When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: No plans for a pc port?  (Read 17362 times)

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
Re: No plans for a pc port?
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
What's moving to a populated city go to do with anything? There's probably close to three million people living in the entirety of New York City, and yet the most we could muster up for tournaments for close to two to three years was eight people. That's sad no matter how you look at it. I mean three million people and we could only get a handful of people? California is the biggest state in the US and they barely had more then three people for the same amount of time. I just did exactly what I told you guys to do. I brought MB to monthly GGXX tournaments, asked for it at NEC (the first major to let us run the game), Final Round, shit I talked to Mr. Wizard himself to see the actual validity of MB ever being in EVO, no matter how far fetched it was. Shit, look at Third Strike, in the drought the scene was in overall, the game was dropped and the community floundered, but with one console release its popularity exploded and it suddenly became foolish NOT to have it in Evo again.

I mean if you're just playing this game for shits and giggles, fine. Start it up once in a blue moon and have your fun, but if you NEVER try to get somewhere then you'll never get that chance to succeed.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 07:32:30 PM »
So you're saying there is NO place around you that holds tournaments? You have no friends to get together with to show / play this game? Period?
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 07:51:50 PM »
For our community here in the Philippines it was the reverse - netplay helped build the community. I started out playing in some random hamachi server then I met another Filipino player, who knew other people who play, etc. Now because we got to know each other through netplay, then we started seeing each other regularly for casuals and tourneys - which I suppose can also be attributed to the crappy internet connection here. :P

I can't imagine me meeting people from the scene here if it wasn't for netplay because there's was no other venue to play mbac over here. Oh and about friends who play the game... to some poeple it's just not an option. None of my friends like to play fighters. They're just not into it no matter how I try to introduce it to them. Which is why netplay can be a godsend for me to meet others with similar interest.

So I guess for the NY scene, netplay hurts their community, but in other cases it benefits others. To each his own I guess.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »
Yes.

So you play competitive fighting games by yourself then?

For our community here in the Philippines it was the reverse - netplay helped build the community. I started out playing in some random hamachi server then I met another Filipino player, who knew other people who play, etc. Now because we got to know each other through netplay, then we started seeing each other regularly for casuals and tourneys - which I suppose can also be attributed to the crappy internet connection here. :P

I can't imagine me meeting people from the scene here if it wasn't for netplay because there's was no other venue to play mbac over here. Oh and about friends who play the game... to some poeple it's just not an option. None of my friends like to play fighters. They're just not into it no matter how I try to introduce it to them. Which is why netplay can be a godsend for me to meet others with similar interest.

So I guess for the NY scene, netplay hurts their community, but in other cases it benefits others. To each his own I guess.

See you used netplay as a stepping stone to create a local scene. It's akin to coming on Meltybread and creating a thread about your area, which is fine. You took that initial step to hold gatherings and meet up at tournaments. You created a scene where there was none, and netplay helped in doing so. That's fantastic.

Many other people in this thread (NY or not, there's more to this community then one city) are falling back waiting on a PC port for netplay without bothering to try otherwise. There's a difference between dependence and being beneficial at this point.

:psyduck:
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline Press

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Seizon Senryaku!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »
Honestly in the end, netplay for people who depend on it is one thing, but when there's a community within 2 hours of public transit, I'm pretty sure you can make the effort to go meet up. I did, don't see why anyone else can't. Really it's as simple as bringing the game to even your school. My friends brought the ps2 MBAC to our schools Manga club for a day and now I'm starting my own community where I live and helping people get started. Doesn't take EVO to hype a game. Two friends screaming "NO WAY WTF" at the back of a SF4/GG/w.e meet is enough to attract people.
Happy Birthday to the GROUND

Offline Vshadow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
I haven't played MBAC in a while and when I did, it was just netplay, but really want to get back into Melty with MBAA. Moving up to Wisconsin for college soon, but as of right now I live in a small town where nobody plays fighters. I've been looking for a scene for a while, and I think Milwaukee/Chicago might be viable providing I can find a means of transportation, but my small college doesn't look promising at first glance. In all the commotion of looking for a scene (whether it be for my town or my college), I never thought of starting a scene myself. I might be new to the fighter community, but this thread has given me the inspiration to give hype. If people don't want to play the game, alright, I'm not gonna shove it down peoples throats, but there's a college full of people, I'm sure I can get at least one or two people interested.

