When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: NECX in Philly -- the fourth annual Northeast Melty Major [12/05-06/2009]  (Read 122186 times)

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
The Northeast Championships are one of the longest-running tournament series in America and, with the death of ECC, the premiere event for fighting game players on the east coast.

It was also the first major in America to host Melty Blood as one of its official games. I'm going to quote myself here from 2007, because it's still relevant.

Back in the day, when you brought up the idea of running Melty Blood at a major event, people either went "what the fuck is that?" or just laughed at you for wanting to play an animu fighter; you would be taking up valuable resources that could be used toward MvC2 or 3S money matches. Then there was NEC. Big Eric (the tournament director for the event) just looked at it and went "you have sixteen people for this? that's cool player; take this setup and run it Sunday". So it ended up being the biggest side tournament of the entire event, finishing with a set from Sp00ky and Zar that is still going to this day (MB takes a long time to play), and was the first major to officially host MB.

Some people say that tournaments take on the personality of the person running them. That's true enough with the least coast MB tournaments, anyway -- Sp00ky's usually have a high but very quiet intensity to them, my own tend to be dead serious and just a touch self-loathing, and Chibi/Zaeler's events tend to always run a bit goofy. However, Eric is one of the most laid-back and chill people I have ever met in my life, and NEC as a result is one of the most laid-back tournaments I have ever seen. People just playing random casuals randomly, hotel room after hotel room after hotel room. Random team tournaments, low tier shenanigans, ghetto burgers, a zillion side games, people just chilling (even me, and I never relax).

This is the fourth year Melty Blood will be part of the Northeast Championships, now with new games, new memes to run into the ground, new gimmicks, new people, and even a new venue. Four years... jesus fucking christ, I feel old. This tournament predates Melty Bread itself!

Relive some of the older tournament threads:

NEC7 -- This tournament predates the forum, but tournament footage is available on RottenSashimi's Youtube account.
NEC8 -- Announcement, results, and videos linked in the results post (the direct link no longer works).
NEC9 -- Announcement, results, and video from StolenECFootage's Youtube account.

Now for some nitty gritty:

The Location:

Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport
4101 Island Ave,
Philadelphia, PA 19153

Hotel phone number: (215) 365-6600

This location is literally within spitting distance from the airport.

There is a special rate for the event, each room is $89.99 plus tax per night. This rate is good for Friday and Saturday [12/04-12/05]. To book a room, call 1-800-325-3535 ask for NE CHAMPIONSHIP 10th ANNIVERSARY special rate.

Big Eric asks that if your getting here Friday please call me at 267-231-8996; you can come to his room and pay your pre-reg and entry fee. That would really help him out if you guys can do that.

The Rules

There is a $20 cover charge on top of any tournament entry fees that need to be paid out. You get a nicer place, you get bigger bills. Seems standard enough.

The rules:

• $10 to enter (this is on top of the $20 cover charge); poor people (like Hyperhal) need not apply.
  • The Japanese PS2 version of Melty Blood: Actress Again will be used.
  • The Original balance settings will be used.
  • Default settings (except for quick restart and handicap being disabled), two out of three games for most tournament games, three out of five for winners finals, losers finals, and grand finals.
  • All characters are allowed except Archtype:Earth.
  • Bring your own stick or pad.
  • Free character selection by default; blind pick can be requested by either player.
  • Player side (1P/2P) is to be determined by a coinflip upon request.
  • You can change your character at any time except when you just won a game. Furthermore, the loser of a given game in a set can also request to switch sides.
  • Shower or bathe before the tournament.

Rules specific to the team tournament:

• Teams are to be composed of exactly two people.
  • The entry fee is $5 per player (or $10 per team).
  • Players are free to select any tournament-legal character and mode they wish at any time, regardless of what their partner is using.
  • The format for the tournament is commonly known as "Waseda", where each person on the team plays one person on the other team. If both players on a team win, they advance to the next round. If the teams split the games, the winners of the first two games play each other to determine the winner of the set.
  • All sets out of the team tournament are only one game. This includes all finals games (of course, the team that lost a game going into the grand finals still needs to win two sets).
  • If both teams can decide on initial match-ups, then they can be used. If no agreement can be made, a blind draw will be used.

Time frames are currently unknown, but MB teams has always been on Saturday and MB singles always has been on Sunday, both starting at 3 PM.

I don't know which button binding rules they are using this year; either the old NEC rules (where multi-button software marcos were banned) or Evo rules (where all multi-button marcos are allowed but no easy command functions (a non-factor in MBAA)).

Matches will be recorded and possibly streamed, with commentary. Embarrass yourself in front of tens of people watching live and hundreds watching on the Internet!

Other Games:

Running on Saturday, December 5th:

GameEntry FeeStarts AtSystemNotes
Soul Calibur 4$101pmPS3
Tekken 6$10???PS3
Blaz Blue$10???PS3$125 added
Guilty Gear:AC$102 PMPS2
Capcom vs SNK 2$23 PMPS2
SF3: Third Strike$103 PMPS2
Dead or Alive 4???7 PMX360
Virtua Fighter 5???6 PMX360
MvC2 Low Tier$56 PMDC

Running on Sunday, December 6th:

GameEntry FeeStarts AtSystemNotes
Street Fighter 4??????PS3
Marvel vs Capcom 2$102 PMDC
Super Turbo:HD$10???PS3/X360
SF Alpha 3$53 PMPS2
Ultimate MK3$54 PM???
KoF:XII$55 PMPS3
Killer Instinct$25 PMWii/Emulated$50 added

And who knows what other poor-ass shit they are going to run? There is always the yearly TMNT:TF tournament (always a highlight), and last year they had random tournaments for Fighter's History Dynamite, Street Fighter EX2 and Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game. I've had a couple of people harass me about Vanguard Princess and Fate/Unlimited Codes tournaments, so who knows. x_x

So for America's first Actress Again major, let's get it popping off something fierce.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:52:49 PM by D:ipstick »
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
Memories~<3

More aggressors of dark combat?

