When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: MBAA Final Tuned (ITT: let's stop fucking talking about the PC port period)  (Read 56369 times)

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
Re: MBAA Final Tuned (ITT: let's stop fucking talking about the PC port period)
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
Fuck a PC port and netplay, and fuck more new characters. This is not smash where we take as many possible characters from our favorite franchises and see them duke it out because it'd be an "epic battle". As benny said they need to make other characters more viable and basically balance the fucking game so that people actually have to think and try out to find out who they want to play instead of saying "hey i played this char in mbac and two of the grooves are useless so i'm set"

as for a pc port and netplay, it would greatly benefit the casuals and randoms and get a lot of people to try the game out for a little bit but it would fuck over the tournament scene and shaft those who are dedicated enough to travel and teach others to create comp in this game. It makes no fucking sense to reward those who have sat there and played the game occasionally at home and fuck over those who have more or less mained this game for years. And yes, this IS coming from someone who is $100 and a 10 hour bus ride away from NYC, and HAS made that trip. Want to know a game that was stuck on PC and had tons of netplay going on but little tournament attention? Akatsuki Blitzkampf. There you fucking go. Would you want to see MB turned into netplay and nothing else? Because if it does, it goes from a competitive fighting game to a way to kill some time. If you're in europe and are complaining about language barriers and waters to cross sorry but that's one of the MANY issues you should have had to deal with by now for living there, whether it was your choice or not. They are making this game for japan where players are more accessible and don't give a jack shit about europe or USA and we're lucky enough to have a ps2 port period because if they wanted they could release everything arcade only. end rant

the -best- thing that could happen for this game would be for the sprite quality to be improved and the game released, with netplay, on XBLA and PSN. that's really the only way to please everyone (and i mean everyone). and they probably recognize this too but i'm sure we all know that this isn't going to happen unfortunately

as for good things that will come of MBAA:FT, anyone who plays a console only character will finally get their characters explored by real players so that everyone can just X-COPY them rather than struggling to create playstyle, setups, mixups, pressure strings, etc completely on their own. their also might be some slight tier shifts and some use of other characters (who are low tier) since there were quite a number of minor changes to more than a few characters to balance out some genuinely broken things (like that one akiha AD setup).
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

<kijea> im like really sad life faggot

Offline Shizuka

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »
why so srs?
<LoliSauce> I bet they'd make them for the opportunity to get any other form of currency!
<shizuka> ahh apparently zimbabwe doesn't use the zimbabwean dollar anymore
<LoliSauce> whaaaaa
<LoliSauce> my plans have been foiled <LoliSauce> =<

Offline NoNo

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »
I play mb on netplay every day, guilty gear every week or so, and MBAA every 2 monthes, but MB AC is less competitive than the other two, because it's netplay ?

Sure.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
I play mb on netplay every day, guilty gear every week or so, and MBAA every 2 monthes, but MB AC is less competitive than the other two, because it's netplay ?

Sure.

casual netplay games with input lag and no tourney pressure are not competitive matches.
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Sphyra

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • Mind Over Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
I did your NEC trip S-Blade and I still want my netplay. Now wut?!
Don't give in to astonishment!

Offline Seyluun

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »
It makes no fucking sens to wish for the game to be played by less people, regardless of their levels or degrees of commitment, or to think that the netplay cant help the overall level when the time for a RL tournament come. I also concur on the "why so srs" motion. This coming from someone who commuted 4 hours today to play some mbaa.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »
Look, the PS2 ports of this game have brought in more people then the PC ports ever did. An absurd amount more. It's done more for the community then the PC ports ever did as well. Outside of the given spots where MB had always been a mainstay (NYC and parts of WC) noone ever really bothered to lug a PC or laptop to a tournament to play the game when that was it's only option, and outside of EVO and NEC, no tournament held the game either, but now some tournaments in this day of SF4 revitalization are bothering to give the game a chance again. Frosty Faustings is a prime example of that. I don't think Shinblanka would give us a chance if we suddenly told him we'd need enough spaces for four gaming rigs and enough electrical outlets to power Madagascar for a week.

If this community continued to get larger, and got more attention, and a PC port came out with whatever that made the PS2 port obsolete, it would fuck everything up. Hard. Just the notion that some people would never even bother joining the community outside of their monitor, no matter what it took just kills me, and I don't want that to happen again. I knew a huge amount of people within perfectly acceptable traveling distance that wouldn't get into the community because they'd rather just netplay. Ugh.

