When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Possible MB:AA:CC location? Southtown Arcade/GameCenter Arcade in SF and SM  (Read 65452 times)

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Possible MB:AA:CC location? Southtown Arcade in SF
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »
ohhhh ok. that is more incentive for me to show up then =)
thundering waterfalls

Offline breadbread

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
Might show up if I can bum a ride off of Riotblade.

Get on AIM you bum.  I'm planning to go there earlier and play around until Melty.

10 cents SFA3? Fuck yeah.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:33:54 PM by Riotblade »
All stoic girls are so cool.  All except those who can see magical lines and cracks because they're high.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »
Okay, I edited the main page. If you know anybody who is even remotely interested in learning a new fighting game, get'em to come. We want this to be big and welcoming; nothing is more welcoming than having more friends.

Well, pretty sure we've hit 15 people now, but just keep'em coming. If it gets past 20, I'm taking pictures as proof.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
posting on SRK might be a good idea if you want even more people but you should really get more setups... i know for a fact that riotblade and nandeyanen have ps2s although idk if they have legit copies of melty blood
thundering waterfalls

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
So playing MBAA to warm up for MBAACC?

Or is the title just confusing?

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
To summarize the situation, at first we wanted to get support from people in Melty Bread to get the latest Melty Blood version in the arcade. However, negative perceptions of the community, negative feedback from multiple people about Melty Blood, and more has slowed that effort down. Southtown sees this as a great effort, but needs more people to sign-up. I talked to atleast 15 people and only 12-15 people are confirmed to have asked for Melty Blood. That's when we decided to step up our commitment.

In order to prove that Melty Blood players are not introverts, non-participatory, and unfriendly folks, we're starting these tutorial gatherings. We want to encourage anyone who ever wanted to play Melty Blood, anyone who has never played the game, to try it out and play a bit. This is a meet-and-greet too, allowing people who did play Melty Blood for some time to meet new people. It's also a joint effort to show arcades we're not cheapskates with the 5 dollar buy-in, we're willing to go to events/tournaments and contribute. We need compelling proof that we need the game here and this is the best way how.

Offline breadbread

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »
So is it still set at 7?
All stoic girls are so cool.  All except those who can see magical lines and cracks because they're high.

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:17 PM »
Yea, I'll be there at six so we can get started as soon as we get enough people there. The arcade is providing sticks and if you bring another copy of the game, we can get another set-up going.

EDIT: Leaving now, see ya' all there!

EDIT 2: Modified the front page. Thanks for everyone that came! We'll start Southtown Arcade sessions in July and need a PS2 and a copy of the game. A CRT TV is not provided so if you want to bring one too, that'd be great! It will likely be the 3rd of July, but that might change.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:03:35 AM by Reiki.Kito »

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »
Updating the front page. Next session will be the 30th of June at GameCenter and the 3rd of July at Southtown. Make either one if you can! >< And again, sorry for the double-post!

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »
Well, let me know how things go at the next session. Sad to say, it's not really worth it to drive about an hour away with the turnout that happened on Thursday. (Although it was nice to see Sarsapari alive and well :toot:). Not being condescending or anything, but without a job, it's not very cost effective for me to be running back and forth at that distance when I have more than competent competition like 15 minutes away, once a week/month. I'll probably be at SouthTown though, for other things, if not Melty.

That said, good luck. Making a Melty movement happen at this point is going to be quite a task, that many, long before you, have attempted (pre-EVO, of course).

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
I understand the disappointment. I was thoroughly upset that there were people that didn't bother to show up, and those that did did not bother to play. I know the first time was not up to snuff. However, I'll say this. We managed to get 11 people to show up and we video-taped the whole thing. When we were only expecting 8 out of 15 people show up, 11/19 people showed up. 19 people said they would go. If we increase the consistency of the participants, give notice, and use fliers, we'll get a higher turnout just from the people who are at the arcade.

We did great for just using word of mouth and there's plenty to work on. In terms of play ability, I am sorry there weren't more people who played that were at a high level. I haven't touched the game since Oscar's meetings ended, but I am practicing every day to improve. That's not the point though. We want to not scare people and we want to encourage them to play with us. That's the point of promoting like this. I can almost guarantee a majority of the people who will come to future gatherings will know a little or have no knowledge of how to play Melty Blood. We're trying to teach them and encourage them to play. I do appreciate you coming the first time; hope you will find the time to do it again.

