When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Quick Action Button in Tournaments?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Squeakychu

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Quick Action Button in Tournaments?
« on: March 21, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »
Hello. This may be a simplistic question, but do tournaments use or allow use of the quick action button? I ask this because, thanks to a super tight frame window, I can't ever seem to execute a throw using A+D, and the Q button remedies this problem.

Also, does MBAA have the quick action button? It would only make sense that they do, but I just want to make sure so that I don't have to adjust too much when I go to an arcade center with this game. Thanks.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Action Button in Tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »
Yes and yes.  Q is your friend.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Squeakychu

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
Sweet! It's nice to combo into a throw without having to time button inputs. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:51:52 AM »
Not a problem.  And yeah, quick action is a savior for me as well.  It's nice to be able to one button throw, heat, and evade.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:15:27 AM »
The official button layout (for a 2 person cab) is:

Code: [Select]
Player 1 side                      Player 2 side
7 8 9       A B C                  7 8 9       A B C
4 5 6       D   Q      S    S      4 5 6       D   Q
1 2 3                              1 2 3      
Where D is shield, Q is quick action, S is start, and numbers are the joystick.

Note that MBAC PC has a 6th button, which works like Q but doesn't activate heat and I'm not sure if it dodges. I don't even know if there's any players that use it, but it's there in MBAC PC and not in any arcade versions of MBAC or MBAA.

EDIT: You should probably learn some macros anyways, even if you have trouble hitting 2 buttons at once. It's not only the functions that Q replace that have important macros. Q mainly just makes throws more accurate and there's no reason to not use Q for dodges. Holding 1 or 4 and mashing A+B+C (just B+C works in MBAC but I think you need all 3 buttons in MBAA) is the safe way to wakeup heat. If you just mash Q, then there's a chance it's not timed right, and you get hit before the heat starts. If you're holding 1/4 to block and you mistime A+B+C, you'll just block and nothing will happen. And if you hold 1/4 and mash Q, you'll attempt to throw and probably get counterhit. 6 A+B is also really useful because it's faster to hit 2 buttons than it is to double tap the stick for some things that require a fast dash (it can help speed up instant air dashes is the main use, also it keeps your directional influence in the air to a minimum for more accurate air backdash and prevents you from accidentally jumping or something). It's also much faster to do baits where you dash in to provoke a poke/heat and dash back out when you use A+B, at least in my experience. Manually I can do it fast enough to backdash most of the way through a forward dash (for someone like Kouma). By doing 6 A+B 4 A+B, the backdash cuts the forward dash off at probably less than 1/3 distance.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:36:05 AM by Ultima66 »

Offline Squeakychu

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:42:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. This has been very helpful to me. I'll practice what Ultima66 suggested to me when I get home tonight. See you online! :)

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
Wow thanks for the tip. Especially for safe wake up heats (4 [1]+<A+B+C>). That's golden.

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:27 AM »
Macros are usually banned in tournaments (except for pad/kb players), the obvious exception here is that Q is a macro button present on the actual arcade machine, and so is allowed in tournaments using the PC version.
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 02:00:06 AM »
Multiple button presses mapped to one button via in-game button setup are usually not banned in tournaments, and even when they are people use them anyway.

Fixed.

Offline Lane

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:21:24 AM »
Multiple button presses mapped to one button via in-game button setup are usually not banned in tournaments, and even when they are people use them anyway.

Fixed.

oh rry

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 02:44:06 AM »
oh rry

Based on my experience, owl.