hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: FINAL ROUND DRUNK RESULTS  (Read 55140 times)

Offline Jaxx

• Old Dirty Bastard on the Microphone
  • NIGGA NERO BITCH!
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Huaaaaaaaaaaaa bitch!
    • View Profile
Re: FINAL ROUND DRUNK RESULTS
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
El oh fucking El

This shit done got way outta hand, but choco has a point about the money match thing.  You can go ballz to the wall in a ft5 it actually takes endurance and mental strength to win a ft10.  With 200 and 500 bux up, I wouldn't back down if I was choco either.  100 ft5 is borderline, I do agree with that, but anymore than that, a true skill showing should go.

Hey hellmonkey, anything over 100 in gg do u guys go ft10 or ft5, because I know in marvel they do ft3 for 100?
Back in full FX, again.  Getting back into practice, well, that's another thing all together.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2008, 12:11:43 AM »
Idiot Relay Chat meet Moron Bread

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2008, 12:47:48 AM »
This thread was an entertaining read at least.  :V
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline HeartNana

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • Stealth Momo
    • View Profile
    • My Japan Blog
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2008, 01:34:27 AM »
Well, no matter how good anyone thinks they are, we all would still get knocked out first round at SBO, so we all suck anyways. And yes, this includes myself, anyone who may have won national tournaments, or large FT10 matches.

Seriously, why don't you guys just focus on getting better as a community instead of fighting all the time? Then again, what do i know about being good, im just a scrub... :blah:
My new Japan blog  (updated weekly)- http://arcanaheartnana.blogspot.com/

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2008, 01:47:27 AM »
Well, no matter how good anyone thinks they are, we all would still get knocked out first round at SBO, so we all suck anyways. And yes, this includes myself, anyone who may have won national tournaments, or large FT10 matches.

Seriously, why don't you guys just focus on getting better as a community instead of fighting all the time? Then again, what do i know about being good, im just a scrub... :blah:

Eat, drink, think and dream Melty Blood.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2008, 02:52:38 AM »
These FT3/5 vs. FT10 arguments remind me of arguments on Track team back in High School.  Which takes more skill: sprinting or distance running?  Answer: They BOTH take skill.

- FT3/5 shows a player's skill in adapting quickly.
- FT10 shows a player's skill in mental stamina.

Of course Tare (and magz) support FT5.  Sion has so many tricks up her sleeve - it will take more effort to get used to her mix-up as opposed to say... Shiki.  Tare intends to overwhelm Choco before he can adjust.

And of course Choco supports FT10.  Satsuki is statistically the worst character in the game.  Her only strong point is okizeme.  Choco intends to take his time on studying Tare's patterns so he can wear him out in the long run.

In addition to skill, both require confidence.  It takes confidence to not panic against a character with sick mixup and you're playing first to 5.  It also takes confidence to remain calm against an opponent experienced with endurance runs. 

Clearly, Tare and Choco have different strengths - and their "first to" preferences reflect that.  Instead of pointing fingers and saying who's a chicken and what takes more skill, why not compromise and go first to 7/8?

Offline milesokeefe

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2008, 04:31:08 AM »
Practically speaking, whoever wants the match more had better be prepared to accept the reluctant party's terms. The money match doesn't need to happen.

Politically speaking, I feel that choco may safely ignore Tare's challenges until Tare does well in a live tournament or two. In fact, it'd be best for him to do so- choco has more to lose at this point. More than Tare could possibly lose until Tare does well in a live tournament or two himself.

Offline Harem

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • bubz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »
These FT3/5 vs. FT10 arguments remind me of arguments on Track team back in High School.  Which takes more skill: sprinting or distance running?  Answer: They BOTH take skill.

- FT3/5 shows a player's skill in adapting quickly.
- FT10 shows a player's skill in mental stamina.

Of course Tare (and magz) support FT5.  Sion has so many tricks up her sleeve - it will take more effort to get used to her mix-up as opposed to say... Shiki.  Tare intends to overwhelm Choco before he can adjust.

And of course Choco supports FT10.  Satsuki is statistically the worst character in the game.  Her only strong point is okizeme.  Choco intends to take his time on studying Tare's patterns so he can wear him out in the long run.

In addition to skill, both require confidence.  It takes confidence to not panic against a character with sick mixup and you're playing first to 5.  It also takes confidence to remain calm against an opponent experienced with endurance runs. 

Clearly, Tare and Choco have different strengths - and their "first to" preferences reflect that.  Instead of pointing fingers and saying who's a chicken and what takes more skill, why not compromise and go first to 7/8?
Tare mains Arc, not Sion.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2008, 06:07:19 AM »
Issuing money matches is a stupid way to generate artificial and unnecessary pressure and false motivation to try and get one to play better. The truth of the matter is simple: you will improve by studying the game, working on execution, gaining matchup experience, and constantly adapting your gameplan. The Melty scene is too young and early for this sort of bullshit. Marvel needs it because the game is old and done, it needs the drama to stay alive. How about we get a tournament where we can get at least half the people there up to HF/Arly/Sp00ky/Zar's level before we start trying to hype shit up with drama. You guys have no idea how poorly it reflects on the community when an outsider watches matchvids and sees maybe 20-30% of the BnBs being dropped; it makes both the game and its players look bad.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:08:54 AM by bellreisa »
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2008, 06:15:05 AM »
Money matches, however, are a great way to quickly make/lose money.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »
Money matches, however, are a great way to quickly make/lose money.

Not if it's first to 10.

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
Awesome, I get to post this again:

This is actually for rounds/set, but it works for sets/match too.

Honestly, it matters most when the players are close in skill (but not absurdly close). The bigger the skill gap gets, the larger the initial jump is but the quicker the function reaches the natural limit (of 100%).

Politically speaking, I feel that choco may safely ignore Tare's challenges until Tare shows up to a live tournament or two.
Fixed.

Quote from: bellreisa
Issuing money matches is a stupid way to generate artificial and unnecessary pressure and false motivation to try and get one to play better. The truth of the matter is simple: you will improve by studying the game, working on execution, gaining matchup experience, and constantly adapting your gameplan.
That actually requires effort. Possibly talent, too.

You guys have no idea how poorly it reflects on the community when an outsider watches matchvids and sees maybe 20-30% of the BnBs being dropped; it makes both the game and its players look bad.
lolz

Then again, for the longest time (and even today, to a small extent) Japanese players drop combos in this game. We understand why, and it is our responsibility as players to fight around the problem as best as possible, but an outsider watching the game is not going to know that. Hopefully they fix that shit in MB:AA.

Quote from: Zaeler
Not if it's first to 10.
I actually tried to figure this out -- then I realized that I'm way too lazy to right now.

However, there is something similar that occurs in gambling where you actually would opt to take a smaller edge over a shorter cycle instead of a better edge over a longer cycle. Now this ultimately depends on bankrolls and actual edges gained/loss, but it ultimately comes down to winrate per hour (worked or not).

Short answer: Zaeler is actually right.  :psyduck:

This isn't really about logic, though -- Choco just wanted to pizownor Brandino.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »
First to Ten was set by Marvel vs Capcom 2 standards. We still follow that standard in all other games, especially at Evo (i.e.: FT10 in 3rd Strike Amir vs Hsien).

Any money match of $100 or over should go FT10, in my opinion. Extended matches are designed to eliminate gimmicks as well as luck.

FT5 if there's a whole bunch of money matches in a row to take care of, otherwise.

However, I do think Choco was in an advantageous position in a FT5 anyhow. Tare doesn't have the tournament experience that Choco does regarding that matchup.

EDIT: Just read Zaelar's comment: He's actually right :psyduck:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:01:11 PM by Arlieth Tralare »
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline rashreflection

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2008, 02:03:56 PM »

p. much this

Also, bellreisa wins this fucking thread.  And if Brandon had beaten Choco but then, say, lost to Jiyuna in the tourney, I'd be saying the same thing.

I side with the Cannons on this one: Money matches are an easy out for people who've convinced themselves that they can't win tournaments.  As I recall (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), that's basically how they got started in Marvel - Justin & Sanford were guaranteed top 2 at any tourney they went to, so people looked for another way to make themselves "famous" (lol).

Honestly, if fighting games truly want to become professionalized, I don't know if that shit can stay.  There's a reason you don't hear about big money matches in tennis or golf...

-Josh
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:20:22 PM by rashreflection »

Offline Harem

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • bubz
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »
EDIT: Just read Zaelar's comment: He's actually right :psyduck:
World explodes.  :slowpoke:

Offline XAQshinor

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 38
  • Shirley ;-;
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
Xaq....your got damn len.  Good shit though baby, I gotta find ways around that.

i wasnt there and i dont like lolis T_T. :prinny:

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »

p. much this

Honestly, if fighting games truly want to become professionalized, I don't know if that shit can stay.  There's a reason you don't hear about big money matches in tennis or golf...

-Josh

Every Tennis and Golf tournament(Major and side tournies) have stupidly large pots where more than the top three bring home winnings. A $100 golf or tennis match is NOWHERE near big money in that circle. This is not a good comparison in any shape or form. People that play proffesional sports in this country make an insane amount of money and have sponsors and agents(to find them ways of making even more money) And also what is a $100 match when membership to a golf or a tennis club will cost you several times that amount. Once again, Video Games/Proffesional Sports=not a good comparison.
<kijea> anyone pick me up for AM4
<kijea> plz
<kijea> i will suck ur dick

Offline Hellmonkey

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »
I think FT10 is fine in Marvel or GG, but Melty is slow and boring and I'd probably kill myself before a FT10 finished.  True answer to FT3 vs FT5 vs FT10 = learn Guilty Gear.

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • OKKUSENMAN! OKKUSENMAN!
  • Magic Circuits: 24
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
FT10 in MB is like FT10 in CvS2: everyone loses, especially the spectators.
<kijea> Nerina
<kijea> can i play sex with you

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »
Yeah I've been echoing Bell's sentiments for a while now (I didn't bother watching one match of the MM to begin with), but I can't stop certain people from doing whatever they want so that's how it is I guess.

But yeah, ft 10 in MB is really stupid, sorry. I gurantee after a certain point that people will go into auto pilot, and that's obviously not a good thing.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
Choco, why not let Tare have FT5, since your the one who challenged Tare. Be a sport like Brandon did. I say the last line because of the stipulation you imposed on Brandon if he wanted to have a MM against you. If you really care about being in the "big leagues", as you like to say, then wouldn't it be better to take less matches, as it will potentially require for you to be more solid with your character? Such matches like that give great practice that will certainly help you prepare for the inevitable SBO qualifier we will get. Never say never!

Seriously though, be a sport, sport. =)
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »
I have nothing to do with this thread but I will post anyway because.

Hilarious thread.
NERINA IS A MURDERER

Offline Greyvangelist

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • drive bitch im in my zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »
Xaq....your got damn len.  Good shit though baby, I gotta find ways around that.

i wasnt there and i dont like lolis T_T. :prinny:

I think he meant Xianoir. loltypo

Offline Masamuna

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • Orb Scrub
    • View Profile
    • Art Gallery
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »
Tied for 17th....much better than I thought I did. Maybe next year i'll actually play the game prior to FR so I can get dat placement a little higher. Or atleast I won't drop combos out of nowhere as often as I did this year. Tournament ran really good too.

Chibi: MM next year? I'll be training hardcore this time.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »
Just thought I'd throw out that the sanford vs duc match was FT7, since we're copying mvc2 for no reason.  I'll also throw out that there are 3/5 mvc2 money matches.  Oh, what to do, copying mvc2 answered one question but asks the same one again.

Money matches are WHATEVER THE FUCK THE TWO PEOPLE PLAYING AGREE ON.  STFU and don't make people suffer through anything longer than first to 5 unless you have $1000 or more in non third world currency on the line to make it at least somewhat interesting for people you see more than once a year.  Unless it's a huge overhyped match between two top players from different regions, no one gives a fuck unless theres money involved, and not just a measly 20.