hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: The MB:AA:CC thread: Current Code 1.07  (Read 278984 times)

Offline Erkz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 127
  • ▄█ ' M ▒░
    • View Profile
Re: The MB:AA:CC thread: Current Code
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:04 AM »
Anyway... managed to rip out the shots Erkz didn't, for some reason. Maybe he didn't because they were already posted and he forgot about it, or maybe it just slipped his mind. I dunno. I'm a completest, so here you go.

That's strange, I could have swo- Oh wow. I forgot to post the whole last row of pictures on photobucket.  :slowpoke:

But yeah, thanks for that.

With regards to filtering the sprites, I suppose they went with that option instead of manually upscaling them so they wouldn't break the palettes and stuff. Also perhaps time constraints.

Curious as to why they even bothered though. All those posts on the BBS about "upgrading the dot graphics" must have struck a nerve or something.
"That's fine. That too is our way of the 'Night Sword'. Advancing even over mountains and rivers of corpses."

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »
Well, it's probably about all we'll get. HD Melty would take a hell of a lot more time and they've already made it pretty clear they don't want to do it. For proof of how long it takes, remember how few characters were in KOF XII compared to KOF XI. That's what happens when you from-scratch sprites and scrap them entirely... which you'd almost certainly need to do in Melty's case since basing new ones off of upscaled ones (a la the SF2 Turbo HD Remix method) probably wouldn't look as good.

If it ever happens, it's either a very secret project of theirs, or it'll be a fan project that's hacked into the original engine.
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »
I'd rather have the low resolution sprites then this ugly, ugly, ugly shit. This shit is going to look awful in motion.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
Theory fighting go go go
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2010, 07:01:10 PM »
This will make it too easy for scrubs to react to American unblockables.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »
I'd rather have the low resolution sprites then this ugly, ugly, ugly shit. This shit is going to look awful in motion.
Right, because sprite filtering = instant bad looks.

From the videos we've seen (where, admittingly, we can't tell very well) it looked about the same.

Trust me... we're not going to notice after awhile.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Getting used to it doesn't negate it being bad.

A filter being used like this is horribly unprofessional and absurdly lazy.

It turns pixels into these ugly splotches of paint.

Ugh.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2010, 12:18:09 AM »
Nobody's forcing you to play it. You could always stick with PS2 Actress which has no such filtering.

Once again, such filtering is still a very, VERY minor thing. Realistically, there is no way you're going to improve the sprites without a full-scale redraw, and filtering is about all that can be done.

Plus seeing as some people DO complain about the low resolution of the sprites, this will placate them, potentially getting more people into the Melty Scene.

What would you rather have, slightly inferior sprites (in your opinion) or more people playing the game? I'll take the second any day. Complaining about filtering on sprites we already know really cannot be improved without being redrawn is silly.

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but I'll take more people, any time. If it takes a little sprite smoothing, so be it, because as I said - after awhile, you're not going to notice it.

Based on those screenshots, the game's running at 640x480 (PS2 Actress runs at 640x448) so realistically, the smoothing is going to be noticeable only way up close anyway. The game's running at identical resolution for all intents and purposes. When things like HQ2X get REALLY ugly is when you scale up the resolutions. If this were running at 1280x960, I would agree they'd look like crap. At this point, it's VERY minor. Some of us didn't even notice until Erkz pointed it out.

Plus, when you're playing and the game is in motion, it's pretty unlikely you'll be thinking "Gee, these sprites are crap."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:25:51 AM by Dark Pulse »

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2010, 02:56:48 AM »
I agree Dark, because the animation quality of Melty surpasses it's doubled pixel size. You won't notice it if you're not cocky.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
Ugh.

I'm not debating it's purpose. I'm not debating it's potential either.

They just look shit, flat out.

I'll play it and enjoy it and all (and not be cocky, no idea why how that's even relevant), but they'll still look pretty ugly.

Whatever.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline Relunx

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »
Any news on satsuki and seifuku akiha changes?

Relunx
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:26:48 AM by Relunx »

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2010, 01:33:35 AM »
Apparently their sprites look worse.

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
I like the old sprites better but this looks fine.

Only problem I have is the outlines look really bad. Fix that and we're good.

Offline academico

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »
Any news of the possible PC version? :-\ :-\
Argentina MB fighter

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
I wouldn't expect a lick of news until after CC hits arcades. The EARLIEST I think we would see a port of this is winter, as they're going to want to give it at least several months to make some money in the arcades.

