hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Timed Proximity Orb Pop  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 29
  • How about some Ether Drive to the face!?
    • View Profile
Timed Proximity Orb Pop
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:52:28 PM »
I have seen only one video where an Aoko player has used this. I can't find it anymore. Why does no one else use blockstrings after putting out a proximity in order to time a safe overhead? Such as:

2ABC 214A (hold for a very short while) dash 2AB 5B 5A(whiff) dash 2AB 6AB 63214B dash 4C

The 4C comes out, and the orb pops right in time to combo, or if they block, makes 4C safe. No one does stuff like this.
"Mmmm............ dead chicks."
             -Anonymous- (you know who you are)

Offline AkiraTheMastodon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • 暁を映して。
    • View Profile
    • My u2b.
Re: Timed Proximity Orb Pop
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »
Well....there is a vid of an Aoko doing it, but not in a match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m48X507uTHg
Name courtesy of LoliSauce.
俺のパーフェクトさんすう教室。
答えは答えはゼロ人ゼロ人
なぜならなぜならそれは。。。 幻想郷にバス無い!

Offline AARP|ZTB

• Knight Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 102
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
You know, I thought about using proxy orbs and following up w/ varied strings to synch into mixups (4c,2b,6[a], etc) so I practiced the setups shitara had in the vid that Akira linked...Then I realized I can do the same exact strings w/ a held orb lol (realized this after 30+ of practice w/ proxy then 5mins of practice w/ held orb :/ )

synched proxy burst strings have some flaws too. Like if an opponent jumps out of a string and 'grazes' the orb, theres a chance that it will burst and the opponent gets away scott free. Also, they have the option to throw attacks at it and destroy it (possibly hitting you in the process). Sure, the same applies to a held 421 orb, where if you are hit then the orb dissipates. BUT if they attack and you happen to be out of range guess what - the 421 orb is still there. Another advantage 421 orbs have over 214 (in oki setup) is that if you sense a poke out attempt in mid-string you have the option to burst at will w/o fear. 

I think synched proxy burst combos/strings are "overlooked" simply because the 421s allow more freedom w/o a (approx. 7sec) time restriction. I HAVE however seen a few ex orb synch-burst combos and these appear to be stronger for a number of reasons:

ex orb can not be destroyed
launches on hit
bigger hit box on burst
option to throw into orb w/ easier follow ups
approx. 4sec burst timer - lets you throw in a short string w/o having to be consistent in pressuring or worry about poke out attempts.

If you check out xeno's aoko tut you will see a string that JM uses and xeno replicates at the end (iad jC>j236b>j214c>dash 3c (covers jump out attempt)>2c>2a(whiff)>iad jA>4c>burst). Stings like these are somewhat more solid and intimidating. I managed to create my own syched ex orb burst sequences (2) that branch out into several mixups within the 4sec time frame. Im not lazy enough to not practice it but im lazy enough to not create a 'perfect run' rep for it. Give me sometime and I'll post up info after some more experimenting.

*heres a synched j214 burst string that I came up w/ a few mths back (but only landed twice ever in a match :( )*

Cornered opponent
aoko123>slider>421a~[c]>dash>iabd (use j9>4a+b)>j214 ( >activation) (j214 is placed right in front of them)>burst as j214 is being set, 421[c] burst is guarded at this point>6[a]bc>slider>421[a]>burst (as they rise to force guard stun on wakeup)>iad j[c]>land>2b>5a>5b>aoko123>*burst* (proxy/j214 orb bursts at this point)>dash>2b>aoko123>slider>whatever

This is as far as I have gotten w/ the string and havent developed any overhead options after forcing guard stun w/ the held orb burst on their wakeup. If you ask me, its too damn drawn out. Seven whole seconds to maintain pressure while having your opponent willingly cooperate and guard  :psyduck:. Guh whatever, If I come up with more options for this sequence (or someone else does) I'll post it (or you do it  >:( ).

Excellent thread topic btw  :teach:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:01:33 PM by ZARtacus! »
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline AARP|ZTB

• Knight Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
my track pad hates me. i just made like 397927937 edits just now lol
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:00:44 AM »
I thought it was an interesting idea because 1) if it's directly above them, they will be slightly wary to block high. Although, they can just poke it, but if you sense that coming, rush that shit down some more.

jumping IS an option, but that's where you learn strings that include 3C in order to prevent them from jumping out. Fun one includes a 2B 4C (pop) 2C. ^_^ Also, why not throw in something just slightly risky? Like IAD B 236A land 623B? I dunno. I do random things every now and then and people seem to like it.

