the 2b) 2a5a6a5cc, 2c5c j.bc j.bc grab.

You can also use this against characters that can't crouch 5a to cover anytime you mess up and do a late 5a.  Or you could just try to go for an actual meaty 5a but since you're going to mess up a lot you get essentially random grab oki.  Only works if you don't practice meaty 5a enough to get it reliably.