When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Melty Vegas and Evo Thread  (Read 54001 times)

Offline MissedFRC

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Terror Alert OCTORINE
    • View Profile
Re: Melty Vegas and Evo Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »
Other than Litchi?

I don't find that matchup very difficult, personally. It's slightly in her favor (she's the only who isn't Bang that has favor on him). What do you have trouble with?
<Saya> fuck all of you
* Saya (~chatzilla@24.104.140.198) has left #mbaa

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Escaped a demon....recaught by a vampire....
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2010, 05:28:51 PM »
Hmm...

Personally, I think it's just me. I try jump ins only to get beat out by Ragna's 6A. I know a frontal assault from the air isn't a good way to go, so I try to attempt crossups. However, it looks like Ragna can punish those as well with his 6A. So the only thing I can think of is to somehow jump in on him when he doesn't expect it.

The Ragna player's offensive pressure game really gave me some trouble. I'm having a hard time when it comes to punishing Ragna's 214A (he's facing right). Even if he tries to do his extra attack I figure tsubame should beat it out. However, I think if he doesn't, all he has to do is his shoryu and that solves that problem. Occasionally, his 6b into 3c blockstring would trip me up every now and then but that's my fault. Also, if I successfully block his dead spike, is there any good counter for that? I don't think so...

I think my other problem is simply how to approach a real good Ragna player from the ground instead of the air. I'm worried that if I throw out one 5b carelessly, he's going to see it coming and then he'll IAD and then I'll suffer a combo. I try to use 6b every now and then to see if Ragna was gonna try to use his 5b or something on me for a counter hit attempt. Except when it fails, I'm normally wide open for a combo. So pretty much if there's some safe pokes out there that I don't know about I would like to know.

So I guess overall, my main problems are: 1. How to approach Ragna from the ground. 2. How to effectively counter some of his offensive assaults. 3. How to jump in on him (if at all).

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:32:23 PM by Prinny »
LIBERATION!

Offline Level 0

• Midboss
  • Jr. Spellcaster
  • Mash A!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
That was fun.  I gotta stop fighting with my face and start playing in a smarter manner, plus practice.  I can't believe how much I lost from not practicing for about two weeks. =_=

Macc, it was fun playing against your Roa.  Made me really work those 421 dashes just to get in, and was really effective in nullifying my newfound obsession with air movement.

Lolisauce - I hope that random 5[C] that failed was caught on video.  That was so hilarious and weird, I'd love to see it again just to confirm that it was my A-Armor that screwed it up.  Why does weird shit happen every time we lock horns?

I gotta keep practicing.  Got a long way to go before I can become a real boy Kouma.
I have much to learn.  Evidently I'm one of the few F-Kouma's in the west?  If I get good enough, maybe I can make people see why I like him.

Lolisauce: this is why I'm a loli's best friend
Lolisauce: I bring warmth and fuzziness Lolisauce: and occasionally penis

Offline Macc

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • I sparkle, like a vampire should.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »
^^It was good playing you as well.  I had put Kouma aside since I could not find any good ways to setup his command throw, but after playing you I will need to pick him back up and try some of the tricks I saw you using.  I really did not get a chance to practice a lot of MB during the week so my sheilding which is usually better was way off that day and I was getting punished for it.  At least I did better at BB, but I still missed a few clutch command throws that could have been game winners.

@ Prinny: Ragna in general now seems to have a lot more 'safe' situations especially on block.  I could be wrong, but from the play against Ragna in CS compared to CT I have had so far it feels this way.  From checking Dustloop, most people say that the Ragna/Litchi matchup plays the same in CS at it did in CT.  It seems that with air to air Ragna is gonna have a big advantage.  Although I did see some good advice to bait him from the air and then backdash to C.  The only other thing I could recommend is using some more zoning.  Not really great for direct dmg, but could be good for baiting him into situations you want and to distance him to eliviate some of that steady pressure Ragna can get when close.  Although since I am not a Litchi player I am not sure how effective these tactics would be.  I would look into Hazama as a counter pick alt since most are saying that effective use of ouroboros puts that match up into Hazama's favor.  Just save a burst or a DD for when he gets you in the corner.
"WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS"
William S. Sessions, Director, FBI

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips Macc. I'll go study dustloop some more after my break from fighters is over.

