When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Linked Events

• [Atlanta, GA] FINAL ROUND XV: March 02, 2012 - March 04, 2012

Author Topic: FINAL ROUND XV March 2-4, 2012 "The 15th Anniversary" EVO2k12 PITSTOP  (Read 87612 times)

Offline dumba989

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Ambassador of the Secret Society
    • View Profile
    • Secret Society HQ
Re: FINAL ROUND XV March 2-4, 2012 "The 15th Aniversary"
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
The early bird special is 1/2 off for your entry badge at FR15 at the door fee, but will only last for a limited time (the end of Oct)! at http://www.finalround.org/FRXV​/index.cfm so if you wait to get your badges you'll add more cost to your trip to Final Round!  Take advantage of the deal while it last.(ends at the end of October)

I'll definitely be getting my badge at least by the end of the month at the latest & I'm confident that Current Code can & will easily pull BB/KOFXIII/Skullgirls numbers because SO many people are going to be coming out of the cave it's gonna be ridiculous.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

Offline AARP|ZTB

• HATEmaster
  • Magic Circuits: 102
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
I have a tendency to get overzealous when it comes to getting this damn community hype and usually get burned for my efforts. Despite this, I will leave the moderators with some advice/realtalk as I'm a nice person and all (not really). Whether you choose to actually consider the ideas I have to offer or ignore them, the latter being the standard, is entirely up to you guys. I won't be around to tell anyone "I told you so" should shit outright bomb. And yes, I'm feeling myself right now.

1) Promotional Flyer
Someone with insane or near-insane photoshoppe skills needs to get up on designing a flyer for this. Not for the FR event itself but for the MB tourney and that alone (no offense to ShinBlanka).

Ideas for images to be included:

--Executioner Ciel & Princess Arcuied as these are the new characters being promoted for the upcoming title.
--Crazy/Sexy/Unique fonts that stand out and emphasizes the epicness that is to come several months from now.
--An image of CL (the player) if possible OR a silhouette of CL's image would be cool too (he'd probably appreciate the discreetness of the latter though). If no images can be found of CL or if he's not up to having any form of his image on a flyer then the designer should settle for just an img of Ciel (the character) or find some way to hype up the presence of a foreign, high-status player appearing for this event.
--Mention presence of other nations at this event (once confirmed). Make it a big deal that this may in fact be the first big international event for MB outside of evo2010.
--Flyer should be flexible enough to add in modifications before final print (post flyer on meltybread for feedback)

Now I'm not sure if ShinBlanka is holding another event before FRXV next year but the mods need to get up on finding out asap and speak to someone who can put together a decent flyer to be handed out at this event prior to FRXV. AND even if for some reason flyers cant be handed out sometime before FRXV, someone should submit this flyer to ShinBlanka and request he post it on the FR website. Both handouts and img upload to a site should be implemented imo.

2) Promotion Video
Again, get someone w/ the talent to put something together. Perhaps a compilation of footage of MB events hosted at previous FR's mixed w/ footage of the guest attendant (CL). Or maybe a timeline of sorts, displaying the most ridiculous moments of US mb history then foreshadow the epicness that has yet to come (FRXV of course). We've got 3mths before CC is dropped and this is plenty of time to consort w/ the talent we have in our community who can put something together. Pushing out two trailers for this would be ideal but realistically we should have at least one super-high quality (and original) trailer ready by December-January.

3) International Affairs
Get the word out. Make this a huge fucking deal. If people have to work 3 jobs to fly halfway across the world to make it to the next FR, then so be it. Make them (the international MB scenes) WANT this shit. We have members on meltybread who have MB sites up for their respective countries (ie Brasil, Japan, China and parts of EU iirc). Collaborate w/ them and gauge their interest in an international MB event and if they're for it, have them blow it the fuck up on their site! Six months is ample time to gather up funds to make it out to this but you guys have to act now.