That said, Sega's RingWide arcade hardware is, for all intents and purposes, a PC, running Windows XP Standard Embedded. A port to "regular" PC would be fairly straightforward.

...But then again, of course, Ecole's made no bones about how they really don't feel like doing it.

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2010, 11:31:07 PM »
Needs to be on a current gen console instead of PC again
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
Needs to be on a current gen console instead of PC again
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2010, 01:08:38 AM »
I DID NOT HEAR THAT. NO I DID NOT HEAR THAT

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
Yeah MBAA on XBLA or PSN would do wonders for this game, much more then putting on the PC.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline WintySoSolo

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2010, 03:36:56 PM »
PS3 release on disk would be nice, from what I understand it's region free without the need to do anything to the console itself.
360 release wouldn't be so good. I'm thinking a lot less people would be willing to mess with the insides of their xbox to make it play import games than modding a PS2.
PSN or XBLA releases - would either of those show up for the US people? I've never really used either very much.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
Not all of us have PS3s or 360s.

Like me.

Besides, wasn't Netplay what supposedly "killed the game?" If so, what good does it do when PSN and XBLA presents more of the same? Especially since this game barely even makes use of PS2 capabilities, much less PS3...

Here's the deal, daddy-o. It won't be on 360. Why? Simple: 360 doesn't sell NEARLY as well in Japan as it does here. As Melty's audience is primarily Japanese, nix that one.

PS3? Possible. But then it wouldn't get over so well here, because SCEA seems to have a funny little idea that 2D games are bad. Plus it'd need to be translated, and it'd probably have new, English voiceovers that would make our collective skin crawl.

So that kind of narrows it down...

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »
Regarding ports, it's going to be what it's going to be. Quit making a stink about it either way and concentrate on what they're making instead.

Besides, wasn't Netplay what supposedly "killed the game?" If so, what good does it do when PSN and XBLA presents more of the same? Especially since this game barely even makes use of PS2 capabilities, much less PS3...

Here's the deal, daddy-o. It won't be on 360. Why? Simple: 360 doesn't sell NEARLY as well in Japan as it does here. As Melty's audience is primarily Japanese, nix that one.

PS3? Possible. But then it wouldn't get over so well here, because SCEA seems to have a funny little idea that 2D games are bad. Plus it'd need to be translated, and it'd probably have new, English voiceovers that would make our collective skin crawl.
One, netplay was not the biggest problem so much as the PC version being the dominant version, which in general makes for enormous amounts of hassles due to varied configurations, controller woes, and generally just not being up to the same standards as LAN parties. (Mostly because the systems must be shared.) Netplay just led to fewer people coming out to gatherings, leading some people to blame it. This is an argument best left for some other thread.

Two, 360 is generally marketed in Japan as an 'otaku' system. A prime example of this is Idolmaster: It's a popular nerd game, but it's 360 only. Not available on the PS3 in any way. The same is true of Cave's shmups, as well as games like Senko no Ronde and Samurai Spirits Sen. This may be due to 360's stricter region locking, or it might be due to lower licensing costs, I don't really know.

As far as good players go, Super Street Fighter 4 is generally more strongly represented on the 360 over there than on the PS3, as well. Part of this is because it's generally just a better port, but it may also be because of the monthly service cost for Live, which thins the player pool to a more dedicated or older crowd.

Third, SCEJ makes just as little sense as SCEA. In general porting is a lot more lenient than it used to be, if it can get on the system in the first place. The PS3 is not as rife with Japan-only titles as you might think. If anything, it has far fewer titles in general.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2010, 12:25:25 AM »
Seeing it pop up on XBLA or PSN would be the most possible, as far as next gen release goes.  Lots of random niche games are getting releases these days, since it's low cost and low risk for the production company to just throw up a downloadable game.  

Anyway, even though I don't have a next gen console, I agree with the fact that it needs to be on one because of some conversation that came up this past weekend at AM6.5.  Basically the general consensus was that the biggest things holding melty back from really exploding is the hassle of getting and playing the game.  
1. It's on a past gen system, which not everyone has anymore.  I know a lot of people who sold old consoles to buy new ones.  Repurchasing an entire system for one game is basically never going to happen.
2. It's an import only title, so you have to go through a certain amount of hassle to mod the system it in some way to play imports/burned games, and then import or get ahold of a copy in less legal ways on top of that.
3. Finding decent ps2 sticks is a fucking miracle these days, since most of them are not made anymore and as a result, are not sold retail anymore.  You basically have to get one custom made or ebay up something and hope you don't have to replace much on it.
4. No netplay, while it builds a stronger local community, does also prevent some people from actually getting much match exp.  Personally, I only regularly play 4 guys, and only one of those plays multiple characters/moons.  I go out to play with other nearby scenes, like AZ and socal (when they can get people together :sadface:) but that's only once every month at most.