You know, that you mentioned Hazama, now that I thought about it for some time after the tourney ended, I should've went with Hazama at the finals. I already knew Ragna gave me trouble before at CT and I was learning other characters for just in case. That and his chain gimmicks and anti air super would've helped me out alot. Especially since I know how to combo afterwards...Once I've exposed him to some high level play and absorbed the knowledge from those matches, I should be more confident in busting him out instead of my main. (Looks like I'm gonna have to take some trips to UNLV...)
LIBERATION!

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »
http://www.meltybread.com/forums/tournaments-and-events/nigga%27s-garden-x-fatal-break-5on-evo/

Yo, Loli Leader. What's the battle plan for us regarding the MBAA World Team Tournament...?
LIBERATION!

Offline Macc

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »
I recommend you just strictly play Hazama for the next few times you go to UNLV.  As for this MB team tourney, do something with a mini qualifier tourney like they did for last year's SF4 regional team tourney.  Maybe hold one for NV in Vegas or run it as part of the MBAA action at this year's Devestation?

Offline MissedFRC

• Spellcaster
  • Terror Alert OCTORINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:40 AM »
Hmm...

Personally, I think it's just me. I try jump ins only to get beat out by Ragna's 6A. I know a frontal assault from the air isn't a good way to go, so I try to attempt crossups. However, it looks like Ragna can punish those as well with his 6A. So the only thing I can think of is to somehow jump in on him when he doesn't expect it.

The Ragna player's offensive pressure game really gave me some trouble. I'm having a hard time when it comes to punishing Ragna's 214A (he's facing right). Even if he tries to do his extra attack I figure tsubame should beat it out. However, I think if he doesn't, all he has to do is his shoryu and that solves that problem. Occasionally, his 6b into 3c blockstring would trip me up every now and then but that's my fault. Also, if I successfully block his dead spike, is there any good counter for that? I don't think so...

I think my other problem is simply how to approach a real good Ragna player from the ground instead of the air. I'm worried that if I throw out one 5b carelessly, he's going to see it coming and then he'll IAD and then I'll suffer a combo. I try to use 6b every now and then to see if Ragna was gonna try to use his 5b or something on me for a counter hit attempt. Except when it fails, I'm normally wide open for a combo. So pretty much if there's some safe pokes out there that I don't know about I would like to know.

So I guess overall, my main problems are: 1. How to approach Ragna from the ground. 2. How to effectively counter some of his offensive assaults. 3. How to jump in on him (if at all).

Alright, I play the Litchi vs. Ragna fight alot. Against our Ragna player (not Veteru!) and sometimes against Veteru.

You need to play this match really safe. Be really cautious with 2B and 6B because if you whiff he gets in for free. 5B is really safe to throw out, if Ragna IADs at you the move will actually tag him out of the air now.

5A will beat his 5B from range, but not his 5C. If you're worried he might try to outrange your 5B with it, just hit 5A a few times. You won't get anything off of it, but he'll think twice about hitting the button.

To deal with Hell's Fang, make sure you instant block the first hit. If you get the IB, 2A him. It'll beat anything he does. If you don't IB, just block, it's not safe enough to try to hit him out after that.

Try not to jump in on Ragna much. j.B might not work for cross-up if he does 6A because it enlarges Litchi's hitbox. If you're going to jump in, make use of double-jumping to throw off his timing or just fall and barrier. You can also kara-fastfall or use j.D or j.2D.

