When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Bread & Butter Combos  (Read 22884 times)

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
Bread & Butter Combos
« on: February 24, 2007, 01:02:28 AM »
Nero's combos, if done properly, are extremely easy to hit-confirm off of, especially with the insane range of his j.A and j.C. You should average 2300-2600 per combo for Midscreen combos, and approach 3000's for corner combos, with the exception of the very hard ones, which can sometimes hit 4000(!) on Criticals. There's two major types, Easy and Hard(+500 dmg on average). Always keep in mind that there is a "Three Wallslams" rule in Melty Blood, where the third wallslam will cause the opponent to become invincible on the way down. Therefore, the combo ends immediately. This is important because the 4th hit of Nero's j.C causes wallslam, but, if jump-cancelled on the 3rd hit, sidesteps this limitation.

Key
All attacks should be completed unless annotated with # of hits, such as (x3) for 3rd hit.
Charged attacks are noted as j.C (they would normally be used with [ ] but due to BBcode, we'll simply put a space, like [ C].)

5. denotes a neutral attack. Refer to your keyboard's number pad for reference. 4 is Back, 6 is Right, and Down is 2.
j. denotes a jumping attack.
-> denotes a chain combo.
, denotes a link (two separate attacks, uncancelled)
xx denotes a jumpcancel.
XX denotes a cancel.
(x3) denotes a cancel on the 3rd hit. This will only appear if you must prematurely cancel a multi-hit attack.

>> denotes an airdash forwards.
<< denotes airdash backwards (used for setups only, not for combos)
\/ denotes landing.
/\ denotes a superjump (SJs ALWAYS move foward.)
// denotes doublejump forwards.
|| denotes doublejump straight up.
\\ denotes doublejump backwards.

NOTE: When crossing up in mid-combo, //(Double-Jump Towards Opponent) always denotes RELATIVE POSITION. So if you were facing right and are now facing left, double-jump left.

Midscreen: (Will cause you to reach the corner)
Easy: 2.A -> 2.B -> 2.C xx j.C >> j.C \/ j.C(x3) //(crossup) j.C >> j.C  [Ends with you in corner]
(Translated from code: 2.A -> 2.B -> 2.C, jumpcancel j.C, airdash j.C, land, jump.C(cancel 3rd hit) doublejump behind opponent, j.C, airdash j.C.)

Easy: 2.A -> 2.B -> 2.C xx j.C >> j.C \/ j.C(x3) // j.B -> j.C XX Airthrow [Ends with both players in corner]

Easy: 2.A -> 2.C -> 2.C xx j.C >> j.C \/ j.C(x3) \\ j.C [Ends with you in mid-screen]

Hard: 5.B -> 2.B(x1) -> 2.C xx j.B -> j.C // j.B(x1) -> j.C >> j.C \/ j.C(x3)//(crossup) j.C >> j.C. [Ends with you in corner]

Fullscreen:
Easy: 2.A -> 2.B xx j.A -> j.B -> j.C // j.B -> j.C >> j.C \/ j.C // j.B -> j.C xx Airthrow
EX Deer Setup: 2.A -> 2.B xx j.A -> j.B -> j.C // j.B -> j.C >> j.C \/ j.C \\ j.C \/ EX Deer

Corner:
Hard: 5.B -> 2.B(x1) -> 2.C xx j.C \/ 2.[ C] xx j.C(x3) //(crossup) j.C >> j.C
Hard: 5.B -> 2.B(x1) -> 2.C xx j.B -> j.C // j.B -> j.C \/ (crossup) j.C // j.B -> j.C >> j.C (STUPID DAMAGE, but the j.B -> j.C // j.B -> j.C part is very difficult to do without jumping too high to land in time for the rejump. This is one of SAT's staple combos.))

From 4.C Launch: (Does not work on all characters)
4.C , j.C // j.B -> j.C >> j.C

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:25:48 PM by Arlieth Tralare »
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Jaxx

• Old Dirty Bastard on the Microphone
  • NIGGA NERO BITCH!
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Huaaaaaaaaaaaa bitch!
    • View Profile
Re: Bread & Butter Combos
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 01:31:40 AM »
I'm having a really hard time comboing off of 4+c it just seems like he just doesn't jump high enough to connect with anything to combo off of.  It's like if i had an inch more j+b would hit.
Back in full FX, again.  Getting back into practice, well, that's another thing all together.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:20:18 AM »
I know that you'll have an extremely hard time vs. Warakia and possibly Red Arc. Maybe Ciel. Different options are in order for them, such as EX Deer Setups.
<linalys> no he hasn't

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:12:40 AM »
4C Combos do not work on Final Tuned, period except on counter hit, so if you use FT rather than ps2 AC to practice this is your limiting factor.

