When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: H-Ryougi Thoughts Without a Thread  (Read 60409 times)

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
Re: H-Ryougi Thoughts Without a Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »
I haven't really stuck 63214A into muscle memory yet, but as far as memory serves the air pickup is much more quicker than 22A.  If you mix it in with 214A or 214B, it helps the mind game since the animation looks incredibly similar but you have to train them to expect a 214A_B coming to make them freeze up.  Otherwise you're going to be DP or shield bunker bait up close.

22A gives Ryougi a fireball option; you can throw them out from max distance with little worries since it'll always ricochet off the wall.  Sometimes I spam 22A > air pickup > (air)22B_C for fun and random hits.  

There might be an application for 63214B when your back is against the wall -- not so sure if it's invincible on startup or what not, but if it is it might be useful for getting out of the corner when the opponent is on the ground doing block strings and what not.  623A is the other alternative for escaping the corner since it's fast and travels far.

I'll start using more 2369C as an anti-air to see if it gets any results.  Last I checked, it had invincible startup.  Too bad it's cursedly slow and a bit unreliable (not to mention unsafe)

None of the 63214 moves are invincible on start up.

2368c has 4 frames of jump start up, and 2369 has 6 frames of jump start up, so like BurstofAnger said, it's not a great wake up reversal. I can see it being used to avoid some air unblockable/unshieldable things like Miyako's AD, against shield bunkers, half moon shield parries, and half moon auto circuit sparks. As for using it as an anti-air, you're probably better off air throwing or using 5a/5b or j.6b/j.c as anti-air (depending on how you're positioned).

To get out of tight corner pressure, IMO, your best and safest option is to block until you can jump/dash out or have enough meter to bunker out. If you've got the read on your opponent, you can also go for a counter throw/air throw, a counter poke, or (shield) parrying. You can also arc drive if you know you can get the unblockable hit.

Edit: added more things that you can use j.236c to avoid.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:28:47 PM by Nandeyanen »

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 11:24:59 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think it had any startup, to be honest.  Thanks for reconfirming that.

63214B is decent with your back against the wall.  It jumps over crouchers, and the knife always ricochets off the wall for an optional IAD knife catch if you need it for pressure.  However, it telegraphs pretty badly so if someone suspects one, they can knock it out of the air pretty easily.  Overall, still a cruddy move.

623A goes under people.  I guess it's made to be the other way out if people jump in on you.

I played around and changed my gameplan to see how much of a difference it would make, and the results were pretty good.  Knife throw > air catch > knife throw really helped pin down the other guy alot easier; I think I got something like four knife throws in a row or something until they finally started doing something about it. 

Then I started sticking 2369B_C into the mix: it has such a huge hitbox that if they didn't block it in the air, they'd get wallslammed immediately and I could continue throwing knives from far away with impunity.  214A helped as well as it had more horizontal range.  The neatest thing I did all night was a blocked 2369A, land, 5BB (while they're stuck in the air) > 214A into wall combo. 

So now I'm using her from midscreen to fullscreen now to harass them from a distance, and it works pretty well.  A lot better then trying to rush in and land bnbs, anyway.  I'm going to try sticking 214C and 22C in a bit more, to see if that helps her tighten the distance and see if that gets any results.  There might be some use for 6AAA as well, too.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 12:16:12 AM »
I'm going to start learning H-Ryougi combos now. I'll do some experimenting and report on my findings. I'll probably play against a few people soon and I'll try her out.
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 12:29:16 AM »
I'm going to start learning H-Ryougi combos now. I'll do some experimenting and report on my findings. I'll probably play against a few people soon and I'll try her out.

I'm interested in seeing what you think about the switch from C to H. Record matches if you can, please.

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 12:32:34 AM »

I'm interested in seeing what you think about the switch from C to H. Record matches if you can, please.

Actually, I'd also like to request that anyone else here who can record some matches to do so. Wondering if there's a huge variation in playstyles, or if we all tend to play her similarly.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:26 AM »
I'll start by learning the basics posted in this thread and then grind the hell out of these combos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIR1p98WaQ#t=1m45s

Only thing I don't like about H-Ryougi is lack of meter management and is EXTREMELY knife dependent for pressure.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5d__Kg_oQ
I think I'll use this for BnBs n shit... Loops look legit.

5.6k meterless knifeless knockdown corner combo.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:54:01 AM by Rei »

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 01:05:39 AM »
you're probably better off air throwing or using 5a/5b or j.6b/j.c as anti-air

Lol, this whole time I had no idea that she had a j.6b. I can't believe it. Back to training mode for me...

Edit:
If you're learning the sweep loop, keep in mind that these are the characters that it's impossible on (as far as I can tell): VAkiha, Hisui, Mech Hisui, Satsuki, Ryougi.