4) Raido Promotions
I'm looking at two ppl right now and you know who you are lol. You dudes have to drop a fucking super nova on this FRXV MB event. Try to set up interviews w/ the MB moderators for the event, maybe even shinblanka, and get them to express their views about the FRXV MBAACC and what they expect from the tourney and the community in the upcoming months. Anyone else who has some stream shit or radio show setup, dont wait for someone else to go in on this. Set up interviews and discussion too!

5) Demonstration Videos post-CC (PC)
I don't know about the rest of you guys but when CC drops, I'm hitting the lab w/ force. I intend to crack this game like eggs and will be documenting every piece of new info I come across. IMO, when the time comes, we should be going in like SRK (sorry, I had to say it) and saturate the fuck out of the home page w/ videos of new findings, setups, tutorials, combo vids, hi-lvl play, streams and whateverthefuckelse type of recorded media we can throw up there. Keep that home pg poppin'.

After reading Komidol's (much appreciated) blog post about the fate of the international scenes, I've come to realize that will always be and have always been on our own with this shit. We need to just do us and stop trying to cater to other fg communities (w/o trying to tear them down in the process). We have the resources, the talent, and the vision. People now are just going to have to wake the fuck up, get up and get theirs because this certainly will not grow on its own. Whether or not we get into EVO next yr. is not an issue atm. We need to grab THIS opportunity by the balls and CRUSH all opposition (pretty picture, aint it?)

Get yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLmlcqgwhk

p.s. Fuck the fatcats for giving us the runaround
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:24:36 AM by ZARtacus! »
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline ShinBlanka

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • Respect your opponent's and respect the game!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.finalround.org
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 11:29:45 AM »
You know I'll tear the goddamn roof off for you Larry. Granted we will do our best to supply whatever we need to make the tournament go by smooth and in a timely fashion. We've done it 2 years straight, so we can damn sure guarantee a 3rd. I'll (or Brandon will) keep you posted on Korean CL's status.

Next time I see him on MSN I'll be talk to him and give you guys an update.
sounds good to me sir!
Final Round "A Tradition in The FGC"

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »
-snip-

It might be time to take a trip out to West Japan this weekend.  See if I can get in contact with Go1.

But don't wait for me to get something done.

+heat
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:43:06 PM by Komidol »
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
Count me in for making the flier.

I'll just need images of CL if possible~
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline dumba989

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • Secret Society HQ
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
I have a tendency to get overzealous when it comes to getting this damn community hype and usually get burned for my efforts. Despite this, I will leave the moderators with some advice/realtalk as I'm a nice person and all (not really). Whether you choose to actually consider the ideas I have to offer or ignore them, the latter being the standard, is entirely up to you guys. I won't be around to tell anyone "I told you so" should shit outright bomb. And yes, I'm feeling myself right now.

1) Promotional Flyer
Someone with insane or near-insane photoshoppe skills needs to get up on designing a flyer for this. Not for the FR event itself but for the MB tourney and that alone (no offense to ShinBlanka).

Ideas for images to be included:

--Executioner Ciel & Princess Arcuied as these are the new characters being promoted for the upcoming title.
--Crazy/Sexy/Unique fonts that stand out and emphasizes the epicness that is to come several months from now.
--An image of CL (the player) if possible OR a silhouette of CL's image would be cool too (he'd probably appreciate the discreetness of the latter though). If no images can be found of CL or if he's not up to having any form of his image on a flyer then the designer should settle for just an img of Ciel (the character) or find some way to hype up the presence of a foreign, high-status player appearing for this event.
--Mention presence of other nations at this event (once confirmed). Make it a big deal that this may in fact be the first big international event for MB outside of evo2010.
--Flyer should be flexible enough to add in modifications before final print (post flyer on meltybread for feedback)

Now I'm not sure if ShinBlanka is holding another event before FRXV next year but the mods need to get up on finding out asap and speak to someone who can put together a decent flyer to be handed out at this event prior to FRXV. AND even if for some reason flyers cant be handed out sometime before FRXV, someone should submit this flyer to ShinBlanka and request he post it on the FR website. Both handouts and img upload to a site should be implemented imo.

