hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: August 10, 2008, 10:23:39 AM »
I need a few questions answered because I decided to start playing this character more than Kouma now.

1 - What do you do after j.throw to actually go into 4-way? I know you have to take a step in some direction and superjump, but don't know what direction or the timing of the superjump. Also is there a way to get j.throw more consistently after 214A? I've seen people write j.C j.throw in her combo but don't see how that works since even trying off a j.[C] bounce there's no way to hit with both j.C and j.throw, never mind off the strict timing required after 214A.

2 - What are the uses of her 22 attacks? I know 22C is like 214C as there's a few wallslam combos that can be done with them if you have the extra meter, but how important are they? Also is 22A or 22B a better defensive move? How to land a combo after a air/ground 22A/B, with or without counterhitting?

3 - Does 214A have any uses in blockstrings? It looks like there's massive disadvantage on block and even on hit there's disadvantage unless cancelled into a jump. Or are you always supposed to jump cancel it?

4 - Is there a way to ensure connecting the ground loop from j.B or j.C? I know counterhit j.B in the air is untechable, but a j.B hitting someone while they're on the ground doesn't seem to stun them long enough to hit with a ground attack. Also j.C will sometimes go into a ground attack for me if I was low enough when doing the attack, but if I was too high I'll land too slowly and they can block again. Right now after a j.C I tend to use 2C, so would doing 2A 5B 2C 5C guarantee the 2A to combo off the j.C?

Also a bit of general help. I actually can beat my friend's Hisui with my random Warc thanks to a great j.B range, blood rings, and really fast 623C as a reversal, and sometimes with my Kouma depending on how well I can get him with throw mixups, but I can't with my Satsuki. Approaching by air is hard for me because Hisui's j.C has a lot of range and I can't do much about Stuff-fu. A lot of time I can shield Stuff-fu and then take a combo anyways because of the cooldown on the shield, and Satsuki can't approach things from the ground, where I could try to simply shield into attack, but I'm never close enough when I shield in the air. Also I can't read his Hisui well with shielding in general because he tends to not j.C when in range going up during a jump and instead opts to double jump away and try to land j.C at pretty random times. I whiff shields a lot because of this and how slow Stuff-fu comes out sometimes (I have tried to shield and whiffed then gotten hit with it when if I had just used a j.C I could have hit him and gotten ch). And naturally when I don't have an extra jump and he throws out AD there's usually nothing I can do, especially with a character that stays in the air as much as Sacchin. What approach should I take here?

Offline Abstract Nonsense

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • finding comfort in boning a whale
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:05:40 PM »
I need a few questions answered because I decided to start playing this character more than Kouma now.

1 - What do you do after j.throw to actually go into 4-way? I know you have to take a step in some direction and superjump, but don't know what direction or the timing of the superjump. Also is there a way to get j.throw more consistently after 214A? I've seen people write j.C j.throw in her combo but don't see how that works since even trying off a j.[C] bounce there's no way to hit with both j.C and j.throw, never mind off the strict timing required after 214A.

For 4-way:

1-2 steps forward depending on the character, then sj. The timing is character dependent. I think when you fight against Sacchin herself you actually need 3 steps or something. You also want to make your backdash jC as late as possible in your 4-way. j.C j.throw is not actually possible, I don't know what those people are smoking. For more consistent j.throws, delay the 5c after the 2c and make the jump from 214a very fast. Also, be sure to throw with Q. It's much easier.

2 - What are the uses of her 22 attacks? I know 22C is like 214C as there's a few wallslam combos that can be done with them if you have the extra meter, but how important are they? Also is 22A or 22B a better defensive move? How to land a combo after a air/ground 22A/B, with or without counterhitting?

22C wallslam combos aren't very important. You rarely find yourself in a position to use them and it's often times just better to stick pushing them around with the standard otg loop and the 4-way mixup. You can only land combos after 22A/B with counter hit. On counter hit with 22A/B throw out a 2c so that they land on top of it, then go into standard BNB. If you want to burn the meter though, you can combo into 623c from 22A I think. I don't have the game anywhere near me so I can't test this right now.

3 - Does 214A have any uses in blockstrings? It looks like there's massive disadvantage on block and even on hit there's disadvantage unless cancelled into a jump. Or are you always supposed to jump cancel it?

You can cancel into IAD for redash pressure. Or, if you think they're going to jump, jump yourself and dash in you jC or airthrow. If you think they'll attack, dash in with ex-shield->jA->counterhit into combo. You can jump cancel backwards to avoid random pokes then dash back in. Basically it's a way to continue your blockstrings without whiff canceling.

