16 (22.5%)
Tournament Organization
13 (18.3%)
Better CasterStats program?
9 (12.7%)
Other
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: About CasterStats future  (Read 7890 times)

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
About CasterStats future
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
Everyone knows about the PC port. If there's a standalone version coming may be unclear but I was actually waiting for these news, so I dig up an old topic:

Netplay e-peen.

The old CasterStats (probably changing name) was a nice gimmick but that's all. When Act Cadenza was still played, the site was pretty active. When I made first steps to rework and improve the system, MBAA was released for PS2 and noone played MBAC via internet anymore and the site pretty much died and I lost motivation for this project.

Now motivation is back again and though the new site is pretty much stable (excluding stats lol) I wanted to ask what you'd imagine to be on the final site. Of course, stats. But aside from that. Think further.
The old site had some kinda ranking system but it sucked.
Now I'm thinking about a score-like-system. You don't only get points from playing games. The more you win, the more the points. Additionally, an achievement system could be pretty cool, as well and might be both informational and funny.

I thought about the usual web2.0 stuff. Every site has a social feature so why not this? Find ppl from your country. Chat on the site while playing etc.

Player rating could be somthing like, after you played someone, you are able to rate his playstyle. This is splitted into several points. e.g. there could be attributes like "Skill", "Speed", "Offense", "Defense", "Style" etc. Those are samples.
This might allow to categorize players by their attributes. also another kinda ranking as well. Of course, playing someone once won't allow this. You have to play a few games before being able to rate players.

Regarding the program (if one is going to be made). It is possible to have a matchmaking feature. Have the program arrange your matches. No more copypasta your IP anymore, the site would take off the work from you. Just click "Challenge" on one of the ppl who are online and wait for his Accept - then the game starts. It could be also possible to enable group chat like IRC. These could be channel seperated as well.

I had an idea about organizing tournaments, be they on- or offline. A simple user interface to easily update and change tournaments and create brackets.

Those are some basic ideas. If you have suggestions, please post them.

And please no trolls. I know this is MBread, but just keep it down. Thanks.

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
    • View Profile
Re: About CasterStats future
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »
A chat would be nice. You could unite Melty players all over the world in one big chat room where the users location ([US][EU] etc.) is shown at the end of their name, for those who are really anal about ping.

An improved character ranking system would be neat, where you can see which players are best with certain characters.

Player rating could be somthing like, after you played someone, you are able to rate his playstyle. This is splitted into several points. e.g. there could be attributes like "Skill", "Speed", "Offense", "Defense", "Style" etc. Those are samples.
This might allow to categorize players by their attributes. also another kinda ranking as well. Of course, playing someone once won't allow this. You have to play a few games before being able to rate players.
Dunno about this one. Not absolutely everyone is really nice and rational after being destroyed a certain number of times in a row.
I've no strong opinion on this, but i can't see anything useful resulting from it.

Regarding the program (if one is going to be made). It is possible to have a matchmaking feature. Have the program arrange your matches. No more copypasta your IP anymore, the site would take off the work from you. Just click "Challenge" on one of the ppl who are online and wait for his Accept - then the game starts. It could be also possible to enable group chat like IRC. These could be channel seperated as well.
I'd welcome this if it could be implemented.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:13:39 PM by Roy-Kr »

Offline hobbes

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »
I welcome all the new changes you are thinking about. Matchmaking would be very cool and I like the rate players idea. Of course there will be some who abuse the system, but I think many will be serious about it. It would really help you see the areas where you can improve.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'd welcome this if it could be implemented.
It's possible to have "Invite only" games as well then. Also you can see player's status. Like, Online, hosting, playing, hosting invite mode, looking for game etc.
Also, there would be several chat rooms, for EU, EC, WC, Asia and whatnot which makes everything easier. Maybe I'll add a "Ping" feature as well. So you can see what delay you would most likely have with ppl before even playing.

But that's for the old concept of mauve's Caster. If he does a Rollcaster, that stuff is completely unnessecary.

