When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Possible MB:AA:CC location? Southtown Arcade/GameCenter Arcade in SF and SM  (Read 65442 times)

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Possible MB:AA:CC location? Southtown Arcade in SF
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »
Well AA is a very playable game and is much more interesting than MBAC. But anyways, it seems that Southtown is aware of the risk they are taking and are waiting to see if more people will pledge their support first.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 09:42:18 AM »
Even a niche game is interesting enough to get a fanbase going. AA is still a playable game, you're right. I think if AA is used to garner interest, we could get some New Blood flowing in the game. It's a steep curve, but it's still fun nonetheless and not as frustrating as say KoF or Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

I'll talk to the arcade team and see if they would be willing to use a PS2 version of AA using a projector on off days. If it comes with a cost, I'll pay it. That way, people will see what we're doing and ask about the game.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »
Sorry to double-post, but it's coming up to the do-or-die time. The arcade might reconsider with such little turn-out. I started a month or two ago with this push and nobody has sent them anything. All I am asking is that if you're a norcal player who wants Melty Blood at this arcade, all you have to do is the following:

1. Go to http://www.southtownarcade.com
2. Click the Contact Us page
3. Write "I am a serious Melty Blood player and I would like to see MB:AA:CC v. 1.05 at your arcade"

It's easy and that's all I really need! If you could do that, we'd all profit.
quoted again since any support that has been gathered won't be noticed unless everyone contacts southtown directly
you can also reach them via twitter @southtownarcade or on facebook
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:51:21 PM by dakanya »
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
Progress is being made. However, I feel it's necessary to get new people interested in the game. Anybody that has the time or is in the area, we should brainstorm a way to get Melty Blood some face time even without a cabinet. It's not just the game being niche; it's that Melty Blood community in the eyes of others is flaky and not dependable. We've got a bad rep. Even southtown owners say it's likely if we get 30, only 15 would show for events or weekend plays. This is the PERFECT opportunity to show them all we're not full of BS.

Soooo, anyone in for the brainstorm or down to just be there?

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »
I'll talk to the arcade team and see if they would be willing to use a PS2 version of AA using a projector on off days. If it comes with a cost, I'll pay it. That way, people will see what we're doing and ask about the game.

^ Why don't you just do this?

Let people have some free play on the game on weekends or something. Give people who play the main games like AE or whatever play it on their downtime while waiting for their turn. Although, you would have to talk to the owner, considering you're taking away customers from spending money in other cabs. At the least, you'll probably have to rent out space, unless you're really cool with the owner.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »
I intend to try it; I just want a back-up plan or three to try. Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
I talked to Southtown last night and it seems like they've only gotten a total of 12 supporters so far. Maybe with the ones that haven't talked to Southtown yet we might be at like 15 or 16. However this is a rather underwhelming number as I was kind of expecting more. We've also got a negative reputation against us (see Southtown Facebook page) which may honestly deter what potential players you could have gotten. It seems like you hella wanna get the game but the odds are rather stacked against you.

Anyways if we want to have like a Melty session at Southtown or something, the only weekend I might be free would be this weekend and I don't know if I can keep my June 25th weekend open. Don't count on me to help out in the flesh I guess but we'll see.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
It's not the game that the people speaking against us dislike, it's the people who support the game, us. Changing the perception of us is the #1 priority if we want to get people to take us seriously. I'll get things organized in the next two or so days. It'd be great to exchange contact information so we can get this working.

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
I intend to try it; I just want a back-up plan or three to try. Any other ideas are more than welcome.

You could hold a local ranbat for console MBAA somewhere other than the arcade, and ask the arcade owners to help you advertise by allowing you to put up some kind of flyer. You don't have to limit yourself to grabbing the attention of only the people who go to SouthTown.

Anyway, I'll probably head to ST sometime in the next 2 weeks for XIII, so we could probably talk then or something.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
Personally I think we should have it at Southtown if we want to get more exposure. Also I just realized that I'm already busy for the weekend of June 25 and I have a lot of homework to get done in advance this weekend because I'm going out of town next weekend and I have a major paper due the day I get back :|
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
Well, what we'd need is a JP PS2, a copy of MBAA, and a projector/visual aide to do this. I've been discussing it with a few of my friends and we feel if we do do a public session, we need to make it attractive for the arcade. Offering a fee per person to use the PS2 so we can use the space would be an ideal incentive for us advertising it.

Specifically for recruiting purposes, I feel we need to eat humble pie. We need to be the most contrite group of people they ever did see and help out newbies in the game. Friendly and casual (for now) is the order of the day. Anything we can get going to get more New Blood is great.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
Why a projector? Would a projector lag by the way? Also not charging anyone new who wants to jump in and try the game would be more attractive so we should probably figure something out there.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
Well, we can offer a group fee to them and we all pay. 5 to 7 dollars a person would be good so Southtown doesn't feel like we're dragging people away from games they could be playing. I like 5 because it's affordable. If we get a group of 6, that's a 30 dollar profit at the least for them. I'm thinking off days like Sunday would be good because it's a slow (and short) day for the arcade. Aside from ranking battles, we could do it earlier or later in the day depending.