4 - Is there a way to ensure connecting the ground loop from j.B or j.C? I know counterhit j.B in the air is untechable, but a j.B hitting someone while they're on the ground doesn't seem to stun them long enough to hit with a ground attack. Also j.C will sometimes go into a ground attack for me if I was low enough when doing the attack, but if I was too high I'll land too slowly and they can block again. Right now after a j.C I tend to use 2C, so would doing 2A 5B 2C 5C guarantee the 2A to combo off the j.C?

j.B hitting a grounded a opponent is hard to combo into. To improve your chances, hit them when you're lower to the ground and start the grounded loop with 5A or 2A. 2A 5B 2C 5C is probably a better option, it's how I combo off of the high jC from the goofy 623b pseudo-oki. I use 5B 2C 5C off of jC, but I'm not very good. So take all this with a grain of salt.

What approach should I take here?

Turtle? Block instead of shield, and 623c when he takes to the air. Make him afraid to jump.

Don't dash-up, walk up instead? Ex-shield Stuff-Fu instead of regular shield, then throw out a random aerial to push him away?

Don't double jump when he has max-meter or is in heat.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:08:39 PM by Abstract Nonsense »
[01:46] <@BNAK_OF_AFRIKA> would u get a foot job from mech hisui
[01:46] <MrTopHat> Depends, can the feet do anything
[01:46] <Coren> they have motor skates
[01:46] <MrTopHat> : |  [20:39] <Pfhor> I am going to murder all of you

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I've been practicing the bnb and it's getting more consistent now. The thing about the 4-way is I still can't really tell how far to walk. I walk forward a little but it seems it's never far enough and air backdash j.C comes just a little short. Well that's just practice, since there's no easy way to say exactly how far the distance is. I'll keep working on it.

Offline Abstract Nonsense

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • finding comfort in boning a whale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I've been practicing the bnb and it's getting more consistent now. The thing about the 4-way is I still can't really tell how far to walk. I walk forward a little but it seems it's never far enough and air backdash j.C comes just a little short. Well that's just practice, since there's no easy way to say exactly how far the distance is. I'll keep working on it.

No problem.

Some more advice, you want your airthrow to be low to the ground. This makes things alot easier. Then, if you're sure the superjump can make it to the opponent without walking, you only have to worry about timing the backdash, you can then use steps forward as a sort of measuring stick for when to jump. What you want is for the opponent to be getting up just as you backdash over their head.

The other possibility is that you're actually jumping too late, and you're not giving yourself enough time to reach the opponent.
[01:46] <@BNAK_OF_AFRIKA> would u get a foot job from mech hisui
[01:46] <MrTopHat> Depends, can the feet do anything
[01:46] <Coren> they have motor skates
[01:46] <MrTopHat> : |  [20:39] <Pfhor> I am going to murder all of you

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:53 PM »
You really have to DELAY the 5C after 2C to end the combo. I keep forgetting.

I'm getting it, but still dropping it a lot too. Invalid airthrows that are too high and missed 214As abound. I'm actually getting the positioning for superjump, but realizing that it's not consistent for each combo, but related to how high you throw, so...

I still find it hard to land the backdash j.C, but now it's because I'm backdashing too early and not because I'm positioned badly, so progress.

Also I played like 6-7 games with my friend's Hisui today and didn't lose with Satsuki at all, but it's not because I'm so much better that he's just off today. He was not being nearly as aggressive in getting out of blocking as he usually is and it was fairly easy to break his block whereas usually I end up eating pokes while trying to put together a blockstring and getting comboed for free. And of course getting easy wins says nothing about how far I've come.

I do find it interesting how Satsuki has, not necessarily the hardest in terms of executing it, but most strict BnBs in the game. The timing on a lot of stuff is strict, like generally hitting whatever attack you use to OTG too early will cause it not to register at all, then when you realize it it's too late to hit them, whereas a lot of BnBs have pretty loose timing, and the fact that it's so integral and the last part is probably the hardest to time. Mistime the last part and you lose the 4-way mixup, and that's a HUGE loss. And unlike Ciel, whose hardest part of her BnB is the 5CC cancel in the beginning/middle of it and getting them into the air means it's much harder to screw up, Satsuki's BnB is easiest to screw up right at the end. I do find it a lot of fun learning her though, so I'm not complaining.

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
really I have never found any of her BnB stuff that hard heck I just mash in 5B(or whatever) after 623B, and then you just have to learn the timing of 2C,5C which is pretty lax, I personally find Ciels whiff cancel crap much more difficult, along with akihas whiff cancel corner combo, which wasn't accually that bad once you get it going.