When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Under Night In-Birth  (Read 305070 times)

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
Re: So apparently that game French Bread were making...
« Reply #575 on: February 18, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
Seeing as how he can combo into it, I'm guessing Gordeau has a c-grab.

I was about to say the same thing. He even has an EX version of it, so it's confirmed. But it seems to be a c-grab that doesn't give much; mediocre damage and relatively normal oki. Maybe Gordeau's the real grappler character. He has lots of moves with throw properties and they reach almost the entire screen! Also, anyone else notice that he always keeps one hand in his pocket and only takes it out for his c-grab?

Teching gives a boost of GRD, about half a unit or more.

It seems like even A normals OTG relaunch. I think instead of Melty's OTG system where selective moves relaunch, all moves relaunch now, ala BB.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen any indication of invalid hits. All combos in these videos can't be valid, can they? Found it. When the tech timer turns red, it's invalid.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:06:29 AM by BurstOfAnger »
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 18, 2012, 11:57:44 PM »
Gordeau's command grab depletes like 2 GRD from the enemy.  In essence, it's a free hard knockdown that weakens the enemy, and you can apparently combo into it from long range thanks to that pull-in scythe special he has. (I guess that means you can grab aerial opponents with it?)

Gordeau is pretty stylin.  Of the playable characters, he looks most appealing to play right now.  Can't wait for the others to debut.  I want Vatista action.  Also Carmne would be so bullshit if he didn't lose life with his specials.  lol.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 19, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »
Holy crap how did I not notice the GRD meter! Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like quite a deadly move if GRD proves to be significant in increasing attack and defense.

EDIT: After checking the videos properly, it only removes 1 GRD. Also, I notice that at the start of some rounds, one player gains GRD faster than the other, but only sometimes. GRD seems like a really fragile and dynamic game mechanic...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:52:02 AM by BurstOfAnger »

Offline Sahgren

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 19, 2012, 12:53:39 AM »
It's looking like there isn't any special mechanic for encroaching on the opponent's half of the GRD bar. It's just that if a unit is empty, then either side is free to take it.

Gordeau's c-grab also seems to give him the GRD that it drains from the opponent.

Wald's damage seems low even on the supers, at least compared to the grapplers of other games. His Veil Off > Grab Super did 4.4k damage, which looked really high until I saw that Orie combo'd into her 200 meter super to add 5k.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:01:58 AM by Sahgren »

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 19, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »
I agree, Waldstein's damage output isn't very grappler-like, meaning that he still has to rely on combos for proper damage output like the rest of the cast. That's something which French Bread did that I like; no bullshit half-health reversals.

Also, Veil-Off seems to remove ALL GRD of the opponent if they get hit by it. Waldstein did it to Gordeau.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 19, 2012, 02:22:34 AM »
Wald's grabs also hit from quarter screen.  Would you really want a character with a super grab that hits instantly, from that kind of range, that does half health or more damage?  Besides, if you look at everyone's veil off, only Orie has that ridiculously inflated damage.  Everyone else seems around 4k mark.

Sahgren, are you sure about Gordeau's command grab giving him the drained GRD?  I was paying attention for that specifically, and I didn't see it.  The GRD loss happens when shoves his hand in, but he didn't get any GRD at that point, or at any time later in the move. 
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 19, 2012, 02:38:38 AM »
That sounds like a long-range Kouma lol. But so far Waldstein's c-grabs are around 2k, even his super grab, and they all seem counterable. It's just his Infinite Worth that reaches 4k. For an ultimate move, personally I think he deserves that instant damage if not more.

I too saw Gordeau's c-grab drain that GRD into his own.

I'm thinking that the more GRDs you have, the longer it takes for it to naturally fill up.

It's looking like there isn't any special mechanic for encroaching on the opponent's half of the GRD bar. It's just that if a unit is empty, then either side is free to take it.

But it's not entirely free. It seems that GRD units encroaching on the other side slowly drain away.

As far as I can tell, when you're in GRD Vorpal, your GRD fills up slower. Even when in Concentration, it doesn't seem to fill up any faster.

EDIT: Here's some of the Engrish listed on the character profile on the loading screens:

HYDE - Void Red
His ability, spitting out from the dusky-red aura ****
Grab defensive strength against ****
Officially there is no darkness, only the realization of just this hidden ****

ORIE - Tanatos
Her ability to image of her "innocence embodied in" The ability to summon a magical doll barrel.
Guardian knowing the impurities are innocent, her wish not allow any interference to the desired.

