When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: So where do we go from here?  (Read 46442 times)

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
So where do we go from here?
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:48:48 PM »
So where exactly is the community at now?

Are we back to being a two major a year game again? Is that acceptable when there are majors monthly going on? Is there more then 10 people really taking this game entirely seriously anymore?

What happened with Manabe? Did Final Round change his mind about anything? Are Garu and company coming back this year? Do we push Manabe a little more to make our point? Do we pack up and get ready for UNIB?

I mean honestly I think we as a community missed our 'chance' after EVO 2010, which to me was the pinnacle of what we had ever hoped to achieve. Even with 73 people at FR this year most everything has been a notch below getting our game into Evo 2 years prior (to my cynical eyes anyway).

And as much as I want to spooge on Skullgirls I just have to admit that it's refreshing to be able to have developer support and not having to jump through several hoops to get people to play the game (and have them jump through more hoops just to get access to it).

I mean I love Melty and I always have but you have to admit that at this point things are looking a bit grim.

I dunno, let's talk about it :P
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline dumba989

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Ambassador of the Secret Society
    • View Profile
    • Secret Society HQ
Re: So where do we go from here?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »

Are we back to being a two major a year game again? Is that acceptable when there are majors monthly going on? Is there more then 10 people really taking this game entirely seriously anymore?

What happened with Manabe? Did Final Round change his mind about anything? Are Garu and company coming back this year? Do we push Manabe a little more to make our point? Do we pack up and get ready for UNIB?

I mean honestly I think we as a community missed our 'chance' after EVO 2010, which to me was the pinnacle of what we had ever hoped to achieve. Even with 73 people at FR this year most everything has been a notch below getting our game into Evo 2 years prior (to my cynical eyes anyway).

And as much as I want to spooge on Skullgirls I just have to admit that it's refreshing to be able to have developer support and not having to jump through several hoops to get people to play the game (and have them jump through more hoops just to get access to it).

I mean I love Melty and I always have but you have to admit that at this point things are looking a bit grim.

I think that everyone should get ready for UNIB personally after this years' Final Round & everything that's been going on. I love this game too but I believe that there is a ton of talent amongst this community & yes, although everyone plays this game for whatever personal reason it is (to test your knowledge & witts against competitors, for the love of the game, to hang out with the cool people in this community, etc.), I feel that many of us are too smart to let our skill go to waist with a game that not only has no developer support, but when we have a major, we see the same faces over & over again with not too much new blood. Honestly, I think that there's a game out for everyone right now & even though it may not be exactly what Melty gives you, I'm confident everyone can pick ONE with an actual scene & give incentives to travel because half of the fun in competing is to experience new things & see new faces. Now if the game DOES somehow (which is really don't see happening at this point) get a PS3/360 port, then MAYBE things can notably change, otherwise, it'll be the same as it's been for these past "X" years now.

P.S., Sorry if the truth hurts, it's time to get over this & move on to better things.

Edit: And before anyone accuses me of "selling out, not playing for fun, etc." I still DO love this game & play it "occasionally", but I personally think that half the fun of playing games is getting to play with a wide variety of people & experiencing all types of styles & hearing the opinions of other people who enjoy the same or similar hobbies.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:26:41 PM by Malik »
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
play games because they are fun
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »
play games because they are fun

I'm not telling people not to play but at least give me enough respect to actually answer the questions I brought up.

I mean do you practice Melty anymore? Does Xanadu hold Melty tournaments? Is NEC the only other time we'll really (sort of) play Melty seriously?
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Senel

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • And this!
    • View Profile
    • Mayonaka Midnight
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
I think UNiB is Melty Bread's best bet to survive.

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
I play Melty seriously because it's a good game.

In terms of what I'm planning on doing, I'm planning on milking the Melty scene for as long as I can. When it finally dies (I'd guess a year or two) I will probably switch to Aquapazza, UNIB, SC, and/or Tekken. Even then, I'll probably continue practicing Melty because most of the stuff I learn in this game is applicable in other games.