Offline Shizuka

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
I've been considering this, and it might actually work to use it in a stagger, time it and then leave a gap so he can poke and let the orb pop on him, (though that probably works even better with a held orb anyway). Just about any use i can come up for timing the pop on it can be done equally well, if not better with a held orb.
<LoliSauce> I bet they'd make them for the opportunity to get any other form of currency!
<shizuka> ahh apparently zimbabwe doesn't use the zimbabwean dollar anymore
<LoliSauce> whaaaaa
<LoliSauce> my plans have been foiled <LoliSauce> =<

Offline AARP|ZTB

• Knight Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »
...so uh, any thoughts from the other aoko users out there about this subject? It's very rare to see any (quality) aoko talk on the forums =/ (hey, dont look at me!)

Offline Shizuka

• Spellcaster
  • Undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
Ooo I thought of another one, it similar to my idea before, but instead of leaving a gap, you can time it so it will cover you when you heat. People ALWAYS go for a punish if they see you heat and they don't read a trap, this could lead to both a heat, and if they took the bait a little bit of damage into a knockdown. If they don't take the bait you get a free heat and continued pressure, the only flaw I see with this is jumpouts... still trying to come up with a way to keep them from jumping out on you.
<LoliSauce> I bet they'd make them for the opportunity to get any other form of currency!
<LoliSauce> whaaaaa

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »
How about we get a list of possible blockstrings that work in time with a placed orb that maintains the advantage. The only reason I see that it is useful is the ability to pressure. If you pressure well anyways, then they won't move out of the corner. Add in the extra cover for unsafe moves through timing or maintaining a constant string of high-low mixup, and it seems like a good idea. Think of something like IAD j.B 214A land type setups. You can throw, or it will pop, but you can space it just right to where it will sit right behind them and not pop until the time is up, giving you pressure and safe options. 4C becomes safe, 623A becomes safe, as does other unsafe options. Think of it well, and time your blockstrings accordingly.

I honestly think a list of possible blockstrings per type of orb would help, such as:

EX Orb: 2ABC 5B 5A(whiff) 2B 4C

That works, and it's basic.

Offline Shizuka

• Spellcaster
  • Undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
Well, 4c and 623a are already safe with a held orb, I almost think it would make you more predictable if you used timed orbs. You can't improvise block strings because your timing the orb, so people will know what your going to next (and if they aren't bad) find ways to get out of said block string.
<LoliSauce> whaaaaa

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »
Again, which is why you learn more than one blockstring for the timed orb pop, which is why a list would be nice. Rush in and throw every now and then, stagger a frame trap, etc...

You mix them up. It IS useful to know this, and it can be tricky because they won't know much about how to respond since you aren't holding an orb. Proximity orbs also stay if you are blocking. If they try and poke out, and you realize this attempt and block it but it still pops, you get setups/damage. Decent as a failsafe, and it still pressures. Don't disregard all of a moves abilities, you need to know how to implement them to their fullest extent.

Offline Shizuka

• Spellcaster
  • Undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »
I'm not disregarding the move's abilities, but I don't really see it as being more useful then a standard held orb. I personally think, that timing it with strings isn't as good as using block strings with a held orb. A lot more can go wrong and you can't burst the orb if you mess something up to continue pressure.
I do think it has uses in traps, but in a standard string having it land will prorate any damage you would have made. I can also see it as an intimidation tactic, people DO get wary when it is in their face, but ultimately I don't really like the idea of timing it in block strings. HOWEVER I do think if you leave it out you could be safer to mixup as it will keep the enemy from being to counter-pokish for fear of the orb bursting in their face.

It may be useful to use it to get yourself setup for some of your airborne mixups, especially against people that like to poke, this is the only place I see where it has an advantage over the held orb, and the reason for that is its greater frame advantage, which allows for your "Longer" mixups with more safety.

Edit: For new point and wall of text
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:24:11 PM by Shizuka »
<LoliSauce> whaaaaa

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:03:41 PM »
So, it seems Aoko talk has died for MBAC, and although this game has been replaced with MBAA, it's still fun to learn some things. Anyone want to create some MBAC investigations?