hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: General feedback thread!  (Read 31994 times)

Offline mizuki

• Knight Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
General feedback thread!
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »
Comments and criticism here.

For podcast specific feedback, please post in it's episode's thread.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:02:48 PM by Mizuki »
what the fuck is this game

Offline F9|Chibi

• Knight Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
Re: Feedback thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
Be gentle~
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »
Miz, since you are the main host, you should be asking more stuff and playing a more active role.  You were mad quiet compared to Fox and Chibi.  They were basically leading the entire thing, whereas I thought you were going to be leading off the main topics and then they were going to ask supporting questions and such.  It's not like you can't be loud or something, haha.

Also one other big thing, you guys have to practice some sort of outro, lol.  You guys were like "Okay, see you later Tom" and then talk for another 10 minutes.  lol.  I didn't really mind, but it's just silly when you're saying goodbyes three times over the last 10 minutes of the show.

Overall it wasn't too bad.  Felt like you guys were scrambling for direction a few times, but that's to be expected when you're still fresh at it.  Maybe try some practice runs interviewing random people in chat or something to try getting used to branching into another topic when the discussion is starting to stagnate or ending things on a strong note.    On the positive note, I'm glad you guys managed to keep the discussion from veering off onto certain unrelated subjects pretty well.  

Edit:
Talking in chat about it, I think it'd be beneficial if you guys split up the cohosts so that there's only two people running each show.  Just like, alternate the cohosts or whatever, you know?  I think having less people to juggle questions back and forth with will help reduce some of the awkwardness and random stutters in flow due to accidental interruptions and so on.  It should help to streamline it a little.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:01:06 AM by LoliSauce »
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Kusanagi

• Da Gawd
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 15
  • The Sword that Slays Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:00:51 AM »
You should take Chibi out of the show and everything would be better  :mystery:

no srsly...
I just got one thing to say: Add BGM... you can add it in post-production, which I think is the best option, you can just play it with low volume and that's it... :V
because srsly, w/o bgm it sounds pretty plain. Everything else, meh, I'm listening to it right now so, I'll get back here if anything.
- Main: Aoko. Alts: CRoa, CRyougi, H-Sion, C-Arc
- My Stick [TE mod. PS360+]

Offline mizuki

• Knight Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:19:08 AM »
I'm actually NOT the main host.

Offline kona

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • DOOOOOOOOOOOOOFUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:34:31 AM »
For a first episode, I liked it. May I suggest that you guys plan your questions for your guest(s) ahead of time so there's no confusion about where the conversation is going. Hopefully you touch on topics like the current Melty Blood scene and what the future may hold in store for Melty Blood and its community. Anyways, great start and I hope to hear more in the future.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:37:16 AM by kona »
Gachi Rangers are so godlike

Offline F9|Chibi

• Knight Magus
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:01:28 AM »
@ kona:

1. Our questions for Tom were planned already. If you listen to what I said, he had answered half of the questions without us having to ask them. Also, we did touch on the topics you're referring to as well.

@ Tim:

Yeah, Miz is just there. Fox and I are the actual 'hosts' of the show.

We'll work on an outro though, haha.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:56:53 AM »
cut out shit like "the mic died" for the final version
Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
Like I told Fox earlier on IRC, I expected the first show to be ass and more of a learning experience sort of thing.

+ Overall good show.
+ Nice first guest.
+ Not much off topic even to what Arly was saying.
+ You stuck to your notes and questions towards your guest and that was the most important thing.
+ You guys got good voices that people can listen to.

- Felt like I was losing Chibi near the end like he was tired.
- Need to make a systematic approach when it comes to Q&A time (one at a time sort of) and take turns asking the questions.
- Need an outro.

I'm not hating on the pauses and the technical problems. That's a given and it happens all the time. Just gotta edit it during post-show. You guys did a good job IMO and am looking forward to more episodes.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline F9|Chibi

• Knight Magus
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 08:19:36 AM »
The entire process of this show actually took around four hours (being held up in the middle) so I was a little tired at that point.

Also, any suggestions for an outro?

Shit, do we even have an intro?

:psyduck:
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
Understandable.

You guys can work out the intro/outro thing a little later on. Proper introductions of the hosts were fine this time around imo.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
It's probably a non-issue, but is it possible to host files somewhere else instead of Mega Upload?  It redirects you to other "sites" after the download begins, and it sucks.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline F9|Chibi

• Knight Magus
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »
We'll be uploading it to Meltybread as soon the ftp works properly.

:toot:
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »
Awesome, that's great to hear.

digitalpugilist.com

Offline Kazigen

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
As someone who's recently joined the community i think a cast with Arlieth was a great idea. Knowing how meltybread came together was really helpful.
A few times of random silence was funny.

