hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: NorCal Ranbat @ SJSU -8/30/08-  (Read 10492 times)

Offline DJcream

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
NorCal Ranbat @ SJSU -8/30/08-
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »
Most info taken from qwerty from dustloop (too lazy to retype stuff)  :prinny:

Alright Norcal, you've been asking and now here it is. Our own special little tourney just for anime fightin' games.

We (me and the other organizers) will be at the SJSU Bowling Center at around noon to set things up, and then from 1pm to 4pm we'll be taking registration for both MB:AC and GGXX:AC (PS2) tournies. During this time there'll be setups for both games for casuals or money matches or whatever the hell you want to do (except break or steal them ).

The results of all tournies will be posted in this thread, and all players will be ranked based upon a win:loss ratio. These statistics will be kept and updated in (hopeful) future events.

As a side note, we did originally plan on a VF5 tourney as well as a 3S tourney, but there is currently not enough interest in VF5 and 3S means venue fee for freeplay on the cabinet. These are both things we want to do in the future, but for now we're just going to start small and work our way up .

Updated Schedule:
1pm-3pm: Registration for all tournies and free setups
3pm-Finish: GGXX:AC and MB:AC singles
Post tourney-1am: Free setups again

Rules:
- This should come as no surprise, but everyone must bring their own controllers. We're not going to supply sticks or controllers to anyone.
- Single brackets will be double-elimination and best of 3 rounds
- Entry fee is $3 per tourney. Pot will be split 70/20/10.
- Points will be seeded (your points will carry over to future tournies).
- Don't be an ass . We're all cool dudes who play obscure games of an obscure genre so try to keep conflict to a minimum.

Additional Info:
- Teams will only happen upon a vote.
- In case of MBAC teams, it'll be 2v2 SBO-style, with a vote for double/single elimination
- Pot split will be the same 70/20/10 and fee will be the same as singles ($3 per member).
- Teams will not be ranked

Equipment Checklist
DJcream - Laptop for MBAC, maybe TV for GGAC

Original Dustloop thread...
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5030

Sorry for the short notice. I tried to get it set for later in September but I lost that argument, 1-2. So, I guess this will be a good warmup for that American Melty the week after.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:35:12 PM by DJcream »
MBAACC1.07: C-Wlen (main), H-Hisui, C/H-Sacchin
BBCSex: Carl (main), Makoto
Gundam VS ex: God Gundam

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
Re: NorCal Ranbat @ SJSU -8/30/08-
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »
pot is 60/20/10? where does the other 10 go??

i dont like double elim teams

EDIT: and the pot distro is the same for teams??
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:53:46 PM by Dakanya~ »
thundering waterfalls

Offline Tsubasa☆

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 12
  • 2πr(θ/360)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:45 AM »
I'll see what I can do, but I already made plans for the 30th.

Hella short time slot for every tourney.
-Tsubasa

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • OKKUSENMAN! OKKUSENMAN!
  • Magic Circuits: 24
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:29:37 PM »
What the hell?  Teams?  Just do singles for ranbats.  It's going to be impossible to run all that shit in one day.
<kijea> Nerina
<kijea> can i play sex with you

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
warning: lack of attendance

don't really see people saying they're going and i've heard from a few that they cannot make the event

suggestion: rescheduling (MBAC at least, i dunno about GGAC heads)
thundering waterfalls

Offline Hotdogs McGee

• Wrestling Master
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • KEN IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »
What the hell?  Teams?  Just do singles for ranbats.  It's going to be impossible to run all that shit in one day.

srsly, plus I don't think there are enough people for a good 3v3 tourney
Mizuki: "And I think WC MBAC are faggots anyways, so what's the point?"

Apparently everyone that goes to West Toast is a faggot thanks for helping the community Mizuki

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »
warning: lack of attendance

don't really see people saying they're going and i've heard from a few that they cannot make the event

suggestion: rescheduling (MBAC at least, i dunno about GGAC heads)

Rescheduling will be fine for now, but I think this should be the only time.  If you guys are planning on running real ranbats (weeklies, bi-weeklies, or monthlies), then you can't reschedule every time certain people can't make it.
<kijea> Nerina

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 02:17:14 AM »
Who the hell is running MBAC ranbats? Certainly not the NorCal Melty Community.

If the GG community wants to come out of the proverbial closet to play some Melty, they need to man the fuck up and say so up front.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:31:31 AM »
this is actually the first time i've heard of "MBAC ranbats" in norcal
thundering waterfalls

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »
dunno, lol, but maybe DJcream has no idea what the word "ranbat" means, considering IT'S THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD THAT'S ON A FORUM FOR MELTY BLOOD.  Is this a ranbat or not?  Niggas need to make up their minds.
<kijea> Nerina

Offline DJcream

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »
dunno, lol, but maybe DJcream has no idea what the word "ranbat" means, considering IT'S THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD THAT'S ON A FORUM FOR MELTY BLOOD.  Is this a ranbat or not?  Niggas need to make up their minds.
Well here's my take on this. Originally I was told by Qwerty and Starkill (the people who are runnin' the GG side of the tourney) to ask get MB on board for their "grand tournament". Since I'm younger than the both of them, I don't hold as much influence (gee, no surprise). As much as I told them that 1 weeks notice isn't the smartest thing in the world, they're still going to run with it. Since I can't seem to tell them what to do, I guess I'll just bend their rules a bit...

1) Registration from 12-4pm is bullshit. Knowing how people are, they'll just show up the last hour anyways so why waste time? I want people to register by 2pm so we can get this shit started.

2) 3v3 Teams is also retarded, unless we get like 24 heads to fill a bracket. I think it's smarter to just run 2v2s. In addition, I don't think these guys would know to give a ranbat points in team tourneys anyways...

3) Pot 60% / 20% / 10% sounds really suspicious to me. Unless they tell me where that last 10% is going (and if it benefits the MBAC side of things) then I'd refuse to give up that remaining 10%.

4) Single-elim for singles is stupid. We got all day to run double-elim brackets because MBAC doesn't take as long as lets say CvS2 or freakin' Smash Brawl. In addition, I'm sure we can get multiple laptop setups. As for teams, I'm not so sure about that. I may keep it at single elim unless numbers say otherwise.

Anyways, that's my opinion on the tournament. And for all who attend the MBAC side of the tournament, you all have my word that I will follow through on those 4 points. Once qwerty and them figure out that I decided to run shit a little differently, they might not invite me to run another tournament I really don't give a damn. As long as I get to run a tournament to sits well with the people who attend and with myself, I can sleep easy. After all, I'm thinkin' about transferin' to SJSU next year anyways so it's not like they're going to hold me back academically anyways.

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Doesn't like 20% just pay back your entry fee? Make it 70/30/10, and if your using 10 percent for the venue, just make an entrance fee instead.
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
The pot split on the dustloop thread says 60/30/10, although it should just be the usual 70/20/10.
<kijea> Nerina

Offline qwerty

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • fat gay jew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
there seems to be quite a bit of confusion over this, and most of it is admittedly my fault. but, let's make a few things clear:

1. nobody is in any way trying to profit from this. the original posting of 60/20/10 was a typo and i fixed that in the original post on dl. it's 60/30/10 split among the top three ranking players. some want winner take all and some want 70/20/10, but for now we're doing 60/30/10 (not like you're coming out with a fortune either way).

2. we gave a generous registration period because we know that people will run late or their schedule will be otherwise compromised somehow. we don't want to allow people to sign up late either because that will just unessecarily complicate things. as for the reason we don't want to hold signups all day, it's actually rather simple-we don't have enough staff to do it while simultaneously watching equipment and running brackets.

3. one hour might not seem like enough to run your average tourney, and it isn't. but given the collective interest of meltybread, dustloop and srk (see: none), i would be surprised if any tournament ran much longer than that. i know (or hope, at least) that there will be people confirming on friday night, and if suddenly everyone in the norcal scene says they're coming we'll change the schedule accordingly (not by too much though, so if you plan just to come to mbac singles or whatever they'll still start at the same time). keep in mind that this is the first real attempt at garnering an actual, consistent scene in norcal, and that when (or if) we hold the next one in september, changes will be made accordingly.

4. the date wasn't chosen arbitrarily; i posted in the norcal thread on dustloop and nobody there had any objections and the poll here on mb showed that most of you were down for any time. either way, i'd personally like for everyone interested to confirm their status whether they're going or not so we can get a decent estimate on turnout.

5. i wasn't the one who came up with the idea of teams, but starkill said he'd like to. and again, given how few people have confirmed, we're still in no real position to adjust anything. those timeslots were originally intended for vf5 and 3s, but for reasons already stated, we're not hosting those.

6. we wouldn't call it a ranbat if we weren't scoring players based on points :psyduck:. it's almost insulting to think that people would say things like that (though in the original post i did say it was based on win:loss, but that was just a :teach: explanation of it).

7. i don't mind djcream's changes at all. i just hope that you all remember that your signups end early.

if there's any other questions, post them here.

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
keep in mind that this is the first real attempt at garnering an actual, consistent scene in norcal

....What?

Offline qwerty

• Apprentice
  • fat gay jew
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
for accent core at least. don't know about you melty guys.

i just wanted to assert that i'm serious about making this something worthwhile and that i'm not just fucking around like some people here think i am.

