• Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
Relay
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:27:22 AM »
Relay IP: 208.83.220.135
Both players must use option 7 and enter that IP

1. What is the relay?

The relay is a program running on the mizuumi.net server that helps two people connect to each other using the Caster client.

2. Who runs the relay?

I do, bellreisa. mauve coded the relay for use on mizuumi.

3. How does relay work?

NAT punching. Look it up on wikipedia. Short answer: it takes two IPs and introduces them to each other so they can connect.

To use the relay, both players need to use Option 7 Standby and enter either mizuumi.net or the mizuumi.net IP, 208.83.220.135. You should see "Now waiting for introduction", which means you are on the relay waiting for the other side. When the other player connects, you will see "Now waiting for response", followed by connection messages if it works.

4. Why would I use the relay?

Relay is only used when neither player can port forward to host a game. This is the only time it needs to be used. Relay will not make the connection go any slower OR faster.

5. I seem to lag more when I use relay!

Shut the fuck up, you're a faggot.

The relay is only a program used to initiate two IPs to connect to EACH OTHER. The connection is still directly from you to the other person. The relay does not offer a server-side connection.

6. When I try to connect to someone with relay it still times out!

NAT punching cannot solve all router issues. If it doesn't work the first time, try having both sides restart Caster. If that still doesn't work, it will not work, period. Rebooting will not make a difference, nor will reinstalling or running your own relay. Relay will not solve all port forwarding issues.

7. Relay isn't working! Is it down?

Option 7 Standby, 208.83.220.135. Do you see "Now waiting for Introduction"? If so, relay isn't down. Faggot.

If you get no response, then relay is indeed down and I'm a faggot.

8. How do I run my own relay?

Port forward udp 7500, and open Caster. Tell the players to use option 7 standby to your IP. There is no difference between your own relay or mizuumi's. Your location will not make a difference.

9. I'm getting Command Version Error, what does this mean?

One of you is using the wrong Caster. Relay functionality supports IaMP, SWR, and Melty Blood.

10. What if relay doesn't help us get a connection working?

Use Hamachi, I guess. NOTE: Hamachi IS a server-side connection so it WILL increase the ping. However Hamachi emulates a LAN, so hosting issues should be easily eliminated.

11. How do I spec a relay game?

Once you connect, Caster will print out the IP and port you connected to. Copy and paste this to others who want to spec.

12. Can I sit on relay and wait for random people to connect?

NO. The relay is not a matchmaking service. Use IRC, Hamachi, or whatever the fuck you guys want for that, but relay has built-in anti-camping measures. If you camp on the relay, it will kick you off after 90 seconds. Doing this repeatedly will get your IP tempbanned for 5 minutes from relay.

13. How do I

Read this fucking post again.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:39:32 PM by bellreisa »
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline asdfqwer

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Relay
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »
Nice  ;D. Though I do sometimes use the relay to play instantly with a random person if he's waiting in the relay.

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
Some addendums.

9. I'm getting Command Version Error, what does this mean?

One of you is using the wrong Caster. Relay functionality supports IaMP, SWR, and Melty Blood.
This should not ever happen through the relay, because it only connects users of identical version values to each other. If you are doing standby through a normal Caster client, this can happen, however.

11. How do I spec a relay game?

Once you connect, Caster will print out the IP and port you connected to. Copy and paste this to others who want to spec.
Not all routers support this, so YMMV. Some routers also get weird and suddenly let people connect to port 7500 regardless of the ports used here.

Though I do sometimes use the relay to play instantly with a random person if he's waiting in the relay.
The relay is not a matchmaking service, do not use it as one. It is meant for users who cannot host, nothing more.

Offline Keith

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 15
  • Back from the dead, hell yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
Also, the technical term for "NAT punching" is "UDP hole punching". :V
Running H-Kohaku, and I don't want to stop.
Graced by the presence of His Wongness as he ly ped from the heavens and stole everyone's cash.

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
As I've just been reminded, here's another one for the pile, since it's related.

How can I tell if I am able to host games?

Caster has a feature to test this under 'test myPort.' Simply select that and point it at the relay's IP, and it will test to see if you are capable of hosting a game or not. If it says "OK", hosting should work fine for you and you do not need to use the relay to play.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »
Okay fagbusters

Relay has anti-camping implemented

Don't make us implement permabans
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Pink

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Kainekenjeru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
Just for the record... the TempBan probably shouldn't be induced so quickly... I rely a lot on the relay in order to connect to people, but sometimes it likes to be weird and decide to give timeouts after "Now Waiting for Response" and then randomly allow one to finally connect... While trying to connect to a friend I got temp-banned thrice before it finally stopped giving timeouts... it was a bit of a nuisance.