GORDEAU - Bander Snatch
His ability, to realize the hands of his own greed.
Claw-like beast that stretched miss the game and longer
Together with scythe weapon in his "Harvester" has been dubbed with a solid barrel.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:33:14 AM by BurstOfAnger »

Offline Meseki

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 19, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
Did anyone realize that the timer is faster than real-time?  It takes about 75-76 seconds for the 99.99 'second' timer to run out from what I've seen, so that's about 33% faster than real-time.

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 19, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »
Lmfao those descriptions are gold
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline Sahgren

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
Sahgren, are you sure about Gordeau's command grab giving him the drained GRD?  I was paying attention for that specifically, and I didn't see it.  The GRD loss happens when shoves his hand in, but he didn't get any GRD at that point, or at any time later in the move.

Yeah, it's when he yanks his hand out. It's best seen in the Gordeau vs Waldstein video; the only problem is that the guy is spending a lot of time under the penalty that keeps him from gaining GRD, so it isn't happening at those portions.

Happens twice in a row here, at the end of round 3.

Offline deice

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 19, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
EDIT: It's chipping on my patience to know what GRD Vorpal actually is, so anyone with good moonspeak skills, please lend a hand. Taken from the info site:

Code: [Select]
GRD(グラインドゲージ)
 あまり似たのは見ないバランスゲージ。作中設定ではGrind(ぐらいんど…研ぎ澄ます、みたいな意味)から、
 場における両者の気の満ち方、みたいなニュアンスで捉えて欲しい。
 このGRDを元に、一定間隔ごとに「どちらが優勢かの判断」が下され、
 優勢な方は「Vopal(う゛ぉーぱる …鋭いみたいな意味だと思いねぇ)」という状態になり
 攻撃力・防御力等でメリットが発生する。流れに乗って攻めろ。

The most I can decipher from that (from Google Translate) is that it occurs at set intervals, about every 14-15 seconds, and 7 times in a round (from videos). Each time it happens, it gives an attack and defense boost to one of the players, depending on how advantageous or disadvantageous they are at the moment. As far as I can tell, the first two times are granted to the advantageous player, the rest of the times are for the disadvantageous player. Please clarify?
The japanese doesn't really explain much. Says that there's this GRD "Grind Gauge". At set intervals its judged who is winning on GRD gauge, and the leader gets "Vorpal" status effect, which increases "attack / defense / etc". "Rise on the momentum and attack".

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 19, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »
EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your post properly. So it's entirely decided on GRD? No wonder the player with noticably lower health gets Vorpal sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:15:09 PM by BurstOfAnger »

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 19, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Lmfao those descriptions are gold
Seriously.  Frenchbread is continuously one-upping themselves.  Screw localization, they should just translate their whole game's dialogue into English first-hand.

Yeah, it's when he yanks his hand out. It's best seen in the Gordeau vs Waldstein video; the only problem is that the guy is spending a lot of time under the penalty that keeps him from gaining GRD, so it isn't happening at those portions.

Happens twice in a row here, at the end of round 3.
Ah, I see.  Guess the couple I was actually paying attention to he was grd frozen.  Good shit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:14:39 PM by LoliSauce »
---

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
I didn't think of this the moment it was pointed out to me, but if GRD Vorpal is the one that grants the attack/defense boost, then it isn't every GRD unit that gives a boost. That makes more sense.

Which makes Gordeau all the more dangerous now. So far, in these matches, he almost always manages to have his GRD cross the middle line. Of course, they weren't proper matches per se, but still, it could be a valid strategy to keep stealing GRD to ensure you always have Vorpal.

Offline Sahgren

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 19, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
Huh, if it really is GRD Vorpal giving the offense/defense boost and not just a static bonus from GRD in general, then GRD seems less crazy. It's more worrying about having more than the opponent rather than worrying about every point.

Gordeau and his GRD stealing c-grab is just that more terrifying if that's true. It seems like it'd be really hard to take momentum from him if gets Vorpal.

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »
Huh, if it really is GRD Vorpal giving the offense/defense boost and not just a static bonus from GRD in general, then GRD seems less crazy. It's more worrying about having more than the opponent rather than worrying about every point.

Gordeau and his GRD stealing c-grab is just that more terrifying if that's true. It seems like it'd be really hard to take momentum from him if gets Vorpal.

