hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Possible MB:AA:CC location? Southtown Arcade/GameCenter Arcade in SF and SM  (Read 65397 times)

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

I am not really sure if this is the right place, but if it is not, I apologize in advance. I'm a longtime fan of Melty Blood and have come here to learn combos and such for playing this epic game. I come here now to get a good idea on what you guys think about a possible location for the latest iteration of the game in San Francisco in a new arcade called Southtown Arcade. It's located downtown and the staff are quite open to the idea of getting the game if they see a great following. Living in the Bay Area in Norcal, I can't find any place to play the game or have had as much progress with talking to the owner of an arcade as I have with this one. It's small, but it's a start and could be a great place in Norcal to get this game.

I really need a show of hands and vocal support of people down to go to this arcade to play this game if they get it. I'll link the thread to their main website, South Town Arcade, and they'll catch the feedback. This is a great opportunity and the place itself is close to public transit (I.E. BART). Let me know what you think. You should also contact GameCenter Arcade, a great place for people outside the city or live in San Mateo. We've been holding sessions there, the space is accommodating as well as the staff. Don't hesitate, send them your "We Want Melty!" at their website

For convenience, here is the address for Southtown Arcade and GameCenter as well as the best means of getting there:

Southtown Arcade
Hours of service: 3-9 MWF, 12-9 Sat, 12-7 Sun
Best means of public transportation: BART. Get off on Powell St. Station and walk to Stockton St. Walk up Stockton St. towards Chinatown. Will run into it before the Stockton Tunnel.

Game Center'
Hours of service: WED-SUN 3PM to 12AM
Most optimal means of public transit: Caltrain, 3 blocks walking distance

EDIT: In order to show we're a worthwhile community, we're starting gatherings/tutorial in the area at Southtown Arcade (sometime in July) and at Game Center in San Mateo. Please be sure to let me know if you'll attend. To play, we ask that you contribute $5, but new players will be able to learn for free. Any continued use of the PS2 after their first few games needs contribution. Remember, invite as many people as you know, even if they don't know about Melty Blood, and be as friendly and nice as possible! For convenience, the arcades address and directions will be listed.

=========================CURRENT SESSIONS===============================

Session 12 - Game Center: September 9th, 2011 ENDED
Time: Thursday 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM (subject to change)
Buy in: $5 per person

Attendees: 2 *= Waiting for confirmation
Tenouraku
Reiki

Session 13 - Southtown Arcade September 17th, 2011
Time: Sunday 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM (subject to change)
Best means of public transportation: BART. Get off on Powell St. Station and walk to Stockton St. Walk up Stockton St. towards Chinatown. Will run into it before the Stockton Tunnel.

Attendees: 0 *= Waiting for confirmation

=====================================================================

===========================Sessions Ended================================
Session 1 - Game Center ENDED: June 16th, 2011
Time: 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM (subject to change) - Extended to 1 AM

Attendees: ~14 *= Waiting for confirmation
Reiki +7 guests*
Tenouraku +4 guests
Riotblade
Nandeyanen
= 11 people

Feedback on session 1: First off, I'd like to thank everyone for coming out and enjoying the space! So our first session had 11 people show up.  The 4 guests that Tenouraku brought did not play and 5 of my 7 guests did not come. So in total, 9 people who we expected did not show up/play. We had 2 late newcomers. They did come later, but that was at 11 PM. We raised $55 dollars for the arcade. Some issues were organization with equipment like PS2s and lack of component cables that would lower the lag. We managed to run two set ups for most of the night.

For session 2, I will purchase a component cable and make sure that we get everything started on time if not earlier. I also will invest in getting flyers to put up in the arcades so we can get people we have no contact with interested in it. I am taking suggestions for days, but we'll likely do this every two weeks. Footage of station 1 will be up soon courtesy of Nyawu. I'd also appreciate any new feedback you guys have. I do know that we managed to encourage 3 more new people to consider coming back again.

Session 2 - Game Center CANCELLED June 30th
Time: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (subject to change)
Most optimal means of public transit: Caltrain, 1 block walking distance from the station

Attendees: 4  *= Waiting for confirmation
Reiki +3 Guest
Tenouraku
Riotblade

Session 3 - Southtown Arcade ENDED July 3rd
Ended - Time: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (subject to change)

Attendees: 5 *= Waiting for confirmation
Reiki + 2 guests*
lok

Session 6 - Game Center: July 28th, 2011

Attendees: 5 *= Waiting for confirmation
Tsubasa
eviloctopi
Tenouraku
Reiki
dakanya

Session 7 - Southtown Arcade July 31st
Time: Sunday 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM (subject to change)
Buy in: $5 per person (Free that day)

Attendees: 6 *= Waiting for confirmation
Reiki
lok
John
+3

Session 8 - Game Center: August 11th, 2011 ENDED

Tenouraku
Reiki

Session 9 - Southtown Arcade August 14th ENDED

Attendees: 12 *= Waiting for confirmation
Reiki
lok
Tone*
dakanya*
hobbes*
riotblade*
+6

Session 10 - Game Center: August 26th, 2011

Tenouraku
Reiki

Session 11 - Southtown Arcade August 28th, 2011

Attendees: 6 *= Waiting for confirmation
Tone
Reiki
Hobbes
Sahgren
Mir
TastyLumpia
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:36:28 AM by Reiki.Kito »

Offline mir

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Possible MB:AA:CC location? Southtown Arcade in SF
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
I'd probably go to said arcade if they have melty on a decent cab (as in not happ parts). Not like I have anything better to do on weekdays anyways =)
There's nothing to fear now.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
Been a bit, but I'll answer your question. Southtown Arcade's equipment is all japanese style using candy cabs. They're small and in incredibly good condition so those looking to play Melty Blood there will have a great experience.