Let's just work with what we've got now and stop whining and moaning for a port when we've already got one. Please.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 05:18:56 PM by Master Chibi »
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Masu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
Only reason I'd be cool with a PC port would be just to play it on the go, like on a road trip. Otherwise its much better to get together with a group of people and play on the big screen.

Offline NoNo

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »

Sure.

casual netplay games with input lag and no tourney pressure are not competitive matches.
Lag barely make a game less competitive, people playing it definitely make it more competitive. Our offline sessions would never had happenned save the daily netplay. The game wasnt played at all before MBAC PC.

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2009, 12:21:43 AM »
Are we actually still talking about this. . . ?
They can't get enough of me

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
*looks at title*

*reads thread*

*sigh*

I'm just waiting to see what balances they're making. Mainly to console characters like Ryougi and SAkiha.
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline Level 0

• Midboss
  • Jr. Spellcaster
  • Mash A!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks Tohno SHIKI should be added? It makes more sense than adding more KnK/Fate characters.

Also buff the Necos and nerf AT Moon to make them tournament viable.

I don't know much about TM, so I'll just ask - what do you mean by adding Tohno SHIKI?  Are you making a joke because he isn't being played much, or is there another I don't know about? ???

Also buffing Necos would be kinda hilarious, like watching Dan become usable in SVC:Chaos. :V  But then winning with one wouldn't have the same impact.

And fuck AT Moon.  Only way it would be worth making her usable is if they actually, idk, MADE UNIQUE SPRITES for her.  Just saying.

(BTW I know it's been forever since I posted here, but I'm Big:Sexy.  I changed my name because Lolisauce was convinced this was more appropriate.  Yomi fail ftl. :emo:)
I have much to learn.  Evidently I'm one of the few F-Kouma's in the west?  If I get good enough, maybe I can make people see why I like him.

Lolisauce: this is why I'm a loli's best friend
Lolisauce: I bring warmth and fuzziness Lolisauce: and occasionally penis

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2009, 02:15:30 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks Tohno SHIKI should be added? It makes more sense than adding more KnK/Fate characters.

Also buff the Necos and nerf AT Moon to make them tournament viable.

I don't know much about TM, so I'll just ask - what do you mean by adding Tohno SHIKI?  Are you making a joke because he isn't being played much, or is there another I don't know about? ???

Also buffing Necos would be kinda hilarious, like watching Dan become usable in SVC:Chaos. :V  But then winning with one wouldn't have the same impact.

And fuck AT Moon.  Only way it would be worth making her usable is if they actually, idk, MADE UNIQUE SPRITES for her.  Just saying.

(BTW I know it's been forever since I posted here, but I'm Big:Sexy.  I changed my name because Lolisauce was convinced this was more appropriate.  Yomi fail ftl. :emo:)
Yo, good to see you actually post.  Looks like my harping on you finally sunk in a little.  I don't think anyone will know you from before due to your COMPLETE LACK OF ACTIVITY FOR LIKE A YEAR.

SHIKI is a different person than Shiki.  You can't tell the difference in names due to the japanese spelling being different but still being pronounced the same.  SHIKI is the real Tohno Shiki, with demon blood and possessed by Roa.  Shiki is the lighter side of Tohno Nanaya.  (btw, Tohno Shiki in MBAA is buff now, as much as I make fun of him for his gimpy airdash.  He gets mad play in Japan.)

Also fuck the jokes and the brokes.  Necos and AT:Earth are dumb.  All I care about is what balancing changes they will inevitably make.  (cuz really, I doubt they're going to be adding in more shit at this stage)
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Iduno

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: -3
  • Trying to main C W.Len
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2009, 07:18:44 AM »
Ah so it's ok to talk about the PC port as long as you cry about it and make chicken little "The sky is falling" predictions about it, that's cool.

Also I think viable Necos would be cool, nothing like seeing Neco Chaos on his bird super with the lazer eyes fighting on par with everyone else.
My Blazblue match videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#play/all

SvB entrys are now open for online registration!

Offline sevalle

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2009, 08:28:15 AM »
I doubt Archetype:Earth would be made into a tournament-legit character, imo she's just a nod to Crimson Moon's omgwtfhax power ranking in Nasuverse.

Anyway, even if they did make her tournament-legit, I shudder to think of the possibility that she will be nerfed to D-tier, it would make her a total joke being the strongest canon-wise and the weakest gameplay-wise  :emo:

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2009, 09:02:22 AM »
Are we actually still talking about this. . . ?

