When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: The MBACPC Custom Music Topic  (Read 108104 times)

Offline GhabStopR

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The MBACPC Custom Music Topic
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »
I know I'm pretty late for this train at the moment, but if anyone has some of the older mixes (namely the Castlevania, SoR mixes, and the Sonic ones) and wouldn't mind putting them up somewhere I'd really appreciate it.  Most of them have expired from the hosting sites.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2010, 07:57:06 AM »
Has anyone investigated the possibility of finding out where the loop data is stored? I can tell you it's not in the oggs themselves, so somewhere the engine is getting that data.

If we can find that, the potential for mixes increases exponentially.

If Actress Again Current Code is the last Melty though, we should probably wait a little bit for that game. Current Code is supposed to come out this Spring in arcades, so hopefully that means a PC version should be out by late this year or early next year at the latest.
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Perhaps you're looking for the tool I made?

http://justnopoint.com/lbends/miscstuff/mbacMusicTool.jar

Hmmm I should update it sometime... it's slow and ugly.  (A preview option would probably be good too.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:06:53 PM by Legendary Blue Shirt »

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »
Well, that's part of it, but it's been said that any custom music placed in cannot be longer than the original track (or rather, cannot be of a greater SIZE than the original track.) This means that while one can move the loop point, one cannot have a song of bigger size than the original. While this isn't a problem for some of the main BGMs (Decently high-quality 128k Oggs at 48 kHz) some of the music is considerably lower quality (96k Oggs at 22 kHz) and this leads to some downsampling needed to "fit" a longer song into the apparently-fixed filesize limit. This is the restriction I am talking about in particular.

A true hack of the engine would therefore mean being able to remove this restriction, and thus allowing, in theory, one to place a five-minute song in. (Although a match taking five minutes would be pretty tough, I'd say, unless both players are zoning like mad and afraid to make a move.)

• Spellcaster
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
Irrelevant.  My tool rebuilds the file to bypass the size restriction.

Why don't you actually try using it?
Or here, here's a mix I made using KOF:MI2 music.
http://www.justnopoint.com/lbends/junk/KOFMI2MIX.zip

You'll notice it contains not only the music archive 10.p, but 06.p which is used for storing patch information.  Inside it is a file called BGM.TXT which describes all the loop points that the game uses.  My tool can also modify this file at will.

(Shout out to Mauve whose code I studied in order to open these file in the first place  ;D)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:49:24 AM by Legendary Blue Shirt »

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Ah, well, I didn't know your tool could do that. My apologies then.

I just might have an idea for a mix brewing then, if that restriction is truly removed.

While I got your attention, are there any tools for extracting the .p file contents in general?

EDIT: Oh yes. Thanks to your tool it won't take long at all. As I had read only the initial couple posts in the topic, I had no idea about the size restrictions being neatly removed. Too bad some songs still won't fit, like the intro song... but ah well. A creative bit of editing might fix that, since I don't have to worry about loop points. I just have to fit it in the time, or else the intro scene will end before the song does. :P

EDIT 2: A couple quick things to point out:
  • If you update this tool, a way to simply plug in a SAMPLE NUMBER would be HIGHLY appreciated. Right now, to get a track to loop, one must do a very inefficient division of the Loop Start divided by the Song's frequency in Hz. For example, for a song that loops at Sample 330432 and is at 48 kHz, one must do 330432/48000 to get 6.884, which is then able to be plugged into the current editor. This is, however, inefficient, and if it does not end exactly on an arbitrary division of time, can result in rounding errors in a lot of songs of around three thousandths of a second - not a very big deal and probably audible to only the most sensitive of ears, but this is one thing that can be completely solved by simply allowing an option to enter the loop start by sample number. This then introduces no "rounding error" whatsoever.
  • Tool should probably be updated to AC-specs in terms of character naming - "Warcueid" for example should be Red Arcueid and so on. Some people might not recognize the fan names.
  • A bit more room for the thing, maybe. On my 2048x1152 monitor, the thing is INCREDIBLY tiny. Maximizing it does nothing, and there's no way to expand the view, just the window, which is silly. I think it's fairly safe to at least give it a bit more space, especially since the app cuts off some descriptions anyway. (19.ogg, "Through the Looking Glass - Whit...") I'm pretty sure most people have a resolution of at LEAST 1024x768 nowadays, if not 1280x1024 or something higher. Obviously, don't waste a whole bunch of room, but a little more space to work with couldn't hurt.
  • Tool is not unicode-aware. This makes my comment for 22.ogg ("1-22 戦え!僕らのメカヒスイ!") look like a bunch of question marks, obviously, as it will do to any comment with any non-Latin characters, presumably.
  • Tool contains no confirmation that a song's loop points have been set, or that a song comment has been saved. As I do not know if it saves the comment when you simply type it or when you click "Save Loop Points" I got into the habit of clicking that button to be sure my comment was saved.
Other than that, though, this thing's ace. If I can think of other stuff I'll be sure to mention it, but the ability to do stuff by sample and not just by some arbitrary unit of time is probably the most important one I can think of.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:18:20 AM by Dark Pulse »

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:12 AM »
Update time. And a "new" pack. Sorta.