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
NorCal will play MBAACC. They've been having monthly MBAA Tournaments at SJSU for over a year now. hype only died down cause there wasn't a way to play CC. i'm sure it would get played if it was around though.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:49:12 AM »
Been a bit, but I'll answer your question. Southtown Arcade's equipment is all japanese style using candy cabs. They're small and in incredibly good condition so those looking to play Melty Blood there will have a great experience.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE REIKI (its mizuki on s5source)
what the fuck is this game

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:02:26 AM »
Well, I'm a big fan of the Melty Blood series and I'm trying to get my local arcade to get Current Code. What they've said is they'll get the upgrade if they get the game so I'm really, really hoping they get the game. I need Bay Area people to contact them either on their facebook, twitter, or just their website to tell them they'd come to play Melty Blood.

Anyway, again, the name of the arcade is Southtown Arcade on 447 Stockton Street  in San Francisco. They're considering getting MB:AA:CC and it'll likely be 75 cents. Stop by or contact them at http://www.southtownarcade.com about getting Melty Blood there.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »
Sorry to double-post, but it's coming up to the do-or-die time. The arcade might reconsider with such little turn-out. I started a month or two ago with this push and nobody has sent them anything. All I am asking is that if you're a norcal player who wants Melty Blood at this arcade, all you have to do is the following:

1. Go to http://www.southtownarcade.com
2. Click the Contact Us page
3. Write "I am a serious Melty Blood player and I would like to see MB:AA:CC v. 1.05 at your arcade"

It's easy and that's all I really need! If you could do that, we'd all profit.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »
... you know 1.07 is coming out in July right?
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
No, I did not and that's an even greater reason to show your support. I can understand that people are pessimistic, but a local arcade having a dedicated MB cabinet means we'll get those future updates and there will be a place for tournaments, ranking battles, and the like. Again, these people have expressed interest, but all that needs to be done is writing a sentence to them on their website. You've got nothing to lose and Melty to gain.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
We aren't being pessimistic but rather realistic. Southtown is a business and buying a new game means taking a risk. Out of the arcade's best interests, we think Melty Blood wouldn't do well and have already advised Southtown a couple times that we don't think Norcal deserves it. Of course you can argue that this is the chance that Norcal deserves and that having a cabinet would be more exposure for the game and it is true that we have nothing to lose. However, we don't want to be held responsible for a business loss either.

We have been running monthly ranbats for Melty Blood in the South Bay and East Bay for over a year now. Unfortunately, the steam we had back from MBAC did not transfer over to MBAA. Most of our MBAC regulars have moved on and aren't going to come back. We used to have more than 16 people all the time and now we only get 8 at best. Sometimes we get less than 8 and we do a round robin.

I have never even seen you at a local tournament and I've probably been to every single local Melty Blood tournament for the past four years. Is it because you're in SF and the South Bay and East Bay are too far? If so, that's understandable. In fact, most of the what few players we have anyways do not have the time or money to consistently come show their support for Southtown. The most we could probably promise is making it out to a monthly ranbat which is unfortunately asking for another one of my weekends every month on top of NCI.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
I'm not afraid to hang a lantern on the problem. I know it's a niche game. Everyone does. I'm not saying it will outpace KoF XIII, SSFIV: AE in popularity, but it's a game we all play and enough enthusiasm could bring new players to play it. It's not a hard game to pick up for new players and frustrating at higher levels of gameplay like other games are. It's not a market loss if people are willing to play it. If you're not willing to play it; that's fine. You don't have to do it. I'm just asking people who want to play to take this opportunity to put a MBAACC cabinet in San Francisco.  I don't play in local tournaments because there are no local tournaments. The closest thing we had to a melty blood community in San Francisco was a friend's house and a club we started at SFSU. That's it. We managed to get 3-4 new people to join, but can't just play at home.

I know you're trying to be realistic. However, if all they want to know is that we're alive and want to play Melty and they're saying they'll commit to a space for the game, why not? They don't seem afraid of the risk so why not?

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »
I do think it would be neat if Southtown got MBAACC but the most we can vouch for is how much we love the game, not how well it would actually be able to do. Speaking for a couple of players in the South Bay and reiterating my point, I am simply stating that the support we could offer if Southtown were to purchase MBAACC could be minimal at best. We simply don't want to create a false impression and lead Southtown to believe that we will be able to fully support them.

