When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: NorPor: KJAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!  (Read 599139 times)

Offline Tsubasa☆

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 12
  • 2πr(θ/360)
    • View Profile
Re: Northern California: KJAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2008, 10:58:17 AM »
If the tourney happens on the 29th, count me out.  I've committed to something already a few months in advance. m(_ _)m  Any other weekend in March, I could do.
AHAH so you do have something planned.
I actually just remembered, like, last night. ^^;
-Tsubasa

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »
If the tourney happens on the 29th, count me out.  I've committed to something already a few months in advance. m(_ _)m  Any other weekend in March, I could do.
AHAH so you do have something planned.
I actually just remembered, like, last night. ^^;
Man you so China! It's cool, I'm glad you remembered it now instead of later. No excuses for everyone else now! March 22nd cool with everyone else?
thundering waterfalls

Offline Last Elixir⑨

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »
Yeah 22nd is cool, ALSO THIS UPCOMING SAT, MARCH 1ST, SESSION, SJSU, NO QUESTIONS CAPICHE?

I'll also try to make it out there tomorrow as well.

j
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:35:14 PM by LastElixir »
manbeard

Offline tenkai#

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2008, 12:43:33 PM »
Man you so China! It's cool, I'm glad you remembered it now instead of later. No excuses for everyone else now! March 22nd cool with everyone else?

Yeah, the 22nd should be fine for me as well. Hopefully none of my teachers dish out anything unexpected around that time.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »
I might be around for weekday sessions but I'll try to make Saturday sessions for sure. The end of the quarter is nearing and I have finals right before the tournament.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Chun (中)

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 14
  • Aozaki: Miss=Blue
    • View Profile
    • Plain Rice is Delicious
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
AHAH so you do have something planned. Maybe the 22nd then if that's okay with everyone?

If it's on the 22nd I won't make it. I have my last two finals that day. If you did something like Sunday the 23rd I could try taking an early train there, but otherwise I'm not present.

~Chun
Melty Blood
Main: Aoko
Secondary: Kohaku
How about those orbs? BlazBlue: Litchi Arcana Heart: Kamui (Bha/Pa), Mei-Fang (LaGo) CvS2: K- Mai, Morrigan, Nakoruru (2)

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
Well there's March 15. I like the 22nd and the 29th because I'd like to get in some weekend sessions with everyone beforehand and I like the idea of having a little breathing room before WTXI (not announced yet but Arlieth@WTX said April/Spring Break). Any one from Sacramento interested?
thundering waterfalls

Offline Last Elixir⑨

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
We can't be switching up the dates all day because we will end up never setting one. Let's set a date and stick with it. People can't plan ahead when we can't make up our minds. I say let's stick with the 22nd since yeah, we should have several casuals beforehand.

j
manbeard

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »
We can't be switching up the dates all day because we will end up never setting one. Let's set a date and stick with it. People can't plan ahead when we can't make up our minds. I say let's stick with the 22nd since yeah, we should have several casuals beforehand.

j
yeah I really like March 22 right now too. BTW I can't make it this Saturday... I pulled a David and forgot that my mom stuck something on my calendar for that day a month ago :V
thundering waterfalls

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
Maybe the 22nd then if that's okay with everyone?

I have no problem with this change.

And I'll probably be there @SJSU on Monday too. :3

Good! I was hoping you would be there as I really want to go over some things with you and have you teach me a few things.

Offline Chun (中)

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2008, 05:31:45 PM »
yeah I really like March 22 right now too. BTW I can't make it this Saturday... I pulled a David and forgot that my mom stuck something on my calendar for that day a month ago :V

Have fun guys.

~Chun
Melty Blood
How about those orbs? BlazBlue: Litchi Arcana Heart: Kamui (Bha/Pa), Mei-Fang (LaGo) CvS2: K- Mai, Morrigan, Nakoruru (2)

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2008, 05:59:17 PM »

Have fun guys.

~Chun
Sorry to put it on a date you can't come, but we'll still have weekend sessions available. If WTXI happens at all during Spring Break, I guess it'll be two weeks after our tournament on March 22nd.

Does anyone want to try having the team event afterwards again? If we have time, that could be fun. Hopefully I'll be able to stay for it this time >_> Did you guys put in money last time?

