When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Alternative matchmaking program for MB:CC?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Bkid

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Alternative matchmaking program for MB:CC?
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
Although I'm not super great at coding or anything, I can do enough to get me by in most situations.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a matchmaking program (very loosely) similar to MTSP and such. It would consist of a small chat program (most likely connecting to an irc server which would cut down on the need for a dedicated server or any sort), and people can connect and find matches from there.

I can't seem to find any flags/switches for MBAA.exe to directly put someone in host/join mode and enter the IP, so the most the program could possibly do is give people a place to meet up easily (even people who don't normally use IRC), and possibly the ability to right click on someone and copy their IP (after giving permission or something like that, I'll have to figure that part out).

Would anyone be interested in something like this, and is the community even large enough anymore to warrant something like this?

Thanks in advance for any reply.  :nyoro:

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative matchmaking program for MB:CC?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
I think the Mizuumi IRC channels already fill this role nicely; finding matches is not a problem.
Finishing a match before it desyncs due to shitty japanese programming is harder.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:31:31 AM by Roy-Kr »

Offline Bkid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:16:28 AM »
Yeah I had a look at that yesterday. It does seem to do a pretty good job, and honestly if I ended up making a program it would just be an irc client that automatically connects to a channel with that bot in it. It could also have certain things like possibly having the color of someone's name change if they're hosting, and the ability to click on their name to auto-copy their ip and port.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:12:13 AM »
right, so like, programming an irc hostbot is not hard, necessary, or never-done-before, as you used the bot yourself
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Bkid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:39:58 AM »
Again, it's not just an IRC bot, it's essentially an irc client with MB netplay-specific features added on.