I welcome all the new changes you are thinking about. Matchmaking would be very cool and I like the rate players idea. Of course there will be some who abuse the system, but I think many will be serious about it. It would really help you see the areas where you can improve.
You just gave me a good idea. When two ppl play a match and end it, wouldn't it be good to have match rating? "Was this match good?" is just one of the questions. Of course, that's like taking a survey from some company, but it really helps ppl. On the site there could be a suggestion for each player then: "Hey, you should improve your character XY!" or sth.

Achievements would be like, "Best regional player in country XY", but also stuff like "Loli master" or sth if you have played most games with the loli characters.

Edit: Just got an idea for "Arch Rival" feature. Once per given time period you can choose one member being your "arch rival". Games you win against that person give you more points. :V
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:51:34 PM by Rowanism »

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:20:07 PM »
Also, there would be several chat rooms, for EU, EC, WC, Asia and whatnot which makes everything easier.
I personally think it would be more fun if everyone could discuss the game together regardless of where they live.
I know we have enough net players in Europe to easily get some action, but there could be less fortunate regions.
I, for one, do not mind playing against people on other continents, and i find it enjoyable to play folk other than my regulars every now and then.

Just my opinion, but i think one chat room where everyone is tagged with their location would benefit more people.

You just gave me a good idea. When two ppl play a match and end it, wouldn't it be good to have match rating? "Was this match good?" is just one of the questions. Of course, that's like taking a survey from some company, but it really helps ppl. On the site there could be a suggestion for each player then: "Hey, you should improve your character XY!" or sth.
I fucking hate being asked to do surveys. If you bring that stuff in; please make it subtle.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:37:49 PM by Roy-Kr »

Offline hobbes

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
Yeah one chat room would be nice. I don't mind semi-large delays for casual matches. Meeting people is fun times.

Survey after every match? I sure hope you are kidding. Make it subtle, but I think grading the players themselves is much less taxing on the individuals

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
i really don't personally care about interface things, as i'm a linux nerd who is entirely okay with irc and command line utilities

just don't make me use some .net or java piece of crap okay

Offline ehrik

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
I would like to see PSR style points by region (IE EC, WC, Europe (divided into regions within europe, but dunno enough about EU), Asia, etc)

Of course it would probably need a ranking style match D:

uhm what else, I don't like the idea about rating someone's playstyle, too stupid. (random bias, random hate, tedious as fuck etc).
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline fiendmaw

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 38
  • Dozo~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

Edit: Just got an idea for "Arch Rival" feature. Once per given time period you can choose one member being your "arch rival". Games you win against that person give you more points. :V
Why do you want to make me everyone's arch rival,what the hell! :-\
Best Nanaya in YouTube.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
just don't make me use some .net piece of crap okay
Skill difference. I'm a hobby programmer, not a soul hacker.

Offline Tonberry

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • $NJ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »

Bad idea imo.  What if everyone just makes someone they can beat easily their arch rival?

I personally think it would be more fun if everyone could discuss the game together regardless of where they live.

That's what #mbaa is for.
[01:08] <Komidol> that marisa cosplayer that took my registration was sexy
[15:24] <Rokunaya> i've actually reached the point where some voice actors sound familiar in animes
[22:40] <bellreisa> i'm an insane murderer who is overwhelmed by nihilism but that's ok cause i'm in love

Offline GenericSuperhero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52:03 PM »
i don't think the current mb community really needs any of these features so long as we have our irc channel and a caster.

that said i support all features with the exception of the subjective player rating system (this is a failure waiting to happen, will look unprofessional, and the prize is small) because i think a centralized, braindead easy to use matchmaking/ranking/social spot will be very beneficial to spreading the game.  requiring minimal effort and technological knowledge will make the game more appealing to potential players, although the kind who would let these factors decide their involvement are usually not lasting MB players anyway. 

i support some kind of ranking system because while most current mb players probably are rather indifferent (because they're mostly a hand holding frolicking lot), a lot of people in the mainstream like this kind of thing.  it would improve playerbase growth in the same way it does for other games: by giving people goals and romance.  a character based ranking system is a great idea, but will mean little in our current reality because most mb characters only have a few legitimate players.  i think the archrival system is more or less nonsensical.  optional ranking battles with more points for beating a higher ranked opponent make sense.

