hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Poll

What is the desired format for regionals?

8 teams/40 players/Double-elim/$800 winner take all pot (Include Foreign and Wild Card)
16 teams/80 players/Single-elim/$1600 winner take all pot (Include Foreign and Wild Card)
8 teams/40 players/Double-elim/$800 winner take all pot (US Exclusive Exhibition)
16 teams/80 players/Single-elim/$1600 winner take all pot (US Exclusive Exhibition)
This is a dumb idea or...I have a better one!

Author Topic: Evo 2010 - Nigga's Garden: Fatal Break 3v3 @ the BYOC!  (Read 27591 times)

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
Re: Nigga's Garden X: Fatal Break 5on @ Evo
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
I respect diversity but if your region really does have 3 H-VSions to prove you are the best, then fine. CHICAGOOOOOO...!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:29:39 PM by サイレント忍@BeastCity »
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline Spidey

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • No homo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
Same char rule is cool, different moons should be counted as diff chars though. So stop crying and work it out. To many people like to ride top tier anyways.
Soko Darou

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
Who cares what they like to ride? Learn how to play against top tier then.

There is no reason you shouldn't let people rock the same character more then once or twice on a team. At all.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Chie Satonaka

• I wish I wasn´t a white person
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 25
  • STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK!
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
Fuck that 'no same character' noise, there's no point in not allowing people to run the same character on a team.

:teach:
What's the point of not letting people pick the same characters on a team, even if it's the same moon?

What's the point of LETTING people pick the same characters on a team, even if it's the same moon? Last time I checked the point of team tourneys were for character variety and complementing bad match-ups. This doesn't help if we have teams with 2 or 3 H-V.Sions, C-Mechs, F-Miyakos, (insert top or low tier character). Looking back on it, allowing same characters/different moon styles should be cool, but same characters/same moon style is pretty wack...especially for something as big as this regional battle.

Honestly, the only reason why the same character rule even work in team tourneys for MB is because no one takes the team tourneys all that seriously to begin with. This could be saved for something like a same character team tourney you guys pulled off back in EVO 08 or something.

I don't even mind if this is a 3v3 or regional battle, that's whatever. Regardless of the format though, same characters/same moon styles would be wack as hell for something big as this event can *potentially* be.
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »
This isnt a team tourny. This is a region vs region tourney to see who's da best. You feel good beating a region forcing them not to play their best? The only problem with same characters anyways is H.Vsion. Really how many people from a 'region' play the same character? Its really only Sp00ky and Nightroad. Otherwise theres quite the diversity in the scene.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »
Last time I checked the point of tournaments at all were to win, not something to use as material on my Melty match up resume.

It being 'wack as hell' isn't a valid reason to not let people run the same character, even with the same moon on the same team.

There is no real reason you should keep people from doing this.

Are you saying you and Zar play alike one another? You sure as hell don't. Big shit it's the same character.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline Spidey

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • No homo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
So much bawwing! :psyduck: I personally like the "no same char" rule, but its w/e I dont really care either way.
Soko Darou

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »
Last time I checked the point of tournaments at all were to win, not something to use as material on my Melty match up resume.

It being 'wack as hell' isn't a valid reason to not let people run the same character, even with the same moon on the same team.

There is no real reason you should keep people from doing this.

Are you saying you and Zar play alike one another? You sure as hell don't. Big shit it's the same character.

Who said anything about building up a "Melty resume"?

It being 'wack as hell' isn't a valid reason. I never said it was. My reason was because team tourneys promotes character variety and help out with bad match-ups. Unless there's another reason I'm not aware of, isn't that the biggest reason why the no same character rule is enforced in any other game you play at...at any other tournament you attend?

Where have I said anything about Zar and I playing like the same in this thread? I don't even know what you're getting at by saying that?

So much bawwing! :psyduck: I personally like the "no same char" rule, but its w/e I dont really care either way.

It's better to get something like this out of the way now as opposed to trying to solve it the month, week, or in FRXIII's case...day of the event.
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
If having 2-3 H-VSion's on a specific regional team their definition of "character variety", I don't care as long as they are the only/best to represent their sect. The ONLY thing I DO NOT approve of is switching characters. Moons are fine, I don't give a fuck.