You can all thank Blue Shirt up there for pointing out his tool can get around the filesize/loop problem, or else these packs wouldn't be possible:

Maybe I'll do a real mix soon. But as far as I could see, nobody else has done this yet, and since I had the tools and the means to get at the music and video, well, SOMEONE had to do it. :) Obviously, this will really only be desired by those who want Actress Again, but lack 1) An Arcade Machine, 2) A Modded/Import PS2, or 3) The CPU Horsepower needed to emulate it. At least this should help those poor unfortunates stave off that burning desire to play it, and show off the nicely-redone music. (That's back to full song lengths, too, something I *HATED* about MBAC PC with a passion.)

Oh yes: Note that I didn't just rip these off the OST. A few songs are different on the OST than they are in the game itself (Namely, 1-09 Stillness Dark and 2-18 Unprecedented, and possibly some others.) How did I get the actual game versions, then?

Well, that will take a bit of explaining... and be potentially another gift... if the demand for it is high enough. ;)

For now, enjoy! And do tell if something's messed up. This pack nearly got put up with a missing loop in "1-13 The theme of Arcueid" but I managed to catch that. I confess I only took a couple quick playthroughs though, so test this out for me and if you find any problems they'll be fixed damn quick. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:08:50 AM by Dark Pulse »

Offline zebdal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
#1.Lolidunking Mix
sharpnel, redalice, m1dy and others on melty.

well that's fucking EPIC.
Kohaku & Miyako user.
For MBAC online matches, pm me.

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »
Hey I had a question about this stuff since I'm having issues here. I've made my replacement files into .ogg format AND smaller or equal to the orginal file I am replacing, but I get some weird results when I import the files. Hopefully someone has had similar issues that can help me here, otherwise sadfaec.

Issue 1 (doesn't affect anything major so I don't think it's anything to be overly concerned about): .ogm?

As you can see in this screenshot, sometimes when I've replaced a file, the file will show up as .ogm the next time I scan 10.p. I don't really know why this is happening, but yeah. It doesn't affect anything in game from what I can tell and the songs still work so, *shrugs*.

Issue 2 (halts my progress of making this 10.p music mod): Extractor error

I tried to replace the 8th file in the 10.p with a song I made to replace it (lesser file size, ogg format). I thought I had all the requirements done properly, but it just refuses to replace it properly, and after I do replace it, I get this error message and I have to copy back over my backup 10.p file to start over again.

If anyone has any suggestions/help I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm lost  :psyduck:

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
Use BlueShirt's tool. The old restrictions on Quality and size are removed with it, and it does the replacements and such automatically.

You do need to know your song's loop point though. Ideally up to four decimals, so as to minimize the "potential" error in looping, since according to BlueShirt, the game specifies loops in seconds, not in samples, and so there's no way to be 100% accurate.

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »
how do you run a .jar file?

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »
It will run like a normal EXE, actually, as long as your system has a Java Interpreter on it. (And it should.)

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
I don't think it does, cause it's just showing up as an unrecognized file. Guess I'll google to see if I can find Java Interpreter

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2010, 01:04:46 AM »
well I opened the .jar with javaw.exe, but it says "Class not found, terminating program"  :psyduck:

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:20 AM »
It runs fine for me when I double-click it.

Is Java properly installed on your computer?

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »
I checked the website and it says I have the most up to date version of Java

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »
I got nothin' lol

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
That's very odd then. I can just double click it and run it like a normal EXE.

On my computer, it opens with "Java(TM) platform SE binary." Since you said it didn't run with  javaw.exe, try running it with java.exe.

• Spellcaster
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
See if the commandline works.

java -jar mbacMusicTool.jar

If it doesn't work, your system's PATH environment variable is not including the java BIN folder.
http://www.jibble.org/settingupjava.php
It's rare but occasionally the java installer messes this up.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:59:32 AM by Legendary Blue Shirt »

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
well the command line failed, and after changing the Path environment to include the bin folder I still get "could not find the main class: C:\Users\Spudman2798\Desktop\mbacMusicTool.jar. Program will exit." error message.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2010, 05:24:48 AM »
I'm going to hazard a guess and say he's on Vista or Win7 then?

It's not a problem, as I've run the tool on both Vista and 7 (64 bit versions, at that) but Vista and Win7 tend to make shit like this harder to troubleshoot.

Offline Spud89

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2010, 03:07:37 PM »
yeah I'm on lol7

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2010, 05:06:22 PM »
Yeah, it's doing dumb shit then. Java probably has to be run in administrator mode or something.

Set both java.exe and javaw.exe to run in administrator mode and that should work. If not, uninstall it, then download and reinstall it entirely.

Offline monkeyscythe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
I tried to change the song for neros stage to his BMW ones.Loaded up the program, put it in, set the loop time and when i try to play it just plays the normal stage music instead. Any idea whats up?

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:26 PM »
It's actually an error in the program - BlueShirt screwed up the names.

08.ogg and 10.ogg are mislabeled. What is actually "Nero's Stage" (08.ogg) is actually Midnight Park, and what is actually "Arcueid's Stage" (10.ogg) is actually Back Alley.

So to replace Nero's Stage, replace 10.ogg, not 08.ogg. 08.ogg will replace Midnight Park.

Again, I think that's BlueShirt's fault. :p