I think that everyone should get ready for UNIB personally after this years' Final Round & everything that's been going on. I love this game too but I believe that there is a ton of talent amongst this community & yes, although everyone plays this game for whatever personal reason it is (to test your knowledge & witts against competitors, for the love of the game, to hang out with the cool people in this community, etc.), I feel that many of us are too smart to let our skill go to waist with a game that not only has no developer support, but when we have a major, we see the same faces over & over again with not too much new blood. Honestly, I think that there's a game out for everyone right now & even though it may not be exactly what Melty gives you, I'm confident everyone can pick ONE with an actual scene & give incentives to travel because half of the fun in competing is to experience new things & see new faces. Now if the game DOES somehow (which is really don't see happening at this point) get a PS3/360 port, then MAYBE things can notably change, otherwise, it'll be the same as it's been for these past "X" years now.

P.S., Sorry if the truth hurts, it's time to get over this & move on to better things.

There's no reason to "get over" Melty, as long as it's still fun and people will still play, I'll continue to play. Probably even past that.

That's not to say that I wouldn't play other games. As I said above, I'm probably going to end up playing other games in the absence of people who play Melty.

Offline Axis

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • Team Bo-flex co-founder. Ao Oni swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Honestly I barely this play this game offline seeing how I only play Brandino and 2 other people at meet ups.
I really wish this community can thrive and I don't want this game to die but the way things stand I just don't see it.

But for the sake of things keep playing the game.

Do what you love and love what you do.
A life filled with unrequited love and tragedy.
A life with no happy ending.
A life that will not be recognized for how precious it truly is.
Isn't it sad...Sacchin.

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
I really hate to talk about the same thing that's been hindering the community for the longest. If anything, Final Round was a great time to kick start things up again. Of course the numbers weren't what we wanted but you must admit the game was far from dead there. It's what the mindset of the players were like after it. Not getting far on a PC port just shut everything down.

I doubt you'll go on after NEC. You just can't keep an offline community like this interested if there isn't enough exposure at tournaments. Don't even think about the stream exposure if the game isn't there at all. I suggest you put your efforts toward the tournament area again if you have the funds for it...if you ever have the funds for it.

You're all tired of the bullshit, yeah. But I suggest you don't bitch about present times if you're just not gonna do anything about it anymore. Action is the only thing that's getting this community back on its feet, that's the bottom line.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline ZomB

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »
You might have seen me around Mizuumi over the past few years, but I've only really gotten in to Melty Blood recently. Until the end of last year, I worked next to every single weekend and couldn't really play the game. But recently with a new job, and the newest release of Melty Blood I've been inspired to "bring it back" as it were.

Though, being located in the Atlanta area, there was never really a scene to "bring back." At Final Round this year there were, at most, maybe 5-6 GA players in the tournament. That's pretty sad, relatively speaking. But I've taken what I can get and started the ball rolling.

Talking to friends about the game, talking to strangers about the game, hunting down people on IRC, and both having enthusiasm and making things happen, I like to think the scene is growing here in GA, or at least the ATL area.

On top of this I plan on travelling to tournaments. I played Melty at Power Up, and I plan on attending BBG for sure. I want to go to 'bama this weekend to play some casuals and have a good time. I'll definitely be at NEC. If other Melty tournaments pop up in the mean time, I want to be there.

In just under two weeks (May 19) I will be running a Melty-only tournament here, but I'm really trying to push a different paradigm. Melty doesn't have the "capacity" of e-sports. If people want to play a game for money, Melty's not that game. If people want to play a game that other people play, Melty's not that game(right now). But if people want to get together, have a good time, enjoy some games and get better. Let's play some Melty Blood.

I'm expecting somewhere between 16 to 24 entrants for my tournament. It will be streamed. I will be running a free 3v3 teams tournament as well. I can't wait for this, it's going to be a ton of fun. As far as I'm concerned this is huge for Melty, especially in Georgia. And I'm whole-heartedly excited to play games with everyone and enjoy the weekend.