One of the wild cards I have in mind are an all (insert character here) team so if I'm doing that, everyone else is fair game. That is the last I'm speaking on this argument.

When I get ahold of a map, I will do my best to split up the regions to a position where you will be satisfied where ever you are. I will allow Vegas to have their own team since they are the home team. So that means that NY, Cali, and Vegas have their within-state teams. I WILL ACCEPT ONE MORE AND THAT IS IT! Hopefully from the South (NC) or EC but it depends on if you niggas can discuss the matter like gentlemen. The other 12 teams will be regional which means that there MUST be atleast 2 states represented in said teams. If you have a suggestion that your state should steer away from a region, it better be good. I don't wanna hear "we beasts so we need to be our own team" shit. That's why Bama isn't making one of our own.  :'(
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline woof

• Spellcaster
  • efz kof2k ah - the trinity of woof fgs
    • View Profile
    • MISCHIEF WORKSHOP
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
d:7)

Offline Cornix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Soup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
Just a random 2 cents since I doubt I'm good enough even for the midwest illinois/ohio team or whatever it's going to be...
Yes, team events do outlaw same characters to encourage character diversity, because it needs to have some kind of limiting factor to make sure no one makes the team of 5 of the best players of the best character.
But this 'region vs region' type of tournament already has the limiting factor of region, so limiting the 'no same character' rule isn't quite as necessary as it would be if it was just a 'make a team of any 5 people you want to make a team with'.
It really depends on the spirit of the tournament I suppose on whether or not to outlaw same characters.

If you want just the straight up 5 best players from the region then allowing the same characters facilitates this, though most of the players that would be considered for these teams can play another character at a high level anyway.

A 'regular' team tourney would enforce the no same characters no problem, that's a gimme... but with a region v region type of event.. it's not really the same type of tournament and as such not quite as cut and dry as to whether to do it or not.
Edit: It's always the tournament organizer's call in the end anyway, as long as they're clear about it one way or the other at least.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:57:01 PM by Cornix »
[00:47] <Cornix> Curbeh: How does one 'go back to neutral' more?
[00:47] <Curbeh> Put it on five
[00:47] <Curbeh> FUCKING STOP TIME
----- [03:00] <jiyuna> i lost nec and i fucked 19 women that night [03:00] <jiyuna> with tears in my eyes [03:00] <jiyuna> i made them pay

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
I agree on a "no-same-character-not-even-a-different-moon" unless there isn't enough variety within a single region that would otherwise allow the creation of a full team.  In other words, if the best players in a region (however they go about deciding five members) have at least one overlapping character, they should just pick the best player for that character and pick another member who uses a different character to round out the team. 

Unless of course, there aren't enough players to make a five-man team, at which it point it should be allowed for all regions to have overlapping characters.  Moons and everything.  Like someone said earlier, it'd be a little silly to ban similar moons but not ban two of the same characters.

Which do you prefer?  Do you want the best overall players from a region, or the best overall characters from a region?

The real problem is coming up with a five-member team; something that'll probably be done (for some regions) right before EVO itself.  But at least for now let's agree upon a single format for everyone: ban all or ban none.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »

Who said anything about building up a "Melty resume"?

You are.

You're treating team tournaments like a game of bingo. Team tournaments aren't their to promote anything outside of hype for your team, and enjoyment of the game. There's no need to push for character variety. There's no need to push for anything of that sort.

It being 'wack as hell' isn't a valid reason. I never said it was.

You said that shit was wack twice, obviously you think it's a strike against it.

My reason was because team tourneys promotes character variety and help out with bad match-ups. Unless there's another reason I'm not aware of, isn't that the biggest reason why the no same character rule is enforced in any other game you play at...at any other tournament you attend?

It's some retarded rule that's gone unwritten because SRK's been riding the coat tails of Japan since forever. They don't even play for money, and you're here worrying about how much 'character variety' and 'bad match ups' you'll get out of the tournament? That's something you work on, that should never be the role of a tournament. It's a plus to gain from entering, but never it's purpose.

Where have I said anything about Zar and I playing like the same in this thread? I don't even know what you're getting at by saying that?