The rest of your problems just seem to be that you need to get more familiar with Ragna and to block his strings.
<Saya> fuck all of you

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
@MissedFRC: Thanks dood! :prinny:

I'll be sure to keep those tips in mind or play some online CT to commit those tips to memory. Unfortunately, I don't see the pro Ragna player too often or at all to practice against. I think a couple of members of the UNLV BB group play Ragna as a second, so I can ask them for some sparring matches. Regardless, I'll get those tips down so that I can do better at future tournaments. If you're planning to go to Devastation or EVO this year, I'll be there. Lemme know if you ever wanna meet up to chat or grab a beer. 

@Macc: This saturday that UNLV BB crew is gonna have setups at the library for some casuals. I'll be sure to play Hazama there to lvl up my skills. And if anyone there plays a good Ragna, I'll bust out Litchi to practice that advice from MissedFRC.
LIBERATION!

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2010, 11:57:28 PM »
http://www.meltybread.com/forums/tournaments-and-events/nigga%27s-garden-x-fatal-break-5on-evo/

Yo, Loli Leader. What's the battle plan for us regarding the MBAA World Team Tournament...?
Mmm, we might be able to pull out a solid team just vegas.  You, me, adonis, joenell, and...???  Paine would have to get a legit way to practice first, since his slim ps2 is one of the few rare ones that are incompatible with the memcard softmod.  =\  Vanguard or Sammy could be viable additions as well, if they step dat game up.

Well, I posted up saying we'd bring team vegas, so looks like we're committed now either way.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline MissedFRC

• Spellcaster
  • Terror Alert OCTORINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
Can't he use Swap Magic too?

@Prinny: I'll definitely be at EVO this year. I'd go to Devastation too but I don't have that kind of money.

I'm only 19 right now so I can't exactly grab a beer but I'd be down for hanging out and such  :toot: :toot:
<Saya> fuck all of you

Offline Macc

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »
Shit I got an extra fatty PS2 if Paine wants to borrow it for practice.

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
.....OK everyone, before we start talking further about this World Team Tourney. There are a few things that need to be said which is not meant to insult anyone, but to give everyone from both Vegas Melty and the Hakkenden an idea of what we're going up against.

1. Our crew is NOT solid. The tournament will be likely to ask for 5 to 7 members from each region to play. At present, we have four members
which consist of Loli, myself, Adonis, and Joenell who can be considered the strongest players in Vegas and play this game seriously.
The one who comes closest outside of the Vegas Melty Team would be Paine, Leader of the Hakkenden.

My point is that when it comes to the tournament, those who are going to play are going to be counted on to do their best. Regardless of how much experience the individual may have. Those who say that they wish to sign up for Team Vegas are (no foolin') must be serious about their training from now to EVO. This includes learning good BnBs, consistent improvement of play, and playing more than one character so that the rest of the team can be exposed to more characters. Many people from many different fighting game communities throughout the world are going to see what Team Vegas is made of. If you play the game for fun, that's great, enjoy it. However, if ANYONE is looking to be a member of Team Vegas, those who commit themselves must go all the way. Cause when it comes to EVO, it's going to be Team Vegas against the world.

2. We are also NOT solid in terms of our gameplay. We have learned good BnBs and how to keep offensive momentum after a combo which is good. For the most part, we have also learned of the tools that we have available regarding each of our mains and how to use them. However, All of us have plenty of flaws in our playstyle which can easily be exploited and turned against us. While all of us are learning and/or developing good offensive strategies for our mains, not enough time is spent on defense.

This is most prevalent when it comes to certain characters. We need to focus on good defense and countermeasures to such things as H-Ryougi's beastly blockstring, F-Maids' offensive lockdown, Mech Hisui's zoning game, S tier high level play, etc. Such things can be seen through youtube or streaming videos. All of us must study and analyze this material so that when we have to deal with it during the big tourney, we will not crumple under the pressure.

