When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Character Lock question  (Read 6302 times)

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Character Lock question
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:27:06 PM »
Didn't know where else to ask this. Regarding tourney rules, what is the rationale behind character locks? I would understand in 2 v 2, but in singles why is it the standard?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm setting up a tourney in my area. Most of the people over here are used to switching characters mid-tourney (we play the Narutimate Hero series) given that the game has more pronounced character match up advantages. Now I'm all for character lock, but most of the people here question that.

Thanks.

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
Re: Character Lock question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
I thought the rules were so ppl didn't keep switching back and forth or trying to figure out what the other person picked, another reason is so that the ppl watching the tourny will get to see the best players of each char aka only 3-4 players of each character.

the rules are what you make of them, the ones me and my friend use for our casual tournies.

Winner must keep char, but loser can switch, first round you can opt for a double blind to prevent ppl from picking their char based off what you picked, if loser doesn't switch chars they can pick level,otherwise stage=random

*normally this doesn't matter but in some games it does possibly because its a different shape of stage like smash, or the background pattern allows your char or one of their traps to hide itself, lol SWR bullets on snow lv, or just for the coolness of picking a stage, and BGM

Plus my friend got me to play those games cause I loved fighters, and I found it broke as shit, IDK why you would have a tourney for it but then again ppl host smash tournies all the time, around us and I sometimes go to them.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
Standard is you can switch, but you have to use the same character for the next game in a set if you won the previous game.

How is it understandable in teams but not singles?  It's the exact same situation.

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:01:15 PM »
Ok. I guess the character lock rule would depend on the concept of the tourney (i.e. play with your best char or just a casual tourney).

Standard is you can switch, but you have to use the same character for the next game in a set if you won the previous game.

How is it understandable in teams but not singles?  It's the exact same situation.

I was just thinking you couldn't switch on a whim like singles, since sets in a 2 v 2 take longer.

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
Ok. I guess the character lock rule would depend on the concept of the tourney (i.e. play with your best char or just a casual tourney).

I was just thinking you couldn't switch on a whim like singles, since sets in a 2 v 2 take longer.

uhhh 2v2, sorry thinking bad thoughts of stuff me and my friend found in that naruto game, that I assume you are playing from original post after a few hours of trying to break 2v2, its as bad as playing Super smash bros 2v2 with team damage turned off you can do some broken shit.

plus doesn't its targeting system in 2v2 annoy you it sure annoyed me but it did work so whatever.

I personally dislike tournament long character locks.

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:07:36 PM »
I thought the rules were so ppl didn't keep switching back and forth or trying to figure out what the other person picked, another reason is so that the ppl watching the tourny will get to see the best players of each char aka only 3-4 players of each character.

the rules are what you make of them, the ones me and my friend use for our casual tournies.

Winner must keep char, but loser can switch, first round you can opt for a double blind to prevent ppl from picking their char based off what you picked, if loser doesn't switch chars they can pick level,otherwise stage=random

*normally this doesn't matter but in some games it does possibly because its a different shape of stage like smash, or the background pattern allows your char or one of their traps to hide itself, lol SWR bullets on snow lv, or just for the coolness of picking a stage, and BGM

Plus my friend got me to play those games cause I loved fighters, and I found it broke as shit, IDK why you would have a tourney for it but then again ppl host smash tournies all the time, around us and I sometimes go to them.
Snake in the grass

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:14:30 AM »
Yeah.  Locking characters means you can't play with your best character for every matchup...unless you only use one character anyway.

It's not about switching on a whim(although you could), it's about counter-picking.  Using multiple characters doesn't take more time if thats what you're implying.  Also, team tournaments(1 game double elim) generally go faster than singles(2/3 games double elim) with the same number of players.

By the way, I'm just playing devils advocate because your reasoning is flawed.  Team sets do take longer than singles sets, but that is completely irrelevant.

Edit: If you're looking for the answer to which rule is better, I don't know and I doubt anyone can tell you while backing it up with good reasons.  Both work in a competitive environment, and both have merits for being a part of the game.