Who's going to rock a team of 3 F-Ciels? Are there any actual V-sion's worth mentioning outside of Spooky and nightroad at this point? Even on 3v3 this rule makes no sense. There's 85+ characters in this game and we're worrying about 3 V-Sion's? Pffft, Evo is going to be so full of upsets it'll be a midday spanish soap at this rate.

I doubt anyone who's actively been in this scene since even last August is suddenly going to turn tail and run to the 'top tier', regardless of region. Even if some wild card un heard of team does it, good. There's no need to limit anyone for who they want to play or why.

:P
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Re: Nigga's Garden X: Fatal Break 5on Regional Battle @ Evo
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 06:32:19 PM »
Don't limit people's characters, ESPECIALLY if this is a regional tournament. That's fucking dumb. You want each person's best character, best moon, and best play right for this tourney? Then don't do that shit.
what the fuck is this game

Offline woof

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • MISCHIEF WORKSHOP
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »
remander that team w/ like 5 nanayas

real talk that owned

Offline Butters

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Hype dog is hype
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »
Hrm... I live in Pittsburgh so... Does that count as midwest?

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »
remander that team w/ like 5 nanayas

real talk that owned

Wild Card team #2 nanaya team
what the fuck is this game

Offline Warpticon

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 08:46:02 PM »
south is what, southeast, midsouth, southwest (aka AZ)?

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »

Who's going to rock a team of 3 F-Ciels? Are there any actual V-sion's worth mentioning outside of Spooky and nightroad at this point? Even on 3v3 this rule makes no sense. There's 85+ characters in this game and we're worrying about 3 V-Sion's? Pffft, Evo is going to be so full of upsets it'll be a midday spanish soap at this rate.

Honestly the only reason I can see 3 *insert characters here*, if allowed would be because they were buddy buddy with each other and/or just didn't give a fuck. Sort of like how H-F and I team up at NEC9 and Mizuki/Hal teamed up. Other than that I'd ask the same thing? Who'd rock a team of 3 ANYBODY if there's...oh I dunno...only 85+ characters in the game? I wouldn't unless I intended it to be a joke or something.

This all I'm going to say about this because this is ultimately up to Shinobi and if he wants to allow same characters then that's fine, but all I'm saying is that do really we NEED to allow repeat characters since there's 85+ characters? I could see allowing repeat characters more so if this was bigger...like a 23 on 23 or something like that, but a 5 on 5? I'm still not even sure why everyone is name dropping V-Sion and Spooky/Nightroad as if I'm solely talking about them. This could apply to anybody in any region with any character. I mean, I would imagine if some region happened to run into something like multiple people playing a same character and wanting a spot they'd find a solution to see who's worthy of that spot (I.E. play for it).

Offline doren2kisDAGAWD

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
I dunno y you niggaz care anyway about this same character stuff this shit about to be fray for da dirty SOUF.  Me/brandino/shinobi/pfhor and one more random nigga.  Nobody fuxin wit the souf, that team already winz without a 5th :(

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 11:43:38 PM »
I dunno y you niggaz care anyway about this same character stuff this shit about to be fray for da dirty SOUF.  Me/brandino/shinobi/pfhor and one more random nigga.  Nobody fuxin wit the souf, that team already winz without a 5th :(

:mystery:

Offline woof

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • MISCHIEF WORKSHOP
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 11:44:45 PM »
ill be the 5th since someone has to rep lousiaiana

if voomer goes tho, ill give my spot up to let him rock instead since he deserves it more than i ever would

Offline MRHAN

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • ||*That Nero Guy*||
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
Bellhaus has got this. get tossed fools
SoCal Nero Player
Secondary: Nanaya
"Fifty told me go ahead switch the style up and if they hate, then let 'em hate, and watch the money pile up" -Kanye West

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 02:06:01 AM »
damn doren trying to troll hard...don't get it twisted.. south is solid. LIKE A BAR OF SOAP!!!!

also if peeps wanna run triple vsion.. then let em do it... ill body that shit fray then...damn why so hype!!
Basically... kind of a big deal....

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 04:11:34 AM »
Every person in the tournament has to use a different character/moon combination.  Anyone toting character variety that doesn't get behind this is a fraud.

Edit:  I'm serious.  80 people(assuming 16 teams of 5), 87 characters.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:20:46 AM by Zaelar »