When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Looking for Melty Blood USB Game Pad Opinions  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
Looking for Melty Blood USB Game Pad Opinions
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:14:11 AM »
As the title suggests, I am looking for opinions about different brands and models of USB game pads for Melty Blood Re-ACT/the upcoming AC ver.B.

I am looking for something comfortable, that can take a little bit of a beating (for example, if i were to step on it once, it wouldn't shatter...). Cheap is also a big plus. I would consider a joystick except for its price range. $50+ for a decent quality one is way too much for my financial situation right now. USB joypads are usually much cheaper from what I've seen.
I DO have an older joystick for N64 entitled "Arcade Shark," and I've heard there are USB adapters for those, but its button setup is somewhat similar to that of an N64's and thus I'm not sure if it would be very Melty Blood friendly. It looks like this:

The joystick can be unscrewed and put in the left thing instead.

In other news, and the reason I'm posting this - I'm planning on going to the next West Toast on July 14th, as I live ~50-70 minutes away, the drive won't be too bad. I'm bringing a friend or two that I introduced to Melty Blood Re-ACT along too. I fully expect all of us to get our asses kicked, but I plan to have a fun time anyway :D. For this reason, I figured i would at least do my best to get used to something other than my laptop keyboard for controls.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Melty Blood USB Game Pad Opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 01:39:48 AM »
I recommend investing in a cheap stick (Small Soul Calibur 2 PS2 stick, Tekken 5 stick, imported small Hori stick) and getting a playstation to USB converter. http://cgi.ebay.com/PS-PS2-USB-Dual-Player-Converter-Adapter-for-PC-p002u_W0QQitemZ230146843189QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41059QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 02:36:39 AM »
The Hori sticks appear to start at the absolute lowest of $50 + shipping. Throw in a ps2/usb converter with that and I'd be looking at over $60, which is a bit more than my budget at the moment. I guess I'll see what I can do to scrape up funds. Any other suggestions?

Edit: I might be able to get that stick at my local Fry's and thus drop the shipping. I'll have to ask them about the price when they open this morning.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:38:15 AM by Soniti »

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 02:55:02 AM »
I honestly don't recommend pad to anyone anymore, even people on a budget. Getting a USB converter and using a PSX/PS2 pad would be better than buying a gamepad out on the market today. The biggest problem? A d-pad fit for fighting games.

I recommend getting a stick, any stick, as soon as possible.

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 03:23:42 AM »
Now that I think about it, having a gamepad/stick that works with both ps2 and pc is ideal anyway... That way I would be able to use it at tournaments that involve the PS2 Act Cadenza. Anyway, you convinced me about joystick thing. I guess I'll scour the internet/local stores for the best deals on one of the sticks you mentioned. Other low-budget stick suggestions from other people would be appreciated in the mean time ;)

Offline mir

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw hori fighting sticks going for 49.99 at Fry's last time I was there. Though I can't remember if it was the PS3 or PS2 version...do the usb adapters support the ps3 version anyways?
There's nothing to fear now.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
PS3 uses usb. Yes, they are compatible, but you gotta find some drivers.
what the fuck is this game

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 09:03:56 PM »
I did a bit of research on that, and it seems you are correct about it being compatible with PC with the proper drivers, however it won't work with PS2, which is a bad thing for tournaments/possibly getting AC PS2 in the future sometime.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »
You can get usb converters for ps2 controllers for like $15 (not including shipping) and they'll last you fucking forever.  Plus ps2 controllers are far superior to most gamepads.  Additionally, if you want to get two people up on one pc, gamepads require one usb port each, whereas just one usb converter can have up to 4 slots for ps2 controllers.  So saves space as well.  Also, when you get a stick, they work with those as well.

They're just all around superior.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:48:49 PM »
I went ahead and got this while I could for the price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200125667968&rd=1&rd=1

$7 bucks including shipping, not bad I guess. Now to worry about the Hori Fighting Stick 2, which is $50 + $28 shipping >.>

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 11:22:59 PM »
Honestly, that converter is really nice. It looks like a cheap hong kong product, but the actual box is light but pretty sturdy, and there are blue LEDs that light up when you have something plugged into it. On a list of DDR pad to PC converters, it got some pretty raving reviews (that I found AFTER I bought the thing) :D

Offline WickedElement

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Might as well jump! :3
    • View Profile
    • Myspace - Melty Blood
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 03:48:40 AM »
If you like using PSX/PS2 pads or HRAP joysticks, then this little adapter will rock your socks off.  :psyduck:
http://www.redoctane.com/universaladapter.html
It lets you use the pads/sticks for your gamecube, xbox, and pc.  ;D
It also comes with a floppy disk that has the drivers for it or you can just download it off of the site itself.
I have two of these and they are very responsive. Just ask Numakie.  ;)
It is a bit expensive, but its works great with Melty Blood.  :toot:

That is, if you have a PSX/PS2 pad/stick.  :V
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:50:40 AM by WickedElement »
3s:Hugo-Elena-Dudley|KoF98/UM:Takuma-Daimon-Andy
A3:Gen-Zangief-Charlie|GGAC:Baiken-A.B.A.-Potemkin
KoFXI:Yuri-Vanessa-Shingo|T5/DR/6:Lei-Baek-Asuka
SST:Hanzo-Jubei-Nicotine|VF4 Evo/5:Wolf-Akira-Eileen ST:Zangief-Fei Long-DJ|FFS:Big Bear-Andy-Tung MB:Miyako-Ciel-Kouma|RB2:Bash-Xiangfei-Andy

Offline s0ma

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
If you like using PSX/PS2 pads or HRAP joysticks, then this little adapter will rock your socks off.  :psyduck:
http://www.redoctane.com/universaladapter.html
It lets you use the pads/sticks for your gamecube, xbox, and pc.  ;D
It also comes with a floppy disk that has the drivers for it or you can just download it off of the site itself.
I have two of these and they are very responsive. Just ask Numakie.  ;)
It is a bit expensive, but its works great with Melty Blood.  :toot:

That is, if you have a PSX/PS2 pad/stick.  :V

I'm assuming these have minimal/no lag time with HRAP/HRAP2's? The only reason I ask is that I've read around that certain USB adapters (like the ones that can be found on eBay) generally are good for anything that uses an original PS2 pad PCB, but HRAP's tend not to fare as well. I can't vouch for me as I've never owned an adapter myself.

However, assuming this Red Octane one will work great with my HRAP2, I think I'll probably purchase it just in time for ver.B2 coming out.  :fap: