When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Combo/Strats Thread  (Read 47086 times)

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
Re: Combo/Strats Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »
I find this to be a great block string vs a cornered opponent:

2ax2, 5b, 6b, 5c, 22a xx 2c, 5a (whiff)...
     -66, repeat
     -696 j.C, j.B, repeat.

This is a basic blockstring, and you can switch out certain parts for the usual mind games such as tick throws and staggered attacks. One thing you can do it throw in a 2c before the 5c, then wait until the last few frames of 2c before hitting 5c, it might hit your opponent which they are trying to punish you for the blocked 2c.

That's a pretty good string. Thinking about it, my guess is that your opponent could probably jump out of your pressure after the end of the string, so you probably don't want to use that if you want to keep the heat on your opponent. If you want to keep the pressure on, don't do 2C after 22A. Do a dash-in or IAD. But yeah, adjust your chains depending upon what you want to accomplish.

-A simple shield will end this with pain for you. Try throw in some tick throws sometimes and mix up the attacks so you aren't so readable.

Besides a shield or EX shield killing your 22A frame trap (taking about 5B 6B x 22A, a timely reversal that has invincibility like Sion's 214C, will blow right through 22A, and the same with shield bunker cancels being done after blocking 22A. 22A is shield bunker cancel bait if your opponent is good at bunker cancels, so definitely look out for that and mixup your pressure chains. You can use simple A stagger chains and short reverse beat combos like 5B 6B 5A/2A to protect yourself against bunker happy cancel players.

I also found (at least I didn't know about it before) a fuzzy guard that you can use again tall characters (ie: Nero/Walachia).
-iad (or jump in) j.b, jc. c (push c as soon as you can and hit the opponent with b as late as possible without hitting the ground)

Pretty much you can go either way, fuzzy guard them to be hit with a j.c into j.b into mega 6k damage combo. Their isn't enough time to react to it, so it's a 50/50 guessing game. However, even if they guess right, they really can't punish you for doing this, you just continue your pressure. Maybe this is useful in the block string I just posted? Haven't tried yet...and I'm going to sleep...

If you do the fuzzy guard, do jCB instead of jBC. At least if opponent is crouching you'll hit them cuz there's some characters you'll tend to whiff jB a lot against. And also another point, if you time jC right, it has lots of hitstun. So with it, you can actually do that land and do 2A, and your opponent will still be stuck in blockstun the entire time, so you can setup the usual mixups even if you don't do the fuzzy guard. Use that to mixup your fuzzy guard.

Besides that fuzzy guard example you posted, you can do jA to mess up with your opponents head. With jA, you can actually block high and low, so you can mess up your opponent with low/highs with jAC, high/lows with jA 2A, or jA into tick throw, etc.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:27:10 PM by Clear Sky »
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 11:15:37 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lx50GtLk4Ew

See 1:09-1:12 for the j.c to 2a setup
See 1:35-1:38 for the j.c to j.b setup and you also see the 623c whiff j.c land j.ac j.bc setup (though Kanna invalids it this time)
See 2:40 for the biggest waste of circuit ever.  Though it did lead to a crossup setup which lands.  Still huge waste of circuit.

The blockstrings are about what you're describing, but you have to remember Nero cant reversal or poke out so Kanna takes a few liberties here. 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVHg7xvF9OA

Here's a sort of better video showing Miyako pressuring.  Though again it's against Nero so he can't reversal/poke out. 

See 1:50 for lol Nero OTG combo.

See 3:32 for a crossup setup that fails but is still worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:35:47 PM by linalys »
<Xenozip> actually i think miyako was intuitive for linalys
<Xenozip> simple because his playstyle is.. well..
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 04:00:31 AM »
Aw man, thanks for the info/vids. I find it hard to find some good Miyako vids/info.

really helpful, thx.

in the 2nd vid I posted, you can see the miyako player use the block string I posted. The 22a xx 2c, 5a whiff part at least.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:02:40 AM by ennvi »
"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man—with human flesh."

The Official God FAQ.

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 03:17:01 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVHg7xvF9OA

Here's a sort of better video showing Miyako pressuring.  Though again it's against Nero so he can't reversal/poke out. 

See 1:50 for lol Nero OTG combo.

See 3:32 for a crossup setup that fails but is still worth mentioning.

wow I've never seen this string before (5b 6b 5a LOOP), i'm gonna try this out tommorrow to see if it only works on Nero, since nero have slow A attacks.
Arcueid / W.Len / Miyako player.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=HKrelight

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »
That Miyako was so close to beating his ass.  :slowpoke:
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 07:42:17 PM »
I've tried the 5B 6B 5A loop a couple of times in netplay.

5b 6b 22a in the corner is still a better loop IMO...Since 22a has significant frame advantage when blocked low(+4f , and 5b is 6f, so your opponent only have a span of 2f to complete any action before your 5b lands), and people always block low >:D

PS: I don't really like  looping myself, since it's pointless if you can't deal damage, and people can easily shield your attacks between gaps if you become predictable by looping too much... :psyduck:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:45:14 PM by relight »

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
You kind of missed the whole point.  2a5b6b5a keeps you close and leaves the window open for stagger/throw mixup.  No matter how much you try, if you use 22a you will push yourself out.  Unless of course you gamble in a dash or something like that.  If you want to say you'll use 22a earlier in the string, then you'll get punished for it.  22a has significant enough startup for it to happen, reading the wiki it's apparently 16f startup.  If you really wanted to, you could easily bunker/bara it with practice.  Both obviously have their ups and downs. 
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 11:14:07 PM »
You won't push yourself out in the corner. I made the last post because I figured the loop loses to button meshers(got 2Aed and shielded like mad, people get used to it really quickly), but I'll experiment on more of it tonight.  :mystery:

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 04:36:01 PM »
You aren't suppose to continue the loop indefinately. the reason for the loop is to throw in a throw when your opponent isn't expecting it.
"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man—with human flesh."