No local tournaments? San Jose might not be local to you but it was honestly the hotspot for Melty Blood back in its heyday. On multiple occasions we had players coming from San Francisco and Sacramento. We also had regulars coming from Berkeley, Fairfield, and Stockton. We even had a big tournament in Berkeley once where players also traveled from Pacific Northwest and SoCal.

If you want to garner some real support, your best bet is probably to hit up everyone that was truly local. However it seems that some of the SF guys have moved on as well. I think if you guys could get more locals interested, it wouldn't be at a loss. Maybe you should put up a flyer in the arcade and see if anyone else is interested. I'll try talking to a couple of people I know and gauge some more interest.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
I'm doing as much as I can in San Francisco. I got to forums, I tap old friends for support, and I'm making some headway. So far, 18 people have contacted Southtown about Melty Blood. It's a good thing! We're making progress. If this is the extent of who we have as support, the most I can do is pull in new people and help organizing those that are interested. I appreciate you talking to anyone you can; it means a lot to me and I feel it's really going to help with your support.

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
After talking and thinking it over, I agree with dakanya. How much time does NorCal actually have in order for Southtown's investment to be worth it? Obviously, the decision is up to the owners, but, knowing the risk involved, you have to understand the state of the community. As much as we would all enjoy playing it, the scene may not be able to get behind it as much as we would like to. Commute + money + monthlies + lack of IRL time = uncertainty. Most probably wouldn't go more than bi-weekly or once a month. Coupled with the fact that the cost to play will most likely be .50+, you're going to have a hard time drawing the crowd from your spiffy new AE and XIII cabs. It's pretty much the same situation at FFA.The people who play CC there are the ones who wanted to play it in the first place. There isn't really overlap. Something to think about. This is coming from me, who would drive almost an hour in SoCal to play on an XIII cab. I did, in fact contact Southtown about MBAACC prior, but these are my most recent thoughts on the matter.

TL;DR Cool if it is. Cool if it isn't. Just don't have expectations.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 01:11:56 PM »
There's little anyone can do about anything concerning Melty Blood when there's no game. With a game, there's options for motivation like ranking battles, monthly tournaments, etc. It's hard to gauge a  something that doesn't exist, like participation for events that don't exist or participation for a game that's not there. With a machine and updates on the horizon, that means longevity and progress. I may be aggressively positive, but there's nothing to gain by staying silent.

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »
I applaud your enthusiasm, but there is a game (console MBAA) and there are events/monthlies for it (NCI). Like I said, most likely, no one here, is against having a CC cab at Southtown. Just putting out perspective, that's all. Plus, you said you were already able to get some kind of response from your end, so run with that for now. I already did my part, so I'm not sure what else you're expecting.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »
Forgive me if I'm a bit confused, but MBAA has some differences between MBAACC that might warrant it to be different from its console counterpart. Also, more personally, I'm in San Francisco and can't drive to other cities to make these greetings. As far as I know, San Jose is the closest city that has gatherings, but I'm fairly certain they do not have the latest version of this game. That solves a lot of problems I had in continuing my experience with Melty Blood which this fixes.

What do I expect? I expect that getting people motivated will motivate them to motivate other people. Simply put, I don't know many people (maybe by face, but not by name) from my gatherings in the past. I can only talk to them and ask them to talk to other people they know. In the mean time, I go to forums like SRK, Dustloop, and of course Melty Bread, to further spread the word and encourage people to get the game.

I am not asking you to do anything beyond saying you want the game. If you don't want the game, can't get to the game, or don't particularly care either way, I'm not going to be upset. That's your opinion and I'll respect that. If you would like to, of your own free will, do more to make this happen, just spread the word and get people who want the game, can/will get to the game, and care about building something for us at this arcade so that becomes a reality. That's all really.

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
AA and CC are different.

Just like you can't get out to SJ for meets, it's not exactly easy for other people to get out to SF. It's all perspective. That's the point I was making. Like I said. if you want to push for the game, then do that. No one is telling you not to. I already said that in the previous post. I even said i already talked to them about the game.

Whatever you think, and however much you want it, MB is a niche game in America. You're going at it like it's SF or BB, in terms of scene. As much as most of us here would like it to be that way, it's not. Regardless, good luck.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »
I understand and sincerely appreciate you doing that. I know it's far away in your perspective, I realize that, and I'm sorry if I made myself to look like I am unaware or uncaring of the issue. That's not the case.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
Come move to NYC and we'll happily make love to the machine.

<3
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
Come move to NYC and we'll happily make love to the machine.

<3

but EC already has a Snapple machine :V

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
Actually those aren't there anymore.

:P
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »

:gonk:

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »

:gonk:

That face is classic. The arcade we're talking about is a start-up, just opened recently. If they get bigger, I'm sure they'll expand. Sorry to hear about the Chinatown arcade in NYC. Did you go there?

Offline Tone

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • ain't no god in the sky, it's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Personally, I think the potential of an updated version in an accessable location is kinda being slept on, here, especially when potential players tend to ask me if the ps2 AA port is up to date. But that's just my two cents.
da  only mb player in north bay, get hype!