The anti-camping programming is definitely appreciated, I just think it's a little too strict at the moment. (Used to get a ridiculous amount of relay campers last month.) My friends are also rather... slow... most of the time, so 30 seconds often isn't even enough for them to finally try to connect... =>.>=

Just a couple ideas is all.

Offline AntiJDS

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • FUCKING DUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »
After I input the Relay IP it says "Input Target IP" Instead of "Now awaiting introduction".

Offline orochiwolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »
That happened to me too. I put the IP that the Relay requests, and I think it worked. If not, then something's wrong.
After I input the Relay IP it says "Input Target IP" Instead of "Now awaiting introduction".

All of that happened to me too. Type in the IP requested by bellreisa in the first post. It should work then, if it doesn't, erm, uhh, I forgot what I did to get it to work. :slowpoke:

Offline AntiJDS

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • FUCKING DUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
That happened to me too. I put the IP that the Relay requests, and I think it worked. If not, then something's wrong.

All of that happened to me too. Type in the IP requested by bellreisa in the first post. It should work then, if it doesn't, erm, uhh, I forgot what I did to get it to work. :slowpoke:
OK Thanks.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• Magus Candidate
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:42:46 PM »
In light of increased usage of the relay, the following changes have been made:

- You are now allowed to sit on the relay for 90 seconds. That is a minute and a half. If you are matchmaking through IRC, this is plenty of time for you to connect. If you are trying to matchmake through a message board such as 4chan, oh well, hope you F5 in time.

- You are now tempbanned for 300 seconds if you repeatedly time out on the relay (repeatedly being three times right after another). This is a five minute tempban. Relay is not meant for matchmaking, and camping it will cause people to connect to the wrong person at times. Use AIM, IRC, 4chan, a forum, whatever you need to do -- but don't sit on the relay waiting for matches. Repeat offenders will be permabanned.
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• Magus Candidate
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »
There was a problem when people connecting to each other via relay and not succeeding would get tempbanned for "hammering". This was unintentional, as the tempban was only meant to stop people from camping. This problem has been fixed, so connecting and failing repeatedly will not trigger the tempban (but will still be sort of annoying).
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Espard

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »
Hmm is relay down or is it just me?  Cause I seem to be timing out faster than usual and no connection.  And when I tested the port it was bad.

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
mizuumi.net is down right now, so consequently the standby relay is too.

Just find someone who can host (or is playing a game currently or whatever) and have both of you standby to him. Any running MBCaster client, no matter what state it's in, can be a standby relay.

Offline Espard

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »
Does this work using Hamachi IPs?  Or do you need a direct IP to work?  Thanks for the info and help  ;D

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »

If you're using Hamachi, what the hell do you need the relay for? The entire point of using Hamachi is to bypass router issues. The relay is just an alternative (superior, due to lower lag) way of doing it.

Offline Espard

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »
Hmm like stated in this post:  http://www.meltybread.com/forums/index.php?topic=1789.0  where it seems it a connection issue (which I'm not sure what it is entirely...)  that problem hasn't been solved and I've just been avoiding it using relay.  Strangely it works on another computer which uses the same router...but that isn't the problem (since that computer is weird with MBAC...).  I have tried connecting w/ Hamachi IP and when it connects and the match starts its like... 10FPS a second? (Its not lag spikes its just extremely slowed down.)

Offline ElderGOD

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 29
  • COLE / LUX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 01:35:15 AM »
I'm running a temp relay until Mizuumi come back up

It should be up most of the time
215-218-8244

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 05:13:05 AM »
In other words, since it works if you use the relay, your problem is that Hamachi is a piece of garbage that adds lag.

Surprise! It's what I've been saying all along. Don't use Hamachi for online play. It sucks and is unreliable.

Offline Espard

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
I'm running a temp relay until Mizuumi come back up

It should be up most of the time

Thanks alot!   8)

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
mizuumi.net relay is back up.

Offline Espard

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »
Thanks for the hard work  ;D.

Offline jakstar

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 05:34:04 AM »
thanks for the hard work and all but....

>.>

you should take it easy   :prinny: :prinny:

Offline sketch21

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
is it me or is  ???

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
is it me or is  ???

nice and well thought out post. very vibrant description of your possible problem and I have no trouble whatsoever devising a solution to your problem.  :blah:
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~