When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Would you like every character to be different?  (Read 5533 times)

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
Would you like every character to be different?
« on: June 01, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »
Hi all.

Just wondering if you would like it if every character, especially the "mirror-image" ones had entirely different sprites and moves in Actress Again. I mean that Nanaya wouldn't jump and land exactly like Shiki does and Sion and VSion's A and B normals weren't the exact same. Would this affect your playing since you're so used to their movesets now and if they changed it would it be hard to cope?

Personally, I would appreciate it if they changed VAkiha entirely. She resembles her counter-part too much.
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
Re: Would you like every character to be different?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:36:22 AM »
Just having similar looking moves doesn't mean anything. Most of the shared moves are still different in terms of frame data and effects, for example warc's 5B and arc's 5B look the same but act completely different. Vakiha 2C is actually slower than Akiha's, etc. They're fine like they are.
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »
I can see it for some normals with the same properties, but even then it's not that big of a deal. For example both Sion and VSion have 3B as a launcher, but Sion needs it, while VSion doesn't use it in all of her combos because she has 623B/C and 236C. And the Shikis ARE very different. Nanaya has a much smaller dash on the ground and his 5C doesn't go as far. Nanaya also fast falls. Akiha's 623 is also very different from Vakiha's 623 despite looking the same. Vakiha's 623 loops with her 2C, Akiha's does not.

Anyways, the fact is most of this game is hitconfirm -> ground combo -> launch -> air combo and in that respect most characters ARE the same. What exactly makes a Kohaku bnb different from a Nanaya bnb besides a few buttons? I mean, if you really want to change moves that do the same thing, the only thing you really should change is tk flametongues, but I doubt either Akiha or Vakiha would be happy losing it.

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
Anyways, the fact is most of this game is hitconfirm -> ground combo -> launch -> air combo -> air throw and in that respect most characters ARE the same.

*fixed

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:47:09 PM »
Sion and VSion's A and B normals weren't the exact same.

Sion:
Command     Startup     Block Adv     Hit Adv
    5A               5                0             0    
    5B               6              −5           −5
    2A               4              −2           −2
    2B               8              −3           −3

V-Sion:
Command     Startup     Block Adv     Hit Adv
    5A               4                0             0
    5B               6                0             0
    2A               4              −2           −2
    2B               9                0             0

For example both Sion and VSion have 3B as a launcher, but Sion needs it, while VSion doesn't use it in all of her combos because she has 623B/C and 236C.

I'd like to point out that this is kind of a false statement. V-Sion needs 3b to pick up throws and counterhits. Also both 3b's have different frame data. It was a bad example but you were on the right track.

Personally, I would appreciate it if they changed VAkiha entirely. She resembles her counter-part too much.

I don't buy it...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:11:37 AM by Kyrie »

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 05:24:15 PM »
Actually, I was just referring to the fact that they recycled quite some sprites for the clones like Nanaya's and Shiki's jumps. But I guess that doesn't matter much to you guys. Sorry, but I'm one who appreciates little things. Using the same sprites makes me think that Type-Moon is lazy.
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 05:25:08 PM »
Actually, I was just referring to the fact that they recycled quite some sprites for the clones like Nanaya's and Shiki's jumps. But I guess that doesn't matter much to you guys. Sorry, but I'm one who appreciates little things. Using the same sprites makes me think that Type-MoonFrench Bread is lazy.
fixed

IIRC there's only one sprite artist for Melty Blood
thundering waterfalls

Offline Pfhor

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Beyond the 1% barrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
Yeah it doesn't really matter. MB has higher quality animation than most fighters (about on par with 3s) despite the low res sprites, so the fact that they recycle a few animations to give the game more content is ok.

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »
Yeah it doesn't really matter. MB has higher quality animation than most fighters (about on par with 3s) despite the low res sprites, so the fact that they recycle a few animations to give the game more content is ok.

i disagree.
NERINA IS A MURDERER

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »
I want better graphics

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind increasing the definition so the sprites looked more round like GG but I don't mind the movesets.

It's weird that there's attention to details like Kohaku's face but her face looks blocky regardless.

Offline YuenSan

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Can't you say it in smaller syallables b4 I win?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »
I would like better Easter Eggs other than waiting for that certain day to arrive...
Device: Gamepad (sorry...not enough to buy a gamestick yet)

Plays: MBAC, Tsukhime (fav is Hisui <3,) Touhou, and MMOs
 FU #1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 10 (srsly,) and 12 are so in this forum lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUJJpQzRkVE

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:59 PM »
Every character is different enough for it to not really matter at the moment. Animations become irrelevant later on because when you play a move is a move....whether someone is flying at you butt-first while holding a giant key or throwing bright lasers in your face, come game-time all you care about are the move properties.

If you want more diverse and fun combos, then play GG or something. The combos in MB still serve their purpose as combos (provided you don't fuck them up). Even then, the diversity in MB combos is still not absent or particularly lacking; sacchin arms, arc wallslam loops, midscreen relaunches, and 5cc ninjashit, miyako wallslam combos and dash-elbow extenders, particularly cool stuff like akiha 2c loops; the list goes on. While it isn't as crazyweird as GGAC in combo shenanigans, it -is- better than most fighters, and its something I personally appreciate a whole lot more than cr.MK super. Be grateful.

As for moves that are similar/identical, they're really not enough. To use Kyrie's example, although sion and v.sion 5a,5b,2a,and 2b look identical, only 5a and 2a are functionally the same and for the most part all the 5a's and 2a's in the game are functionally the same. Their 5b's and 2b's have the big difference of one being neutral on block and the other being unsafe which does a lot for V.Sion's rushdown game. Even their 6b's, one is chargeable and the other not, but the bigger difference is how much invincibility they have; one has (more?) lower body invincibility. Their j.C? V.Sion's is superior in range despite having the same animation. Even their 3b, again, Sion needs it for all of her combos and V.Sion can pull off combos for every situation without it (actually usually better to NOT use 3b, for throws there are other options like 2b5b and for CH you can do those cool 6b groundbounce shenanigans)

This isn't just for these two, either. Akiha and V.Akiha are arguably the most similar characters, yet play more than significantly different from each other because of movement differences.

tl;dr: No one gives a shit about animations and disregarding those the game has more than sufficient variety and diversity
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

<kijea> im like really sad life faggot

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:49:27 PM »
I'd say sufficient, not more than sufficient. :)
NERINA IS A MURDERER