2) Promotion Video
Again, get someone w/ the talent to put something together. Perhaps a compilation of footage of MB events hosted at previous FR's mixed w/ footage of the guest attendant (CL). Or maybe a timeline of sorts, displaying the most ridiculous moments of US mb history then foreshadow the epicness that has yet to come (FRXV of course). We've got 3mths before CC is dropped and this is plenty of time to consort w/ the talent we have in our community who can put something together. Pushing out two trailers for this would be ideal but realistically we should have at least one super-high quality (and original) trailer ready by December-January.

3) International Affairs
Get the word out. Make this a huge fucking deal. If people have to work 3 jobs to fly halfway across the world to make it to the next FR, then so be it. Make them (the international MB scenes) WANT this shit. We have members on meltybread who have MB sites up for their respective countries (ie Brasil, Japan, China and parts of EU iirc). Collaborate w/ them and gauge their interest in an international MB event and if they're for it, have them blow it the fuck up on their site! Six months is ample time to gather up funds to make it out to this but you guys have to act now.

4) Raido Promotions
I'm looking at two ppl right now and you know who you are lol. You dudes have to drop a fucking super nova on this FRXV MB event. Try to set up interviews w/ the MB moderators for the event, maybe even shinblanka, and get them to express their views about the FRXV MBAACC and what they expect from the tourney and the community in the upcoming months. Anyone else who has some stream shit or radio show setup, dont wait for someone else to go in on this. Set up interviews and discussion too!

5) Demonstration Videos post-CC (PC)
I don't know about the rest of you guys but when CC drops, I'm hitting the lab w/ force. I intend to crack this game like eggs and will be documenting every piece of new info I come across. IMO, when the time comes, we should be going in like SRK (sorry, I had to say it) and saturate the fuck out of the home page w/ videos of new findings, setups, tutorials, combo vids, hi-lvl play, streams and whateverthefuckelse type of recorded media we can throw up there. Keep that home pg poppin'.

After reading Komidol's (much appreciated) blog post about the fate of the international scenes, I've come to realize that will always be and have always been on our own with this shit. We need to just do us and stop trying to cater to other fg communities (w/o trying to tear them down in the process). We have the resources, the talent, and the vision. People now are just going to have to wake the fuck up, get up and get theirs because this certainly will not grow on its own. Whether or not we get into EVO next yr. is not an issue atm. We need to grab THIS opportunity by the balls and CRUSH all opposition (pretty picture, aint it?)

Get yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLmlcqgwhk

p.s. Fuck the fatcats for giving us the runaround

This was so motivational I felt the manliness coming from the post & hopefully people stop trolling & get serious cause I want FRXV to blow up for Melty as well not only because GA's my home, but because I wanna feel that hype for Melty like I did in 2010 & I didn't even know what Melty was as being a mere spectator playing SFIV, Brawl, and 3s, that chilling feeling down my spine that really makes me proud to be a person who loves Melty & not just the game, but the bonding that the community has despite how crazy shit can get.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
I want to try making FR XV avatars for melty, anyone want to help?
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline ShinBlanka

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
Keep up the good brainstorming fella's!  I'll get on a podcast show on any sunday I don't have a home football game. (I'm a atlanta Falcons season ticket holder)

Offline AARP|ZTB

• HATEmaster
  • Magic Circuits: 102
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
I want to try making FR XV avatars for melty, anyone want to help?
ffffff and give up my current gdlk av?

Baaah, go ahead and sign me up for one when you and your team get something together. Also FYI Mizuki put together some funny MB themed avs for NEC promotion a couple yrs. back. Should hit him up to see what he thinks. There are some other talents lurking on the site as well (coughlivingshadowcough).
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• I wish I wasn´t a white person
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 25
  • STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK!
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »
Keep up the good brainstorming fella's!  I'll get on a podcast show on any sunday I don't have a home football game. (I'm a atlanta Falcons season ticket holder)

If you're free this Friday or Saturday then Shinobi and I can do FR show.

