When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: MB:AA to NOT appear at SBO 2009  (Read 34325 times)

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
Re: MB:AA to NOT appear at SBO 2009
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 03:17:08 PM »
Be fair... if you saw the equivalent of Ciel's full-screen black-keys infinite, Akiha corner infinites and game freezing glitches in version 1 in -any- game, how much money would you put on the version 2 that came out last week?

Because people quit capcom after A3's V-ism infinites, snk after every kof, guilty gear never got popular, hnk didn't get that second year in sbo, and no-one played the marvel series.

Offline Sylvan

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
Because people quit capcom after A3's V-ism infinites, snk after every kof, guilty gear never got popular, hnk didn't get that second year in sbo, and no-one played the marvel series.

Well, it's not really about there not being absolutely anything broken. There are levels of 'broken'; it'd be about how much, and how badly limiting, and how obvious it is to everyone else watching. Most people can tell when something's embarrasingly messed up.

Everyone will decide for themselves if the broken-ness in those games you mentioned is as feasable, visibly apparent, or as numerous, as the things seen in AA.

Anyway, I'll probably just leave it at that. Happy new year, everyone.
-In search of Seattle Melty Blood players-

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 04:24:24 AM »
I think HnK getting a second year at SBO really defines how little they care about broken ass games.  11 second rounds, comboing into IKs, etc.  And I think you're trying to defend a little too hard if you say that balancing tweaks is any reason not to put a game into SBO.  Every fighter constantly goes through balancing tweaks.  It'd be impossible NOT to have to work on balancing when you added in nearly triple the content in a fighting game sequel.  The simple fact is that even with infinites, there is a pretty significant number of characters showing up in the top of tourneys.  I'd say that's a hell of a lot more balanced that some big name fighters out there.

I can understand you trying to stand up for Capcom, and really it's not anyone's place to claim it's them shouldering Ecole to the side.  I'm near certain that no company would be stupid enough to pull their game out of an event as big as SBO, though.  Ever heard the phrase "any publicity is good publicity"?  A game making noise, whether good or bad, still brings notice.  That's exactly what Ecole would want to do right now, especially since MBAA has managed to garner a surprising amount of popularity.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline AkiraTheMastodon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • 暁を映して。
    • View Profile
    • My u2b.
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 08:30:08 AM »
Be fair... if you saw the equivalent of Ciel's full-screen black-keys infinite, Akiha corner infinites and game freezing glitches in version 1 in -any- game, how much money would you put on the version 2 that came out last week? If it was TvC, people here would say it's shit
Course I'm being fair.
Considering I've played BOTH the original and VerA, I can at least say I've "been there/done that"
If you want to go on listing, might as well dump in H Aoko's retardedness.

I have been caught in these infinites, but I didn't really care. I still played anyway.
At least one thing shows. Ecole put out a patched version pretty fast. Anything that was broken, is now fixed.
Characters like Roa who sucked absolute shit in the original are now at least playable.
yada yada.

verA is DAMN good compared to the original.
In the words of ILS...
"MBAA has become a great game now."

Come on, that's like everything important in the game you really think you're being fair here?

Anyway, I don't have any evidence for anything, I don't think anyone does. I'm just attempting to be a voice of reason here.
Again, yeah I think I'm being pretty fair.

Also, Akira, props for Askai song in your sig.
A.Dogma...another godly work by Asaki.
God bless that artist.
Name courtesy of LoliSauce.
俺のパーフェクトさんすう教室。
答えは答えはゼロ人ゼロ人
なぜならなぜならそれは。。。 幻想郷にバス無い!

Offline bucklemyshoe

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
Everytime I watch match vids I think it sucks that this game won't be in SBO.

I mean, I like playing fate but honestly watching it has already become boring as shit. I rather watch Super Turbo even.
Nyan nyan, nyan nyan, nihao nyan! Gorgeous, delicious deculture!