3. I know that as a crew, we should go in there with confidence to win and that we can stand up to the likes of Jiyuna, Xie, HF Blade, Zar, etc. However, the thing that we CAN NOT ignore is their level of play. We must first accept and respect the fact that they are beastly players. Then we must improve ourselves to surpass those levels. This will require watching videos of these players and observing how they work. From there, we can see how they approach or play keep away from the ground, air, etc. and incorporate it into our own style of play. If we become overconfident, and do not respect such players, they will give all of us a rude awakening.

Those who agree or disagree with anything I have said here, please let me know. Again, I would like to point out that this isn't a message meant for intimidation. This message is to address the level of play Team Vegas is going to face and the kind of preparation needed before that time. I DO NOT want Vegas to be known as simply as a place for holding EVO. I want our players to be recognized amongst the pros and all kinds of fighting gamers alike.

LIBERATION!

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »
Yeah, real talk Melty Vegas is pretty casual.  When I'm on Adonis and Joenell to practice, and I'm going over after work to play with them regularly, they step up their game.  Outside of that, they don't have much motivation to stay competitive on their own.  I also have trouble staying motivated to practice if I don't have someone I can bug to practice with, but because of my work hours, it's troublesome to get in daily play.  Relating to work hours, Adonis now has a job working basically the exact opposite hours I do, so we're basically never going to get to hang out at all cept for weekends.  Joenell actually will practice solo if you keep on him, but doesn't understand high level play enough to know what kinds of things he really needs to learn without someone to coach him.  Paine is pretty casual in general when it comes to most fighters, mostly due to playing so much that there's no real hard focus to get godlike in any one particular game.  Sammy has caught on quick to melty gameflow and seems like he could easily catch up to our level with regular play, but I haven't really had the chance to hang out with those guys much outside of random weekend things.  Everybody else is still new and isn't really committed to the game yet.

If anyone is seriously interested outside of John, and willing to put in the time and dedication to getting pro, just drop the word.  John and I will be down to do whatever we can to help step up anyone's game.

If we don't have enough solid interest though, we can always just have a qualifier with Desert Coast (AZ) or Socal to get the best of us in with the best of them.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
You're giving Vegas their own team (what have they even done? They don't even travel anywhere!) but you want Arizona to compete with space with Texas and OR/WA?

Fuck. That. I'm tempted to convince everyone in Arizona not enter out of protest. 

Arizona is no longer considered in the same region as us. We now have NorCal and SolCal who with the exception of a few, may not even talk to us. Anyway, to get to the point...this is for those who need to have a fire lit from within to start training.

We gonna show these folks what we're made of? 
LIBERATION!

Offline Emperor Paine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
I'm in.
Your right in me slacking in practice when it came to many fighters.
One way or another I either grew tired of the game or found many things getting in my way.
This has changed however for I really do want to learn Melty.
I have fun with the game and enjoy the rush from it.
If Macc would be so kind to lend me that slim that works then I'm on it.
My work schedule is pretty much the same. Mon-Fri mornings (with the exception of this week Fri working nights)
With Sat and Sun off. I am more then willing to take the time and effort needed to aid and rep Vegas.
Test me out on a reg basis to make sure I am on point.
I am always on youtube so saving & watching pro matches I got down.
Technically Melty is the only game on my focus right now for it is the only main game I'm signing up for @ EVO.

This is something very important to me. I haven't been this hyped for a game in a minute.
It sucked I didn't get any "real" practice before the tournament.
Probably would have did better.
Oh and trust me when I say, when I hunger for a game; its all I do.
That's how I got tops in kof 02 on xbox live.
Hell, I'd be playing the game now if I could. Stupid silver slim being gay.

But on real shit here, I'm game.
I will play the hell out of the game and before the teams are set test me to see if I'm ready.

Offline Macc

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »
Paine remind me the next time we hang out to bring you that PS2.  You already have all the cables right?

