hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: So where do we go from here?  (Read 46458 times)

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
    • View Profile
Re: So where do we go from here?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
If we get a couple of hundrets together I'm sure someone is greedy enough to jump on the train.
You sure about that? Sounds like a really low price considering the amount of time it'd probably take.

If you can get a hold of someone who is capable and willing to make a caster of MBCaster quality for that price then do so right now; we already have the money.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:49:12 AM by Roy-Kr »

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »
Well then why don't we try to introduce the concept and let the people decide their price by themselves aka http://www.vworker.com ?

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Go for it.

Edit: Would a project such as this conflict with any laws? Is it any different from past projects since it's a paid one? Maybe I'm just being paranoid; game mods are always fine, right?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:12:54 AM by Roy-Kr »

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »
Technically it's middleware.

Also project posted on their site. Awaiting approval for public viewing.

Edit: Published:
http://www.vworker.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=1896208
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:07:30 AM by Rowanism »

Offline VanDarkholme

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
You know guys, I think the idea is kinda like showing the finger to french bread, even though they tried to do the most for the fans and even tried to give us a cool netplay thing. I think thats also the reason why a guy that could technically do this for us doesn't want to do it.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
If you're trying to get mauve on board with money, I can already say that it's not going to work.

If you're just trying to get ANYBODY, then best of luck finding someone with quality experience to take up the money, er project.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline AARP|ZTB

• HATEmaster
  • Magic Circuits: 102
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
lol this thread again?
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline ZomB

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
It's legal. But I think it's about as much a solution to the problem as a coffin is a solution to death.

It's not going to solve a problem of availability. And it's still going to be netplay. The only people I would trust with money to code fantastic netplay would be Mauve and Ponder. Neither of those are happening.

Curbeh mentioned on his twitter that he would be talking to ECOLE sometime soon. Those are the people we need to be throwing out money at. For Melty Blood to truely strive -- it needs to be accessible. A version of the game sold on Steam (or in my wildest fantasies, on PSN/XBL) would be ideal. They've obviously voiced their concern, but if we created a professional fan translation -- I wonder if they could say no?

Anyways, if the netplay still sucks but we got a real release here in the US, I'm sure anyone would be a LOT more likely to work on producing a real caster.

I don't really subscribe to the MeltyBloodIsDead mentality, but then again I think I have different definitions of dead.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
Curbeh mentioned on his twitter that he would be talking to ECOLE sometime soon. Those are the people we need to be throwing out money at. For Melty Blood to truely strive -- it needs to be accessible. A version of the game sold on Steam (or in my wildest fantasies, on PSN/XBL) would be ideal. They've obviously voiced their concern, but if we created a professional fan translation -- I wonder if they could say no?
Then why don't we do that?

Seriously. Everyone is throwing in nice ideas but noone actually does something, very few exceptions like Komidol or Curbeh. I'm sorry that I cannot just travel to JP with my budget and nonexistent japanese skills, but there are people who can easily, or even live there. I really want to do something for the scene but my options are limited, but I still take the oppurtunity.

=/

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
The game's dead. It doesn't deserve better, honestly.

It's uncompetitive. Sion is still Sion (better in all aspects than all other characters simultaneously and significantly) and the very very few other somewhat playable characters have the same horrible gameplay problem where they have some superior aspect that means they don't have to interact with what the opponent is/can do at all. They just do it and wait until they win the round and repeat.

There's just no human interaction in melty blood. The game engine doing odd shit like connecting normals that are facing in the wrong direction and don't have a hitbox on the character or behind doesn't help. The unexplainable full-screen normal connects that can't be fathomed with frame data don't help.
("main character hacks" since these problems are mostly associated with and favor sion)

Starting over with under night after birth is a good call. This time they don't have a special original-character-do-not-steal mary sue to be tempted to ruin their game with like Sion which is good. They need to ditch the melty blood game engine too, no doubt.

