hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Counterhit and combo weakening over time  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
Counterhit and combo weakening over time
« on: April 17, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »
Ok so I have 2 damage questions.

First of all, do counterhits add damage? It seems they do from the fact that my combos can do several hundred more damage when I start them with a counterhit j.C for characters like Kouma, then into their normal BnB. Also, when I'm playing against the computer Kohaku, twice now I've been counterhit by EX Molotovs, and they've done well over 3800, once hitting around 4100 damage. I'm fairly sure it shouldn't ever do over 4000 alone, but it did when I got counterhit right in the middle of it. Still, I'm not sure and I just wanted to check since even given I was right in the middle of the EX Molotov, I've never thought a single EX could hit over 4000 damage without being part of a combo.

Also, I don't think anyone's really observed this before, since it's so impractical, but when I'm in practice and working on a combo a part at a time, I noticed that as you do a combo over and over, it weakens. For example, I was working on Sion's Cutting Sync resets, while leaving out the 2A 2A at the beginning, and I noticed that I would do the first part of the loop for like 2500, then they fall down, get up, and I start the combo over, the second time it would drop to like 2100 with nothing else changed, then it would go to like 1600, and it kept dropping. Once I started the combo off with 2A 2A, it immediately went back to full damage. Actually, now that I think about it, it could be Reverse Beat penalty, but just wanted to make sure, since I didn't know Reverse Beat penalty could carry over between combos.

Offline Twinniss

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Counterhit and combo weakening over time
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »
Yes Counter Hits do add more damage and stun(im pretty sure it adds more stun)

critical hits can help deal more damage so check that, and as you said if you have a reverse beat in your combo then that can drastically deal less damage. I'm not sure bout the reverse beat carrying over though
Words of a wise man
[20:13] <@bellreisa> with practice mode you can turn 10% into 100%

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=232643&p=8761841&viewfull=1#post8761841 "For Instance, Cammy's strong kick(crouch) is two frames, because it takes almost 2 seconds to do"

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:44:31 PM »
Reverse beats do not carry over for a combo reset.

I noticed that as you do a combo over and over, it weakens.

I'm not sure what's going on with your combo exactly (If I had to guess I woulds say random invalid combos, proration, or critical hits) but to be clear, this statement is 100% false.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:00:58 PM by Devereaux »

Offline YAT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 23
  • ふぁ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »
turn on "Attack Display" in training mode and practice, you should understand how Reverse Beat works fairly quickly
タマッチーーーーーーーーン オナに オナニ ンンヌキッ センズリィィィィィィィィィ コリ☆コリ☆コリ☆コリ☆コリ☆コリ☆コリ☆コリ ピュウウウウウウウウウウ! ぽてちん

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:26:03 AM »
Reverse beats DO carry over through combos, it's just that for the most part you won't be doing combos where that happens.  As sync says, turning on attack display and doing some reverse beats will show you how it works quickly.

If the combo you were practicing has several reverse beats in it that seems like the prime candidate as to why you're getting less damage each time.  If you have critical hits on that could cause some fluctuation but it shouldn't be that severe.

Also, counter-hits don't cause extra damage, but they do cause extra hit stun.  You can't air tech at all after a counter-hit.  I'm not sure whats up with molotovs, but I'm guessing it's something like getting more hits in due to the extra hit stun.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:33:05 AM by Zaelar »