When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: MBCaster Mauve. Router restarts itself  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Zak Undersn

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
MBCaster Mauve. Router restarts itself
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »
Hello. Firstly I must say I'm Spanish, so my post may be... hard to read. I'm sorry for that.

A friend of mine is having a problem with mbcaster, he's using version 071226 of the mbcaster mauve (this one) and his router only restarts itself whenever he tries netplay. His ports are opened, he disabled firewall and antiviruses, he tried different versions of the caster but the router keeps restarting itself.
This only happens when he contacts to or is contacted by another player, when he uses the port testing option (8) doesn't appear any problem, and the debug (9) option works correctly. The problem only appears when someone tries to play with him, both when he hosts and when he connects to another player. The router turns off when both players connect, a few seconds after the player selection screen appears.
He's using a Thomson tcw710 router. And I have a copy of his DxDiag file, if you need something from there, ask for it.
Thanks anyway!

EDIT: We have been just now trying to play using his laptop, connected to the same router. Now the ruter doesn't turn off, but the caster prints an error message: "ERROR: TIMEOUT < Away >". I guess it's a router problem, but i'm not really sure of what to do.
EDIT2: The router turns off itself even using the laptop.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:07:24 PM by Zak Undersn »

Offline BANGER

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: MBCaster Mauve. Router restarts itself
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
Have you tried using Hamachi to get around the router or using the Relay (http://www.meltybread.com/forums/index.php?topic=1067.0)?

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:51:00 AM »
This sounds like the router has faulty port forwarding on it. That is, if he's hosting he's probably got his ports forwarded, but it's causing the router to wig out explosively whether he's hosting or not. He should probably get rid of that forwarding route and rely on other people hosting or using the relay. If all else fails I guess there's hamachi but that should be considered a last resort, as always.

Beyond that, I gots no suggestions, since Caster is not doing anything special that might cause problems other than sheer quantity of packets.

Offline Zak Undersn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:15 AM »
We haven't tried hamachi, but we did use relay, and it doesn't work. In fact, when using relay, the caster prints a message suggesting that our casters might be uncompatible and that whe should upgrade to the latest version, but we both have the same version installed, and that message only appears when we use the relay.
About relying on other people hosting, the router fails too when he's not hosting, so... could the problem be that the router cannot handle with lots of packets?

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:43:41 AM »
Apparently you didn't read my post.

I said to disable the port forwarding rules that he was using to host with. There are known cases of routers having severely broken port forwarding mechanisms that actually do more harm than good to the connection.

If that doesn't work, then he's SOL and the router is a piece of junk.

Offline Zak Undersn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:00:05 AM »
Oh, sorry, i didn't understand that part. We'll try that.

Offline Annamaria

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
I had the same problem with this router resetting over and over about once every minute when I added a port in Port Forwarding.  I was pulling my hair out and thought it was a power supply or connection problem or even a stuck reset switch.  Finding this post helped me discover that Port Forwarding was the problem.

That said, I think I found a fix.  I was trying to forward one port, so let's say that was port 40000.  I set the range from 40000 to 40000.  However, since I have changed that to 39999 to 40001 I have now had a steady up time of the router for going on 7 hours now.

It seems that there must be a spread of multiple port numbers.  I could be wrong, but this is the only variable I have changed since going from 2 minute up times to 7 hours.