Offline Jaxx

• NIGGA NERO BITCH!
  • Huaaaaaaaaaaaa bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 07:39:44 AM »
I'll accually post somthing here now that I've figured a few things out.  Since I really suck at landing 2+c in a combo I had to improvise, esspically for corner like rapings.(I seem to get people in the corner a lot, so some of the listed don't work really well for me)

2.a-> 2.b -> 5.B-> j.a -> j.c V j.c xx || j.c

also I have found somthing else, as we well know nero's 4.C's first hit is unblockable in the air, however, there are only certain chances you have to do this.  However I found someone blocking j.c in the air leaves them in block stun, and if you time it just right on the exact frame that they hit the ground, you can get 4.c off, because it "technically" counts them still in the air, even though they are on the ground.  It's probley a 2-4 frame mark, but 4.c is basically unblockable at this time.  Since the 4.c combo doesn't work on all charecters, look for them to tech out of the move when they get hit, then you can basically do any combo that starts with j.c
Back in full FX, again.  Getting back into practice, well, that's another thing all together.

Offline Magikarp9

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 08:31:08 AM »
That setup doesn't work all the time - it can be easily shielded, in fact.
4c guard breaks rarely occur without an active summon out confusing the enemy.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 02:37:34 PM »
There is a bait you can do if your opponent consistently shields your 4C, and that's to let them land first and then hit them with 4C since the air shield recovery also applies upon landing. I think.
<linalys> no he hasn't

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:10:34 PM »
However I found someone blocking j.c in the air leaves them in block stun, and if you time it just right on the exact frame that they hit the ground,

This is just normal landing recovery, you'd normally bypass this by attacking before you hit the floor. 
<Xenozip> actually i think miyako was intuitive for linalys
<Xenozip> simple because his playstyle is.. well..
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline Jaxx

• NIGGA NERO BITCH!
  • Huaaaaaaaaaaaa bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:03:58 PM »
There is a bait you can do if your opponent consistently shields your 4C, and that's to let them land first and then hit them with 4C since the air shield recovery also applies upon landing. I think.
yea it does.  I happen to land this consistantly with choco shielding on the way down.  Its the landing frame that leaves the person open

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »
yea it does.  I happen to land this consistantly with choco shielding on the way down.  Its the landing frame that leaves the person open

I examined why I was getting hit very closely over the past week. It's through my own error that the air shield doesn't work. If you land after jumping without doing a move or after shielding, you have vulnerable recovery frames. Thus, when I don't read it right and j.D instead of doing a j.A and blocking, I get SMACKED IN THE FACE.

So I've gotta play you more so I can get used to shielding and blocking that crap.

Offline Squall_1st

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »
H/Nero is cool.

I was testing some stuff, and it looks like 5C can be used in cobmos too. ( It's very sucky hit - if you ask me.. but after all it's the crocodile which attacks Shiki. :D )

So...

Corner:

2A, 2B(2), 5C(2) xx , J.C , J.C , Air Throw

Ofcourse
You can make it stronger using some other hits, but it looks cool.
However i prefer.

2A, 2B(2), 2C > ...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:16:25 AM by Squall_1st »
First i gotta say.
Fighting games?
Soul calibur - Tekken>all

Offline Deer

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • (´・ω・`)⊂ - nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »
This BnB list is sort of old...
@ irc.deltaanime.net

Offline Squall_1st

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »
Yeah, kinda.

Can someone update it? After all... Nero is to cool.  :teach:
First i gotta say.
Fighting games?
Soul calibur - Tekken>all

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Hey, I still use those combos :V the only one that isn't on there that I use regularly is the Airdash-out of corner- airthrow setup.
<linalys> no he hasn't

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »
I've noticed a new BNB in recent Nero vids using xx j.C land 2[C] j.C xx in the corner...
thundering waterfalls

Offline Deer

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • (´・ω・`)⊂ - nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
Hey, I still use those combos :V the only one that isn't on there that I use regularly is the Airdash-out of corner- airthrow setup.

But do you use more combos than listed here <_<?  I've seen you, myself, and japanese players use more than just these combos
The only one I haven't memorized is the one with the charge 2C...