Edit: Yes I know it's 5 months too early, but with the potential hype it has now there's no reason to hold off on it until then.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:52:39 PM by Brandino »
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline ShinBlanka

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »

If you're free this Friday or Saturday then Shinobi and I can do FR show.

Edit: Yes I know it's 5 months too early, but with the potential hype it has now there's no reason to hold off on it until then.
I think I have to work and I work the night shift.  So if i work friday it turns into sat morning also.  When i get home I sleep until atleast 8pm.  Then i get ready for work.  So if I don't have to work on sat night then I can do the show sat evening around 8-9pm.

Offline GenericSuperhero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
the next nec is going to be the biggest tangible promotion chance for mbcc at FR and evo, in case people haven't noticed.  should work on having a big mb turnout there (not at the expense of not being able to afford going to fr) and finding an impactful way to spread word of the sequel while our numbers attract attention.  a well timed team sp00ky stream announcement or multi-game website press release would probably be most effective.  imo (at first glance) it's a lot more important to PR for more american players to attend both nec and FR than to pay for attendance of a foreign player without name (or even country) recognition in the gaming community (including US melty until recently).  but that's very arguable; having a top asian player over could be played up really hard.  still, imagine being an outsider to our community:
"oh, they've got a top korean player coming to play this game i've never heard of.  wait...korea?  wait, melty blood?  that game with like 30-40 entrants at NEC?"  versus
a well timed announcement and active game advertisement by a big and noticeable NEC turnout.  theoretically, the 700+$ to fly CL over could help 10-20+ extra american/canadian players go to NEC by helping poverty players with venue fees or transport/accommodation.  likewise it could get an extra few to many important poor american players to FR.
ideally, of course, we can have 50+ turnout at NEC, huge turnout at FR, and CL in attendance
also, in regards to zar's PR suggestions: these are great and necessary, though i'm sure the process and execution will prove somewhat bumbling in nature.  we could increase the effect of such efforts by coordinating/timing the radio/press/video/stream announcements and live promotion of mbcc at nec.  in advertising/marketing, there is definitely a proximal reinforcement effect: seeing a bunch of scattered advertisements is less effective than seeing all of them one after the other in a short and high focus period of time.  the ideal time to have information, videos, etc available about the game is when interest is piqued in such a manner.  advertisements also work better with a primer for attention, such as NEC or a popular stream/show.  in summary, we should try to get announcements on streams/radio shows and general fg sites especially, preferably in sync.  that said, the random efforts are still great and overall key.  the most important thing is just to get material out there; the finesse of the process comes second.

also the international hype path is a great idea.  if we could really get this to be a huge tourney with a significant number of participants from EU/Americas/Asia, wow.
of course, on the off chance that mb somehow sneaked into evo lineup, nobody would be able to afford to go :laffo: but evo isn't something that's even plausible enough to be on our consciousness

on a sidenote, i'll be at FR as long as i see enough mb people posting attendance to merit a flight
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:45:44 AM by GenericSuperhero »
<Dipstick> bell would have a significant advantage in length and size
<Dipstick> but Sp00ky has a lot more experience

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »
In all honesty I see ~700$ being at most 3-4 American players (way far off from 10-20.  Plane tickets from like NY to ATL are like 350$ in the cheapest).  Like Evo though, if we really hype up FR I think everyone who physically can will come to FR for the event.  Let's not forget, if we do actually want to be in Evo, FR will be the major stepping stone for that. 

Also, I will start mentioning FR to the top JP players I know.  I don't think it's unlikely if we can see to it Korean CL attends, that a Japanese player will come as well.  Furthermore, we did a lot of networking at Hydra GP.  I definitely think at the very least Garu, T.I., and Yoshino have the funds to make it out to something like this and would want to. 

The point is to make it an International Tournament that doesn't require the EVO name tag - which means we need to do it ourselves.  Since I beat Korean CL at Hydra GP and meeting LK, the Japanese are more interested in playing Americans as competitive interest now (or, it's more like, they know we exist). 

Don't get me wrong, I think NEC is a huge radio focal point for promoting MBCC in the future (as it will be the last PS2 MBAA tournament), but I think it's better to allocate our resources (resources as in, people wanting to donate or for the more poor people who have to choose between one and the other) for FR this year.  If BBGXI/XII/NECX are any indication (as opposed to something like NECXI), earlier tournaments for a game will always be stronger than later tournaments in it's life. 

Not to say we shouldn't put our sights on Evo 5 months after FR, or NECXIII 10 months later, but FR can warrant us enough support as a major, and has the clout to make MBCC have a good game lifespan for the next year to come.     

Edit: Sp00ky promoting MBCC at NEC is a long shot too, even.  He said he'd be willing to stream MBCC, but only if people are playing it.  Which means rather than rely on Sp00kster to give support for the game from the start, he's more willing to be an amplifier if and only if it gets the support from the start.

Again, it''s all in our hands.  I honestly feel like supporting CL and FR is the right first step to draw support from sources like the JP Community, Sp00ky, and Evo.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:51:51 AM by Komidol »
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline dumba989

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • Secret Society HQ
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
And while on the topic of international players possibly coming into attendance, who's going to be able to translate for them?
-Anony on Sankaku

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
And while on the topic of international players possibly coming into attendance, who's going to be able to translate for them?

Me.

Offline dumba989

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • Secret Society HQ
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2011, 10:55:27 AM »

Me.

You can translate the Korean language & japanese?
-Anony on Sankaku

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »

Me.

You can translate the Korean language & japanese?

CL Speaks a little English, a native Korean, and was a Japanese major in college (aka, his Japanese is godlike). 

And yes, I speak enough JP to get by.  It won't be a problem. 

Offline WYVERN LORD

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 59
  • dakishimetainoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:17 AM »
I honestly think it's premature to start collecting money for anyone to attend FR at the moment since we don't know the quality of the port yet. Right now it looks like the CC port is at the bottom of the company's agenda with UNIB approaching  and it's highly possible that the port will be sub-par. Not going to say it will be ass, because it might be awesome, but this isn't even a standalone release yet. I don't think we should be flying anyone out to play the mb equivalent of AH2 ps2
a maiden's pure heart is a budding flower

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
I honestly think it's premature to start collecting money for anyone to attend FR at the moment since we don't know the quality of the port yet. Right now it looks like the CC port is at the bottom of the company's agenda with UNIB approaching  and it's highly possible that the port will be sub-par. Not going to say it will be ass, because it might be awesome, but this isn't even a standalone release yet. I don't think we should be flying anyone out to play the mb equivalent of AH2 ps2

I agree but for different reasons.  I think PC MBAACC is a high priority right now, since Unib doesn't come out until spring and the game is already scheduled for release.  Of course, they already did MBAC on PC, so they know the deal. 

But like I said originally, I'm going to hold out for donations until the game is released, but that doesn't mean we should in any way stop hyping up the event.  Like Generic said, use NEC as a big communication point (but at the same time in my opinion we shouldn't be taking resources away from FR in order to goto NEC, either).  I think FR should be the goal. 

If you guys are hesitant for that, it's going to be hard for me to put my word out for FR with the JP players.  I want to make sure we have a running game plan before I go all over every JP communicae and ask them to come out for FR. 

At the same time I can't wait for NECXII to happen to do that, because I'm only staying here until mid-december and it's going to be hard for me to reach as many people as possible during my last week here.

So are we all doing this.  Are we all going to decide to make FR into a big International tournament and bring players out as a community, and really take action to make our game big?

If yes, let's hear it  :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Or are our concerns big enough to risk 3-4 months of promotion until after NECXII and CC's release :slowpoke:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:23:29 AM by Komidol »

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
If this is how you people want this to play out, so be it.

All we can do now is make it aware that Final Round is the tournament to be, whether overseas or here in America. Komidol is going to start a body count in JP and anyone in America would have half a brain to PRE-REG NOW BEFORE THE FEE GETS ANY HIGHER that you can't handle the entry fee to make it. I seriously want everyone here, in the south for this occassion.

Brandon, hold off on the show. My laptop shitted on me and it won't hold a charge. It is still under warranty so its getting shipped out. In this time, I'll be planning a show in late November/early December after NEC for FR. I have a show I want to do before then to handle October's quota for Donjon Network. On top of that, I want to start reaching out to CL/Komi/Sp00ky for CC impressions once the port drops in January. You're the one who talks to CL the most so see if he'll want to run that. I'd hate to back out of an interview with Larry so soon, but only if my fucking laptop had behaved properly.

I'm pretty sure EC is gonna blow it up at Winter Brawl and is a very serious destination for the game. I know the time gap between Brawl and FR is pretty short, but it is good advertisement for things to come.

Relating to Final Round setups, this is no different from 2008. We are on our own so I'ma need some serious help in this department. If you have a laptop reliable enough to set this shit up, bring it. I am sure the waiving of fees will apply here as well. Also, granted I have received my taxes on time, I will bring a monitor to present matches on, not to be played on but to view. It will be used as bracket presentation as well to ensure that both home folks and overseas know who they are fighting against and where. We must show Larry once again why we are able to sustain a smooth and on-time tournament that is able to generate hype as well. I would also like to try to grab a little banner from one of Chibi's posters. Maybe.

This is the 4th year that Larry opened the gates for us to show who we are. I don't have to go anywhere with telling you guys how crucial this is to us and Final Round as a whole for maintaining all these years of hype. I have told you many, many times before Larry but I seriously can't tell you more thanks. It's time I've shown you how much this community burns for this game.

And since it's long overdue, I will personally see to it that there is another hype video. There is no excuse this year. None.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »
Good shit Shinobi.  Seeing as you saw to it the Evo MB teams went smooth in 2010, I completely trust you to network with Larry and know your full itinerary.  I hope you can use this thread for your reference, but also things like an extra monitor for displaying the brackets, recording of matches, among other things will all be in your hands.  People are stepping up, and that's good.

Beyond Japan, Korea, and America I think we also need to see Canada, Mexico, Brazil, and possibly even China in on this well.  If you guys can even push to send one player out, do so.  This is the time. 

Offline GenericSuperhero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
let's from now on abbreviate international players to International Melty Players.

to clarify, i wasn't trying to be negative about FR, but rather offer an alternative to the use of huge resources on a very large risk.  and i meant that 10-20 extra people could attend NEC due to easier access than FR, but it was only to put into perspective what a large amount of resources 700$ is.  once amassed, that's a significant power chip that could be otherwise spent, for sure.  still, i think that if the IMP attendance has a cascade effect on other IMPs, especially japanese, yours is the ideal route.  in addition, though i was thinking of our PR with the gaming community in general (and thus our potential to increase our rapport with non anime players) in the previous post, if i think solely of the hype level and excitement for our community, bringing in new high level players and perhaps more IMPs is the best option for our own entertainment/hype.  though that said, keep in mind that there are some top american players who probably have 0 chance to make it to FR alone but could with 700$.  which is not to say we won't see and respond to additional donation requests as FR approaches.

overall, yeah i'm all for this and you guys are doing all the work so i have nothing to complain about.  your current gung ho attitude is great and i'm sure you'll do the best job to make this happen.  my only concern is that it's a misplacement of an all or nothing attack.  there are complicating factors that may make this event as you picture it physically impossible or a farce despite your best efforts.  one is the quality and availability of the port, as jimmy mentioned.  i'm confident it'll work because otherwise it wouldn't be worth releasing, but if it looks terrible and a subsequent port looks much better, we've needlessly made ourselves and our game look bad.  but more importantly, you're suddenly in your excitement ignoring what was initially recognized as a huge impediment- cost of the port.  even if our impoverished zealots and more affluent players find a way to get their hands on mbcc, all the players in the middle and all the less invested players and potential new players will most likely be blocked out.  Hell, even chibi, mb player from the start, doesn't want to buy 120$ cc.  tonberry doesn't even own 120$, etc!  and again, i'm not discouraging people from buying; i will, and by all means everyone please try!  but the fact is that we'll be extraordinarily lucky if 2/3 our community of regulars has the game by february.