:mystery:
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline jiyuna

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • NETPLAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »
only TOP PLAYERS have a right to talk.
NETPLAY

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
this thread is stupid.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2009, 09:24:55 AM »
Hay mauve can u make a netplay for my toast?

Thx, here is the toast!

~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline MK dagawd

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
  Hey look, its THIS thread again.  *Opinions*
Veterans who have put effort into traveling:  Netplay kills the scene, a port to an ancient console will surely help the scene and attract more players than playing over the internet!
Casuals:  I demand scrub netplay!  Matches with lag and keyboards are true competition!
People who only care about playing the game:  I like both.

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »
 Hey look, its THIS thread again.  *Opinions*
Veterans who have put effort into traveling:  Netplay kills the scene, a port to an ancient console will surely help the scene and attract more players than playing over the internet!
Casuals:  I demand scrub netplay!  Matches with lag and keyboards are true competition!
People who only care about playing the game:  I like both.

pretty much this.

and i'm the one who's getting jerked around back and forth because of it, as i'm one of the only two competent enough hackers that can do anything regarding netplay around here.

and, y'know? i'm a lot sick of dealing with all sorts of dumb scene politics just so i can play a fucking game. i don't give a fuck about the scene or the scrubs, or complaints about how serious you are or aren't. i just want to play, and i know there are others who look at this crap with equal frustration.

the best part about this thread is that nobody even knows if there will be a pc version. if you guys cause this much drama over speculative bullshit i can't even imagine what kind of shitstorms will pop up if it ever does exist. i sincerely doubt ecole is going to decide whether or not to make one based on the opinions of some people in a market that they don't even sell to, who probably won't even buy the game.

Offline mir

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
Hmm is there any actual info about what changes they're making?
There's nothing to fear now.

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2009, 10:23:56 AM »
Nothing official. All there is to it is that its supposedly the PS2 version on arcade cabs (all characters minus AT:E) with a few minor changes, hopefully to make lesser known characters and character/moon who fade in the shadow of better moon (i.e. C and H-VSion) a little more solid and unique. I don't expect any new characters, since they're adding all of the console ones and that's about 5-6 new ones for the arcade.

In other news: Ya'll niggas crazy. Sup MK.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
the best part of this thread is that neither side is hitting the real issue.

pc advocates want the game on pc because: 1) they want to pirate the game in an easier way and 2) there's a chance for netplay instead of none at all.

console advocates want the game on console because: 1) it's easier to run at events and 2) there's this widespread notion that netplay kills scenes.

if your scene dies because it's reduced to netplay only, it wasn't a strong scene to begin with. netplay has only a minor effect on actual numbers. the dedicated players will still show. the netplayers will still stay home. only a few will turn down an event to stay home and netplay, and only a few will work up the effort required to travel. both sides have legit reasons for what they do.

the console mbac players mostly remember what happened to the tourney scene when pc came out and associated netplay with killing the community. while that may partially be true the plain fact is pc is harder to set up and maintain at events, and less accepted by other communities, and in the long run this plus a gradual lack of interest was what killed the competitive mbac scene.

the tourney players don't want a repeat of this to happen to mbaa which is why there has been a lot of kneejerk reactions to a pc version. however, none of the speculation matters because nothing has been announced. it would certainly make sense and seem logical judging by the hardware they're using but right now 95% of this thread is a bunch of crying over absolutely nothing.

also, while people in europe (who constitute most of the people mocking the oconsole players) have a legitimate reason to ask for netplay, some of them would do well to remember: netplay is not real competition in the fighting game genre. playing casual matches with a friend daily means nothing. playing a game daily when the top players have left it behind means nothing. real competition comes when people still have the desire to level up and get past the netplay to experience tourney pressure when there's actual stakes involved. mbac stopped being competitive a while ago, so please don't fool yourself into believing otherwise.

in the end neither side is going to agree with the other. the console players are still going to cast netplayers as lazy bums who don't want to travel (when that is not always true), and pc players will still mock the offline players who think their way is the only way. just remember that netplay can help a scene but it is not the way communities can be maintained. the offline players still need to represent and push the envelope. netplay can be a tool towards becoming a better player, but it should not be confused as the only way a game should be played. similarly, the netplayers need to understand that some people have more accessibility than they do and are willing to go further than the monitor, and that effort should be seen as a step towards improving the scene and the game's presence instead of derided.

and remember there's no pc version announced yet. jesus christ. stop overreacting.
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »
snip

Yes, excellent summarization.  I hope this will finally put the nail in the coffin for netplay vs console play discussion, and we can continue focusing onto Final Tuned news and gossip.
digitalpugilist.com