When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: West Toast XV - Pre-tourney Discussion  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • DP > Whatever you're doing
    • View Profile
West Toast XV - Pre-tourney Discussion
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
So...

I want to hold another West Toast. Work and school were kicking my ass, making me really not wanting to go through all that work again. However, I think now's a good time to start getting things ready for WTXV!

This thread is here to help discuss good dates, schedules, getting people to help run it, etc. I'm going to point out a few things and I want you all to chime in on what you think.

Timing:
When do we hold the tournament?
College schedule is a big deal; most of you (as well as myself) attend college, so I want to make sure to at least avoid Finals/Mid-terms.
I also want it to coincide with releases for games. Actress Again comes out for PC in December, as well as the JP version of BBCS2+, so it'll have to be sufficient time after Dec.
I would like the tournament to take place on a Saturday and a Sunday if possible.

Games:
The main four I would like to include are:
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Extend
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code
Arcana Heart 3

-We'd run two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday if that will work.

I'd also like to have a bunch of side games, which I'd need people to help me run.
FFA has the arcade boards for a lot of fighting games that you wouldn't expect (Hokuto no Ken, Vampire Savior, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, etc.), so if any of you would love to host something, point it out.

Last time there was also a problem of recording games, a lot of it was my fault, the drivers went out on the laptop I was bringing and I wasn't able to use my recording software :psyduck:

The rules are pretty fine as they are, but I might as well post them up in here for discussion.

(10/29):
Pending Rules:

BlazBlue Continuum Shift II Extend:
Double Elimination Bracket, 2/3 Matches, 2/3 Rounds
Double-blind character selection available on request.
Winners must keep same character, losers may counter pick.
To be held on PS3 (JP disc). If the arcade has the game as an arcade board and the PS3 version is not out/not available, we will hold the tournament on the arcade. If the PS3 version is available we will run the tournament on PS3 (unless the PS3 has some bugs or unforeseeable arcade imperfect qualities).
All characters (including Relius) are legal. Unlimited Characters will not be allowed.
In-game glitches are allowed as long as they do not "break" the game (i.e. characters float off the screen, disappear, the game crashes, etc.).
If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round with a new stick. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.
If the player accidently pauses in the middle of the game, they will forfeit that round (we can look the other way if it was in the middle of a super animation).

Guilty Gear XX Λ Core:
Winners must keep same character, losers may counter pick.
All characters are tournament legal.
Game will be held in Arcade. The arcade cabinet has PS2 ports, so you can plug in your PS2 controller (button layout: Square=Punch, Triangle=Slash, Circle=H. Slash, X=Kick).
In-game glitches are allowed as long as they do not "break" the game (i.e. characters float off the screen, disappear, the game crashes, etc.).
If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round after dealing with the problem. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.

Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code v1.07:
Winners must keep same character (but may change moon styles, selecting before the opponent chooses their moon style), losers may counter pick.
All characters are tournament legal.
Game will be held on arcade. I will be working on setting up a PS2 port, but there is no guarantee I can get it to work. If PC version is available, we may hold it on PC (undecided).
If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round after dealing with the problem. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.

Arcana Heart 3:
Winners must keep same character (but may change arcana), losers may counter pick.
To be held on PS3 (JP disc).
All characters are legal.
If a button or stick problem occurs, stop playing and notify the tournament organizer immediately (even before your round is over). We will restart the round with a new stick. Abuses of this system will cause a forfeit of the match.
If the player accidently pauses in the middle of the game, they will forfeit that round (we can look the other way if it was in the middle of a super animation).

I'll update and reply accordingly!

mirrored on Dustloop and Homingcancel
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:33:57 PM by Id_asz »
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;
(818) 360-0419 BB:Carl; MB:Ciel; AH:Akane; GG:Baiken

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
Re: West Toast XV - Pre-tourney Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
A lot of people have obligations around the holidays, but also have time off.  However, since CC is coming out in late December, and access for the game probably won't happen until mid-January through America, it would probably be best to host a major event in late January. 

That way students can get settled back in to school, families and other people are done and everyone is on their normal work schedules, and you're months away from any sort of final/mid-term. 

I don't know about West Coast, but on east coast majors are usually held a couple weeks before the holidays, and in February.  I don't know why it's done this way because this always means a tournament right before finals and right before midterms (probably because it's cheaper to host majors around that time). 

But I digress, because Final Round is happening in early March and we want as much of WC to attend as possible, I recommend you set the date in mid-late January.  There are some issues still yet to come to past with the accessibility of Current Code (and MB players just won't know until it happens).  Give everyone at least 2 weeks after it's release to kinda settle into it and see what happens. 

Of course, WC has current code arcade cabs, so if you guys upgrade to v1.07 (which can be done now/I haven't the slightest idea if you have or not already)), than none of that is a problem. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:17:20 PM by Komidol »
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
I was thinking late January/early February.

FFA doesn't have 1.07 yet, but it's coming soon, and we'll definitely get it before it comes out on PC. We're still having local tournaments for MB, so that'll promote 1.07 play.

BBCS2+ comes out on JP PS3 mid December, so I think that late Jan works well.
I've got a guy from the Dustloop forums who's interested in running the BB part for me.

Also, it's most likely that we will have side tournaments for:
Vampire Savior
Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters

If anybody would like to help run any of these (main, side, or unmentioned), let me know. I'd appreciate the help!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:42:50 PM by Id_asz »
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
So as far as grouping goes, I was wanting two main events on Sat and two main events on Sun. But which games should they be?

I was thinking:
Day 1:
Guilty Gear
BlazBlue
Day 2:
Melty Blood
Arcana Heart

However, it might be better to have Guilty Gear and BlazBlue separated so that people don't just show up for one day. Or to not have Melty Blood on the last day in case people have to leave to go back to their home state.

I'd appreciate some input from you guys!

Also, if you guys want to hold some other doujin fighter tournaments, that would be awesome!
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:52:16 AM »
-Looks like the best date will be Jan 21-22. Any objections?

Current game listing:

Main:
BlazBlue Continuum Shift II Extend
-Raptor
Guilty Gear XX Λ Core
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code v1.07
Arcana Heart 3

Side:
Vampire Savior: The Lord of the Vampire
-Rotanibor?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
-SLEDGE