what this means is that interest in the game will be blocked by an even heavier hand than the jp ps2 problem of MBAA; an actual financial problem rather than time commitment problem.  so what does THAT mean? 
-it means that our general level of play at FR will be at a low standard (depending on how different cc is from aa), perhaps as low as the first mbaa NEC.  obviously, this doesn't dampen hype, but we look worse on stream (maybe half of our top tier will be adjusted) and it makes us look worse to the foreign players.  top players aside, a lot of players will probably be even more maladjusted.
-it means that even after the explosive hype of FR, anyone only reasonably interested in mbcc is going to wait for a standalone release which is unscheduled, and many of those people could lose interest by the time it comes out.  netplay i think is one of our strongest tools for spreading the game, and that won't be working properly yet either.
-most importantly, this probably means that all those sort of fringe players who came out to evo and nec for melty but aren't really that into the community won't bother to buy the game and therefore will probably be discouraged from flying to play a game that they don't know how to play.

there's also the additional variable of whether the tourney will be held on friday or saturday.  all of these little problems that the melty zealots are going to overcome are going to be solid deterrents for the lower interest level potential melty players.  that deflates our numbers and thereby our spectacle factor for the tournament and our future growth potential in comparison to a better situation that would likely be possible in the future.

which brings me to my general point that there are a lot of unknowns in this risk.  And for god's sake yes, i'd rather we bring in CL and have a 40 man tourney at FR than just not have shit because it'd be more fun for me.  but right now, on this thread, on the MBCC purchase discussion thread, and in general we haven't even confirmed domestic support at the event.  we don't even know if a substantial number of people outside our zealot base of perhaps 30-40 are even intending to attend.  even those zealots mostly haven't posted in this thread yet.  and (i'm not saying it's dumb, just odd looking) yet we're skipping ahead to the final step and taking the risk to elevate an event of mysterious potential to our explosive international debut.  and i understand, we're relying on our conviction and hard work to fill in all the blanks and get us to that point; you guys are filling in that last step early because it takes the most preparation and assuming you'll be able to solve all the more trivial problems along the way/hope they work out.  the trivial details just happen to be a bigger deal than usual this time.  if i was negative and conservative i'd say it's a better idea to let variables outside of our control work themselves out, improve our skill level in cc, have a good showing at FR, and then really push the resources (which would be greater by then as well) towards an NEC explosion with a standalone, hopefully netplayable version of cc out.  it's true that there's more hype when a game first comes out, but in this case it's more like "the game preview alongside a super weeaboo anime" is coming out.  it's unlikely that delaying the big deal is going to destroy cc's chances at being big.  last year's evo is proof of that if anything; we thought MBAA's potential was done after NEC, the big debut major, but as soon as a big deal IMP tournament showed up everyone was remotivated.  and yeah, i know that FR is before EVO and it's a chance for us to get into evo.  i won't even comment on that because it's so perfectly unpredictable but the reward is so huge that everything would be worth it.

and to disclaim again and not sound like an asshole trying to put off FR or sabotage in favor NEC, i want FR to be big and i'd love to go down for my first FR (they've always been scheduled impossibly til this year for me) and perhaps last FG major in the forseeable future (i probably wouldn't even be able to attend the next NEC) and have a lifetime memorable blast.  and i know that you guys are going to go on with this despite anything i say, which is why i believe that it may even work.  that's also why i debated even posting something somewhat negative since it's not going to stop you and at worst may hurt the cause.  but i think everyone should just be aware of these factors because if you DO do this, it'll work better if people know what the problem is to overcome it.