I also can't get the loop to go for more than 2-3 reps against Kohaku, Miyako, Nero, or Ciel. Seems to always end 1 rep early on White Len, and has very strange timings/easy accidental crossups on Aoko, Ries, and Tohno but otherwise works on them.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:46:37 AM by Shlowpoke »

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 01:09:05 AM »
I'll start by learning the basics posted in this thread and then grind the hell out of these combos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIR1p98WaQ#t=1m45s

Only thing I don't like about H-Ryougi is lack of meter management and is EXTREMELY knife dependent for pressure.

She is mildly dependant on her knife for pressure, but her normals are pretty good by themselves. The only downside is that they take forever to come out. Without her knife, you can still end her blockstrings with 421c to whiff, 2a to whiff, 3c (safe on block), 5c (spaces you out) or if you're close enough to you knife, you can cancel a move like 5c into knife pickup and use that as a cancel while grabbing your knife. She's not all *that* reliant on knife pressure. It's just a really nice option to have.

As for meter management, it's pretty easy to bring your meter down by doing some sort of blockstring like 2a 5bb 2c 5c 2c 3c 236a 236a 214b 22c -> free mix-up (and it eats away around 50% of their guard meter). You can also use j.236c in some of the situations I mentioned earlier. Also, auto-heat isn't so bad. It means that you can go into heat while keeping them in a blockstring and utilize her arc drive more. Auto spark will also let you reset pressure if they manage to counterpoke/reversal you (unless it's baited).

Also, I don't know if it's the same for C and F, but you should keep in mind that aerials are pretty shitty against grounded opponents.

Edit:
you're probably better off air throwing or using 5a/5b or j.6b/j.c as anti-air

Lol, this whole time I had no idea that she had a j.6b. I can't believe it. Back to training mode for me...

You also might not know that off of an aerial tech, you can do 22/44/66 a/b/c for a move similar to the j.236 moves. They have some invulnerability, and you can combo off of the EX version if they wallslam.

2nd Edit
I really should start putting all this info on that other thread I made...  :-\
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:15:35 AM by Nandeyanen »

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 01:21:47 AM »
You also might not know that off of an aerial tech, you can do 22/44/66 a/b/c for a move similar to the j.236 moves. They have some invulnerability, and you can combo off of the EX version if they wallslam.

So that's how you do those. I've done them myself but always by accident. Happen to know if any of them are safe on block?

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 01:36:22 AM »
Just a simple note. j6b has slightly further range horizontally and its hitbox is higher than jb. Other than that it's exactly the same as jb.
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 01:38:19 AM »

So that's how you do those. I've done them myself but always by accident. Happen to know if any of them are safe on block?

Not sure if they're completely safe on block, but they do knock you back a bit. Actually, after checking it out, it seems like the A and B versions do not have startup invulerability. The B version seems to be strictly better than the a version, and the EX version does have invincibility on start up. They do prevent you from being able to anything afterwards (on the way down) though, so on whiff they'd be pretty terrible.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:40:00 AM by Nandeyanen »

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 01:50:57 AM »
The B version seems to be strictly better than the a version

B is definitely much faster, but if these are parallels to j.236a/b then the A version might be a high, which is at least something it would have over B/C.

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 01:56:48 AM »
The B version seems to be strictly better than the a version

B is definitely much faster, but if these are parallels to j.236a/b then the A version might be a high, which is at least something it would have over B/C.

The A version is not an overhead. They have the same hit box, and I believe B also recovers faster, and has more active frames.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:02:39 AM by Nandeyanen »

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 02:09:36 PM »
Jeez H combos are tough. I've been practicing these

2A 5B 2B 5C 3C 623B 2C 3C 623B 2C 3C 22A 5B j(catch)ABC jBC 6E

2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 22A (2C 3C 623B)x3 2C 3C 5BB jAB j.BC623B (lands on knife)22A

(corner combo, can start from mid) 2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 2369B 5BB 214A 3C 2A (2C 3C 623B)x2 2C 3C 623A

2A 5B 2B 5C 2C 22A 2C 2369B(catch) 5BB 214A 22A jC airdash(catch) j.C22C j.BC j.BC236B

(corner loop) 2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 22A 3C (2A 2C 3C)x7 5A6AA 214A jBC jB6BC236B

I've been able to do the 2A 2C 3C loop and the double knife catch combo. 2C 3C 623B combos are tough, you gotta get the 2C out fast, and then delay each 3C for a bit then 623B instantly. Timing is really tough. I really want to learn the combo with the 623A ender for good oki and meterless 5.7k
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:11:38 PM by Rei »

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 03:05:42 PM »
Nice stuff.  Good luck practicing those loops Rei.  Master those, and you're already proficient in H  ;)

