hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Okay, so I'm trying to pick up Miyako  (Read 3335 times)

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Okay, so I'm trying to pick up Miyako
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »
Lolicon picking up a loli?  Who'd have thunk it.  Basically I've wanted to pick her up for a long time, but always would get frustrated at her tiny range and rage quit.  With MBAA showing that Miyako now has even more ridiculous tools of destruction at her desposal, it has given me new resolve to try learning her once again.

Anyway, I've been grindan out all her mid-high level bnbs and getting used to her wacky air movement and short range, but I have things I want to talk to about with people who actually play her (and play her well).  So, first things first - who are the best US Miyako players?  Also, do we have any frame data up for her anywhere, or do I just have to dive into the frame display?
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
Re: Okay, so I'm trying to pick up Miyako
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:43:51 AM »
Dive away, the water's fine.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »
Yeah, spent a little while looking at what the advantage for her moveset was.  I'm kind of confused though, the frame display shows her stomps as being MASSIVE +frames on block (like 10+).  It definitely doesn't feel like that much.  Is it because the stomp is read differently, since she's not directly doing the hit, but the separate hitbox on the ground is?  As in, do I have to look at that and then subtract the rest of the recovery frames from the stomp out of it or something?

Also, why isn't the EX Stomp used as a reversal more often?  It has 20-something frames of inv and leads to a better damage punish than 623c or 236c, both of which only have a little over 10 frames of inv.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »
It doesn't matter how much inv it has when it comes out slower so it can get blocked.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:18:17 PM »
Some theorycrafting accompanied with framedisplay research on Miyako's 22C.

It has invincibility starting from frame 1 and ends on frame 25. The attack comes out on frame 26, meaning it has 25 frames of startup. The attack is active until the 30th frame and then Miyako is stuck in recovery from frames 30 to 46.

Although there is a lot of invincibility, the attack takes a long time to come out so unless the other player is doing a slow move, they are probably going to recover in time to shield or avoid geting hit by 22C. Also despite the attack being +15 on block, Miyako is stuck in recovery for 16 frames so it seems like it's really -1 on block?

So on top of being a risky reversal (ie Ciel's 22C can be made safer by canceling into 214C and Miyako can't here), it also covers a more limited number of options than the average reversal.
thundering waterfalls

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:26:20 PM »
Yeah, guess I didn't really think about the long ass startup of it. 

Are there any other MBAC Miyako players worth watching beside F.T., Mirumirumiruki, and Kanna?

On a side note, Miyako is really making me step up my blockstring game due to her poor range.  I'm actually enjoying her more than I think I've enjoyed playing anyone else thus far, now that I've mostly gotten over the sizable learning curve necessary to get used to her range and movement.  It's funny, for the first time in any fighter, I'm finally making my best friend respect pressure with Miyako.
---

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »

On a side note, Miyako is really making me step up my blockstring game due to her poor range.  I'm actually enjoying her more than I think I've enjoyed playing anyone else thus far, now that I've mostly gotten over the sizable learning curve necessary to get used to her range and movement.

You never really get over this IMO. Just play someone with superior zoning skills. You'll be frustrated in no time. Maybe you'll even rage once or twice. ;D
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so