Funny that this is a paraphrase of what I just said lol. Great minds think alike.

Offline Sahgren

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 19, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »

Funny that this is a paraphrase of what I just said lol. Great minds think alike.

Yeah, I really should've read what you said more closely. Sorry about that.

I can't really tell how much Vorpal has an effect right now, but it doesn't seem like very much. Orie having Vorpal rather than her opponent meant that the same combo do 2k instead of 1.9k. Oops, looks like it's more in the order of a 400 damage drop, from 2.4k to 2k, in between Orie having Vorpal and Linne having Vorpal. That's a bit more than I originally thought.

(What I'm assuming to be) A attacks also seem to prorate more strongly than in MB. One 2As lead into 2.4k per combo with Orie, two 2As lead into 2k, whereas 3+ dropped her damage to ~1.5k.

Three more videos. Ok, technically 1 match video and 2 videos of someone recording the standard demo play that occurs when noone is using the machine. We can still get info off of them.

Orie vs Waldstein and Orie vs Hyde
Nobody Touching The Machine 1
Nobody Touching The Machine 2

I may have to rethink my assumption that 2As prorate more strongly than in MB. It may just be that GRD does just give a static bonus to offense/defense (like it was originally translated) and that's messing with the damage rather than the 2As.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:40:54 PM by Sahgren »

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 20, 2012, 04:05:30 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvUIXv7qTUY&feature=related

Has this been linked? Orie vs Hyde x2 games.

EDIT: A revelation!!

From seconds 99 to 85, the damage counters do not show plus damage in blue nor minus damage in red. These are only shown after that time. And GRD Vorpal is granted for the first time at around 85 seconds.

Not only that, here is a sample of the combo indicator when Waldstein does his SPD on Orie in one of the matches while he is in GRD Vorpal:

1st hit: 840 damage (white) ~ 700 (white) + 140 (blue)

2nd hit: 2629 damage (white) ~ 2191 (white) + 438 (blue)

It seems that we've been mistaken all along. The damage counter doesn't show the damage from the previous attack + damage from the current attack to show the total damage dealt so far because obviously, if that were the case, the damage counter would show 2629 damage (white) ~ 840 (white) + 1789 (blue) instead. Therefore, I believe that the plus damage shown in blue is the damage bonus from GRD Vorpal! Not too sure about the red minus damage though. I still believe it's from damage reduction by mashing, because it only happens occasionally.

With that said, yes, GRD Vorpal does add a significant amount of damage. About 20%. That's not something to scoff at.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:44:35 PM by BurstOfAnger »

Offline arvy

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • Strawberry Häagen-Dazs®
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 20, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
The more I see about this game. The more I love it. I can't wait for those 2 new ones footage.

Offline Forte Wily

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • Buster Style Master
    • View Profile
Silence, calm, and the right aim...
 "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." - Bruce Lee

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 21, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
I'm guessing it's the same as Melty. Normal counter for countering normals, High Counter for countering specials.

Offline Sahgren

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 22, 2012, 01:08:58 AM »
The next loktest will reportedly be held on February 25th and 26th.

I'll admit, that's sooner than I was expecting. Unfortunately, it doesn't say if it'll be a different build from what was shown at AOU.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:13:12 AM by Sahgren »

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
Doesn't matter. There'll be more vids. Unless they ban recording. Then that would suck.

I doubt it'll be a different build. The gap between AOU and this is too small.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:18:45 AM by BurstOfAnger »

Offline Sahgren

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 22, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
Impressions of the AOU build. I don't think there's anything new here, but just in case.

What I got (via Google Translate) from it:
-Veil Off requires that you have at least 100 EXS to start.
-Throws are A+B instead of A+D. No shield/tech OS like in MB.
-Seems like you need a CH to OTG someone... or something. They say that Orie and Gordeau in particular want to fish for CHs. Uncertain about this; I'd appreciate it if someone else could translate.
-Feedback is largely positive.
-Something about "Fukitobi Return" and "Passive Slam". I'm not quite certain what those are.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:03:06 PM by Sahgren »

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 22, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
I think "Fukitobi Return" is teching/recovering because it says something about moving the lever (stick) and pressing a button and "Passive Slam" is damage reduction by mashing because it mentions pressing (and holding??) buttons on the "slammed moment" by Google translate.

Damnit, throws are gonna confuse me since A+B is dash in Melty.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:25:51 PM by BurstOfAnger »