and in regards to my marketing suggestions, i more or less just meant we should try to get the sequel/tourney announced on sites like IPWinners and have sp00ky just mention it in a few sentences during the NEC stream (for our finals or something).  having big NEC numbers would help justify other FG websites doing an expose on MBCC just like they did for MBAA
<Dipstick> bell would have a significant advantage in length and size
<Dipstick> but Sp00ky has a lot more experience

Offline Inso

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
I find very inspiring how much time and effort you guys are thinking of putting into this. As a fellow MB lover, I hope you are able to keep it going regardless of the setbacks.
<Azura> what is porn? D=
<Cristu> baby dont hurt me

Offline Chie Satonaka

• I wish I wasn´t a white person
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 25
  • STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK!
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
I'm not really going to touch on the potential setbacks because I think Generic already did a good job doing that. Most of the potential setbacks at this point and time are stuff that are way out of our control. Price of the port, quality of the port, stuff like that. Right now the absolute WORST CASE SCENARIO is that the PC port ends up being AH2 PS2 bad...but they have done this before with MBAC so I don't think it'll be THAT bad. We'll just have to deal with however much the port cost when the time comes. I know there's going to be people who will support FB and ECOLE and buy the actual game, but for the majority, it won't be a matter of if it will be available through other means. It'll be a matter of when.

What we can start doing (and what I think we're doing a fine job at) is promoting this, and future major events. It's not just enough to just get hype and have a very strong following for FR / NEC / EVO. We have to promote and hype up the tournaments we really haven't shown a strong following in the past and up and coming newer majors such as ECT, MWC, SB VI, CEO 2012, etc. It doesn't look to have a great following for 1 or 2 specific majors and then have a less than steller following for the other majors. Although I can sort of understand that happening since Larry and Big Eric have been the two T.Os to show such love and support for the MB scene in the past, but I assure you that if we show up with the same hype we do for those majors then the other T.Os give us the same support.

Reason why I pitched the ideal of bringing CL to Final Round so early is to get the ball rolling NOW as opposed to waiting until we only have 1-2 months to raise $700+ and it'll be a lesser hassle to raise that money when we have 5 months to do so. I'm also aware that Winter Brawl will be happening before Final Round, but I chose FR because I know it's a bigger major that brings in more players from across the US as opposed to WB which AFAIK usually brings in the Northeastern players and is more so looked at as a regional as opposed to a major. It's not to draw away any hype from WB if for one reason or another it was looking like that.

Reason why I recommended CL personally was because I know he's always wanted to attend a US major and believe me, if MBAACC PC was being released in a practical time before NEC I would've done the same thing for NEC. Like Komidol said in the donation thread, CL has long been considered one of the best Korean players and has been a long time MB player so it's not like we're pitching in for a random no-name.

With all that said, only thing left to do now is to continue brainstorming on how to make this event one of the biggest events yet and deal with whatever setbacks we have when the time comes.

And yes Shinobi, we NEED a hype video for this Final Round.
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline ShinBlanka

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »
I personally don't want people choosing between nec or FR. :-X  Those are the 2 major tournaments for MB period.  The tradition is there so don't kill that.  There's always risk in anouncing new games.  I took a risk on putting the new MB in the official tournaments of FR15 without seeing if the game is good or if the people will play it at all.  I did the same with KOF13 because every community needs that support to grow.  Life is about risk imo.  The bigger the risk the higher the reward imo.  If the port is ass should I remove it from te tournament?  I wouldn't do that unless the players wouldn't want to play it at all.  I love the passion and resolve you guys are posting with.  I would say 1 thing though.  If you wait to get the process going on flying a ITP to FR15 then you'll run the risk of the flight getting higher in price.  I've flown out Nin and Knee from korea, so I know how the price of flights can jump up in 1 week.  When you get the hype vid ready please get it to me so I can put it up on the finalround website.  I have 1 request.  Profanity needs to be at a minimum as i'm trying to market FR to potential sponsors.  Thanks for the support fella's!  FR is only 5 months away!  The early bird special ends at the end of THIS MONTH!