Sorry for the rant, especially since I don't have any kind of person to person competitive fighter experience yet, but I'm pretty hyped to spread the hype and attempt to help the community.

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
When you have absolutely no current players being new might help you, since it won't just be you going around thrashing everyone who you're trying to get interested in the game.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 09:52:17 PM »
I haven't played MBAC in a while and when I did, it was just netplay, but really want to get back into Melty with MBAA. Moving up to Wisconsin for college soon, but as of right now I live in a small town where nobody plays fighters. I've been looking for a scene for a while, and I think Milwaukee/Chicago might be viable providing I can find a means of transportation, but my small college doesn't look promising at first glance. In all the commotion of looking for a scene (whether it be for my town or my college), I never thought of starting a scene myself. I might be new to the fighter community, but this thread has given me the inspiration to give hype. If people don't want to play the game, alright, I'm not gonna shove it down peoples throats, but there's a college full of people, I'm sure I can get at least one or two people interested.

Sorry for the rant, especially since I don't have any kind of person to person competitive fighter experience yet, but I'm pretty hyped to spread the hype and attempt to help the community.
Best of luck!  I tried to do that as well when I was first getting into melty, but it was hard because I wasn't very knowledgeable about fighters and wasn't involved with any other fighter scenes.  Don't lose hope though!  Just bring it around and start playing it with some and it's bound to build interest.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Press

• Spellcaster
  • Seizon Senryaku!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 09:54:27 PM »

Best of luck!  I tried to do that as well when I was first getting into melty, but it was hard because I wasn't very knowledgeable about fighters and wasn't involved with any other fighter scenes.  Don't lose hope though!  Just bring it around and start playing it with some and it's bound to build interest.

Yea man, my friend and I were hype in the back and people came up all curious wondering what was so hype lol

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »
When you have absolutely no current players being new might help you, since it won't just be you going around thrashing everyone who you're trying to get interested in the game.

Who the hell does that?

:\
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »

Who the hell does that?

:\

Every smelly arcade dweller who has the wonderful mixture of pot and hasn't showered in a week aroma.

The subhumans.

The only people who are ever at my local arcade.

Offline Exciel

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 38
  • 工エエェェ(´д`)ェェエエ工工
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »
So to become a real competitive fighting game player you have to cross the state to play at tourneys and people on SRK's houses otherwise you're a disgrace among humans and responsible for the uninterest for an obscure Japanese fighting game on the PS2. I am a horrible fighting game fan it seems :(

In all seriousness, to be honest I don't believe netplay could damage the Melty community anymore than it already is. If the fans of the game won't play the game without an online netplay I highly doubt that meant they could have had enough motivation to cross the state to play with others or at tourneys.

Offline Press

• Spellcaster
  • Seizon Senryaku!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 11:13:04 PM »
So to become a real competitive fighting game player you have to cross the state to play at tourneys and people on SRK's houses otherwise you're a disgrace among humans and responsible for the uninterest for an obscure Japanese fighting game on the PS2. I am a horrible fighting game fan it seems :(

In all seriousness, to be honest I don't believe netplay could damage the Melty community anymore than it already is. If the fans of the game won't play the game without an online netplay I highly doubt that meant they could have had enough motivation to cross the state to play with others or at tourneys.

You guys are totally over exaggerating things. If you live in an area where you just can not find any game play what so ever for god knows what reasons, then fine netplay. None of us has said you must go to a tournament to be a true fighting game fan. Most of Master Chibi's(speculation) and my rage comes from the fact that people would rather netplay when there's a meet every week that's not even 2 hours PUBLIC TRANSIT away from where they live. Seriously just start your own community if there isn't one close. That's what I did. Now I people hounding me to go to MB meets every week. I even host some of these meets at my house. It's not that hard. If there's a SF4/GG/BB/w.e meet nearby, bring a copy of the game. Heck bring a laptop with an emulation of the game and just play it. People'll get curious and eventually there'll be someone who's willing to play with you. Teach this person how to play, then hype it up in the back.

Offline Iduno

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: -3
  • Trying to main C W.Len
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 12:29:06 AM »
"So you play competitive fighting games by yourself then?"

Played GG when I could get two people into it, they quit a month later. Netplayed melty for 6 months. Thats it.