With a new rendition people pick up their favorite characters again, and that makes it great for a while-- before long we're no better off than we were in MBAC watching only sion mirrors (or rather not watching them and instead playing better games). It's the melty curse.

They've refined a lot of interesting ideas (especially with actress again) and under night after birth has that to draw from. Looking forward to it.

Playing every fucking thing is for casuals..
This is a joke, right?

sion is sion? wtf does that mean?

in other news, curbeh is going in this weekend

also, the game is already bare bones translated right (for our purposes at least), so it'd be filing in stuff like arcade mode translations and win quotes?
Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
You know guys, I think the idea is kinda like showing the finger to french bread, even though they tried to do the most for the fans and even tried to give us a cool netplay thing.
Don't care. It doesn't work.

I think thats also the reason why a guy that could technically do this for us doesn't want to do it.
A hired outsider wouldn't know.

If you're trying to get mauve on board with money, I can already say that it's not going to work.
Yes, that was already established months ago

It's not going to solve a problem of availability.
Don't care.

And it's still going to be netplay.
Don't care.

Curbeh mentioned on his twitter that he would be talking to ECOLE sometime soon. Those are the people we need to be throwing out money at.
Have they showed an interest in making their games work, ever? Maybe I'd be willing to believe in them a bit if anything they had released in the past had worked. Maybe I'd have some faith if they posted something like "hey guys, our game's gonna include key config and working netplay".

Without any past success or promises for the future, i see no reason to believe they'll ever fix the game.

All i want is to be able to finish a session without having to quit the game and reconnect due to desyncs every fucking round. I am not demanding a lot here; i don't care if the community remains small and the game is japanese retail only. I just want it to work.

If there were some guarantee that an international release would bring about working netplay then I'd be more supportive.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:12:45 PM by Roy-Kr »

Offline Qaenyin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
You know guys, I think the idea is kinda like showing the finger to french bread, even though they tried to do the most for the fans and even tried to give us a cool netplay thing.

I honestly have difficulty feeling grateful when the game can cost well over a hundred dollars and isn't actually available as a standalone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing french bread as a company, just saying that their support for the PC port is indicative of it being a bone tossed to stall for UNIB not actually to support the non-arcade scene.  I'm not expecting something like GGAC+R in scope here, but the basic fact of the game not even having an actual release(in fact, if you look at ecole's official website MBAACC PC isn't even listed there as a product) indicates anything but support for the game.

There's little reason to bash people for feeling like expecting anything from Ecole is a waste of time when it doesn't really feel like they even consider it an active franchise anymore.

Offline Shion

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »
You want to hire a programmer to write a netplay client? No offense, but it's more than likely going to be just as bad or worse than the default solution. Actual skilled programmers / hackers won't spend their time on this for a few hundred dollars, or even a couple thousand considering the work that has to be put in. Mauve went the extra mile with Caster because he did it out of love for the game (I made this up, go read his blog or something). A hired coder isn't going to add rollbacks or some shit.

The thing Caster had going for it was it's feature to adapt well to delay changes. Apart from that, take off the nostalgia goggles, because it had plenty of lag at times when someone had a shitty connection. This is the case with all fighting games on netplay, and cannot be solved with a better client.

Ecole's netplay solution works just fine as long as both players have a stable connection. Contrary to popular belief, a ping fluctuating from 50 to 80 is not stable. Honestly, the only time I ever lag nowadays is when I play with someone outside of Europe, or if one of the two sides is having connection issues. Besides that I always get 1 to 3 delay, and perfectly playable games. If you're having trouble netplaying with the CC client, spend the money on a better ISP or move to another country.

Since Ecole still has the whole MelTV thing going on it seems to me they've not intended to stop supporting the franchise. Maybe a console or Steam release is more likely than you think.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2012, 02:25:22 AM »
I don't honestly think French Bread or Ecole will do anything until they have the safety net of UNIB's presumably successful income underneath them.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »
So I got an answer from this guy:

Seems like an interesting project. I used to play Guilty Gear via net so I'm more or less familiar with this kind of software. I'll need a day or two to research this, then I'll give you a bid & time estimate.

