When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Texas community? lawl, wut?  (Read 137245 times)

Offline DrgnAK

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Texas community? lawl, wut?
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:58 AM »
They hosted zero events, or if they did, no one knew about them, and they did not bother to promote them. I guarantee that we in DFW would have driven down every time (with in reason) if we knew an event was going on for melty. There was absolutely no reason for CC to get sold if the locals hosted events for it. I can only conclude that Austin has no scene. If they did, I might direct you to them, as they are like 2 or 3 hours away from you.
I vaguely remember a couple of events at UFO that were supposed to have Melty on the side (before CC was sold off) along with the mainstream games, but Melty was canceled each time because of attendance.  I told pfhor about one of them once on IRC and he seemed surprised that there was going to be Melty at some UFO event.  I only saw that they were having Melty there from the SRK thread, which is pretty silly.  Have a Melty tourney and forget to tell Melty players to show up.

Edit: Scanned the event forum and didn't even see any UFO threads, lol.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:49:16 AM by DrgnAK »

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 41
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
DrgnAK: Just curious, do you play Melty, and do you still live in Arlington? Do you know anyone else who plays in your area? Have I met you before, and just can't remember? I am very bad with names.
Scanned the event forum and didn't even see any UFO threads, lol.
Here or on SRK? I recently looked through some of the old SRK events in Texas just to see what events were out there. I'm shamefully ignorant of the larger Texas community.
I didn't see anything from UFO either, though I did see some more recent events listed for them. I might have missed them though, there are so many events to go through.

-TexasTim-

Offline Skwuck

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
    • A New World Order
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
I vaguely remember a couple of events at UFO that were supposed to have Melty on the side (before CC was sold off) along with the mainstream games, but Melty was canceled each time because of attendance.  I told pfhor about one of them once on IRC and he seemed surprised that there was going to be Melty at some UFO event.  I only saw that they were having Melty there from the SRK thread, which is pretty silly.  Have a Melty tourney and forget to tell Melty players to show up.

Edit: Scanned the event forum and didn't even see any UFO threads, lol.

I remember there being two events that were supposed to have melty (I know I attended at least one anyways..). Each time I went, the "signups" for it started later than expected, and when they did happen, like you said, it was cancelled due to poor attendance. At one of those, I remember there being melty players I hadn't seen before, though I never got their names. But by the time melty was ready, they had already left. And when there was going to be one, I think all that was given as a light mention in this thread.
Current Main: H-Sion
Alt: H-Kohaku
Planning on switching to H/C-Kohaku soon.

Offline DrgnAK

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
DrgnAK: Just curious, do you play Melty, and do you still live in Arlington? Do you know anyone else who plays in your area?
I just started learning Melty somewhat seriously and I still live in Arlington.  I have a friend who plays mainly SSFIVAE that I sometimes play Melty with, and I also play with a couple of super casual friends at UTA every Tuesday/Thursday.  If anybody goes to UTA, PM me and I'll give info on where to meet up for some games.
Have I met you before, and just can't remember? I am very bad with names.
We might have met before if you went to the Bar Fights when they had Arcana.  My friend and I messed around on the Melty setup that was in the corner when nobody else was on it for a couple of minutes until my friend had to play a game.  The only person I tried to talk to there that played Melty was pfhor, though.  Otherwise, probably not.
Here or on SRK? I recently looked through some of the old SRK events in Texas just to see what events were out there. I'm shamefully ignorant of the larger Texas community.
I didn't see anything from UFO either, though I did see some more recent events listed for them. I might have missed them though, there are so many events to go through.
On here.  I saw a thread for AUFO with Melty and Arcana listed back in May, and was considering going for Arcana and SSFIV.  I was surprised nothing was posted here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:16:41 AM by DrgnAK »

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2011, 11:08:26 PM »
I just started learning Melty somewhat seriously and I still live in Arlington.  I have a friend who plays mainly SSFIVAE that I sometimes play Melty with, and I also play with a couple of super casual friends at UTA every Tuesday/Thursday.  If anybody goes to UTA, PM me and I'll give info on where to meet up for some games.
Well, if you want to play more, we play in Denton every weekend. Looking like it'll be on Sundays @ about 3pm (due to ppl working on Saturdays). If you can make it up here you are welcome to come. Also, QPunch lives in Bedford just north of the 121/183 split. You might try and at least hook up with him if you can't make it up here.
We might have met before if you went to the Bar Fights when they had Arcana.  My friend and I messed around on the Melty setup that was in the corner when nobody else was on it for a couple of minutes until my friend had to play a game.  The only person I tried to talk to there that played Melty was pfhor, though.  Otherwise, probably not.
Lol, yeah that was our set-up. I saw you guys playing, but did not get to talk to you. We might bring melty to the next bar fights.

Offline DrgnAK

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
I'll see about coming up to Denton some time, but I don't see myself making the trip very often since it's an hour drive and on a Sunday.

Offline Synyster Spirit

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Synyster's Harmonious Spot
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »
I'll see about coming up to Denton some time, but I don't see myself making the trip very often since it's an hour drive and on a Sunday.

Some of us got together and played Friday night, but I'm not certain if that will be a regular thing.

Offline Qpunch

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • QQQQETHBETHGNRDAW%R
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
Whoa this place is slightly still living.