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »
Qwerty, I'm not the most experienced tournament runner, but... have you ever run a tournament before?  I appreciate the efforts you're making here, but you don't seem to be too experienced in the ways of running a tournament.
<kijea> Nerina

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 03:24:06 AM »
From the limited information I see(which is just this thread because I'm too lazy to check elsewhere) the only problems that I see are not running both games at the same time(which there are good reasons to do, but I don't know if that's why), and the 1 hour timeframe for double-elim teams might go over.  The 1 hour time frame is fine for a small single elim tournament.  If you get 2 setups you're good, and a third might even make double-elim teams fit.  There is plenty of time to take away from casuals at the end if things go over, but it does push back start times of the next event if they do(or you could run both at the same time).  I'm assuming you're getting no more than 16 people for each tournament with those timeframes, or you have a lot of setups.  MB matches take a long time, especially teams because it takes longer to setup controls compared to most other games(specifically gg which is one of the fastest).  It's usually not as long as cvs2, but some games make it seem like it is.

All of the rules aren't mentioned.  I'm not sure if they are on dustloop, but they should always be announced and clear.  How are teams being handled?  Are matches one game, 2/3, 3/5?  Explain in detail how ranbat points work, and how seeding will be done with them(if it is).  Is turbo allowed?

I'm more worried about DJcream's tournament running abilities than qwerty's at this point.  While both seem inexperienced, DJ comes off as a whiny child while qwerty seems like he's putting some thought into this.

Offline qwerty

• Apprentice
  • fat gay jew
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
From the limited information I see(which is just this thread because I'm too lazy to check elsewhere) the only problems that I see are not running both games at the same time(which there are good reasons to do, but I don't know if that's why), and the 1 hour timeframe for double-elim teams might go over.  The 1 hour time frame is fine for a small single elim tournament.  If you get 2 setups you're good, and a third might even make double-elim teams fit.  There is plenty of time to take away from casuals at the end if things go over, but it does push back start times of the next event if they do(or you could run both at the same time).  I'm assuming you're getting no more than 16 people for each tournament with those timeframes, or you have a lot of setups.  MB matches take a long time, especially teams because it takes longer to setup controls compared to most other games(specifically gg which is one of the fastest).  It's usually not as long as cvs2, but some games make it seem like it is.

we're going to have three setups for each game (depending on how many mbac players bring their laptops, maybe even more), and we'll be using all at once to run brackets. we will be running both games at once, contrary to the post here.

on a somewhat related note, one of the ggac setups will be a 22" monitor made possible by a $80 transcoder i'm buying with my own money just for this. so if any of you still think that we're trying to steal a whole ten percent of the pot, feel free to come this saturday; and if you rank high enough to get anything, i want you to count every bit of your earnings. if you come up even a dollar short of what you should get, feel free to steal my monitor, ps2, transcoder and speakers (and they're a fairly nice altec lansing 2.1 set too).

All of the rules aren't mentioned.  I'm not sure if they are on dustloop, but they should always be announced and clear.  How are teams being handled?  Are matches one game, 2/3, 3/5?  Explain in detail how ranbat points work, and how seeding will be done with them(if it is).  Is turbo allowed?

this has all been changed in accordance with the feedback we've been getting, and the ruleset on dustloop has been updated.

I'm more worried about DJcream's tournament running abilities than qwerty's at this point.  While both seem inexperienced, DJ comes off as a whiny child while qwerty seems like he's putting some thought into this.

as a response to this statement and spirit juice's question, i have little experience in the way of hosting. i've helped crap tournies at annie may cons, but nothing on this scale. starkilled is the most experienced of our group, having held tournies in the stockton area before.

and just so you all know, the information in the original post here is obsolete. don't use this thread as a reference until djcreamy updates it. for now, use this thread: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=293094#post293094
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:51:04 PM by qwerty »

Offline DJcream

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 11:36:47 PM »
Updated the rules. Sorry for acting like a punk but I've patched things up between myself and the rest of the guys. Anyways, hope to see a lot of entries on Saturday and hopefully I'll have enough free time because I hear SJSU gots that Street Fighter IV in.

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:08 PM »
Please post if you are going.
NERINA IS A MURDERER

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 10:49:36 PM »
I'm not posting.
<kijea> Nerina

Offline jocund

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »
Dae: Nice try Tom you did your best!
Tom: I'm going to punch you!

Yukio Sumadera (12:50:54 AM): cause Dizzy is hot ABigStrongAsian (12:50:56 AM): lol Yukio Sumadera (12:51:13 AM): and Bridget is......appealing Yukio Sumadera (12:53:00 AM): Roll Casket though.....now that....i would hit anyday

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:48 AM »
If AJ goes, I may go just to give him his shit. It's been sitting in my trunk since EVO...

...And of course AJ is going cause he likes the sound of easy money...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:57:13 AM by Naru »

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »
I'll go if dev lets me stay at his house. :V
NERINA IS A MURDERER