A friend of mine also asked why we need a projector when a laptop works fine. My issue is this. We want people to see what we're doing. All we'd be is a bunch of men huddled around a screen like hermits worshiping an idol. We want it to be open for everyone to see. So a display that is visible to everyone is very important. That's what will be the most attractive.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
My question of whether or not a projector lags still stands lol. I was thinking maybe a TV/monitor on some sort of stand... did you just say laptop????
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »
That was someone else's suggestion (@laptop). The problem is lugging a TV or monitor and where to put it. It's not exactly the easiest place to maneuver in. Pretty sure the display is the same as a TV so lag's not that huge a deal. A friend of mine uses a projector instead of a TV, works just fine.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and if push comes to shove, a TV would be good. What we really need to do in the mean time is shore up that 12. I honestly thought he said 15 initially and three more sent in requests to get that 18. Either way it goes, we need to make some progress in getting players interested and showing we're not flaky.

That comes to my next idea. I'm organizing everyone I know to just go there at the same time to make a public action out of it. We'll visually show them we're "All Hands on Deck".

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »
I don't think the all hands on deck is a great or at least, necessary idea. You made this point earlier and it is how I feel about most players in the community. Can't get everyone to be serious enough about it.

Even southtown owners say it's likely if we get 30, only 15 would show for events or weekend plays. This is the PERFECT opportunity to show them all we're not full of BS.

Soooo, anyone in for the brainstorm or down to just be there?

Some flat screen monitors are really playable but you need the necessary resources. I want to get a Dell UltraSharp 1707fp myself for my ps2
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:16:35 PM by dakanya »
thundering waterfalls

Offline Tsubasa☆

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 12
  • 2πr(θ/360)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
I'll try to make it out if this exhibition session happens.  Schedule permitting.

I have my doubts about projectors, but I guess it's not that much to lug around, so it's possible to give it a shot.  Flat screen monitors are probably the best bet cause a big CRT would be too hard to do.  I have a 24" which works great for SD games.  Seems lagless to me.  Unfortunately, all SD video looks terrible on it.  In MBAA, the pixels are hella pronounced.
-Tsubasa

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
Well, we're not in the hole with a visual display.  Southtown has said they will get a projector in the future, but they are willing to lend us a TV for ourur gatherings.. This means all the necessary bits to this plan are done aside from picking the day and getting a list going.

I also was discussing amongst some friends and they expressed some dissent on giving newbies unlimited free games.. That's hard to keep track of who is new and some may abuse it. For five dollars, you get unlimited use of the PS2 all day, that shouldn't be too hard.

Speaking of which, we're also considering doing the same kind of thing at Game Center, a new arcade that opened in San Mateo. They have TVs set-up that are like karaoke, pay per hour for their use and bring whatever you want to play on it. What I want to do now is get some ideas on days (many are saying Sunday), but we can't figure out what to do for the Southtown Melty Blood gathering until we know what days we can have the space without obstructing any events (Like ranking battles). That's in two weeks, enough time to get more hype and brain storm.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »
Sunday is kind of bad for most people but I'm out of school soon I guess. If they're only like a first-time newbie, I would give them a couple of free games. If they want to keep learning then they should pay.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Tsubasa☆

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 12
  • 2πr(θ/360)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 06:44:38 AM »
I would prefer not Sunday, but I can probably do it with enough notice.

I also was discussing amongst some friends and they expressed some dissent on giving newbies unlimited free games.. That's hard to keep track of who is new and some may abuse it.

I think it's pretty obvious who's new and who's not.  Just gauge by how they play & how much they know.
-Tsubasa

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
I'll continue to talk to Southtown Arcade about possible days and others. It has to be a weekend for a majority of the San Francisco Melty Blood crew; I'd assume you all have work on weekdays too. That leaves saturday and we're looking at SSFIV Ranking Battles on that day. That'll probably be a huge turn out; I don't know about saturday.

Anyway, I'll keep plugging away at it. In the mean time, we now have the Game Center in San Mateo. With a crew already in the San Mateo county that we can count on, we have the opportunity to run gatherings there. The owner has also expressed interest. There's no ranking battles, all we have to do is reserve the T.V. and that's seven dollars an hour. San Jose people might find that a little more convenient than driving all the way to San Francisco, but if you can make it, come to the Southtown Tutorial too.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
A crew? like you already have a crew of players in San Mateo? wat
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »
Yea, there's a set of players that play Melty Blood already, headed up by a friend of mine. I've been really busy. Anyway, just need to know what day is good and who is going to actually make it to show some support.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
all these players everywhere yet we only have so few requests for Melty at Southtown...

well unfortunately I'm pretty busy until June 21st. I will be busy the next two following weekends as well.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
Well, in all honesty, I've had to hound the people I know to send requests. When I mean hound, I mean literally call them every day and see if they did it. There are a few I don't know personally so I can't just up and ask them. The first and foremost thing we should do is get people active everywhere. With the group in San Mateo, the group I'm starting here, we've got enough people to atleast run these gatherings and tutorial sessions while also looking formidable as a customer base.