If you just want to know how people decide, I bet most just copy what was used somewhere else, and maybe copy some bs reason that they don't understand too.  Some people probably thought about it and used their own judgment, most probably going with popular opinion because they don't want to deal with whiners.  This is just guessing though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:28:33 AM by Zaelar »

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 12:31:45 AM »
Well thanks for clarifying that up guys. I guess for our tourneys over here, since we're just starting up, we'll allow switching.

For the record, I hate switching to take advantage of char match ups XD

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
You can still counter-pick with locked characters, just pick to counter most of the tournament and hope you don't run into the few that counter you.  This is playing the meta-game, and is commonly done in trading card games where you usually have a locked deck.

Offline Twinniss

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

its as zaelar says, the standard is 2/3 games throughout the whole tounrey except for finals(which is 3/5).

during character select of the first game, most people just pick the character they wanna play(they may pick anyone regardless of who they picked in their last match against someone else), however any player may, if they want, to make character selections secret, in which both players tell someone(usually a judge or someone of equal status) who they want as a character. they pick the character they told the judge and the judge make sures they pick that character.

okay so the first game goes on and eventually someone wins that game. so game 2 begins, and the loser of that round may chose to chose a different character(however most people don't cause real men should be the master of their 1 only character and no other character). the next game is played and this step is repeated(loser of that game gets to switch character if he wishes.

one advances and the other goes to losers(standard is double elim) or eliminated. the one who advances(or the one who is losers) plays against his next opponent and both players get to pick any character they want
for that first game

why are we even talking about 2v2, unless you mean SBO 2v2 style(not team play lol, team play)
Words of a wise man
[20:13] <@bellreisa> with practice mode you can turn 10% into 100%

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=232643&p=8761841&viewfull=1#post8761841 "For Instance, Cammy's strong kick(crouch) is two frames, because it takes almost 2 seconds to do"

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
"real men master one char" -true for most games but you must of missed the part of the naruto game, its even scrubery than MBAC, you can easly learn a few chars that you can switch too and yeah it is very match up dependent due to the weird hitting and stuff, and it accually is 2v2 on the field however distored and weird, heck is a 2.5 D fighter trying to have 2v2, seriously its weird but its not as bad as melty 2vs2.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:02:52 PM »
Yeah, only scrubs can learn more than one character.

Offline Twinniss

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »
obviously you guys havn't seen this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3282106748351936981&q

its around 12:45
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 05:27:02 PM by Twinniss »
Words of a wise man
[20:13] <@bellreisa> with practice mode you can turn 10% into 100%

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=232643&p=8761841&viewfull=1#post8761841 "For Instance, Cammy's strong kick(crouch) is two frames, because it takes almost 2 seconds to do"

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 05:32:57 PM »
obviously you haven't seen how non fighting game the naruto fighting game is.

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 11:44:54 PM »
I'm referring to the PS2 Naruto games, not any of the GNT series.

And a lot of that boils down to match ups, a heck of a lot more than your average fighter. To the point that even if you use just one char, someone with less mastery but a counter to your char has a good chance of beating you?

MBAC scrubbery? I think not. It's one ofthe most anti-scrub fighting games. A lot of combos a scrub wouldn't be even able to execute.

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
I'm referring to the PS2 Naruto games, not any of the GNT series.

And a lot of that boils down to match ups, a heck of a lot more than your average fighter. To the point that even if you use just one char, someone with less mastery but a counter to your char has a good chance of beating you?

MBAC scrubbery? I think not. It's one ofthe most anti-scrub fighting games. A lot of combos a scrub wouldn't be even able to execute.

Ohh the PS2 naruto games (aka 2D DBZ fighters with naruto chars), lol those are fun, don't know really how you can have a tourney though, Ill have to pick them up for a few weeks so I can say they are broke and suck :P    .

The reason why MBAC is considered scrubby is because most chars only use 2-3 combos over and over again, then they go on to talk about how SFIII's poke into super system is somehow better, but whatever to each his own, I like MBAC cause its pretty much the fastest fighter out there, MvC2 is the only game that could be considered faster and thats only cause you have 3 chars each jumping around.

MBAA may change some of that, which would be cool but if you want a tricky fighter its GGAC, some of that shit is hard.