EDIT: I started a topic in the tourny section so we can move all discussion regarding the tourny over here
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:41:20 PM by Dakanya »
thundering waterfalls

Offline Chun (中)

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »
Sorry to put it on a date you can't come, but we'll still have weekend sessions available.

Horrible Irony www

You can't really call it 73cm cup though; it's not Akiha's Birthday that day, hahaha.

~Chun
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:10:42 PM by Chun »
Melty Blood

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »
Sorry to put it on a date you can't come, but we'll still have weekend sessions available.

Horrible Irony www

~Chun
Sorry man, I'm just running with some momentum we had at WTX. Just trying to take some initiative so stuff actually happens. Magz brought up a good point when we were planning the last tournament we had though and he reminded me again when I was all up for having multiple tournaments in a short span of time but then I realized he was right.

The casuals will be more helpful than the tourney in terms of gaining exp IMO.

Tournaments aren't everything and if you want to get better and have fun, just play more. Casual sessions and netplay are also a lot of fun. You don't really get to play as much at tournaments but the rush of adrenaline is exciting. West Toast being a 2 day event makes it much more enjoyable, actually being able to casual and all.

Sorry again about your finals on Saturdays (damn who has finals on a weekend), maybe you can convince us for a date change because right now I believe the 22nd is the perfect date.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:17:03 PM by Dakanya »
thundering waterfalls

Offline Chun (中)

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
Sorry man, I'm just running with some momentum we had at WTX. Just trying to take some initiative so stuff actually happens. Magz brought up a good point when we were planning the last tournament we had though and he reminded me again when I was all up for having multiple tournaments in a short span of time but then I realized he was right.

See, casuals are fun and all, but the last tourney I ever had was probably the SJSU arcade; I've been netplaying and playing people in person for casuals as is.

But like I said, I'm not hating. If you want to hold it on the 22nd, by all means go ahead. I'll just wait another ~two months when there's something accessible again (Aside from any casuals that week), because I'm sure as hell I'm never going to a West Toast during the normal school year (Lol quarter system).

~Chun
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:30:59 PM by Chun »
Melty Blood

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

See, casuals are fun and all, but the last tourney I ever had was probably the SJSU arcade; I've been netplaying and playing people in person for casuals as is.

But like I said, I'm not hating. If you want to hold it on the 22nd, by all means go ahead. I'll just wait another ~two months when there's something accessible again (Aside from any casuals that week), because I'm sure as hell I'm never going to a West Toast during the normal school year (Lol quarter system).

~Chun
Hey I make it to West Toasts all the time and I'm on the quarter system (but my classes are easier and you're at Davis). Sorry again and thanks for stepping up and being understanding about it. But another important thing about casuals... having live casuals against new people, different characters, and different playstyles is pretty damn fun.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Chun (中)

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »
But another important thing about casuals... having live casuals against new people, different characters, and different playstyles is pretty damn fun.

I'd love to play more in-person casuals, but like I said, the only scene up here is PoFV and IaMP. People just don't bother with Melty, it's 3S, CvS2, Tekken 5, and MvC2.

~Chun
Melty Blood

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »
But another important thing about casuals... having live casuals against new people, different characters, and different playstyles is pretty damn fun.

I'd love to play more in-person casuals, but like I said, the only scene up here is PoFV and IaMP. People just don't bother with Melty, it's 3S, CvS2, Tekken 5, and MvC2.

~Chun
People still play Tekken 5? Japan has been playing Tekken 6 for a while. Play any Accent Core up there? or AoSX? Senko no Ronde? EFZ?!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:22:01 PM by Dakanya »
thundering waterfalls

Offline Chun (中)

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »
People still play Tekken 5? Japan has been playing Tekken 6 for a while. Play any Accent Core up there? or AoSX? Senko no Ronde? EFZ?!

Most of the people say when Guilty Gear was here "No one played it, it's too hard to get in to". Accent Core no one takes seriously (My Flatmate has a copy), and EFZ I only play a couple times here and there with my group.

There's nothing doujin about this area. It's all your standard fighters + ID4; hell there's no KoF in sight anywhere around here either. Stubborn lot, this arcade community. They're hyping Tekken 6 and SF4.

