hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: How to run Melty Blood Actress Again on your PC (with Netplay)  (Read 209608 times)

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
Alright, before we get started I want to make one thing clear. Do NOT discuss piracy in this thread. As far as this thread is concerned, this is a place for discussing how to play your legally-bought copy of MBAA on an emulator with a legally-dumped BIOS that you dumped from your own PS2. Emulation by itself is not illegal and (I hope) doesn't break any forum rules.

Well, obviously, first off you'll want to know if your PC is good enough to run MBAA. And my answer to that is "I dunno, lol". Your best bet is to simply try it and see for yourself. Since the emulator is just a tiny download and you have your MBAA disc sitting right there, there's no harm in at least trying, right?

Once you've downloaded PCSX2 from here, you'll want to start it up. Point it at the bios file that you legally dumped from the PS2 you already own, and get stuck into those nitty gritty config screens.

You have three choices for video. The first choice, the Gsdx thing, will give you the best speed and highest performance graphics, and is somewhat tweakable. However there's a price you pay for speed, and it's minor artifacting onscreen. For an example, check these images:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2e30ah2.jpg http://i30.tinypic.com/335crps.jpg

It's not as bad as it looks in still images, but it's definitely noticable. I played MBAA like this for hours without caring, and only decided to mess around and try to fix it when I decided to take a break. So it's not a huge deal.

The second option is here. http://pcsx2.dyndns.org/index.php#GSdx Here is an updated version of Gsdx. Make sure your directX is updated to the latest version (march 2009) and make sure you download the C++ thing at the top of that page. This Will fix the sprite artifacts as long as you set it up properly (see below(thanks daimao!))

Set "resolution" to however big you want the window to be. This is just stretching, and should not effect performance. MBAC PC default window size was 640x480, for reference.

The third choice, ZeroGS, is much more customisable, allows for antialiasing and other cool stuff, and it will fix the sprite problems.
When using either Video plugin, you should configure settings for interlacing as per your preferences. Turning it on will result in lines across the screen, turning it off will result in the screen "tearing" - you can probably spot some tearing in the two screenshots above. It's up to you. Pick your poison. Gsdx blur interlacing looks far far better than anything zeroGS has.
FYI, if you hold triangle+cross once the render window comes up, pick the top option twice to use progressive mode. This way, you don't have to use the render plugin's deinterlacer, which makes it look quite pretty (no scanlines or blurriness)
Thanks mrthefter!

For sound, you have three choices. The top choice will give you the absolute nicest quality sound, however it will be somewhat desynced from the video, in my experience (your mileage may vary). Test it and see.

The second choice will give you audio that is perfectly synced, but sounds garbled and messed up, and won't play music properly. Obviously i don't reccomend it.

The Third choice is a happy balance between the two. It sounds pretty decent and is slightly desynced, but it isn't majorly noticable. I reccomend the third option here for most people, but again it depends on your machine. Set it up like this:

If anyone finds a way to get perfect audio in PCSX2, please tell me and I'll update the thread.

Lastly, make sure to click "configure" on your CDDVD-ROM plugin, and set it to the drive that you will be mounting inserting your MBAA disc into, or else you won't get anywhere. You'll also need to configure your controls, but surely you don't need a walkthrough for that.

Speed Hacks - If you are running an older computer or are having any kind of issues, mess around in this screen.

As you can see, I do not have any speedhacks available. This is because I don't waste all my money on bad japanese cartoons, ugly figurines, or subpar quality fighting games, and thus I can afford a real computer. If you are less fortunate, experiment with these options until you get MB running at a solid 60fps. Only change one option at a time, that way, if something breaks, you know how to fix it.

One last thing. If your MBAA is actually running too fast, you can limit the framerate in config > cpu. Thanks to Zelretch for this.

That's about it. Keep in mind these are the settings I use on my machine (AMD 6000+, 8800GTS 512, 2GB ram) and they may not work for everyone. Please try and put some effort in by testing different settings before posting in this thread whining that "it doesn't work". I have little tolerance for people who can't help themselves.

AND DON'T TALK ABOUT PIRACY YOU STUPID FUCKS HOLY SHIT THIS THREAD IS FOR TALKING ABOUT PLAYING YOUR LEGAL COPIES OF MBAA ON THE PC SO THAT YOU CAN USE PC-COMPATIBLE PADS/STICKS/KEYBOARDS FOR PLAYING IT
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:38:15 AM by Rowanism »
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
Re: How to run Melty Blood Actress Again on your PC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »
That artifact effect looks like the same thing MBAC had when you had Antialiasing on.  Try turning it off?

~M

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
That artifact effect looks like the same thing MBAC had when you had Antialiasing on.  Try turning it off?

~M

I couldn't even find an option for antialiasing in gsdx configuration, and I don't have it turned on in my graphics card drivers.

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
zeroGS with bilinear and interlacing mode 1 with no speedhacks on makes for nearly perfect visuals for me.

Offline Cloud1234

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:46 AM »
It is the same for me but when i jump or dash the char is streching like hell :/

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »
It is the same for me but when i jump or dash the char is streching like hell :/

That's the interlacing. You can turn it off to fix that but you'll get crazy tearing.

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
"Video" section updated, everyone should double check it.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »
windoze onry??
thundering waterfalls

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »
There are linux sources for PCSX2, I may tinker with them this weekend.