Gonna record some videos tonight.  Hopefully I'll get some good matches and post them tomorrow.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
Jeez H combos are tough. I've been practicing these

2A 5B 2B 5C 3C 623B 2C 3C 623B 2C 3C 22A 5B j(catch)ABC jBC 6E

2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 22A (2C 3C 623B)x3 2C 3C 5BB jAB j.BC623B (lands on knife)22A

(corner combo, can start from mid) 2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 2369B 5BB 214A 3C 2A (2C 3C 623B)x2 2C 3C 623A

2A 5B 2B 5C 2C 22A 2C 2369B(catch) 5BB 214A 22A jC airdash(catch) j.C22C j.BC j.BC236B

(corner loop) 2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 22A 3C (2A 2C 3C)x7 5A6AA 214A jBC jB6BC236B

I've been able to do the 2A 2C 3C loop and the double knife catch combo. 2C 3C 623B combos are tough, you gotta get the 2C out fast, and then delay each 3C for a bit then 623B instantly. Timing is really tough. I really want to learn the combo with the 623A ender for good oki and meterless 5.7k

In addition to grinding combos, also grind her blockstrings (IMO, much more important), since her pressure is pretty good. Since you have 22a, 2a, 421c, 5c, and 3c as blockstring enders/whiffs in conjunction with reverse beat, you can get pretty creative with blockstrings and trick you opponent with multiple frame traps. For example: 5b 5c 2a (whiff) 2b 2c (small delay) 3c (small delay) 22a -> mix up. And if they block correctly, you can still guard break and punish.

You also want to get very well acquainted with her normals. They're all very slow to start up and have moderate recovery time, but have good range, guard damage, and blockstun, so you should get used to them and experiment around. Otherwise you'll probably find yourself getting counterhit constantly.

Also get used to using teck like avoiding H-chars' auto spark by jump canceling mid-combo to j.236c, punishing H-chars' shield parries on reaction with 421a/b/c, and knife catch mix up/tricks.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:37:36 PM by Nandeyanen »

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2009, 02:20:40 AM »
Posted about nine match vids with the guys from last Tuesday.  Sorry for not getting it up yesterday as promised. 

http://www.youtube.com/cphame

I think I broke my stick, since you'll see me whiff 214A in a lot of my combos.  Execution could be better, too.  Actually, looking back at the vids, I look pretty terrible...constructive comments or suggestions?

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's vids too  :toot:
digitalpugilist.com

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
Posted about nine match vids with the guys from last Tuesday.  Sorry for not getting it up yesterday as promised.  

http://www.youtube.com/cphame

I think I broke my stick, since you'll see me whiff 214A in a lot of my combos.  Execution could be better, too.  Actually, looking back at the vids, I look pretty terrible...constructive comments or suggestions?

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's vids too  :toot:

Work on your block strings/corner pressure. You use 214b as a block string ender way too frequently. I would recommend not doing so at all, because on block, you lose all your pressure. Instead of ending with 214b, whiff cancel to 2a/421c or use 22a knife throw for +frames. Also noticed that you use 22c/214c a lot in combos, which isn't great. They don't really add any damage, and there are better uses for meter (22c in blockstrings/tick or whiff into Arc Drive). And you really should catch your knife at least some of the time. Aside from that, just work on basic stuff, like work on hit confirming all of your random hits into 3k combos, and spacing yourself better.

I should be able to record match vids this Sat provided everything works out, so I'll work on getting those uploaded once I have them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:02:25 PM by Nandeyanen »

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »
You use 214b as a block string ender way too frequently. I would recommend not doing so at all, because on block, you lose all your pressure. Instead of ending with 214b, whiff cancel to 2a/421c or use 22a knife throw for +frames. Also noticed that you use 22c/214c a lot in combos, which isn't great.

...what?  I don't use 214C in combos, if any at all.  And yeah, the reason why I used 214A_B so much was because I wasn't sure why I wasn't getting them after 6AAA, so I kept doing them (and random 2369A_B) to see if my stick wasn't broken.  Thats also why you'll see me just stand there or miss combos. 

And you really should catch your knife at least some of the time.

I did, actually.  Sorta.  Since it was just casuals, I was throwing it around a lot more often than usual to see how it feels.  I thought I caught it pretty often that night...

Thanks for the feedback though, sir.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
Heeey Shlowpoke taking the .gif i made for his avatar :(. lol It's awesome.

Anyway, grinding this combos, they're tough...  :emo:

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
It can't be any tougher than C Ryougi  :psyduck:
digitalpugilist.com

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure sweep loops are tougher than anything C has
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »

Yes.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
Very much this ^^^

All of C's combos are relatively easy compared to H's and are easier to hit confirm as well...

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »
I was just trying to encourage him  :emo: