• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
H Roa
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
5A: Ugly little foot poke. Best saved for RBs/ 6AAA
5B: Good distance mid poke
5C: 2 Hit heavy poke. Good hitbox, can be used as anticipatory anti air. Cancel the first hit in longer strings if you want to stay in.
6C: Weird little wave. Chargable (adds range/damage/forces knockdown on hit.) Jump cancellable on block. Can be empty cancelled to exes (use 214C)
2A: Typical fast low poke.
2B: Typical mid speed low
2C: Ugly little foot sweep. Can be used as risky anti air. Use it as followup to air counter hits.
j.A: Ugly little air poke. Not too great but faster than j.C
j.B: Another ugly looking air poke. Good for tagging people who like to get above you.
j.C: Pretty fast air poke. Good for grounded opponents.

214X: Lightning bolt. Unairblockable, safe, good range. EX version sets up long blockstrings.
236x: Soko Darou. A version is antiair/to tag people who move out of strings. It can be unsafe in some cases. B version has frame advantage and is hard to avoid once it has started. C version is used to tag laggy moves or as a combo ender.
623x: Typical dp. Unairblockable.
Air: 236x: Aerial version of his dp. Relatively safe. A version can be used as really early antiair but it will lose if done too late.. B version has applications after 6C. C version can be used to end an aircombo as a round finisher, does a little more damage than airthrow.

Combos:
2A 5B 2B 5C 6AAA 2C 6C j.BC dj.BC airthrow (basic bnb, omit 6aaa when out of a normals or at bad distances)

2A 5B 2B 5C 6AAA 6[C] 236A/C (oki after)

2A 5B 2B 5C 6AAA 6[C] 41236C (high damage with oki after)

Air CH: 2C 6C j.BC dj.BC airthrow.

6C 214C iad.B land j.BC dj. BC airthrow (use when opponent attempts to jump out of 6C 214C)

236B 5A 6C j.BC dj. BC airthrow

Strings:
2A 5B 2B 5C(2 hit) 2C 6C 214C 236B 2A 5B 2B 5C (2 hit) 2C 6C 214C 236B 2A 5B 2B 5C
(Guard crush string. Good versus opposing H moons. Use when you reach heat during a blockstring. Watch out for bunker)

6C iad.B: Primary option off 6C. Good to toss out sometimes just to establish you can do it and stop jumpouts. Especially dangerous when opponent is expecting 6C 214C.

6C 236B: Similar to above. Good way to keep the opponent locked down because of 214C threat, without actually using 214C.

6C 214C: Main corner oki setup. Can use 236X/iad.X after.

214B 236A: Snuffs jumpout/pokes after 214B.

Buffering tricks:
236A+B~A: Dashing antiair. Stops long distance setups. Can set up ground crossups. Combo 5A 6C after on CH.

6A+B3214C: Dashing 214C. Good after airthrow. Even if opponent evades it they will have to waste jumps to keep from getting tagged.

6C 2369A 214C: Confuses opponents waiting to antiair 6C iad.B. Tight despite not looking so (214C will tag the opponent during early jump.)

5A 4EEEE 2C 6C: Use on H-Moons to bait out bunker after 214C redash mixup. If they bunker you will grab them, if they dont you will perform a string.

Defensive strategies:
236C: Useful versus several characters with long range strategies. Common moves it will defeat:
H V.Sion: 6B (look for the hand animation)
H Roa: 236X
Aoko: 236X/22X (look for the hand animation)
F V Akiha: Air pit (listen for the voice clip)
Chaos: Summons (Watch for the opening coat animation)
Etc.

214B: Set this up as antiair/anti crossup. If the opponent doublejumps, 214C or 236A immediately.

Weaknesses:
236B startup can be 2A'd or jumped out of.
No real tricks off midscreen throw other than 236B. You can attempt to tech punish with 236C but it's unwieldy.
No real followups to 236B midscreen unless you hit with the edge.
Weak shield counters.
Weak jump attacks.
No real overhead.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:12:02 PM by Sp00ky »

Offline ikeTATARI

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Sometimes, you only need 1 word.
    • View Profile
Re: H Roa
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
I cannot, for the life of me, get a 2C to connect after 6AAA. Is it a typo? It's the only combo that has that notation in it, and I've been trying for a good 2 hours...