thanks for your willingness to help the community
<Dipstick> bell would have a significant advantage in length and size
<Dipstick> but Sp00ky has a lot more experience

Offline AARP|ZTB

• HATEmaster
  • Magic Circuits: 102
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »

That's what #mbaa is for.
. . .
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline Belegorm

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Matchmaking ability would be GODLIKE!  Not having to deal with ip addresses, and hopefully not hamachi would make this such a much more comfortable experience :laffo: >:D

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
i support some kind of ranking system because while most current mb players probably are rather indifferent (because they're mostly a hand holding frolicking lot), a lot of people in the mainstream like this kind of thing.  it would improve playerbase growth in the same way it does for other games: by giving people goals and romance.  a character based ranking system is a great idea, but will mean little in our current reality because most mb characters only have a few legitimate players.  i think the archrival system is more or less nonsensical.  optional ranking battles with more points for beating a higher ranked opponent make sense.

Here's the problem -- the second you start making games matter at all, you either run the risk of making the online environment an unplayable cesspool or you increase the complexity of the tool by tenfold. You're going to see way more disconnects as people try to protect their win-loss records and rank. How do you stop people from lag switching to gain an advantage in specific situations? What about people creating new accounts to farm ranking points and rigging games? You can't really stop them, but you can try to discourage it enough so that it's no longer worth doing. However, this makes everything much more complicated, to the point where I wonder if it's worth the effort.

Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline ehrik

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
frequent d/cers can be handled the same way psn/xbl handles them by making their names red in the match making room. also in the end, even if random people do start farming points, no one is going to really care about that (why even farm points in the first place for fighting games?). ranking points are just for fun anyways and I don't think it would be a real big deal in the end.
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline Tonberry

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • $NJ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »
Who the hell is going to farm points for a game that comes bundled with anime?
[01:08] <Komidol> that marisa cosplayer that took my registration was sexy
[15:24] <Rokunaya> i've actually reached the point where some voice actors sound familiar in animes
[22:40] <bellreisa> i'm an insane murderer who is overwhelmed by nihilism but that's ok cause i'm in love

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »
You're going to see way more disconnects as people try to protect their win-loss records and rank.
Can't really see this happening here.
If someone gets a reputation for pulling the plug; people won't play with them and that's their loss.
Opponents in Melty aren't randomly selected after all.

Also, lol at people caring about their points.

Offline FireBearHero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
Sounds like you want people to do paperwork after every match.

Rate the last opponents offense/blah blah/defense:
[ ] - omg i hav thes chars 4 mugen! XD
[ ] - gg

I feel like I really covered all the bases here with what someone playing the game might say.
So yeah, IRC is fancy.

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
The last thing the community needs is to give people more reasons to solely play this game online. I'm not saying that you are doing that but I'm just trying to give a different perspective.  ;)
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »
The last thing the community needs is to give people more reasons to solely play this game online. I'm not saying that you are doing that but I'm just trying to give a different perspective.  ;)
Uhm, why? The community has lots of people outside of USA and they cannot simply jump into their car and drive by to play some Melty. Especially the EU community pretty much relies on netplay. There are tournaments in Sweden but they are combined with horrible travel costs as well (Why Oulou. Why...).

More like a way to make this game enjoyable to those wo can't play it with their friends because LOL ANIME FIGHTER.

Offline Kusanagi

• Da Gawd
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 15
  • The Sword that Slays Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 10:52:44 PM »
lol
There's not gonna be Caster (at least from Mauve) for this game, it'll be all within the built-in (or patched w/e) netplay the game comees with.

So yeah, no future for this anyways :3
- Main: Aoko. Alts: CRoa, CRyougi, H-Sion, C-Arc
- My Stick [TE mod. PS360+]

Offline Cristu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 23
  • Melty Blood > $
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »
According to Komidol's report, they're thinking about a ranking system... I really hope the netplay is good and there is a ranking system... But in that case casterstats (the site) could only reproduce the ranking... Or maybe, if there is in-game statistics that doesnt appear in the ranking people could send screenshots... But that would make things manual =x...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:04:28 AM by Cristu »
A little bit of console ain't too bad.