The Fullscreen list is a little lacking...
@ irc.deltaanime.net

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
You could always do the research and contribute the information yourself. If you post wrong information, people will show up to correct you. It'll be a learning experience.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Vyous

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »
I'm kinda new but I personally like using 5C as my launcher, and jb to cancel between jC hits

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
It might just be me, but 5C could be the worst move in this entire game.
NERINA IS A MURDERER

Offline Fui

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
Sekuhara was debating that Len's 2C was the worst move in the game but I think Nero's 5C is worse. Oh well, we're all biased here.

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »
Sekuhara was debating that Len's 2C was the worst move in the game but I think Nero's 5C is worse. Oh well, we're all biased here.

He should try accidentally hitting that move in the middle of a match.

What a boner killer.
NERINA IS A MURDERER

Offline GenericSuperhero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 11:21:09 PM »
Just to make a note here in this dead forum for the few people who are learning Nero, the jp players use a different bnb.
At fullscreen they use (starter can be 5b or 2a but i will write 5b) 5b(x1)>2b(x1)>2c>jb//jb>jc>>jc/\jc//jc>airthrow: both of you end in corner
midscreen to corner: 5b(x1)>2b(x1)>2c>jb//jb>jc\/jc//jc>airthrow: both of you end in corner- for ex deer setup, after \/jc, it goes //<<jc\/ ex deer
<Dipstick> bell would have a significant advantage in length and size
<Dipstick> but Sp00ky has a lot more experience

Offline Daimao

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »
Just to make a note here in this dead forum for the few people who are learning Nero, the jp players use a different bnb.
At fullscreen they use (starter can be 5b or 2a but i will write 5b) 5b(x1)>2b(x1)>2c>jb//jb>jc>>jc/\jc//jc>airthrow: both of you end in corner
midscreen to corner: 5b(x1)>2b(x1)>2c>jb//jb>jc\/jc//jc>airthrow: both of you end in corner- for ex deer setup, after \/jc, it goes //<<jc\/ ex deer

It would be helpful if you also told where any super jumps or super double jumps are in those combos.  They don't work as is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:05:17 PM by Daimao »

Offline Deafdefiler

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Love Ciel; Play Nero (is something wrong with me?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »

The problem I have with these (I first found them by watching SAT videos; the player is just a joy to watch) is that they're significantly more difficult to do than what we already have, and don't really give that much more damage. I've also seen SAT use some of the BnBs listed in the first post (which I can never get to work, because I can't crossup for some reason) and they use EX deer after that much more often.

I myself have sort of combined a few of them (I'm probably not the first to do this, and it's really not that much different from the first BnB in TC's post); From about midfield: 2A->2B->2Cxxj.C>>j.CVj.C//j.C>airthrow. You end up close with them in the corner, so it's a decent setup for a pressure string, but it's only a 'good' combo when you're a relatively new player like myself. Only ~3000 damage, though...

Actually, I can't seem to break 3500 with anything but invalid combos. Can anybody help with this?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:45:27 PM by Deafdefiler »

Offline Fui

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »

The problem I have with these (I first found them by watching SAT videos; the player is just a joy to watch) is that they're significantly more difficult to do than what we already have, and don't really give that much more damage. I've also seen SAT use some of the BnBs listed in the first post (which I can never get to work, because I can't crossup for some reason) and they use EX deer after that much more often.

I myself have sort of combined a few of them (I'm probably not the first to do this, and it's really not that much different from the first BnB in TC's post); From about midfield: 2A->2B->2Cxxj.C>>j.CVj.C//j.C>airthrow. You end up close with them in the corner, so it's a decent setup for a pressure string, but it's only a 'good' combo when you're a relatively new player like myself. Only ~3000 damage, though...

Actually, I can't seem to break 3500 with anything but invalid combos. Can anybody help with this?
You generally won't without unless you start w/ j.B or a deer hits. I've done 6k with Nero before, but the deer hit like 3 times...lol.
The fullscreen bnb with the JB JB will net you somewhere between 3.5 and 4.3k depending on different factors, but you will rarely break 4k unless you're fighting someone at a low defense modifier. Beginning a combo with j.B will net you some good damage though. (jB > 5b > 2c). I just tried it against ciel and tohno and got 5k (criticals off) from jB 5b(1) 2c jb jb jc >>> jc (land) jc jb jc. You get about 700 more damage just from starting w/ j.B(2). It makes a big difference, even from a simple corner combo like jb(2) 5b 2c jb jc jc airthrow (3674 vs. 4386). That's why his corner airdash mixup is kinda nice, because you get an easy jB meaty (jb airdash jb) and a lot of people don't block the second one high. Oh of course the opponent needs to be crouching, because 5b knocks up crouching enemies but not standing enemies.