When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: . . . I am in need of help.  (Read 4856 times)

Offline AmagicalFishy

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
. . . I am in need of help.
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »
Hey, guys.

I've just started playing this game a couple of days ago -- I use an Xbox360 controller (yeah, not the best choice). -- But how the do you guys do it?

I've played some people online thinking, "If I play people who're a lot better than me, I should learn how to play." I'm very patient, and losing 130 straight rounds doesn't both me—but, unfortunately, I'm not leaning anything.

I've spent hours in practice trying to pull off combos, and I have a decent grasp of ground combos; air ones are the ones whose timing is really tricking me up; is it just a matter of practice? Also. . . what other things do I learn? I pretty much know nothing of this game, and even if I were to master the combos, I highly doubt I would be able to pull any of them off.

I play Kohaku mainly, also.

Offline Coren

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 64
  • Swag
    • View Profile
Re: . . . I am in need of help.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »
First of all, which game?

And how do I do it? Several hundred hours of practice and 400-ish MBAC matches versus Press. If this is your first Fighting game with jumpcancelling and aerials combos it'll take you a while to get used to it. It took me months to get used to it when I first started two years ago.
Combos so bright I gotta wear shades.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »
If you can follow them and understand what's going on, try watching match videos to get a better grasp of timing and how combos work.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline AmagicalFishy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
I was into Guilty Gear for a while—but I could never master Roman Cancels and stuff. I can follow the matches in terms of what move they're using, but that's about it (and that doesn't help me very much :().

Isn't there something that would help me learn jumpcancelling, aerial combos, etc. other than playing for hours on end?

. . . Like. . . tips?

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
Try a different character? Tohno Shiki is very noob friendly and should get you an understanding of how to jump cancel in aerial combos. Alternatively, if you're too lazy, you can use Nrvnqsr and just spam jC. It works.

Of course, once you understand how jump cancels work you can switch back to Kohaku. Or maybe you find that the character you tried is to your liking and end up using that character as your main. I dunno, your call.
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline Coren

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 64
  • Swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
Okay, I'll give you a few basic tips (I'm assuming you're playing MBAc, rather than MBAA) to help you along with the jumpcanceling thing:

1) When you are doing your launcher for your combo (i.e. 2C5C for tohno) you want to buffer the 9 (your jump) into the last attack you do on the ground. So it'll go something like this (again using Tohno as a basic example):

2AA 5B 2C 5C9 (you want to press and hold 9 during the 5C) at which point you should see Tohno stop his 5C and jump (the recovery will be canceled, jump cancel.)

2) When in the air comboing you want to buffer the jump for the last hit of the last input before you need to cancel; again using Tohno as an example:

2AA 5B 2C 5C9 j.BC9(buffer the 9 in the hit) dj.BC airthrow\

Work on the buffering, it's not do the move then hit 9, it's hit 9 during the move to cancel it, and holding the 9 down really helps. Also you can mash out combos in MBAC ( for j.BC you can MASH BBBBBBBBBBBB until you see the j.B come out, then you can MASH CCCCCCCCCCC until you see the j.C come out.)

Hope this helps; mashing isn't a great habit to have, but it can help you get the combo.
Combos so bright I gotta wear shades.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
Some things to take note of:
-You generally want to input the aerial attacks as quickly as possible
-You have to release the jump direction before button presses are recognized for air normals
-Time your jump cancels/air throws to the moment of impact for the attack prior (j.bc > jump cancel = input the jump when the j.c hits)
-Watch videos and try pressing buttons during the air combo with their timing if you still can't get it
-If all else fails, just keep grinding in practice while varying your timing until you get it

Good luck.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline AmagicalFishy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »
Hey, thanks for all your tips, guys. I've been trying to implement them into my game play. Playing this game online is extremely disheartening.  :-\

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:20:28 AM »
Late reply to this, but I hope this helps you out.