Have an IRC quote.

<Darcius|Minotaurus> I have 2 semi-friends I could call acquaintances these days
<Darcius|Minotaurus> one is a serious hardcore boxer
<Darcius|Minotaurus> and one is a serious hardcore tennis player
<Darcius|Minotaurus> both do little but their sport of choice, drink beer, and watch hockey
<Darcius|Minotaurus> what, am I supposed to introduce my japanese fight game to them? with little girls in it?
<MollusK> they could be closet mb players
<Darcius|Minotaurus> they would laugh in my face man
<Darcius|Minotaurus> especially the boxer, he's beaten me before
<Darcius|Minotaurus> also
<Darcius|Minotaurus> there is one single venue for this kind of thing here
<Darcius|Minotaurus> they have
<Darcius|Minotaurus> 1 ddr machine
<Darcius|Minotaurus> 10 computers with FPS on them to LAN
<Darcius|Minotaurus> about 10-15 assorted garbage that nobody plays
<Darcius|Minotaurus> and 1 Third Strike cab that literally nobody but me has ever played
<Darcius|Minotaurus> and they're on the verge of shutting down
<MollusK> seriously
<MollusK> even third strike?
<Darcius|Minotaurus> you don't even understand
<MollusK> mb has no chance there if noone even plays third strike
<MollusK> also brb gonna drive to the store for some cigs
<Darcius|Minotaurus> there is so much social pressure and homogonization that nobody does anything here except hockey, football, and beer drinkan
<Darcius|Minotaurus> even tennis guy feels that he is a made funof superminority and that he can't get anybody into tennis because nobody plays it.

So to readdress your question,

"So you play competitive fighting games by yourself then?"

No.

You are lucky, where I am I've never seen a single fighting game arcade machine (no proper arcades) within my town or either of the citys near, the only tournament I've even heard of is over in London which would cost over £100 (near $200 last time I checked) to go to since I'd have to find a place to stay over night and I can't seem to find anyone even remotely interested in fighters to play with, even the fucking anime community seems to be bigger over here. :psyduck: (although they may have some fighting game fans since doujin games sometimes overlap with that sort of community, going to check that out tonight)

But yeah, right now as an unemployed ex-student traveling up to london for that tourney doesn't even seem possible right now, maybe next year but certainly not this one.

My Blazblue match videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#play/all

SvB entrys are now open for online registration!

Offline CrimsonMoonMist

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • KIMGATE: makes your smile shine with JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 12:33:15 AM »
in my city there's two arcade machines, both are Sega Rally.

Offline AkiraTheMastodon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • 暁を映して。
    • View Profile
    • My u2b.
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
I wouldn't mind a PC Port, simply because I could just go to my friends houses to play on their computer rather than me lugging my PS2 around everywhere.
Name courtesy of LoliSauce.
俺のパーフェクトさんすう教室。
答えは答えはゼロ人ゼロ人
なぜならなぜならそれは。。。 幻想郷にバス無い!

Offline CrimsonMoonMist

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • KIMGATE: makes your smile shine with JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »
Was the mbac PC port planned right after the ps2 port was released?
remember that the mbac PC port wasn't released before a year after the ps2 port,
as long as they want to make money it'll happen sooner or later.

Offline Rudi

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 03:53:41 AM »
Snip

You are lucky, where I am I've never seen a single fighting game arcade machine (no proper arcades) within my town or either of the citys near, the only tournament I've even heard of is over in London which would cost over £100 (near $200 last time I checked) to go to since I'd have to find a place to stay over night and I can't seem to find anyone even remotely interested in fighters to play with, even the fucking anime community seems to be bigger over here. :psyduck: (although they may have some fighting game fans since doujin games sometimes overlap with that sort of community, going to check that out tonight)

But yeah, right now as an unemployed ex-student traveling up to london for that tourney doesn't even seem possible right now, maybe next year but certainly not this one.

I must say, I live in the UK and the melty players are all fragmented at the moment, with the upcoming Super Versus Battle tournament in London in September, we are planning to have an MBAA meetup etc, I'm trying to get people in the game and I have managed to get a few, but I want to be sure that they want to learn the game properly and not just pick up their stick and start playing it just because the other games are being occupied. If you want any more info concerning the UK players and meetups, then tell me, I'd be surprised if I lived close to you.