The game being on next gen would give it a lot more accessibility to the majority of gamers (especially if it's a downloadable title), the option of netplay, and a more mainstream appeal.  I think that could do a lot for pulling in other fighting gamers into melty, which is my primary interest.  A pc release shares some of these points, but ultimately presents a bigger hassle for the tournament scene, which (like it or not) is the centerpiece of the entire genre and determines the longevity of the game.  When it comes down to it, a pc release wont help the game stay alive and get continued play.

On topic, has there been any other updates on the bbs about changes to the characters?
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Erkz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 127
  • ▄█ ' M ▒░
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2010, 02:50:09 AM »
On topic, has there been any other updates on the bbs about changes to the characters?
Actually, no, they just want to know when there's going to be a PC port.  :slowpoke:

Seriously though, they only made note of a few system changes like the new selectable characters [Ryougi, Seifuku, Nechaos], being able to skip certain things [vs screen, win poses at the end of a round], heat making the "fog effect" come out and giving the characters a dragonball-like aura [wait, what?], and the overall game looking very pretty.

Yeah. Pretty much everything we already knew, dood. :prinny:
"That's fine. That too is our way of the 'Night Sword'. Advancing even over mountains and rivers of corpses."

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2010, 07:22:13 AM »
One, netplay was not the biggest problem so much as the PC version being the dominant version, which in general makes for enormous amounts of hassles due to varied configurations, controller woes, and generally just not being up to the same standards as LAN parties. (Mostly because the systems must be shared.) Netplay just led to fewer people coming out to gatherings, leading some people to blame it. This is an argument best left for some other thread.
I fail to see how this is an issue, since Act Cadenza was out for PS2 well before it was out for PC, with the PS2 version being based off of Ver. A and the PC one being based off Ver. B. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was at least 1-2 years between the versions. (I know the PC version got released late in 2007; I think the PS2 version was either 2006 or late 2005.) For prior games in the series, yes, this would be a factor, admittingly, as those were ALL PC-only, but there wasn't very many people who were here at the beginning, from the original Melty Blood. It's grown a lot since then, and that's good, but I still think that considering how small a country like Japan is compared to America in terms of size, travel is more feasable and so something like Netplay isn't as big of a deal (though RingWide hardware definitely supports online play) which is something I think worth noting.[/quote]

Two, 360 is generally marketed in Japan as an 'otaku' system. A prime example of this is Idolmaster: It's a popular nerd game, but it's 360 only. Not available on the PS3 in any way. The same is true of Cave's shmups, as well as games like Senko no Ronde and Samurai Spirits Sen. This may be due to 360's stricter region locking, or it might be due to lower licensing costs, I don't really know.
While you're correct about the 360 being generally "otaku" oriented, at least with PS3 it'd be region-free, even if SCEA put the kibosh on it. Plus this goes hand in hand with my next bit of opinion...

As far as good players go, Super Street Fighter 4 is generally more strongly represented on the 360 over there than on the PS3, as well. Part of this is because it's generally just a better port, but it may also be because of the monthly service cost for Live, which thins the player pool to a more dedicated or older crowd.
...which I really hate. One of the few real nice advantages PS3 has over 360 is that online play is free. To me, it makes very little sense that one should have to pay just to play online when one is already paying for the internet connection. It reminds me of the old days 20 years ago when you had to pay for things like X-BAND or Sega Channel. (Anyone who remembers these gets a cookie. Anyone who had one of them gets a whole sleeve.) To be fair, in that day and age, you were paying for both the connection and the service; here you already have the connection, just not the service, and they've got some bullshit "silver" level that no game ever lets you netplay off of. It just seems kind of greedy to me...  :slowpoke:

Third, SCEJ makes just as little sense as SCEA. In general porting is a lot more lenient than it used to be, if it can get on the system in the first place. The PS3 is not as rife with Japan-only titles as you might think. If anything, it has far fewer titles in general.
Well, to be fair, SCEA not approving it would matter little, as long as we could still buy it. Most of the Melty community is used to the Japanese version anyway from Actress; it'd hardly be a detriment. The downside of the PS3 is it is a far more expensive console to get, on the other hand. So it essentially boils down to more costs up-front, or cheaper but continued steady payment to access LIVE.