Here is my input. Don't play against a variety of players for now until you learn the basics of the game. Go to YouTube and look up tutorial videos, they generally are fairly friendly and tell you what to do with button inputs assuming you are familiar enough with the 1, 2, 3, etc. directional input. A few good ones I used when starting out on Melty are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbqaak52pjc (Ciel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWggitBqiPo (Aoko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBoT4DbKPFM (Hisui)

These ones are all put together by ikusat, who did a damn good job in my opinion. These are all outdated at this point, as far as the effectiveness of the combos, but it will definitely be useful for starting you on your way.

Stay in practice mode just pulling off these BnB basics that the videos guide you through. When you can get the combos down consistently and fluidly, you'll know that you have the basics down like jump cancelling, shield cancelling, A-whiffing, jump B-C, etc. If you have trouble pulling off the stuff in here (from the basic BnB parts only) then those are what you need to work on. The advanced tutorial section in Ikusat's videos tend to be rather strict in your frame timing and can still be difficult for an advanced/experienced player to pull off, so don't fret if you can't get those down immediately. Remember that these videos are out of date and will not work as well as they do in the tutorials with the more recent patches to MBAC.

After you are able to pull off the basics against the computer in practice consistently with other characters, I would recommend going back to your character and learning what each of their moves are from the basics (2A, 5B, 6C, jC, etc.) to the command input ones (22A, 236B, 214A, etc.) and then watching combo videos for that character. If you are familiar with what your character can do, then you should be able to read the combo videos to a degree and it will give you an idea of what you can do with your character.

Don't spend too much time with other players in netplay as netplay can be laggy at times and if you jump from opponent to opponent, they may not be able to help too much as you are just getting beat in repeated matches. Melty Blood isn't that beginner friendly in learning from getting beat on, it's a fast paced game in which you can lose half your health from a single combo if you don't know how to reduce damage properly or tech properly and that can be discouraging to newer players, so I recommend practice mode to hone your skills and to start from there.

After you know your character's basics at least and are able to pull off the basic techniques of the game: shield cancelling, jump cancelling, etc. join the Melty Blood IRC channels and get advice from players in there, their input is much more beneficial if you can actually put it in effect without too much trouble. Additionally, having the game windowed while in IRC is good as well so you can switch back and forth when someone tells you something to try out. Finally, after you feel comfortable with your character's basics, skills and abilities, take your game to Netplay and take on other players.

When you lose to an opponent or if you repeatedly fall for the same combo, ask your opponent for how they started the combo: is it a tech punish, is it a high-low mixup that you need to watch for, should you opt to shield instead of block to avoid frame traps, how to avoid sandoori, etc. Ask your opponent on how they do their combo on you that you fall for, ask what to look for on how to avoid it next time; since it is a combo your opponent does, chances are very good they also know how to block the same combo/not get stuck by it. Me, when I play against another opponent, if I fall for the same stuff over and over, I generally see the mistakes I'm doing, but if not I ask them what I'm doing wrong and what not to do next time. Granted, I still consistently make the same mistakes even after being told what I'm doing wrong, but at least it will allow you to see what you are doing wrong because once you know you are doing it wrong, each time you do it you realize you messed up the moment you do it. It's good because it will eventually get you to stop doing whatever it is and gradually hone your playing to a more refined play style.

Hope these tips will help out your game and get you on the way to being a better Melty Blood player. There are various Melty Blood tournaments and events held by fans of the game where you can go to get advice and tips from players in person, or if you are in luck, there may be players nearby where you live that would be willing to help out a newbie player, I recommend checking out the Regional Community thread here on the forums as well if you get a chance.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:32:24 AM by ShinMasaki »
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 12:43:27 AM »
Is "Amagicalfishy" secret code for... MAGIKARP?

:psyduck:
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline s4itox

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • So who was phone?
    • View Profile
    • deeeeeeeeeeeeebiant art
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 02:10:55 AM »
Is "Amagicalfishy" secret code for... MAGIKARP?

:psyduck:

Nay, I do believe it's actually code for Seaking.
Ya know, Seaking help?