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »
The infinites don't make MBAA/Ecole look stupid. There were infinites before and the game was still in SBO. And look at games like Hokuto no Ken which was in SBO... it had all those infinites as well and it was still in the line up.

SBO hardly represents the top fighting games nowadays, it's more of a marketing event now for companies to promote their games as a 'top fighter.'

And missing out on SBO this year, so does that mean that we'll be seeing a port soon? Since arcade sales or whatever are sure to take a dip?

Offline Qaenyin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »
I think the number of broken combos and infinites in MBAA's original release version really strained their trust in the game
what is unlimited codes doing there then

Unlimited Codes has annoyingly broken-ass combos, but no character has an easily accomplished infinite(and as far as I've seen I believe the infinites that were in the game have long since been removed by rebalancing.  Saber's, for example).  Certainly the combos are rather over the top, but no moreso than guilty gear(hello Slayer).

HnK getting two years at SBO honestly did confuse me when it happened, but still, that game requires some execution difficulty.  There's a difference between an infinite that requires strict execution(See Denpa's Satsuki infinite in MBAC B2) as an infinite that is just mashing one button repeatedly more or less(Ciel Key infinite in MBAA).  You can look at HnK and, even though the game is broken, at least look at a player and see that he didn't win purely by spamming one broken move, he had to learn how to play the game.  That's true as well of F/UC, which is also an execution-heavy long-ass combo centric game much like HnK(although in my opinion it is arguably far more balanced than HnK ever was).  It's even true of MvC2 despite how much I dislike that game.  People do not win major tournaments just by mashing buttons. 

MBAA in it's original incarnation was far far too broken to be considered playable in a competetive scene.  Now it isn't, but that probably stressed Tougeki's trust in the game, and I imagine they're taking a "wait and see" approach currently.

As for MBAC Ver. A's Sion infinite, well, yeah, that was dumb as all hell.  Perhaps that whole fiasco is the reason they're being so reluctant to have a second recurrence of that?

As for TvC, well, I don't like the game, but I am not fond of any of the vs Capcom series other than CvS2, that's a personal dislike.

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
The infinites don't make MBAA/Ecole look stupid. There were infinites before and the game was still in SBO. And look at games like Hokuto no Ken which was in SBO... it had all those infinites as well and it was still in the line up.

SBO hardly represents the top fighting games nowadays, it's more of a marketing event now for companies to promote their games as a 'top fighter.'

And missing out on SBO this year, so does that mean that we'll be seeing a port soon? Since arcade sales or whatever are sure to take a dip?

Why would arcade sales take a dip?

SBO isn't for MONTHS.

As previously said before Version A has been released(for a while now)and fixed the broken crap.

Who is Sylvan? I'm pretty sure F/UC is broken as crap, HnK is even more broken, and TvC(seriously does jp even play this when they hate Mahvel)had 99% combos on the second day after it was released. Are you seriously telling me that pre-patch MBAA was more broken than these games?
<kijea> anyone pick me up for AM4
<kijea> plz
<kijea> i will suck ur dick

Offline Sylvan

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
Who is Sylvan?
::)

I'm pretty sure F/UC is broken as crap, HnK is even more broken, and TvC(seriously does jp even play this when they hate Mahvel)had 99% combos on the second day after it was released. Are you seriously telling me that pre-patch MBAA was more broken than these games?
You're really trying to make an argument for pre-patch MBAA? Because I don't think anyone else is attempting that here.
Yes, pre-patch MBAA is certainly more mindlessly broken than those games. 2-attack infinites, game-freezing bugs... definitely, visibly broken.

Seems like most people's assessment of games here is based on their personal preference, and not a very objective consideration of the game's tournament worth. "I have been caught in these infinites, but I didn't really care.", so you cut MBAA slack because you like the game. "As for TvC (..) I am not fond of any of the vs Capcom series other than CvS2, that's a personal dislike."
Preferences are fine; I just thought we were discussing this in different terms. I don't like BlazBlue; that's no reason for me to go around saying it's a terrible game, unfit for Tougeki.