@DrgnArk

I suppose I could play you at some point, but it would probably only be the 2 of us since I don't know of anybody else around that plays melty.
C Aoko, C Wara, C Sacchin

Offline Denthorn

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
Next two or so meetups should hopefully be on Saturdays since pfhor said he has the day off for a few weeks, actually.   :toot:

Offline oldboy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
Sometimes we do go to Dallas and play Melty/Arcana/BB with some other people. Though that hasn't happened in a while. But if you can't get to Denton, you should at least try and get to the Dallas meet-ups. They're always pretty hype.

Is anyone else going to play KOFXIII with me when that comes out? IPW Southtown Arcade streams have gotten me so pumped for that game.

Offline Qpunch

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • QQQQETHBETHGNRDAW%R
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
I'm totally up for playing KOF XIII
C Aoko, C Wara, C Sacchin

Offline Synyster Spirit

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2011, 11:58:30 PM »
I may have found two more people to join our little scene. One of them mains Nanaya and the other had never heard of Melty, but isn't new to fighting games.

Offline Rokunaya

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Keepin' it alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2011, 06:17:05 AM »
One of them mains Nanaya

Never saw that coming.
 :nyoro:
clmelty: great roku! lol / I like roku lol
clmelty: I want to make CL like roku team
clmelty: Roku is best popular player in the meltyworld

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2011, 06:40:50 AM »
I may have found two more people to join our little scene. One of them mains Nanaya and the other had never heard of Melty, but isn't new to fighting games.
Tell em to come Saturday. Show em these boards.
We will be running a meet-up this Saturday @ 3pm or so. Melty + Meele + whatever else people want to play.

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »
Hey guys, I got bad news. I won't be able to make it to the meet up this Saturday. My sister in law died last night, so I'm going to be with my brother and family for the next few days. I would have told you in person, and not dumped something like this on a forum, but I'm already out of town. If you need me, call me.

-TexasTim-

Offline DrgnAK

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2011, 07:26:36 AM »
:( Sorry to hear that.

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
You have my condolences, Texas Tim.  Hope things get better for you.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »
So looks like next weekend we will go to a meet-up in Dallas. Prolly Saturday. I'll post more details when I hear back from Pfhor or Pat about it.

-TexasTim-

Offline Denthorn

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2011, 12:40:40 AM »
So looks like next weekend we will go to a meet-up in Dallas. Prolly Saturday. I'll post more details when I hear back from Pfhor or Pat about it.

-TexasTim-

Checked the dustloop thread, and if you're talking about the one at Mightfo's place, they moved that to Friday.  Personally, I'd be fine with going, but if not we can always just run some stuff at my place on Saturday like usual.

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
Yeah Friday we will go to Dallas to play at Mightfo's.
All of us in Denton: Pfhor has class scheduled until 5pm but he usually gets out early. I have class until 3pm. So expect to leave around 3-5pm.
Everyone else: It's prolly safe to show up to Mightfo's at about 3pm, so feel free to go early if you don't want to wait. I might not have room to pick ppl up on the way (Syn/Cookie).
If anyone needs the address, PM me and I'll get it to you. (Or it might be on dustloop if you feel like checking yourself.)

Hope to see everyone there. :bleh:

-TexasTim-

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2011, 08:23:36 AM »
Anyone from Houston want to carpool? Long shot, I know...
digitalpugilist.com

Offline Joindate:2012

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
it really is a shame that no one took advantage of UFO having the game

shame on you texas  :emo:

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »
it really is a shame that no one took advantage of UFO having the game

shame on you texas  :emo:
I don't think that the Texas players outside of Austin should be shamed at all.
The arcade itself seemed largely ignorant of the larger Melty scene in Texas, by their total lack of advertising of events for MBCC.
Why would people in Texas drive to Austin to play the same 3-5 ppl they play at home? Only if they host events and let ppl know about them will ppl drive out.
Also, the Austin community could have stepped in and let people know, if said community existed.
Like I said before, if we in DFW had known about events for CC, it's almost guaranteed that we would have driven out for it.
Therefore the only people that deserve shame are AUFO itself or the Austin MB player base. (inclusive or, meaning it could be both)

-TexasTim-

On a side note, from some of the posts from people who were at events held for MBCC at UFO, it seems that UFO TOs either did not know how to run a tourney, or did not care about MB. (Also inclusive or.)
My thinking is that they were doomed to fail from the start with MBCC b/c of the preceding statement, unless the Austin MB community took the running of the MB tourneys out of AUFO's hands.
UFO then would have only had to schedule events, take all the sign-ups for all games at one time, and hold the pot until the bracket is concluded.
Then just run the events and not wait till they're 6 hours behind schedule to even take sign-ups...

Offline Synyster Spirit

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
Sounds good, just let me know the details come Friday.

Offline Pfhor

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Beyond the 1% barrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »
There were no Meltyblood CC tournies at UFO the entire time they had it, and the 2 times I went there nobody played it except fubarduck, another guy who worked there, and a few button mashers. There were, however, events during the time they had MBAACC, we actually went to one (a CC tourney was scheduled, even) but that was the DAY they were setting up CC and Fubarduck had technical problems (they needed some ghetto ass usb cord that was only available in japan). That was unfortunate, but between that day and the day Fubar sold CC, there were absolutely no scheduled tournies for Current Codes to help hype up the game.

That said, I actually can't blame him, it's a bit of a gamble scheduling a tourney for a game you don't think anybody is going to show up for. Fubar didn't have much demand from people to hold a CC tourney. Perhaps we could have said more to him to give him an idea that people would actually show up to a CC event.

That's all chicken or the egg though, it's too late now and while I'm all for hating on Texas it's not really productive as of now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:19:05 PM by Pfhor »