MELTY IS AS DEAD AS YOU ALLOW IT TO BE

Offline Tonberry

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • $NJ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

I don't think the problem is that there are only two majors a year.  We beat BB in numbers at both WB and FR.  It's more the fact that most people in the MB community are poor/busy college students and local scenes are kinda weak, especially lately.  The interest is still there and I expect things to pick up a bit in summer.

LobsterLuckus told me at FR he'd come down to Jersey if I could give him a date.  If anyone else is interested in coming down to my castle in central Jersey post in this thread.  If you want to come on a weekend I can likely get LK(if there's no BB tournament) and Comic-Z to come as well.  Weekdays I'm free essentially whenever.  There are cheap fast food places nearby as well as LEGENDARY $NJ$ diners including poverty special, Denny's! 

Chelsea said he'd be coming back "soon" after FR.  Packing up and getting ready for UNIB is a terrible idea.  We have no idea if it's ever coming to console and it's not coming out in arcades until later this year. 

I think with the influx of new games if people still keep playing MB we could get decent numbers and I think that's what should happen.  If Schoolgirls, Persona, or whatever people want to play is at an event that gives people greater incentive to go then a small Melty tournament alone would.  It's safe to say we all love this game and want to play it more.   
[01:08] <Komidol> that marisa cosplayer that took my registration was sexy
[15:24] <Rokunaya> i've actually reached the point where some voice actors sound familiar in animes
[22:40] <bellreisa> i'm an insane murderer who is overwhelmed by nihilism but that's ok cause i'm in love

Offline Rokunaya

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Keepin' it alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »
Hm.. This summer after my exams end I was planning on doing a serious beginner training regiment and recruitment. This has been pretty successful so far and I plan to carry on with this as it's a pretty reliable way of grabbing attention from what I've seen.

That said, however... I planned that if I didn't see good enough results by the time P4U releases, I'd just simply move on to P4U and leave the melty scene behind. I honestly don't really think I'll have to do this though, I think there's some legit hope.

All this coming from a guy who hasn't even really given a shit since NEC XI may sound odd, but I honestly want to pick up the enthusiasm and hype I had for the game back then now, so I will give this one legit last chance. Other 'Rokrew' members are also going to be doing gatherings often as well, and i might start doing local tournaments again.
clmelty: great roku! lol / I like roku lol
clmelty: I want to make CL like roku team
clmelty: Roku is best popular player in the meltyworld

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
I don't think there is anything to do at this point. Nothing that the community in general has any real power over, really. This isn't 2006 -- or even 2010. In the years past, it was enough to have a body of players grown at the grass-roots level to get noticed at events to have TOs include your game. Now, with every game being supported by their publishers and everyone (futility) chasing that sponsorship money, it's hard to justify running Melty Blood at any major at this point... and even doubling the size of the community would do nothing to help with that.

If people want to play a game that other people play, Melty's not that game(right now).
Therein lies the rub -- you can't play fighting games by yourself. Playing a fighting game nobody else plays is an awful experience. It takes a lot of work to get new players, and then to get them to stick around.

If people want to play a game for money, fighting games aren't the genre.
Fixed for e-sports.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline joftwin

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
I'll keep playing the game whenever I get the chance. It's fun. But the lack of community gives me no motivation to go out of my way for it anymore. Realistically, the community can't grow much larger or stronger without some heavy intervention. But personally I'll continue to support any Melty community efforts in the future, just because this was the first traditional fighting game I really took seriously. But I definitely am not making this game a main focus anymore. Games with similar appeal for me are on the way (P4A, GGXAC re-release). And Skullgirls is filling the void wonderfully for me for the time being.

