When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Asphyxiation Hijinx  (Read 3811 times)

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
Asphyxiation Hijinx
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »
It appears that a crafty sort can abuse larger hostile hitboxes with Aquiha's lovely Arc Drive and get a grab where none is possible.  The first one I noticed was Sion's whip, which can reach half the screen.  Timed properly, an AD can snatch Sion by the whip.  :teach:

So what other unusual hitboxes can be abused in this manner?

~M

Offline faight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Asphyxiation Hijinx
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:25:01 PM »
This actually seems to work with most command throws. I'm a Kouma player, and he can do the same thing with his command throw/
ex command throw/Arc Drive. Luckily with him he doesn't have to have meter to do a command grab, so it's much more useful to him.

Try it with the following:

Warachia 5C/2C
Nero 5B/2B (2B has weird hit boxes)
Akiha 2C

Really any long ranged physical poke can be grabbed, it sort of reminds me of Gief in SF2 except you don't take off 25%+ in one throw. I didn't know about the whip, but then again the only thing I play is the computer. However, I've taken to punishing whiffs with 214A~4 with Kouma, which is great if my back is close to the wall because then I get a follow up.

I assume this limb grabbing technique would serve Kouma and WLen the best, since they have extremely fast start up command grabs, but knowing it with Akiha/VAkiha is good too because their arc drives are pretty good, but you'll have to have damn good timing and reflexes to pull it off. You'd probably be better off learning how to Bunker in to the arc, since it has the same limb grabbing effects unless your throw startup is too slow and you get grabbed. I do it with Kouma pretty consistently now, and I don't mind wasting 50% meter to get potentially 3-4k damage and a okizeme (haha, okizeme with Kouma, that's fresh).

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:32:38 PM »
Nero's 2C and Kohaku's 5B too.

The AI opponent swung it towards me, I AD'ed, Akiha literally grabbed them and cremated them  :slowpoke:
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline faight

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:41:14 PM »
Nero's 2C and Kohaku's 5B too.

The AI opponent swung it towards me, I AD'ed, Akiha literally grabbed them and cremated them  :slowpoke:

Anything that sticks out should be grabbable (is that even a real word?) it seems. I'm going to try this out with normal grabs, but for some reason I don't see it having much success. I know you can bunker into a grab, but it doesn't seem to come out as fast as command grab and doesn't have the damage or follow up potential for Kouma, so I never really explored it. Maybe it's good for people who can follow up grabs with awesomeness.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 09:44:02 PM »
Anything that sticks out should be grabbable (is that even a real word?) it seems. I'm going to try this out with normal grabs, but for some reason I don't see it having much success. I know you can bunker into a grab, but it doesn't seem to come out as fast as command grab and doesn't have the damage or follow up potential for Kouma, so I never really explored it. Maybe it's good for people who can follow up grabs with awesomeness.

I swear if I've just augmented the irritating sacchin arm of fury...

~M

Offline faight

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 09:50:05 PM »

I swear if I've just augmented the irritating sacchin arm of fury...

~M

Eh, I don't like Satsuki much, but it seems like the normal versions of her throws aren't that fast, meaning it would be hard to react to various pokes like that, and she'd have to burn meter to get a grab off that wasn't guaranteed. Besides that, half the time it's probably better to dash in and try to hit them before they recover. This technique seems it's only good to catch your opponent off guard and train them to stop whiffing long range moves or land that bigass AD for massive surprise damage (go go mashed Akiha AD).

Offline Qaenyin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
Its easiest with Kouma's 214C because it has a lot of inv frames and long reach.  But yes, you can grab someone out of anything that sticks out as far as I know, provided you don't get hit out of your throw.