Still great job guys, i look forward to the next cast
Member of the non-existent Montreal Melty scene

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
-Pros

-Arlieth really stole the show with his knowledge and background in not just Melty Blood but in fighting games.  Chibi complimented this interview very well as they both seemed prepared for what was going to be asked.
-Fox was paying attention the entire time to what was said and able to ask questions keeping the interview very dynamic.  
-All three of you kept the direction flowing.  
-All three of you were able to provide background information about your scene in either game dynamics, community review, or event attendance.  The balance was nice between East Coast and West Coast, we want to get a good impression of the scene as a whole.
-Mentioning recent events to help keep the scene seem alive helps in production.  Consider this a trial-run.  

-Criticisms

-Mizuki you sounded like a 60-year old crack addict.  Keep your voice clear!  Don't be afraid of the mic.  
-Brief pauses showed inexperience in this media form.
-All three of you were kinda taking a slow and steady overtone into the interview.  The only hype I felt was from your guest!  
-Work on your transitions better.  There's no need for the announcers to ask "is there anything else we need to say", you should all confer about the main points before hand.  The breaks inbetween topics really broke up the flow of the whole show in general.  Save the freestyle for when you're used to doing these, 2-3 months down the line.  

-Suggestions

-Miz & Chibi - Talk more upbeat, and sound interested in the conversation.  I know things were rough for the first time, but don't let it inhibit future podcasts.  2am for you guys might be 2pm for someone a couple days down the line!
-Fox, don't worry about what needs to be edited in the middle of the show.  Saying "we may need to cut that out" isn't really necessary.  Discuss everything afterwards. 
-You'll all be able to get over the brief pauses to make editing less of a pain, but you'll have to do some for now.  It's annoying but as the announcers become more experienced, editing will be less and less necessary.  For now the idea of adding a BGM in post-production (and only post-production) that someone mentioned earlier, until you all get used to the format, is an excellent idea.  It's a nice workaround until you fill in the gaps yourself.  Edit. Edit. Edit.  It's not live so you have the luxury, even if it takes an extra day to come out.  If you're recording Wednesday, it doesn't need to come out until Thursday.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:49:59 PM by Tsukasa Hiiragi★ »
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline grandlordzero

• Spellcaster
  • ^ Still My EVO-Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 01:44:56 AM »
Pros: Arly knew his shit backwards and sideways.

Cons: Need's fluidity. Work on subject changing, eliminating long ass pauses, and not sounding so damn awkward half the time. Pretty much shit that's already been said.

Did better then SRK's first podcast (imo), but Arly kinda carried the show. Gotta get that HYPE for future episodes.

Also, if im not mistaken, the intro music was an arrange of Help Me! by Crow's Claw? IIRC, was titled "Catch the Dream: Satchin Arm" or something, right? Nice choice. They've got a newer arrangement of it on their "Original Intention" album. There's a handful of other arrangers that do T-M tunes as well, so lemme know if you ever need help with T-M arranges.
Why do I even bother going to EVO anymore.... D8

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 04:25:53 AM »
Yeah, finally an outro!  You guys really stepped up the synergy this time around.  I was rather pleased.  I also lol'd that all three of you happen to play pretty lame.  Didn't realize it till the reaction to unknown matchups topic came up.

I don't really have any negative feedback this time.  Instead, I was wondering if you guys could post up any specific questions to the audience or feedback requests in the announcement post for the new cast (either the front page post or in the forum podcast thread) because I remember that you guys asked like three things in specific, but I cant remember what they were after I was done listening.  

Maybe for each new cast announcement you could like give a quick preview of who you'll be interviewing, what the main topics you'll cover, and what the questions towards the audience are or something along those lines?

Edit:
Also update the irc topic with the latest breadcast!  Also, an embedded player streaming the cast on front page is in high demand! (not sure if you guys can already do that or not, since I'm posting before chibi has a chance to front page post the cast)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:33:40 AM by LoliSauce »
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline mizuki

• Knight Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
This time, our pre-show discussion was an hour, instead of 5 hours. There was a preview, but I cut it from the final revision just in case something doesn't go as planned. Thanks for the input, we'll try and integrate it into later shows.

Offline Kusanagi

• Da Gawd
  • Spellcaster
  • The Sword that Slays Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
Put some fucking BGM... your voices alone make me sleepy :3
- Main: Aoko. Alts: CRoa, CRyougi, H-Sion, C-Arc
- My Stick [TE mod. PS360+]

Offline Coren

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 64
  • Swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 04:20:18 PM »
The reason people don't use H-Roa's Hiero isn't because it uses half your meter (that would be a good trade for H-Roa) but because it has a decent amount of non-invincible startup (between 6 and 10 frames IIRC), it's still useful for the knockdown and it can escape some setups, but it's nowhere near as good as seventh heaven.