That being said, if you have some ideas where I can improve, just let me know and I'll do it.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
Please fucking move to the East Coast, your devotion and determination would fit right in here.

I'm halfway upset reading this thread, but fuck it keep doing your thing and don't let a fucking soul stop you.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »
Of course, pulling new people in, you obviously expect newcomers (thought it seemed like, for the most part, the people who were there and some semblance of knowledge about gameplay mechanics). One thing, I should point out (and remember, this is not meant to be insulting), is that you should be a bit more approachable. I came up to you purposely not introducing myself to see how you would react. I actually talked a bit more than you did (granted, I talk more than most people lol). You didn't ask who I was, nor did you introduce yourself. The bad part about that is, how does that look to a newcomer? It makes them feel less comfortable, less invited. I walked in as if you expected me to know what was going on. Near the end of the night, when randoms came to see what was going on, I felt like they had to ask you "Oh hey, what's going on over here?" before you acknowledged them. Not like they played or participated or anything, but it would have been more encouraging if you said something like "Hey guys, we've got some setups for a fighting game called Melty Blood. You're welcome to join in and ask questions if you'd like." I mean, if you want to have the role of promoting the scene, you have to be willing to play the part. It's possible that you were just down from the disappointment of the showing (which you expressed), but you gotta keep up that enthusiasm if you really want to carry this thing. You can be in touch with as many people as you want, but you have to keep people hype if it's your scene. Scenes don't last if people don't care.

It was, however, the first session, so it can always be improved on. Just move on and make the best of the next one.

EDIT:

Please fucking move to the East Coast, your devotion and determination would fit right in here.

I'm halfway upset reading this thread, but fuck it keep doing your thing and don't let a fucking soul stop you.

What in this thread makes you mad, Chibi? I think it's just people being realistic. Even James knows that the NorCal scene has seen ups and downs to near nonexistence. Even so, people are giving him their thoughts on the matter instead of leaving him out to dry. I came late to his session and still paid to support both the arcade and his endeavor. There are people in NorCal, even just WC in general who do love Melty. We just understand the state that things are in and are letting him know what he's up against. I personally hope he succeeds, but a "You-can-do-it" attitude just doesn't cut it in a Capcom infested world. Better to give him feedback he can use for future planning than not say anything (at least that's my goal in posting in this thread). If I didn't think it was worth my time, I wouldn't have posted to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:07:51 PM by FataCon »

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »
Well I wouldn't have told him not to really bother, but then that's always been my attitude. If we ever followed that line of thinking Melty would have died 7 years ago and we wouldn't have a scene on the EC period. At all. Congrats on being 'realistic' but you say that like you're an outsider and not part of the community. I mean I understand why you're saying it but again I do things way differently.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
I agree, you're right. I need to be more approachable. I was thrown off tilt and I can't let that happen. I also have to be all around asking everyone who stops by if they want to play. I'm sorry I wasn't perky that day, but I will do my best to do better in that department.

F9 Chibi, thank you. You made me 100 times happier knowing you're behind me on my effort.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:35:15 PM by Reiki.Kito »

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »
That's understandable. We just have differing opinions of the matter. Well, Reiki kinda separated himself to begin with. It seemed as if he didn't acknowledge the players NorCal already has. There are monthly tournaments going on for MBAA (and have been for quite some time now). I understand his aim is to get a CC cab, which is great, but his initial statements were basically "Oh, you guys play over there, I want something here." Instead of integrating with an already existing community of players who have been proven to travel to various places for MB, it sounded like he wanted to do his own thing. That's fine, and I'm not knocking him for that, I just treated it as such.

Plus, you can't really use the train of thought "It wouldn't have happened if we thought like that back then." Back then, there wasn't a scene to begin with. No one to tell you how things worked in the past or what could be done. It's great that you guys have built it to what it is today in America and I respect that, but that was a different time, a different game (AC?). At this stage, you've had the EC movement, the WC movement, the EVO movement, (can you even say that Canada had a movement? lol). We've seen it evolve over time. Some areas still have scenes, some no longer do. All I'm saying is games have lifespans, and so do their scenes. How is the steam in the MB community? You'd have to be ignorant or blind to say that it's still at EVO/pre-EVO levels. There's no harm in analyzing where it's at now.

I'll even requote one of my initial posts in the thread:

"Like I said. if you want to push for the game, then do that. No one is telling you not to."

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
It's not that I don't think integration with an existing community is bad, but that's not going to make an arcade get MBAACC if we just go to people's houses and play in tournaments run by the host. I am not excluding you or anyone, but I'm not trying to run gatherings to just enjoy the game and play with friends. I'm doing so to encourage a business to get the game. Integration is good if I just want to play the game; it's not going to move the agenda forward though.

Also, is there anyone in SJ who is considering getting 1.05/.06/ or .07? That opportunity is here and the way I figure is if we continue to do this, the revenue generated from it would atleast be a down payment for the board. 10 sessions of the same calibur is 500 dollars and the board is 1.5k Even if we're a small community, that kind of profit is hard to ignore.

Offline Tone

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • ain't no god in the sky, it's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »
are you ever going to do one of these on a friday or saturday so i can show up  :'(

weekday gatherings are what killed everything for me to begin with when people were still hosting melty sessions in norcal
da  only mb player in north bay, get hype!

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »
I figured Sunday would be a good day for you, Tone! I can try to do Saturdays, but it's hard to see how that pans out with the ranking battles at Southtown. I'll see though. Do you think sunday is okay though?

Offline Tsubasa☆

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 12
  • 2πr(θ/360)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2011, 06:28:57 AM »
I'll definitely make it out to a gathering sometime.  My schedule gets kinda busy though, so no guarantees on when.

It's not that I don't think integration with an existing community is bad, but that's not going to make an arcade get MBAACC if we just go to people's houses and play in tournaments run by the host. I am not excluding you or anyone, but I'm not trying to run gatherings to just enjoy the game and play with friends. I'm doing so to encourage a business to get the game. Integration is good if I just want to play the game; it's not going to move the agenda forward though.

Just wanted to say that we don't run any tourneys in Norcal at people's houses.  NCI has been an ongoing ranbat series for MBAA PS2 that we've been running for over a year at reasonably legit venues like SJSU & DeVry.  I'm sure decent turnout for the most regular MB event in Norcal can help a bit in persuading these arcades in getting MBAACC 1.0x.  Unfortunately, the entrants have been declining and/or stagnating for the last few months.
-Tsubasa

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »
Thanks again for your support. If the offer for an upgraded machine were elsewhere, I'd take it. However, it's here and support here is what I really need. I wouldn't mind supporting NCI, gathering a group to attend once a month once we improve. Could do so as soon as July. Making the trip to San Jose every week I just can't do right now. I can commit to a monthly basis for sure. However, I really need to gather support and ground for Melty Blood or that window is going to disappear. If you can encourage people in your area to say something to them, come out, and just show we're a real community, I'd appreciate that immensely.

Offline Tone

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • ain't no god in the sky, it's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
the only reason im against sunday is that its still kind of a stricter schedule for me cause i gotta work the next day

something goes on during a friday or saturday idgaf about time and all
da  only mb player in north bay, get hype!

Offline Reiki.Kito

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/GirIsGeneration/Reikiposter1.png

Got some help with the flyer. Feedback is much appreciated.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
I'm not a designer but here's what I think about the poster...

the BLOOD portion specifically the O and the Ds need to be more distinguished frmo each other

Aoko and Akiha aren't the same person but in this poster they could be mistaken as such and the lack of contrast there isn't good and doesn't help

I'd take out Tohno with glasses, possibly take out Aoko or use another picture, other key characters you may want to use would be Ciel, Sion, Warakia, White Len...

"Melty Blood is Back" ?? Really? I don't know I think this message is rather misleading.

the block of text at the bottom is really tl;dr and is a little difficult to read

be short and succinct, more to the point

you may want to tinyurl a thread on meltybread as well

i think a poster could be a good idea but this poster honestly needs a lot of work
thundering waterfalls

Offline breadbread

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
The Akiha is horrible upscaled quarity and should really be removed / placed elsewhere for the reason Dakanya mentioned.

The font looks a little odd and is hard to read being put in center over there.  Off topic: That font makes me think of those weird blood pouch energy drinks for some reason.

The text on the bottom could use a background to help contrast it for better reading.  Also, I don't know if it's intentional or not but the sentences are all over the place.  Missing punctuation, bad formatting etc etc

Can probably do without Nanaya too.
 :laffo: