When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: [Feb. 5-7, 2010] UCon@UConn, Storrs, CT  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Mindgam3

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
[Feb. 5-7, 2010] UCon@UConn, Storrs, CT
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
This entire post is subject to updates as Vierge and I find out more information. We’re looking to have everything updated and confirmed by the end of the week. If you have any comments/suggestions/complaints, by all means PM me or post up.

Introduction:
The pinnacle of academia is not to be confused with the absence of gratification. Alas, the fissiparous nature of such concepts is but a mere construction of your subscription to the media. The (chocolate-covered) quarks of February 5th through the 7th will be the host to an amalgam of scholarly pursuit, daring execution, and the greatest victories that any of you reading this post will ever hope to achieve. If you are of quick wit, you have already grasped what awaits you in the blistery northern campus of the University of Connecticut. Hailing from what might be considered a discourse of digital mayhem, let us celebrate our competitive spirit with some good ol' fashioned fighting games.

Information:
UCon@UConn is a convention based around anime, games, video games, movies, music, and just about any other area of entertainment in the world.  It is a three-day event that will start on Friday February 5th and end on Sunday February 7th.  During this time, there will be tons of activities for participants including: anime and movie screenings, casual video games as well as tournaments, tabletop games, card games, board games, guest speakers from the entertainment industry, panels open for discussion on a variety of topics, and a multitude of performances both user supported and professional.  There will also be a “vendor’s room” open during the entire convention where people can either show and display their goods for sale (relative to the convention itself), or con-goers can walk around, browse, and maybe purchase an item or two.

Visit http://sites.google.com/site/uconatuconn/ for more information, such as the convention schedule, parking, etc.

Featured Games (We can add/remove games if there is enough/not enough interest. This list is just a default guideline.):
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core
Melty Blood: Actress Again
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
Street Fighter IV

Address:
2120 Hillside Road
Storrs, CT, 06269

Convention Hours:
Friday
12:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday
8:00am - 1:00am
Sunday
10:00am - 4:00pm

Registration Fee:
There is absolutely no fee to get into the convention. However, you must register with the convention staff beforehand. There will be a table dedicated to registration on the first floor of the Student Union. Registration and sign-in starting at 12:00pm on Friday, with the convention officially opening at 2:00pm.

Concerning the fighting game tournaments, there will be registration fees to enter each fighting game. The registration fees for each game will then be placed in a dedicated collection of money (a "pot"), which will then be distributed to the winner/top 3 of each respective tournament. Preliminary registration fees for each game are as follows:

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core - $5
Melty Blood: Actress Again - $5
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - $5
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion - $5
Street Fighter IV - $5

Pot Distribution
"Winner take all" for up to 10 participants.
70-20-10 split for 11 or more participants.

Dates/Times:
I have included tournaments that will be hosted by our local LAN center Friendly Fire (marked by "FF"). These tournaments are free to enter, and the winners of said tournaments will be awarded in Gamestop gift certificates. Visit http://www.friendlyfiregamecenter.com/ for more information.

Friday
Halo ODST Challenge (FF) - All Day!

Saturday
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (FF) - 1:00pm
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core - 3:00pm
Halo 3 TDM 2v2 MLG 7.0 Settings (FF) - 4:00pm
Street Fighter IV - 5:00pm
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion - 7:00pm

Sunday
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Search and Destroy 2v2 (Default Classes) (FF) - 1:00pm
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - 1:00pm
Melty Blood: Actress Again - 2:00pm

Rules/Regulations:
General
-BYOC (Bring your own controller/stick)
-Button mapping will be allowed. Let your opponent know before the match.
-Pausing during a round results in that player losing that round.
-Double blind pick for people that don't want to be counter picked during the first match is available upon request. Call an announcer if you need any help with this.
-PS3 versions of Tekken 6, Street Fighter IV, and Blazblue will be used.
-PS2 versions of Guilty Gear and Melty Blood will be used.
-Double Elimination Best 2 out of 3 Matches, Finals will be Best 3 out of 5 Matches. Each match will be best 2 out of 3 Rounds.
-Winner keeps the same character. The loser can choose a new character.
-All console characters are tournament legal unless otherwise noted.
-All Seeding will be done by Location, just make sure you tell the tournament organizer your location when you sign up.
-Be on time. If any tournament organizer calls your name, be ready to play. If we have to call you more than five times in one minute increments, you will be disqualified. Exceptions will be made to those already in other tournament matches. Getting food is not an excuse! Plan ahead of time.

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core (PS2 US Version)
-Double Elimination
-Timer set to 99 seconds
-Best 2 out of 3 rounds
-Best 2 out of 3 matches (Losers, Winners, and Grand Finals are best 3 out of 5)
-Button binding is allowed
-EX, Shadow, and Gold characters are banned
-Kliff and Justice are banned

Melty Blood: Actress Again (PS2 Japanese Version)
-Double Elimination
-Timer set to 99 seconds
-Best 2 out of 3 rounds
-Best 2 out of 3 matches (Losers, Winners, and Grand Finals are best 3 out of 5)
-Original Balance settings will be used
-Archetype Earth is banned

Street Fighter IV Singles (PS3 Version)
-Double Elimination
-Timer set to 99 seconds
-Best 2 out of 3 rounds

Tekken 6 (PS3 Version)
-Double Elimination
-Timer set to 60 seconds
-Best 3 out of 5 rounds
-If they are available for selection, Azazel and Nancy are banned

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger (PS3 Version)
-Double Elimination
-Timer set to 99 seconds
-Best 2 out of 3 rounds
-Best 2 of 3 matches (Losers, Winners, and Grand Finals are best 3 out of 5)
-"Easy Specials" are not allowed
-Unlimited characters and console-specific Astral Heats are banned

Miscellaneous:
-If anyone is willing to help out even if just for a couple of hours, you are by all means welcome. At this point in time we are understaffed, so by volunteering you will be helping the convention as a whole run more smoothly. Just there is no confusion, I will say right now that volunteering will NOT get you any benefits whatsoever. This is a free convention brought forth by the cooperative efforts of the students of UConn, so only volunteer if you are interested in helping for the sake of helping. If you're still interested, e-mail brain.falkner@uconn.edu and state your name, what days/times you are willing to help, and what area/aspect for which you want to volunteer.

-WE NEED SETUPS! This includes game systems, games (especially MBAA), and TV's. Aside from the three HDTV's to which VGO has regular access, Friendly Fire Game Center (who is hosting the other portion of the video game room) will only have LCD monitors. While this might be okay for games run on the PS3, I'm almost positive that someone will be upset about a lag-related issue. To avoid this, we must bring any and all CRT TV's ourselves. If you wish to bring a setup, PM me or post in this thread.

CRT's:
1. Light Nazgul
2. Gonzales
3. Furok

Setups

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core
1. Vyers - PS2 + Game
2. BlueNine - PS2 + Game
3. Zoob - PS2 + Game
4. Light Nazgul - PS2 + Game

Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
1. Zoob - X360 + Game
2. Furok - PS3 + Game

Street Fighter IV
1. Vyers - PS3 + Game
2. BlueNine - PS3 + Game
3. Furok - PS3 + Game

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger

Melty Blood: Actress Again
1.Light Nazgul - PS2 + Game (Friday/Saturday Only)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:41:01 PM by Mindgam3 »
"I am a robot, what is love?" ~beep boop beep~

Offline Mindgam3

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb. 5-7, 2010] UCon@UConn, Storrs, CT
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »
Only one more week!

Offline Mindgam3

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »
I have moved Tekken to Saturday at 7:00pm...Why is this board so inactive?

:prinny:

Offline The Lazy One

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • ~slow clap~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »
It just is.  I'll be there, but I don't know if I'm comfy with bringing a set up, I don't plan on staying in the game room to watch over it's safety 24/3, and the site itself says we're responsible for our own stuff. (If I did, it'd be a 360/BlazBlue setup)

Offline Fraga

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • The Man with the Vest and Fedora
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »
Hooray! Hopefully Mr. Falkner gets back to me soon for helping out
There is No Love for Roa. Time to change that

Offline Mindgam3

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
It just is.  I'll be there, but I don't know if I'm comfy with bringing a set up, I don't plan on staying in the game room to watch over it's safety 24/3, and the site itself says we're responsible for our own stuff. (If I did, it'd be a 360/BlazBlue setup)

The most that you can do at this point would be to place some kind of identification (i.e. masking tape and sharpie) both on top, on bottom, and over the disc tray. I'm going to look into finding some easily customizable containers with locks on them in the meanwhile (Since I want people to be able to plug in their controllers with ease, all the while keeping the system safely secured inside the container without the risk of overheating). There will be two people in the room watching over things if all else fails.

Offline The Lazy One

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • ~slow clap~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
Alright, I guess I can bring a Blazblue setup, well, actually, I wouldn't be able to provide a television, is that alright?  And I'll be sharing a dorm with a buddy for the weekend, so would I leave the setup there overnight?  Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious. ^_^

Offline Mindgam3

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »
so would I leave the setup there overnight?

Excellent question. We cannot hold equipment in the rooms that we have booked overnight (it's UConn, so nothing they do has to make sense), so you will have to take your setups/equipment with you either when you are leaving for the day or when the convention ends. Not being able to provide a television is not a problem at all, since it's not necessarily the amount of TV's that we will have trouble with, but the setups for the particular games that we are going to run.

Offline The Lazy One

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • ~slow clap~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »
Alright then! Count me in for a 360 Blazblue setup!

Offline Fraga

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • The Man with the Vest and Fedora
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 07:40:24 AM »
Comon guys! Rep MBAA! Show everyone what New England MBAA is all ABOUT!
There is No Love for Roa. Time to change that