--------------------------------------------------
How I would buff my character in console (even though it looks like most of it happened in CC)

C-Roa:
air orbs only go away on knockdown like ground orbs
22A lightning charge recovers faster
5B: recover faster
6C: be a real goddamn anti-air.

H-Roa:
I'd give him a ground overhead of some sort, he really needs someway to mix up in his endless pressure beyond working in tickthrows now and then. And 6C-> IAD j.b/c doesn't count; it's literally the most obvious overhead in the game.

Nerf:
I would just nerf teleport-style EX's and arcs in general; it's really annoying to have people get out of meaty orb/SOKO DAROU setups and my post-airthrow cornertraps for free. Especially the arcuied teleport EX's and Hiero, they escape all my oki for free.

---------------------------------------------------------
Also: YESSSSSSSSSSSSS I AM THE QUESTION MASTEEEEERRR
Combos so bright I gotta wear shades.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »
This time, our pre-show discussion was an hour, instead of 5 hours. There was a preview, but I cut it from the final revision just in case something doesn't go as planned. Thanks for the input, we'll try and integrate it into later shows.
Just to clarify, I'm not asking you to preview in the cast itself, but in the announcement post after the show is finished.  That way you already know what you went over and what questions you guys had for the listeners, and can just give a quick run through after linking the show.
---

Offline mizuki

• Knight Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Re: General feedback thread!
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:49 PM »
00:05 < natto> ok
00:05 < natto> i guess you could talk about
00:05 < natto> how beginners should learn fighting games 101 since
00:05 < natto> we get a lot of players who have never played fighting games before...
00:06 < natto> <bellreisa> i think you have the same problem a lot of beginners have when there's too much information
00:06 < natto> <bellreisa> you focus too much on what a character can do instead of what *you* can do
00:06 < natto> <natto> i think it would be ok if it was like mbac and you could be netplaying everyday but since your playtime is limited you need to be much
               more goal oriented imo
00:06 < natto> we have a lot of bad casuals that could be helped by guiding their approach
00:06  * natto shrugs
00:07 < natto> the problem is they just have a bad process
00:07 < natto> like they are just going about it the wrong way
00:07 < natto> they are skipping steps
00:08 < natto> like they need to understand the significance of a double jump
00:08 < natto> the significance of neutral jumping
00:08 < natto> etc
00:08 < natto> cause a lot of nwe players + youtube era
00:08 < natto> they just think its RPS
00:08 < natto> and they try to force rps situations
00:08 < natto> i get really bored playing against new players
00:08 < natto> cause its just rps all day with them

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Re: General feedback thread!
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 01:17:04 AM »
If you're going to do specific strategy sessions, please dedicate an episode to specifically cover the neutral game.  There's a lot of players, from mid tier down to casual level, who don't really understand the significance of all of the options available to you, and that there are many times in which you should not use them needlessly/thoughtlessly.  Having a high tier player on (preferably someone who can explain things well, like someone who writes tutorials or character guides for example) to help go over this would be wonderful.  Analyzing a video might also be helpful, for the visual reference, but it might make things difficult or overall just be unnecessary.

I bring this up because the neutral game is probably the most unique and hardest to grasp concept of anything in melty (in comparison to other fighters).  I remember it took me a long time to realize that it wasn't just all "I'm gonna fly around in the air with all these movement options, poking when I get near someone".  Even now, the neutral game is probably my personal biggest weakness.

It should probably cover things like:
-Movement options- when to use them and when to save them
-Poking and Spacing- mentality of when to poke (if at all), identifying the best normals to use in specific situations, what to do when facing against better normals
-Zoning vs Rushdown mentality
-Option selects in the neutral game
-How to best score counter hits to confirm combos

I dunno, some of that is probably redundant, but I'm just throwing shit out off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:49:49 AM by LoliSauce »
---

Offline Florio

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Burn, baby, burn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 03:12:56 AM »
Put some fucking BGM... your voices alone make me sleepy :3
I thought this too, but this is just because there are too many pauses, like some people mentioned earlier. You guys should try to be more active, or answer faster sometimes. The BGMs could still be very cool though.
Also in the last episode, the volume of one of your mic goes down twice, which is a bit annoying : make sure you don't speak too far away from it !

Apart from that, I love these ! Now I listen to them while taking the metro ;D
I'm French, so excuse my English...