Man that regional setup is super confusing.  They can't decide who the hell to place in what region even if they live in that region.  Plus allowing same characters on the same team has always been disallowed in all team tournaments I ever played in.  Either way I don't think I would be up to snuff for the MB team stuff.  Not about to bring the team down with my play :bleh:, but any help you guys need with any practice sessions, gear, or tourney setups let me know.  Let me know when works for you guys in the future, thinking of running something on either the 4/24, 5/6, or 5/15 at GO.

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »
So what you're saying Macc, is that I can't place you even in your own state? Please elaborate for I am trying my best to split this up the best of my ability to where everyone is equal and satisfied.

I have been to tournaments with same characters, even if it is not the norm. I want to allow the best PLAYERS to be represented, not character diversity. Limiting one same character a team could possibly limit the overall strength in players. Examples would be Sp00ky/Nightroad from NY and Me/DivineArc from the South. They are solid players who represent each other and their state/region well so why should they not compete on the same team?
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »
I support not having a character limitation.  If this was just a normal team tourney, it'd be different, but since it's by region it should just be the best players with their best characters - no limitation.

And about the regions, we're still getting that worked out, since there are some places without enough people to make their own team.
---

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »
edit: Whoops, wrong thread  :emo:
digitalpugilist.com

Offline Macc

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
So what you're saying Macc, is that I can't place you even in your own state? Please elaborate for I am trying my best to split this up the best of my ability to where everyone is equal and satisfied.

I have been to tournaments with same characters, even if it is not the norm. I want to allow the best PLAYERS to be represented, not character diversity. Limiting one same character a team could possibly limit the overall strength in players. Examples would be Sp00ky/Nightroad from NY and Me/DivineArc from the South. They are solid players who represent each other and their state/region well so why should they not compete on the same team?

I was just reading the thread and it appearred that regions for certain people jumped around a lot, but I am sure that this is just because of you guys are trying to find the best way to match together enough players for teams.  I remember seeing a guy from Pittsburgh (my hometown) being considered midwest so I was like huh?  :D

As for the same character thing, I always saw this as a way to prevent teams from picking nothing but top teirs and as a way to promote the top players of a certain character.  Plus it introduces some variety and strategy into it.  I purely judging this off all past team tournies I have been in (ST, 3s, etc) where it was this way.  Either way that gives you the right to say for example you are the best Arc player on the east coast.  Not passing judgement or anything, but this is the first time for me seeing that sorta setup.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
Normally promoting character variety and preventing top tier picks is important in that sort of team tourney, but melty has like 30 characters each with 3 widely different styles and the tiers are pretty close.  Plus, because of the player base, there aren't really many top players who actually play same character (especially when you consider different moon styles as different chars), so even if the rule was in place, it wouldn't change too much. 
---

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »
http://www.meltybread.com/forums/tournaments-and-events/reviving-nor-cal-bringing-back-the-guilty-brood-(season-2-2610)/

OK fellas...

I figure we're gonna need to fight someone other than ourselves if we wanna improve. However, when I check out any nearby tourneys, they're all in EC. This is the only one I can find. 

It may be quite a stretch, especially since the month after is Devastation and EVO, but I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what everyone thinks about maybe hitting this one. If anything, just for kicks...
LIBERATION!

Offline Prinny

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
http://www.meltybread.com/forums/regional-community/az-welcome-to-desert-coast/875/

Hey, Loli Leader, a ranbat is gonna happen either the 1st or 8th of May right? I got a car, GPS, vacation time, AND money! Let's do this. Emperor Paine has also confirmed that he's game for this.
LIBERATION!

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
Yes, I'm good as well, but my car is still not trustworthy enough for the trip.  I'll have to ride with you.  I checked it out before, the trip is about the same distance as to Bell's place.  Also, I don't remember if I ever responded to your text or not, but I'm down for this weekend.  I have other plans too, but I think I can push that to just Sunday, and leave Sat for us to chill and game.

And for the norcal thing...I dunno if I'm up for that honestly.  It's like an 8 hour drive, man.  That's a pretty gruesome drive, and the gas money spent will be pretty hefty.
---