Offline Dartz

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
But is pretty hard to travel so far to play a tornament, for example i am from Chile, i can't go to US to play a tornament. If it takes me two hours to get there and two hours to return that wouldn't be so bad, sadly i don't have any friends to talk with, and the only way i could play with someone is through the net and i really like the game. And what's wrong about the online game?, the lag?.

Offline Irysa

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 36
  • BERIAL EDGE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
I don't believe Europe running that excuse either, there was a point where I wanted to travel to the middle of god damn Russia to enter one tournament. We hold our tournaments in the middle of a fucking park infront of two god damn Snapple machines. Go ahead and tell me you guys can't do better, please.
If you live in the UK, France, or Scandinavia it's not that hard to get groups for this game, but people who live in obscure shit like Romania are pretty much bummed, sorry. Some people would literally have to travel like over a day of travel over borders and shit to get to their closest person who'd play it offline with them for CASUALS.

"if I wanna play casuals with more than 1 guy, I gotta hop on a boat for 24 hours, play meltan for day, then spent 24h hours to get back, and use 80% of my monthly income on that"

Like I can't really blame people not being very interested in doing that. Is it really worth paying several hundred euros a month to get some casuals in for those people?

That being said I run MBAA here casuals and shit after the SF4/MVC2 ranbats they hold fortnightly and on the free allnighters they do for shit here too. The main problem up here is that only like 3 people actually own the game, the other people like it but pretty much just play it for laughs afterwards. I was considering actually talking to the guy who owns the place to get an MBAA board in his Naomi cabinet, but I think that should wait until the next Arcade update is out?

Anyway, we're running a side tournament at SvB this year, and maybe if Sweden does it's part you'll see MBAA at Showdown in Stockholm 5.

Dude, you should hang around the EU irc if you don't already, #meltyblood.eu on irc.akiha.nl. There ARE UK players for this game, and there are people in London who will house you for free for SvB.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:58:01 PM by Irysa »
[17:09:40] <Roy> lol wtf, escort service prices in helsinki are fucking ridiculous
[17:10:32] <Irysa> why are you even looking at those
[17:10:52] <Roy> Looking for a reason to go to the event despite sucking at Melty

Offline Iduno

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: -3
  • Trying to main C W.Len
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
Wow that sounds pretty interesting, can't make any guarentes for SVB but I'll definately check out that irc channel and see if there are any meetups close enough, thanks for the information!

(Would a madcatz SE work with a ps2 by the way? Probably a stupid question but just asking because I know that the ps2 has usb ports and the SE works with pcsx2)
My Blazblue match videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#play/all

SvB entrys are now open for online registration!

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
Nope, the PS2 usb ports aren't for controllers so it won't work. In fact, the Madcatz sticks apparently don't even work with PS2 games played on PS3 so you're out of luck there too. The reason usb sticks will work on PCs are because of drivers, which you can't apply to the PS2.

Offline Lane

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
I'd be pretty bummed if there isn't eventually a PC port. Even if I somehow were able to find a handful of people willing to play the game, if I were to decide to enter a tournament I'd be at a severe disadvantage because of my lack of matchup experience. Netplay would at least allow people practice for the game as a whole. Not to mention like it or not, for some it's the most practical option.

Not everyone's priorities have video game tourneys at the top of the list.. so driving two hours to play casuals is not something most would consider a good idea. It is a shame that people aren't willing to come out to gatherings when they have access to the subway like in NYC. Except for those without a car/not willing to spend gas/time to travel to play games it's asking too much.

I'm under the situation where the only tourneys that are held for games are in a complete different state, which is not accessible to someone like me without a car. Also, most worthy gatherings are done in Baltimore, which I can't access via metro. Plus, my college classes end at times where I would arrive pretty late at the gatherings anyways, not to mention I'd catch rush hour traffic...

This is just an example of someones situation, and why they choose not to waste their time traveling for gaming. Many of you are blessed with living in areas with thriving fighting game communities with at least one decent arcade, and you have the audacity to tell people that they have to travel in order to play casuals....

That's not to say that you don't obviously bring up good points, but this is really a pointless debate since it might be that netplay could have fractured a community, but what does that say about the game itself? Doesn't sound like it makes much of an impression on most. That doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's just when people weigh their options. It seems they rather settle with enjoying casual games online, even with shitty delay, and all that.