Offline Nightvoomer

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • logical conclusion of playing H-Akiha
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »
TvC has aspect ratio specific combos...hope you practice on whatever ratio they pick for sbo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl-iBCiLClo

Chars don't need infinities because their combos 100% you

Edit:
These are on the char with the lowest life value

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ3zjpPT4fw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCcNu7x-qcY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2dxpwmfGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okngP08nU4w&feature=channel_page

Edit:
infinities?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5732187
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5732475
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:45:57 PM by Nightvoomer »
<GenericSu> actually pfhor is just one of those super anti nero guys

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2009, 01:18:03 AM »
100% combos that happen almost every game isn't as broken 60% to time-over that don't happen every game.  Sorry guys, MBAA is trash.

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 03:08:43 AM »
Guys, balance is boring and dumb to watch unless a majority agrees its not. Infnites are broken unless they're fun to watch, execution heavy, and a majority says its okay to do.... or the game has a burst mechanic, then its just loops. We wont know the reason for the decisions made until SBO HIMSELF tells someone why, and that someone publishes it in a magazine, and then that magazine gets scanned onto the internet, and then someone translates it.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 05:10:57 AM »
Seems like most people's assessment of games here is based on their personal preference, and not a very objective consideration of the game's tournament worth. "I have been caught in these infinites, but I didn't really care.", so you cut MBAA slack because you like the game. "As for TvC (..) I am not fond of any of the vs Capcom series other than CvS2, that's a personal dislike."
Preferences are fine; I just thought we were discussing this in different terms. I don't like BlazBlue; that's no reason for me to go around saying it's a terrible game, unfit for Tougeki.
I'm actually a little offended that you pick out the few arguements based on personal opinion and completely ignore every objective comment that has been posted on the matter.  How much empirical evidence do you need highlighting the broken aspects of TvC and FUC, SBO's history with games that have just released or have been very broken, or even simply comparing MBAA to these points to show that MBAA is a very worthy contender for this year's SBO before you will recognize any of it?  Sure, this is a Melty Blood forum, and there will be some blind faith towards it, but a good bit of us are making valid points in favor of MBAA being in SBO.  Truly objective comments don't just leave all bias on the sidelines, they also need to acknowledge all the facts.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline AkiraTheMastodon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • 暁を映して。
    • View Profile
    • My u2b.
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »
"I have been caught in these infinites, but I didn't really care.", so you cut MBAA slack because you like the game. "
Sure I cut it some slack. Does it matter?
Not like my opinion is the only one.
Im pretty sure everyone else might mind though.

It sounds like right now all you're trying to do is pick arguments with people already.
You won't get anywhere with that, especially since everyone in this thread is just going to disagree with you.
Name courtesy of LoliSauce.
俺のパーフェクトさんすう教室。
答えは答えはゼロ人ゼロ人
なぜならなぜならそれは。。。 幻想郷にバス無い!

Offline Sylvan

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
I'm actually a little offended that you pick out the few arguements based on personal opinion and completely ignore every objective comment that has been posted on the matter. 
Well the argument I'd previously been making, on all my other posts, doesn't ignore any objective statements. I actually think I'd replied to most of the non-redundant arguments at the time of my last post, and I did agree that the Sion infinites in Tougeki make a case for disregarding MB's balance.
Hopefully you don't think the 4 lines I wrote about people's bias, in tone of personal opinion, nullifies the rest of my posts where objective statements weren't ignored. I do suppose the implied reach of my last segment was too big (I'd said "most people's assessment", that may be too broad). I'd apologize, if that's what was wrong. I'm not trying to pick fights.