:teach:
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Spidey

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • No homo
    • View Profile
I wonder if this is the same poverty hotel as last time? But either way I am in. If any other wc people going let me know if you want to split room, or I am down to split a room with some ec people, ie jiyuna, nas, etc. Lets get our drink on like last year, and eat some Checkers at 2am.
Soko Darou

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
I'd consider showing up to this, but I need to get myself a PS2 pad first. Since I'm local I'll just show up before the event starts if I decide to join in (and get destroyed by the rest of you).

Offline Rayza

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 85
  • Lexus LFA
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter account
I wonder if this is the same poverty hotel as last time? But either way I am in. If any other wc people going let me know if you want to split room, or I am down to split a room with some ec people, ie jiyuna, nas, etc. Lets get our drink on like last year, and eat some Checkers at 2am.

Follow the link, Hotel looks really nice this time around.
Follow me @MisterRayza for updates on my streams.

Offline jiyuna

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • NETPLAY
    • View Profile
I just went to SummerJam which was held at the same tourney as this; the hotel is really nice....probably too nice for NEC.
The hotel/rooms are much nicer, but the actual tourney room is smaller and there's like no food nearby...expect to eat a lot of poverty pizza during the event.
NETPLAY

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
Hm, it is a different (and seemingly nicer) hotel... which would explain the added room fee.

Damn I am fucking hype for this and its a bit over 3 months away. So... What 20 people are rooming with me  :psyduck:?
They can't get enough of me

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
Me, why not.

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
Count me in if I make this
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
Pay for my ticket and I will run it back from 2007.
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
I'll be there! NEC is the greatest major I've ever been it.

Also get that AoDK shit outta here :P

Hopefully Poverty Wheel will actually happen, if Hal is up for it.
what the fuck is this game

Offline True_Tech

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • blue gunner or bluest gunner !?
    • View Profile
i'll be there /mike jackson

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
I'll room somewhere but it's more of a question of where. Maybe I'll just do what I did last time and sleep with Mizuki and Master Chibi again.  :V

Also, a list of current players:

01) Hyperhal -- Philly
02) Nas -- DE
03) Zero000 -- VA
04) Master Chibi -- NJ
05) protomanSTi -- VA
06) Dipstick -- AZ
07) NappyJin -- MI
08) Spidey -- CA (from MBread)
09) Kirbeh -- VA? (from MBread)
10) Sp00ky -- NYC (from MBread)
11) True_Tech -- CO (from MBread)

To channel eric here, step it up players. :3
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
I'll room somewhere but it's more of a question of where. Maybe I'll just do what I did last time and sleep with Mizuki and Master Chibi again.  :V

That sounds horribly gay...

Put me up for MBAA too while you're at it.

Offline ElderGOD

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 29
  • COLE / LUX
    • View Profile
I'm...getting 2 rooms. Going to hit up big e and the hotel to see how big the rooms are
215-218-8244

Offline MK dagawd

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
  I'm also going for MBAA and SF4.

Offline someAzNdude

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • need dat fix D:
    • View Profile
Put me in for MBAA

NECX GET HYPE!!!  :toot:

Also I'm down for a VP tourney if you're willing to run it  :prinny:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:17:01 PM by someAzNdude »

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
ill help for ya tix bell's hopefully some other cats will split.. but you know im down..

SHIT GONNA BE OFF THE HOOK

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YA'LL will be like Braveheart

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES, BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR  FREEEEEE- DDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

cuse ya'll too free

anyways.. looking to shoulda tackle you fuckers
Basically... kind of a big deal....

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Tomorrow is judgment day if I get easy mode job, if I get it NEC will be no problem and I'll be able to get to EC when I want. If that doesn't work, I may only be at NEC and then have to stay at my Grandparent's house til I leave for Cali (Bronx, not even close to DS) since I won't be paying my tix.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
Bell, let us know how much the ticket comes out to, see what we can do?

:teach:
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
Fuck.  I'm in.  If I get a few spare bucks, I'll throw in for the 'fucking cat' fund.

~M

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Heh, looking at prices for me it looks like it would be a cheap 238 for me to get there. HOPING I GET THIS JOB.

Bell, I'd look at Virgin America for flights if your airport has it.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
Looking at ~$230 if I leave Friday 12/4 and fly back Sunday 12/6.
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
I'm secretly planning to go and not telling anyone, but I'm bad at keeping secrets.

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
i can throw in 50 for now.. so you muthafuckas need to get on the ball.. cuse yo.. return of "DA BELL" would be godlike son!!! FUCK WHAT YA HEARD BITCHES!!

Bell- anyways you can come back monday? if not i understand.. would be great to have ya for the weekend...cuse you too free... cuse you don't.... PRESS THE ADVANTAGE.. SIRLOIN BITCH!!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:14:58 AM by Nas »
Basically... kind of a big deal....