When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: The Arcade Standard: Sticks and Buttons  (Read 10234 times)

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
The Arcade Standard: Sticks and Buttons
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
I've made a mention of this more than a few times over IRC, but I'm gonna ask a more precise question this time.  What is the arcade standard, when it comes for sticks and buttons for Melty Blood: Act Cadenza?  Is there one?  Or does every Japanese arcade use different sticks and buttons for it?  If I were going to SBO for Melty Blood, what sort of sticks and buttons would they have on those machines in the ring?  I'm gonna guess they're going Sanwa for both.. but it is possible to be precise and find out if there's a specific type of Sanwa button?

I'm currently on a Semitsu stick and buttons.  Love the stick, but the buttons are too sensitive.  When I hit AD for a grab, the A will come out 1 frame before AD and I'll end up doing a punch instead.  This really screws me up.  I think some dude said Semitsu originally made buttons for shoot'em ups, so maybe that's why they're too sensitive for fighting games.  I'd like to replace my stuff with whatever the Japanese are playing on.  Then I'll have no more excuses.

Offline Kayin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • A POTENTIAL CAT FUCKING
    • View Profile
Re: The Arcade Standard: Sticks and Buttons
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
I don't think you'd like Sanwa, as they're more sensitive than Seimitsu.
<3

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 06:15:13 PM »
I know for 3s its seimetsu stick, sanwa buttons. Don't see why it would be different for MB, but who knows?
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 06:32:02 PM »
Actually the problem you're talking about has nothing to do with buttons and everything to do with MB's command interpreter fucking sucks balls.

In most other games you get a small leeway in case you dont hit both the buttons on the exact same frame, but oh no, not mb. You press them at the same frame or you don't get a throw.

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 08:30:55 PM »
Wow, that does in fact suck balls
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline ii_otoko

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:40:02 PM »
real arcade pro2

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:13:25 PM »
Actually the problem you're talking about has nothing to do with buttons and everything to do with MB's command interpreter fucking sucks balls.

In most other games you get a small leeway in case you dont hit both the buttons on the exact same frame, but oh no, not mb. You press them at the same frame or you don't get a throw.

You're absolutely wrong on this point, actually. I have a Real Arcade Pro and I play on Mailorder's stick occasionally. It is SO GODDAMNED SENSITIVE that just barely resting your fingers on them will cause you to accidentally input moves. My HRAP, while sentitive, only activates a move after I press down on the button halfway.

Offline Zaido

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • HISATSU - GIIIGAA!! DURIIIRU!! BUREEIIKAA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »
i ono.. when it comes down to activation.. it just shits me.. when it comes to MB interpreter.. hit 2 buttons(A+C) or 3 buttons(A+B+C) i get a 5a   then i activate.. and it killed me many times :emo:
<@Sp00ky> basically ruu got on the stick and started having sex with heart
<@Sp00ky> and she did impossible shit
<@Sp00ky> and arturo died

Offline ii_otoko

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 01:30:26 AM »
Damn dude, clip your nails :V

Just kidding

Hey, how much did that Hori cost? Also, it doesn't sound like it clicks when you press directions, which I thought most Horis did.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 01:50:10 AM »
I could not live without my clicks D:

Fuck hit confirms. It's all about click confirms.

Offline ii_otoko

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 04:44:10 AM »
i brought it at around 4500 yen

and i think its pretty good

actually i want a RAP2 but its too big...

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 05:23:25 AM »
The HRAP's heft is its beauty. The base of small sticks wobble too much for quick and precise input.

Offline Shinjin

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • バカキャ~ン!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 05:52:31 AM »
I have that stick also... I fucking hated it, so I built one with my own hands instead. It might be cheap, but most of us don´t like it. The stick is not too smooth IMO and you have to press the button really hard in comparisson. Trust me, my friend convinced me to buy it cause he ''likes it, and thinks it is not too bad'', but after I bought it.. well.. Let´s just say that all the OTHER sticks I hade tried felt much better.

If you're going to buy a stick, either build one yourself or by HRAP2 or something, not HRAP FIGHTINGSTICK2.

Kthxnybye
ワルク:あはははは!!

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 06:03:16 PM »

You're absolutely wrong on this point, actually. I have a Real Arcade Pro and I play on Mailorder's stick occasionally. It is SO GODDAMNED SENSITIVE that just barely resting your fingers on them will cause you to accidentally input moves. My HRAP, while sentitive, only activates a move after I press down on the button halfway.

it may be a mix of both.  I feel like even when I use your HRAP, I still miss the throws.  I can't say if I miss more often with my stick or not, I never really gave it much thought.  But I know I still miss throws when I use your stick.

I've solved the problem.  I'm just going to use the Q button.  As long as Q was something intentionally designed, and is at every arcade and is gonna be on those SBO cabinets, I'm gonna use it.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »
Just to let you know, I worked literally for a whole week after work getting my jumpcancel airthrow timing down to near perfection. I literally sat down after work every day and practiced one or two BNBs ending in airthrow for at least an hour per days. It IS difficult, and even I whiff it occasionally. But as I'm sure you've seen, I can airthrow on your stick as well. Just keep working at it, make connections in your head as to why/when it's connecting and when it's not, and you should see results!

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 02:00:49 AM »
Why not use Q if the arcade offers it to you?  What's the reason to not use it?

I'm even thinking about using double tap (stick) to dash, instead of AB.  I want to take Guilty Gear seriously someday, so why not?

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 02:40:59 AM »
I myself won't use Q because of its placement. I want to keep my fingers on the main 4 buttons, I'm already used to the function of the other buttons, I don't want to have ANOTHER way to accidentally activate heat, and I could never figure out how to hit the Dust button in GG without problems. Plus, you know my execution rate already, and if the Q button doesn't do IADs for me... no point to start : :toot:

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 07:05:54 AM »
It's all about how far you want to take things.

I am of the school of thought that any serious fighting gamer needs to buckle down and get a custom. hrap is cute and all but mass produced sticks just do not live up to good customs.

Of course you're talking about a guy who just paid $360 for a custom with a sanwa flash, so go figure.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 08:28:25 AM »
Yeah, but that shit is flash. I'm hella jealous.

:(
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~