And UNiB? Eeehh..if it gets PC-only/Japan-only'd again..then no point. I'll just keep playing Melty =)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:14:19 PM by joftwin »

Offline ZomB

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »
If people want to play a game that other people play, Melty's not that game(right now).
Therein lies the rub -- you can't play fighting games by yourself. Playing a fighting game nobody else plays is an awful experience. It takes a lot of work to get new players, and then to get them to stick around.

That is, of course, the difficulty. But I was referring to people who might just happen to play fighting games because of a social experience or something. I know plenty of marvel players etc who enter random tournaments and never expect to do well etc etc just because other people do. You can't rely on that as a draw for Melty. You can't rely on prize money as a draw for Melty. You can't rely on accessibility as a draw for Melty.

You have to cultivate legitimate interest and create legitimately fun experiences.

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
To be honest, there's a lot of people out there who would play Melty if given the chance. At my college alone I found two people I could have casuals with, and several others who liked to watch. It was mostly a matter of getting them to find the time. It's not that there isn't interest in this game, it's that we're looking in the wrong places.

I'd like to point out a couple problems with our current scene.

1: We're not visible. When Melty is in an event, most people don't know we are unless they already know about the game. This is just conjecture, but we've lost a lot of viewers since Sp00ky stopped streaming Melty. We need to get ourselves out there and visible to get more players. We also need to talk about the game more outside of the "anime" circle.

2: Trying to recruit intentionally out of the Capcom crowd is not necessarily the wrong way to go about it. I was talking to a friend of mine about incorporating Melty strategies into UMvC3 (the team in question was Zero, Deadpool, Wesker BTW). If we apply our prowess to other games and advertise Melty as the reason we are so good then we might generate positive interest. (Yes, I know that MvC3 is not that popular here, but it's the closest of the "non-anime" fighting games to Melty's style.) Combining this with #1 might get us some players that normally wouldn't know we existed. Of course, this has a potential to backfire.

I don't think there is anything to do at this point. Nothing that the community in general has any real power over, really. This isn't 2006 -- or even 2010. In the years past, it was enough to have a body of players grown at the grass-roots level to get noticed at events to have TOs include your game. Now, with every game being supported by their publishers and everyone (futility) chasing that sponsorship money, it's hard to justify running Melty Blood at any major at this point... and even doubling the size of the community would do nothing to help with that.

At this point, I think it's almost necessary to start running our own majors. If they won't run us, we'll run ourselves. There's also the option of running unofficial side tournaments whenever possible.

And Tonberry, I might take you up on that in the future.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
Yeah if RoverRuckus is going Tonberry, so am I.

Currently MD/VA just mashes occasionally in VA or at random Xanadu weeklies :(.

Though we still enjoy playing it the most.
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 07:35:05 PM »
I'm just gunna say lol @ you idiots thinking unib gunna be hot shit, okay well it's going to be hot shit but not what y'all are thinkin.

Anyways, this game is fucking dead as the shit that I pushed 5 minutes ago. The community hasn't changed at all, if anything it's changed because people are dropping the game because of the lack of anything going on. We finally get an acceptable version of the game and no one plays it. God bless Ecole and whoever fucks Komidol got down on his knees and blew 50 dicks for to get this game zero jack shit support. The community is obviously burnt out, except for Rokunaya, and I gotta give him props for being zealous about Melty, yet not overzealous as SOME OTHER PERSON THAT SOME OF US WE MAY KNOW THAT PLAYS A FIGHT WITH ROYALTY IN IT. I'm tired of playing games that have no support and have to have like 20 dudes exerting energy to just get people to play it. A shame too, because this final version is really sick and cool but people are dumb and like to play shitty fighters. Oh well, maybe after the rapture and we're all in hell we can actually play it together and daily.
what the fuck is this game

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
The lack of local games and the fact that the major playerbase is still spread around the entire world is the biggest argument in this offline scene dying. Even if you guys manage to get some local shit going in the US, the rest of the world will be left.