Plus, I'm being a realist here...SFIV people are not gonna play this game, period. You aren't going to get many people to play this, and come out for it, anyways. Cuz frankly....America is about SF and Tekken, and that's life. I mean I'm not pleased about that, but what can I do about it? lol

I mean it's what I currently do for 3s (GGPO) since I'm not gonna take the chinatown bus to NYC just to play people on a cab with HAPP parts  :slowpoke: (I actually have lol)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:03:49 PM by Lane »

Offline Slightly_Mechanical

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
Using netplay as a tool for  gameplay and match up experience gave me a good idea of what i needed to improve on . Travelling for irl gameplay has been pretty iffy for me, i can either make it to a venue where people aren't too serious about gaming  or even know what mb is(d.c anime club), or i can't make it to a hub of decent players who are awesome competition as often as i'd like due to scheduling/travel problems. Guess i'll rock mbaa at their next meeting.  :-[
Hamachi Lurker: Melty Arcade/Nyanyaya
NGBC:Asura/Hanzou ,Mudman/TBA,K'/Terry
MB:AC:  Maids,Wara
Arcana: Heart,Lis ABK:Adler VP: Kaede, Haruka

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »
Lane, though I'm quoting only you, this post isn't directed only at you.  Just figured I'd say that beforehand.

Not everyone's priorities have video game tourneys at the top of the list.. so driving two hours to play casuals is not something most would consider a good idea. It is a shame that people aren't willing to come out to gatherings when they have access to the subway like in NYC. Except for those without a car/not willing to spend gas/time to travel to play games it's asking too much.

See, I think this is the main source of confusion between the people who argue for netplay and those who argue against it.  The reason why people dislike netplay is because it killed the scene.  When I use the word "scene" I mean the core of fighting games - the tournament scene.  Saying things like "not everyone wants to get pro and be a tourney player" is irrelevant to the stagnation of the scene, because they weren't a part of it to begin with.  Casual players are good because they can potentially become new additions to the tourney scene, but ultimately they aren't the reason a game lives or dies.  The longevity of a game is massively dependent on how well the tourney scene thrives.  Netplay gives people an excuse to not take part in the scene, and therefore bring the game one step closer to dying out.  I've always felt that if you really enjoy something, you should try and do whatever you can to support it.  With fighting games, that support comes from getting out there and doing your part to make your scene grow (or just make a scene at all).  If you're not interested in taking that kind of action, then how can you have such a strong opinion as to whether netplay is good or bad for the game?

Now, with all that said, netplay isn't a bad thing.  It can be used as a tool to help connect people or build a scene, as long as you don't become reliant on it for play.  It also is nearly essential for people in horribly distant locations where getting any live play is by all practical means impossible.  The problem is when it is abused and people only play netplay. 

Also, I'd say that the ability for netplay to stagnate the scene of a game is more based on the size of the community for the game, rather than the quality of the game being in question.  No matter how good the game is, if the community is small, every member that does or does not participate is a big deal.  Let's say netplay can cause 20% (made up number, I'm just giving using this as an example) of a game's scene to stop going to events.  If you're playing a game with a scene that's 1000 people strong, what's it matter to you if 200 people leave?  You've still got 800 other people you can play with.  To a scene with 10 people, losing 2 people is a huge deal, and might end up causing more to start losing interest as well.  After all, it's boring to only play the same handful of people over a long period of time.  If you want to argue that netplay won't hurt the game, build the scene to a level where it won't hurt the game. 

Plus, I'm being a realist here...SFIV people are not gonna play this game, period. You aren't going to get many people to play this, and come out for it, anyways. Cuz frankly....America is about SF and Tekken, and that's life. I mean I'm not pleased about that, but what can I do about it? lol
Tell that to people like Bell, who have been playing nothing but SF4 pretty much since it came out, and are now playing MBAA nonstop and loving how different the Full Moon characters are from normal melty style shit.  Bell, though he's been helping the scene out for fucking ever, has been one of the biggest haters on melty.  To see him playing MBAA is pretty unreal, and definitely a testament to how much more fun the game is.  Melty most likely won't ever reach SF levels of popularity, but it's not some impossible task to get an SF player to enjoy the game.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.