~Chun
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:29:56 PM by Chun »
Melty Blood

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2008, 10:41:24 PM »
People still play T5DR, because T6 isn't even "complete" (although it's pretty close) and no American arcade will get their hands on a board, it's just way to fucking expensive. Anyways, if they're Capcom cocksucking people, just tell Arlieth plays MBAC, Wong plays GGAC, and Arturo plays Arcana. See how fast they'll like the game.
what the fuck is this game

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »
So anyone got articles about animu from the news? I need some sources for an assignment and some of the sources must be published offline like the New Yorker or the NY Times... (I'm looking at you Dev, I hope you got something)

I'm writing a research paper where I'm allowed to choose any topic my teacher approves of and finds interesting (which he did). I'm writing about the potential loss of quality when foreign media is imported, localized, and dubbed.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Chun (中)

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »
So anyone got articles about animu from the news? I need some sources for an assignment and some of the sources must be published offline like the New Yorker or the NY Times... (I'm looking at you Dev, I hope you got something)

I'm writing a research paper where I'm allowed to choose any topic my teacher approves of and finds interesting (which he did). I'm writing about the potential loss of quality when foreign media is imported, localized, and dubbed.

I dug up some material from the last page of one of my essays in 2005.

Barlow, Elaine. What is Anime Essay. 1 Oct. 1998. Robert's Anime Corner. 25 May 2005 <http://www.animecorner.com/opinions_whatisanime.htm>.

Clements, Jonathan, and Helen McCarthy. The Anime Encyclopedia: A
Guide to Japanese Animation. Berkeley: Stone Bridge P, 2001.
1-545.

Drazen, Patrick. Anime Explosion: The What? Why? and How! of
Japanese Animation. Berkeley: Stone Bridge P, 2003. 1-368.

Izawa, Eri. The New Stereotypes of Anime and Manga. EX. 20 May 2005 <http://www.ex.org/2.8/45-essay_stereotypes.html>.

Newman, Bruce. "Finding its voice in America." San Jose Mercury News 7 June 2005, sec. E: 1E+.
Poitras, Gilles. Online interview. 7 June 2005.

Sanchez, Frank. Anime University. 1997. AnimeInfo.org. 3 June 2005 <http://www.animeinfo.org/animeu.html>.

"The Coolest Thing Right Now." Ed. Emru Townsend. FramesPerSecond Magazine May 2005. 25 May 2005 <http://www.fpsmagazine.com/mag/fps200505lo.pdf#page=13>.

Save for the Online Interview (Which you can request by mailing Mr. Poitras at his website) and the books I listed, those that I've listed are good analytical websites about Japanese Animation in general. Perhaps you can use some of these sources to strengthen your arguments.

Quote from: Dev
By the way, you picked a shitty thesis to find reputable sources on as there are tons of offline anime related news out there, just none of it about exporting it overseas...

I kind of have to agree; you limited your scope pretty badly to the point where you're specializing in a very specific aspect of the genre (Personal gain in tastes and economic stress behind production). I would have just kept it to "Stereotypical views of foreign media", or something broader in that aspect.

~Chun
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:00:35 AM by Chun »
Melty Blood

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »
some of the sources must be published offline like the New Yorker or the NY Times... (I'm looking at you Dev, I hope you got something)

The hell you think I am? I don't read printed material!

For disreputable online sources though I have a million but I'll only give you a few to look through:

http://tinyurl.com/2dlc5z
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/1998-08-09
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2007-11-25

By the way, you picked a shitty thesis to find reputable sources on as there is a bunch of offline anime related news out there, just none of it about exporting it overseas...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:59:26 AM by Devereaux »

Offline Last Elixir⑨

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:22 AM »
stfu toast fags.

j
manbeard

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
Quote from: Dev
By the way, you picked a shitty thesis to find reputable sources on as there are tons of offline anime related news out there, just none of it about exporting it overseas...

I kind of have to agree; you limited your scope pretty badly to the point where you're specializing in a very specific aspect of the genre (Personal gain in tastes and economic stress behind production). I would have just kept it to "Stereotypical views of foreign media", or something broader in that aspect.

~Chun
The topics are supposed to be pretty specific but indeed it will be difficult to find reputable sources... thanks for sharing your references. I'll try consulting my teacher about his requirements on sources.
thundering waterfalls