The Official God FAQ.

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 05:57:37 AM »
If only 22A had much earlier shield frames, then my 2A bait setups would work.  :V

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
If only Miyako could fly...well...in AA she could ^^

The Official God FAQ.

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 04:06:48 PM »
I failed the first time cause I was too desperate to try the loop and became predictable. It worked wonder yesterday while I was playing against Sion. Things to note:
-just hit 5C 214C immediately after your opponent got hit, all Miyako's attacks can connect with 5C.
-it's easier to start the loop with dash attack(I use dash 2A) because of the momentom, and don't do it everytime because it's unsafe between gaps.

Miyako is beast,  :mystery: that so little people play her . :-\

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 05:06:11 PM »
I find the only really good use of 22? is of 22B to tech punish in the corner. It'll hit them no matter there they tech. Best used after OTG tech.

The Official God FAQ.

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »
<3 22B tech punish, but I like blockstring>xx>22A, since Miyako seems to have a tiny bit of lower leg invincibility. ^^ Stomped right on a Kohaku 2C. In addition, I've had some luck catching far Heat Activations with 22C. Too many 4000-5000 damage combos with Max versus my friends have made them more defensive once I hit 300%, so I just use it as a circuit waster as well.

X3 Also, is there a way to force Miyako's jacket off? I once won 20 straight matches ((A few Arc Drive Finishes, a few Perfects, and one Arc Drive Finish/Perfect)), but always got the >.<! finishing pose.

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
I think it's random. I'm also pretty sure that 22A/B in a block string is no good since a good player can simply bara it.

The Official God FAQ.

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 07:11:10 AM »
^^;;;;; "Lucky" for me all of my friends suck... And I usually try to have at least a few frames of delay if I do use it, as well as not using it all of the time. Yay 623B/Throw/22A mix-up~!

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »
You're just forming bad habits :p

The Official God FAQ.

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 12:03:35 PM »
well I don't know about you guys but 22a works for me in my group, especially in the corner.

it doesn't suck, it's one of the better string enders Miyako has. When people begin to eat 22A -> 2c frametrap setup or 22A dash 2a, they'll start to anticipate the low attack after the stomp....so you can mix it up with something else like dash throwing or 623b.

It's all about guessing game in the end. dash 5a 5a 5a 5b 6b 2a 5c 22a is one of my favorite string, if you don't execute it quickly, there are easily  gaps between 2a 5c and 5c 22a which people sometimes fall for.....

623b is also a great move even if it has a lot of startup, and 236b 6b throw is still evil against people who doesn't know much about Miyako, these are some of the moves you can use in the middle of a string. >:D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:05:23 PM by relight »

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 01:54:43 PM »
well I don't know about you guys but 22a works for me in my group, especially in the corner.

it doesn't suck, it's one of the better string enders Miyako has. When people begin to eat 22A -> 2c frametrap setup or 22A dash 2a, they'll start to anticipate the low attack after the stomp....so you can mix it up with something else like dash throwing or 623b.

It's all about guessing game in the end. dash 5a 5a 5a 5b 6b 2a 5c 22a is one of my favorite string, if you don't execute it quickly, there are easily  gaps between 2a 5c and 5c 22a which people sometimes fall for.....

623b is also a great move even if it has a lot of startup, and 236b 6b throw is still evil against people who doesn't know much about Miyako

22a is easily beaten by blocking high or (harder but possible) baraing it.  If you rely too heavily on it, against good people it will fail you.  If you do anything but a C attack into 22a, they can shield it.  It's good just don't lean on it so hard. 

623b is a move you use almost once a match, 236b is ALWAYS punishable, 6b follow up EVEN MORE SO.  Also once in a long while type moves.  I'd say you should never use 6b follow up against good people who have knowledge of Miyako.  (Of course in the US that's who?) 
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »
I edited the other thread already and now the links are gone. :psyduck:

Did you mean to create a video thread or something?

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 07:25:38 PM »
T_T 22A high block... I hate life.

Just making sure, with the exception of if I'm in the middle of a combo, there's no use for Miyako's circuit?

Also, if I land a ground shield ((not EX)), I usually just jump out, but does she have a good universal move to cancel into?

Offline Frank24680

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2007, 09:50:32 AM »
Just out of curiosity, when is a good time to use her Arc Drive? :S

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2007, 11:49:46 AM »
Never, since it's always blockable.

The Official God FAQ.

Offline Numakie

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Oh nooooz~~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2007, 12:34:53 PM »
The time gap between activation of her arc drive to the hitbox of the burst seems to unreliable most of the time.  (dun feel like counting frames ;3)

On the ground, the opponent can react and blocked her arc drive and then punish right afterword.   As an anti'air, there are most cases where the character will land on the floor before the arc drive may hit them.  As a combo ender, it just scales so much. 

However, the move is unblockable in the air and she does have a bit of invincibility upon activation.

Use sparingly if you decide to use this move.
~~Playing the wrong way... and somehow getting away with it.~~
<Pfhor>: no, I only have nightmares about your play numakie
<Pfhor>: because it makes no fucking sense
<Pfhor>: like WHY IS THIS HISUI DOING THESE THINGS

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »
I'd only use it in combos. Even then for combos, it doesn't do much damage. Your just better saving your meter like if your in Max Mode.

Here's a ghetto corner reset into her unblockable Arc Drive that you can use on unsuspecting victims, until they realize that you can hold on D. Whatever into 2C 5C x 236A 6B Arc Drive.