hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Tick throws in netplay  (Read 5064 times)

Offline AlmightyNam

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Holy F*ckin shit, my eyeballs
    • View Profile
Tick throws in netplay
« on: September 13, 2007, 08:42:44 PM »
I'm just wondering, 'cause i'm getting the hang of tick throwing, is it frowned upon to tick throw on netplay? Like obviously when theres lag I have a real advantage tick throwing and I try not to, but in games where the game is 60fps and delay 3 is it still not good practice to tick throw people?

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
Re: Tick throws in netplay
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 09:01:39 PM »
I've had a few matches vs some people that i kept tick throwing them ... nobody really said anyhitng to me, If anyhitng lag makes tick throwing less effective since you can see it coming alot easyer.  well thats just my opinion <.<. . .

Offline AlmightyNam

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »
Yeah, but just because you can see it coming doesn't mean that the input registers in time to stop it. Same goes for mixups. Its like, I usually see them the split second that I'm allowed to block it, but the lag makes the input miss. Not that it matters too much, its only aggrivating when your opponent doesn't seem affected at all by lag. Thats  :(

Offline KomagPHL

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:23:11 PM »
well it's really obvious to see a tick coming if the game stops every 3 seconds.

Offline AlmightyNam

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »
Eh, thats good enough permission for me to keep on doing it.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:08:37 AM »
Keep doing it. Ticks are valid, and some people in netplay mash buttons a lot more, making ticking less effective against these players. Smart poke-outs are also effective, and it's possible to queue these poke-outs up.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 02:00:06 AM »
If it works, then use it. There is no honour in fighting games. Fuckin' bash their skulls in.
what the fuck is this game

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 05:27:08 AM »
If it works, then use it. There is no honour in fighting games. Fuckin' bash their skulls in.

<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline AlmightyNam

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 06:05:49 PM »
I'd like to agree, but the only thing I had against it is that taking advantage of lag is kinda like taking advantage of a third party pausing the game for a second. That quote is and should only apply to using in game mechanics that people deem "cheap" or broken, like an infinite combo or something.

Offline 4r5

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 89
  • GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:38:01 PM »
If we're going to frown on tick-throws, then are we also going to frown on air-to-ground blockstrings because lag makes it too hard to transition from high guard to low guard? The examples can go on forever. It's online play. Lag is everywhere and is always present. There is no way to not take advantage of it.

Offline furix

• Spellcaster
  • Mugilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 11:42:54 PM »
Nah, there's nothing wrong with tick throwing on netplay, in fact, you can and should be able to react to it anyways, the lag really poses no threat. This is of course taking into account that a good FPS is present and a delay is of atleast 4. But, even then there should be no problem with tick throws.