~M

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »
somehow i broke it and my linux slowed to a crawl so i did a hard reboot and got it working in windoze lol
thundering waterfalls

Offline Daimao

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »
For Linux you may want to try ZZogl video plugin.  I say "may" because I haven't tried it myself.  Your Mileage May Vary (tm)

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4108.html  <- ZZogl Main Thread Here

I am going to try for a good GSdx config sometime this week.  Also, for that first Audio Plugin, you will need to tweak the latency regardless of how good your system is.  Default delay is like 150ms or something (kinda high).  You want to get it as low as possible without pops/weirdness.

GSdx Hardware Mode Update:
You can fix the broken pixels by simply ticking the Native box for D3D Internal resolution.  I solved that in like 1 second but forgot to post about it.

For interlacing options in GSdx pick whatever has the trade off that bothers you the least.  Of the good interlacing settings you will either get fuzzy/blurry text or some scan lines when there's a lot of movement on screen.  I went with the scan lines just because it annoyed me less than trying to read blurry kanji.  I suggest running the game in as normal a setup as possible FIRST.  Then try some speed hacks ONE AT A TIME.  If you bring it too far past 60fps it now has to spend even more processing power to throttle the framerate so the game doesn't run too fast.  CPU/northbridge temp will rise if you tax it more than you need to.  Which means possible bacon and eggs.

Now to tweak my audio settings so i have as little delay as possible.  :toot:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:59:12 PM by Daimao »

Offline Abstract Nonsense

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • finding comfort in boning a whale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
I'm having an interesting problem with the emulator. It never saves my options. If I exit, I have to reconfigure everything all over again, and it won't save my pad config at all. I'll go to "apply" and "ok". But if I reopen controller config, nothing is there. It's back to zero. I assume that's not supposed to happen.

ATTENTION VISTA USERS, THIS CAN BE SOLVED BY RUNNING PCSX2 AS ADMINISTRATOR.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:47:57 PM by Abstract Nonsense »
[01:46] <@BNAK_OF_AFRIKA> would u get a foot job from mech hisui
[01:46] <MrTopHat> Depends, can the feet do anything
[01:46] <Coren> they have motor skates
[01:46] <MrTopHat> : |  [20:39] <Pfhor> I am going to murder all of you

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »
For Linux you may want to try ZZogl video plugin.  I say "may" because I haven't tried it myself.  Your Mileage May Vary (tm)

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4108.html  <- ZZogl Main Thread Here

I am going to try for a good GSdx config sometime this week.  Also, for that first Audio Plugin, you will need to tweak the latency regardless of how good your system is.  Default delay is like 150ms or something (kinda high).  You want to get it as low as possible without pops/weirdness.

It may say that, but it felt a lot closer to the big 1000ms, in other words around a second.

Offline zawp

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
Random note: When running the game via an emulator, you're able to use standard PC tools like memory editors and debuggers to cheat.

If you bind Tsearch to the game, add a cheat at address 57642B4, call it character ID or soomething. While you're on the player select screen, enter 51 into it to select Archetype-Earth. She doesn't seem to have an arcade mode (game just hangs), but others should work fine. I'm using her in training mode currently, with the fancy eclipse moon type.

She's... fairly anti-climatic. She's basically Arc with hax stats, slightly modified moves, and a new win animation.

[EDIT]

Actually, looks like the memory location I mentioned is dynamic. You can find it by selecting Arc, searching for 1, selecting Sion, searching for 0, selecting Ciel, searching for 2, and then alternating between those until the results narrow down.

Another edit, looks like 16 = GAkiha. 32, despite being labeled as Roa on the character select screen causes Dust of Osirus to pop in.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:54:47 PM by Z0PharX »

Offline WanteD

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:38:25 PM »
My settings make me able to play almost exactly like MBAC , it only laggs a bit on the char select, but in game its as smooth as it can be, no pixel breaking, no lines

Offline Daimao

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »
Ewwwww software mode. Ewww.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 06:43:11 AM »
http://pcsx2.dyndns.org/index.php#GSdx

Beta revision 1650 of the GSdx plugin will display MBAA perfectly without artifacts or filters necessary.
You're welcome.

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »
http://pcsx2.dyndns.org/index.php#GSdx

Beta revision 1650 of the GSdx plugin will display MBAA perfectly without artifacts or filters necessary.
You're welcome.
Tried it a bit ago, makes it look even worse than it did before with GSDX. Dunno what's up.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 09:34:30 AM »
Try modifying the INI settings to load the window in 640x448

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »
Runs great!  The scan lines on the health bars/portrait and meters are slightly annoying, but I can live with it.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
GeForce 8800GTS

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
Runs great!  The scan lines on the health bars/portrait and meters are slightly annoying, but I can live with it.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
GeForce 8800GTS

Your system is fairly similar to mine, I reccomend trying out the new GSDX. The OP has been updated several times so check it again, it might have changed since you last saw it. GSDX with "blend" interlacing looks identical to MBAC PC.

EDIT: IMO we have pretty much totally covered video it's about as good as it's going to get. Does anyone have any reccomendations for sound? either new plugins, or new settings for the existing plugins.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:01:51 PM by Sabator »

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
Nice guide man.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
They can't get enough of me

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
Revamped the OP yet again. Made the new gsdx stand out more, included info on configurating video/sound, included info on speed hacks for fags with shit computers. Unless a revelation in sound processing comes along, this should be final.

Offline Toastman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
Anyone else get lag when you're in the character select screen and you are choosing what moon style to use?

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »
Followed your new instructions and now it looks perfect : )  Thanks again!