Is that MBCaster tool satisfactory, re connection quality / handling lag etc? As in, would creating a similar tool for AACC be enough?

Regards,
--
Pawel Niegowski

Based on his history he did mostly jobs up to 300$, and is very efficient based on the ratings and comments of his previous 49 employees. He has experience in C++ and fiddling with memory data.

Though I don't think he's able to do a RollCaster, he is pretty much able to adapt MBCaster to Current Code. Let's just see what he thinks of it and wait for his response on the price and time.

Offline Rokunaya

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Keepin' it alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
I'm going to be as real as possible, though I can definitely commend your efforts.

Just move onto P4U

It's what I'm doing. I had fun with MB at least.
clmelty: great roku! lol / I like roku lol
clmelty: I want to make CL like roku team
clmelty: Roku is best popular player in the meltyworld

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
sasuga rokunaya, contributing 2 the thread w/ excellent advice

as for that netplay client thing....ehhh I dunno. I have the same doubts that vandarkholme has and i want to see what happens with what Curbeh is doing. I mean if you guys somehow raise enough money for it, well good stuff?

I also agree with Shion; I've had stable connections as long as ping was stable on both ends. Even if it was like delay 4-5, the game was still smooth just shitty (as netplay always is). The thing is, if the ping fluctuates -+15 ms, it gets shitty lol.

edit: plzcomeoutonsteamplzcomeoutonsteamplzcomeoutonste am

edit2: plzcomeoutonCONSOLEplzcomeoutonCONSOLE

edit3: will never happen

edit4: move onto AP/P4U/other mashy games
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:26:21 PM by ehrik »
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline ZomB

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »
1. Let's wait for Curbeh to come back with another word.
2. Especially with rollcaster source being available, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to ask a PAID programmer to clone its effects.

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Fuck you, man :P (edit: to Roku)

Rowan, this is interesting.
You should add spectating to the feature list.

Offline djenkov ver.2.0

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »
If there were some guarantee that an international release would bring about working netplay then I'd be more supportive.

The netplay is fine if you ask me.I have no problems when I play with most of the eu players.I can't host for some reason,but the problem is probably coming from me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:47:18 AM by djenkov ver.2.0 »
I'M A GIGANTIC FAGGOT

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2012, 05:24:18 AM »
Go play ten first to fifty sessions. If none of them end up desyncing, I'll believe you a little bit.

Offline djenkov ver.2.0

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2012, 05:41:07 AM »
I do get some desyncing from time to time,but considering FBs experience with netplay coding I'd say its a pretty good first time effort.Besides if there is no lag I don't mind 1 or 2 desync. once in a while.
I'M A GIGANTIC FAGGOT

Offline Qaenyin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »

The netplay is fine if you ask me.I have no problems when I play with most of the eu players.I can't host for some reason,but the problem is probably coming from me.

Can't speak for you as I'm west coast US not EU but with MBAA's netplay I get delay 6-7 with east coasters.  With MBAC's caster client I got delay 4, 3 on a good day.

A 3 frame delay difference is massive.

For comparison, 6-7 delay is the delay I got with australia and europe in MBAC.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »
Hello,

We've been corresponding on vWorker.com re your bid request:
http://www.vworker.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=1896208&txtForceRefresh=6220121155552207&intProjectTab_TabId=1&blnShortCutMenu=true

As vW takes a fat cut of the payment (15%) and you're going to fund it via community donations, we can just divide the project into stages and work outside of vW, so you guys don't have to pay extra for the commission fee.

I've looked around that MBCaster code, and the job's worth around $1500. With only the core features we can go down to ~$1200. I like the idea of a community funded project, but this requires a lot of both knowledge and effort, and those don't come cheap. I'd be surprised if you find someone on vW who bids lower and knows what he's doing.

Regards,
--
Pawel "rsh" Niegowski

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2012, 02:05:03 AM »
Wow that's expensive.
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community