The fact that people hate playing Melty online with the argument that you cannot really play on a tournament scale because of delays, desynchs and lags, they're idiots because ppl play this game online because it's fun and to keep track with current development regarding mechanics, characters and hype combos.
But mainly to have fun playing this game.

At this point, what Rokunaya does (by contributing a fucking long How to Melty-YT-Video) is one of the things we should support and make the game appeal to ppl. Of course, until now, there's no standalone version of MBAACC available and if there ever comes one out (DLC?), that's a great relief.

But people are lazy. They are sitting in their chair, yelling how this community dies, and then continue to browse 4chan and post links in IRC. Newcomers are just easy victims and aren't even asked to be helped. Sometimes, a gameplay mechanics discussion evolves for 15 minutes, then the channel is dead again.

Compared to the channel of Ougon Musou Kyoku, which has an active playerbase. Why doesn't this game die? Because lots of ppl hear of the game because it's based on Umineko. So advertising Tsukihime at this point will be neccessary as well.

I could write alot more but I gotta go to work. Sry.

Offline Omicron Austin

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Downright Fierce
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »
I'm not sure how much I have to say here; I'm a random person from the midwest with a pretty okay fighting game scene in St. Louis.  A lot of people play a variety of games here, and I'd say there's about 3 or 4 of us that play the game.  It's fun, and we love it.

The problem is that the game just doesn't have that mass appeal factor.  Many see it as "that weaboo game," which I never did, but to be fair, the cast of characters originated from an erotic visual novel.  Others still think it's infamous for the stupidity of 2A, which as I understand stopped being a "problem" several versions ago.  I have one friend in particular that just thinks the graphics are horrendous, so maybe there's that.  And lastly and most importantly, it's PC only and it costs 200 dollars.

Fighting games are the hardest genre to make an e-sport because of how unreasonable it is to play it online, something other genres can handle.  That, and fighting games are harder to learn and get into; especially considering the almost "mandatory" requirement to buy a fightstick that can cost over a hundred dollars, and the stigma that not doing so might ever so slightly be holding you back.  The only thing that can counteract some of this is to have an enormous scene with a game popular to casuals that everybody knows, like Marvel or Street Fighter.  Even Blazblue appears to have died out, and that was a major release.

So, in conclusion, Melty Blood is fun and some people will play it, but ultimately it's probably going to piggy-back off of other more popular fighting games that can keep the community rolling.  Go to majors for other games, and play with the few others that show up to play Melty.

Offline Beno~

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »
We go to the moon.

Offline Rokunaya

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Keepin' it alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »
The community is obviously burnt out, except for Rokunaya, and I gotta give him props for being zealous about Melty, yet not overzealous as SOME OTHER PERSON THAT SOME OF US WE MAY KNOW THAT PLAYS A FIGHT WITH ROYALTY IN IT.

I legit have no idea who you're talking about lol

Anyways I actually have not been as zealous about this game as I used to be, I just do some things because I feel obligated to. So thanks for the props guys but I'll honestly try to have fun with this game agian this summer; I'm going to put in serious work. If it all blows up in my face I'll seriously legit move on, and that also means MB is probably straight up done. But considering the fact that I see tons of interest lurking underground that goes untapped and that I seem to be the only one willing to tap that underground scene, I'm riding my hopes on this game being able to ride out on that alone. I seriously think the underground following of MB is large enough to warrant such a belief, and if I'm wrong there's always P4U.

I only ask that people in NJ attend locals, gatherings, and if you're not in NJ, be willing to teach players. I actually know a large number of beginners wanting to play this game but get turned off by the fact that no one really tries to help them--- hell, if I didn't get Tonberry/LK as practice partners when I first started out, I'd have felt the same fucking way, so I really understand this. Promote my videos, help beginners, be willing to play new players for at least ft5 and offer basic tips. This is what can keep us going for a while, and the effects of this aren't trivial; without trying hard enough i recruited roughly 10 people into the 'Rokrew'. You all can do it too, I just ask that you try. And if you don't want to be bothered, point newbies in the direction of people who ARE willing, like myself, or my videos.