In the end, I'd already really said about everything I had to say on the issue, so I'd take back that stuff on my last post if it upsets anyone.
Though If someone shows up and specifically asks me if I think that pre-patch MBAA is more broken than certain other games, I might come by to say it is  :bleh:

Sure I cut it some slack. Does it matter?
Well, you originally wrote that in response to my asking you if you though you were being fair.
If you're being fair, you're not "cutting slack". That's being biased; that's the opposite of fair.
And no, I'm not trying to pick fights with anyone.

Nothing makes a statement like 5-super, assist-dependant, exhibition-style corner combos that require 20% Baroque, against the character with the lowest defense (Karas), in a game with a burst technique.
(before someone quotes me for exactness, yes I know not all of those combos are using everything I just mentioned, but several of them are and none of them are practical.. also aspect-ratio-specific combos are pretty retarded, yeah) ;D

Offline Qaenyin

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 03:12:46 PM »
Who is Sylvan?
::)

I'm pretty sure F/UC is broken as crap, HnK is even more broken, and TvC(seriously does jp even play this when they hate Mahvel)had 99% combos on the second day after it was released. Are you seriously telling me that pre-patch MBAA was more broken than these games?
You're really trying to make an argument for pre-patch MBAA? Because I don't think anyone else is attempting that here.
Yes, pre-patch MBAA is certainly more mindlessly broken than those games. 2-attack infinites, game-freezing bugs... definitely, visibly broken.

To be fair I was pointing out that I disliked TvC for personal reasons and conceding I hadn't played it or watched it enough to actually give an unbiased opinion on whether it was balanced or not.  that said, I don't like the game because it literally is just MvC1 all over again with different characters.  Capcom's first party fighting games really need to go out and stretch their legs a bit imo instead of just rehashing the same game all over again(at least MB and GG/BB actually are trying to develop new stuff to use).

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »
Personally, I'm more surprised that they kept Arcana Heart in the mix considering the bitch move that Yuki Enterprises pulled last year with the Arcana Heart Full "Upgrade" (that was really just a patch but charged $1400 for it). Ecole deserves a lot of credit for patching bugs in arcade releases free of charge.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »

Why would arcade sales take a dip?

SBO isn't for MONTHS.

Obviously I meant arcade sales over the year. Not being in SBO would mean less hype / less events for the game. Qualifications happen over the course of months leading up to SBO. Which in return would result in less people playing the game. It's just an assumption of mine anyways, not fact.

I just hope that a port comes out next year, so I can actually play the game in all its broken goodness XD.

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »

Nothing makes a statement like 5-super, assist-dependant, exhibition-style corner combos that require 20% Baroque, against the character with the lowest defense (Karas), in a game with a burst technique.
(before someone quotes me for exactness, yes I know not all of those combos are using everything I just mentioned, but several of them are and none of them are practical.. also aspect-ratio-specific combos are pretty retarded, yeah) ;D
I was thinking the same thing.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 02:36:15 AM »
I've played TVC, it's incredibly incredibly fun to just mess around in. The whole presentation, the graphics and sound and everything is just fantastic. It's possibly one of the most well-presented fighting games ever, along with CvS2 and GGAC.
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline Psylocke

• Psyduck
    • View Profile
    • Blog of Randomness
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »
This is why nobody likes TvC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwf67gJw77k
Blog

‹ Tatari|JE › I have another friend who would play MB if it was "less like Mortal Kombat"
‹ HalVegas2 › how do you compare those two ‹ sphy › every time you touch someone in mb it turns into a BRUTALITY

Offline Master Pogi

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
    • (inky);paper
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
http://i38.tinypic.com/awu7br.gif

Main: H/C-Hisui
Alt: H-Kohaku, H-S.Akiha, F-Akiha  F/UC Main: Rin Alt: Leysritt/Dark Saber

Offline Qaenyin

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

Offline Escobar

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 11
  • B.O.B.B.Y. D.I.G.I.T.A.L.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
Wins don't come much more epic than this...

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »
Actually that video is the reason its at SBO!

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?