To actually add to the thread:

I don't know how useful this is, but off a neutral/backwards tech following a throw, you can do this:

214A sjc BC djBC airthrow (3457 damage on VSion)

Additionally, 214C at mid-max range can be followed up by a sjfBC djBC airthrow (4620 damage on VSion)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:03:31 PM by Michael Jackson Impersonator »

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »
Did you delay between the last hit of 6AAA and the 2C? You have to wait for the enemy to fall a little for the 2C to connect.
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline ikeTATARI

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Sometimes, you only need 1 word.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:05:07 PM »
That did it. For some reason it didn't even register to wait in my brain... Gogo gadget failure!

Also, it would help to specify that you can't use both hits of 5C as it pushes you too far away - it took me a bit to figure that part out, too. But now I got it! XP

Offline Spidey

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • No homo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »
are there any good followups to a CH j236A/B?
Soko Darou

Offline Rayza

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 85
  • Lexus LFA
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter account
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
sp00ky mind if I add this info to the h-roa wiki
Follow me @MisterRayza for updates on my streams.

Offline BZB

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
So know how F Roa can combo off his throw in the corner?  H can too.... however I've only gotten it to work on len/white len.  Now maybe len/white len have an ezier timing for the 2a off his corner throw to combo (since from what I read its a 1 frame link).  Was I just missing the link vs everyone else???? Can H Roa combo off his throw like F?

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:22:16 PM »
so i'm picking up this character as my alt instead of fkouma and just tried a few things

4.8k (on vsion) BnB anywhere:

2AA 5B2B 5C(1) 6AAA[C] 214B j.BC j.BC airthrow

(note that throwing in delays between 6AAA 6[C] and 6[C] and 214B can make landing the j.B a little easier although it isn't too hard in the first place)

some other things: it seems that you can jump cancel after j.236B if you land all the hits. i tried doing 6AAA[C] tk j.236B dj.stuff but in the end didn't find anything useful. it seemed more useful that if he got a j.C hit from too high that it wouldn't want to combo into a groundstring, he can j.236b, jump cancel, continue aircombo for something like 3k damage off a random hit which is pretty nice

i'm wondering about the usefulness of tk j.236A as a which-way tool but i should experiment with that myself later

note that roa's normals all have quite a bit of range and like to move him forward, so one very notable strength is that he can set up nice frametraps where he's safe from mash due to how far away he is, but the comboability of his normals allows him to get around 4k if the frametrap succeeds.

it looks like he gets a pretty strong knockdown for oki after soko darou/deru but it looks like the strongest knockdowns he gets are off of 2c and 6[c]. the problem is finding an oki setup to actually run.

from my first impressions he seems like a very very solid character and kind of seems like MB's version of a shoto, which is a little hard for me to explain...
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

<kijea> im like really sad life faggot

Offline BZB

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:31:55 PM »
Found a couple of new mixups with roa i've been using with good success.

First his 66 9~backdash (lowest possible timing) keeps roa unbelievably low/stationary in the air.  You can even connect his j.b for an overhead and follow it up with BnB!  I've been using that in my mixup after b blanka balls, leads into great dmg.

Also after realizing his j.236B lets him jump up I thought about trying that in mixup on wakeup.  So I mix ^^ mixup on wake up with a dashing superjump tk j.236B (crossups if delayed).  If it's meaty all three hits will connect every time, follow it up with a j.cb airthrow.

You can also jump cancel his j.236B in the corner with an air dash (gotta hit it lowww).  Really throws people off.

Also Sp00ky I saw a couple of your roa matches on the stream tonight, mixup your block strings.. reverse beat pressure etc.  I wanted to tell ya to throw out more b blanka balls in pressure to get them flinching to jump too, unless they are just really good at seeing the animation or something.

Offline BZB

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 11:41:59 PM »
O also has anyone figured out why sometimes roa's blanka ball crosses up in corner??  Sometimes i'll be in trainning mode, push cpu to corner, dash throw, and if I b blanka ball when it wiff it'll crossup.  Other times i'll try same character stage etc and it wont work.... driving me crazy :psyduck:

Offline SoaCahRoah

• Apprentice
  • It's mathematics
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
EDIT: NVM After reading more of the thread I'm an idiot this is a stupid post.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:00:51 AM by SoaCahRoah »