P.S.:
Distance and tournaments are seriously an issue and I'm aware of this being a victim of it myself. With such a large cast and low number of people it's hard to play often, but if you go recruiting... well, you'd be surpised what can happen when you legit try.
clmelty: great roku! lol / I like roku lol
clmelty: I want to make CL like roku team
clmelty: Roku is best popular player in the meltyworld

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 12:21:15 AM »
Anyway Roku, whatever support I can give you in this manner, I will support you. Talk to me via PN if you are interested.

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:08 AM »
What Roku says makes a lot of sense, and i can relate to it as someone who was in a really fortunate situation when i first started out. With a fun game, a certain wonderful someone who'd seriously answer all my dumb questions, and a top player being willing to play whenever i ask; there's no way i wouldn't stay.

I think there's a lot of hidden interest for this game. Just the past couple of months I've had about 80 people join my Hamachi server, and while not everyone is serious enough to stick around for a long time and get better, some are, and i think even more would if their situation was as fortunate as mine.

With that said; it's understandable that certain people won't even touch it. It's a weaboo game filled with lolis, maids and whiny female voices. This will inevitably and forever keep the game from being taken seriously by any majority of people outside the Melty community, regardless of how good the gameplay and mechanics are. American Melty would probably look more attractive if the players didn't have such faggy taste.

I am not "moving on" to anything. If A is superior to B, i will stick with A even if the rest of the world moved on to B (for example, i still use windows XP). This of course applies to the games i play as well. Once I'm done as a student in a month and (hopefully) get back to being a worker, I'll have a lot more time on my hands, time i intend to invest in this game.

The points brought up about scenes and tournaments are specific to North America, so I'll not touch upon them.

Also, fuck UNiB.

Offline VanDarkholme

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 03:33:56 AM »
I think the new chance that Melty got was at the release of CC. One of the things that I think is the reason for Melty pretty much failing in the fgc community is the lack of information about the game. Till today some of the Wiki mizuumi page is empty, and the ps2 pages have been moved somewhere. I know a lot of people that wanted to get into this game, but since some wiki pages were empty, or couldnt find any actual info about the game. Of course this is only one of the many reasons, just felt like no one noticed it. I love this game but man, it is so hard to see how people playing popular fighting games are having so much fun while still having a pretty big community, even in a shitty country like mine, it really makes you think about playing some other games instead of being "that guy that enters tournaments and goes to events that doesnt place high and plays some game no one plays". I'm grateful though for everyone that put on some actual info about the characters/games on the forum, wikia and made great videos, you're the best! :toot:

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 04:46:03 AM »
Eh
Don't think that a great massive awesome wiki brings players. Cause it doesn't (Well I lied, it brings like one or two).

Game's dead guys. Move on... is what I want to say. But hold on. A game is only truly dead when nobody what's to play that shit anymore. Capcom Fighting Jam is dead. Melty, not so much. Someone just said, it's as dead as you allow it to be. To be honest, we're much better off then when we were playing next to vending machines, or playing in the hall ways of the hotel. If you say you want to run a Melty side tourney, someone will probably hook it up. But I digress.

Now moving on doesn't mean you should all play SFxT now. GG guys didn't stop playing until BB. 3S didn't stop until... well they never stopped.  Play what's out there, go <Rei> have fun.  The last thing any of you guys should be doing is getting wighted down by melty, being "obligated" by some mystic force to play for eternity. When all these other games come out, show your support. When ECOLE new game comes out, play it. Please don't be that guy playing Melty in the corner when everyone else is trying new stuff.

Basically...
What I think makes this community great is that we play every goddamn thing. Play SF4, play Marvel, play BB, play Arcana, Skullgirls. Which is why I am confused as to why we are having this conversation. Where do we need to go? No where, just do like we've been doing.
They can't get enough of me