When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Combo/Strats Thread  (Read 47138 times)

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
Re: Combo/Strats Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »
I used the keyboard hack and tried out yet. Still whiffs in the corner. 2P corner is just weird.
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
Fuzzy Guard
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/rIEYSKwnZZc"
^I got bored today and found this out. I'm pretty sure this isn't new, but whatever.

Only seems to work on Nero. Comboing after the second j.C that is. I actually tried it doing this fuzzy guard setup on Warachia before Nero, and it didn't work. Then on Nero and it did. I think against Warachia you need to reverse beat j.A later then compared to when you do it on Nero, but I haven't had success with doing so. You already have to delay your reverse beat on Nero, so either it's much more difficult or just not possible.

Oh yea, works everywhere. Midscreen too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:21:48 PM by KenjiX »

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
More Fuzzy Guarding
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2008, 06:59:42 PM »
Okay, actually you can get this working on Warakia, but the timing is different, which is why I never got it until after my last post. I have a much higher success rate of getting this on both him and Nero now, since I realized it's more about getting the proper jump-in height with jAC than timing the jA reverse beat.

Also, there's another fuzzy guard setup, which I should of realized right away since it's similar to Ciel's:

Deep jAC -> land -> jC

It's character specific. I haven't checked it on everyone, but it should work on whoever you can block jAC (the jC whiffs on some characters). Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to combo afterwards with this fuzzy guard like the other one I mentioned, which would make Miyako's jump-in mixup with jAC even more deadly. After the second jC, your up too high for air dashes or jump cancels to help you combo. Trying to reverse beat with jA just ends up being a frametrap instead. This is pretty good though cuz it's hard to punish head-on outside of a Heat, good reversal, Circuit Spark, or Bara cancel (after jC), though she can punish all of that. The easiest way to avoid it is either to block jA and whatever else comes after it, or if you want get a better position, you can remain crouching after getting hit by fuzzy jC and duck jA, and then air throw or ex shield anything that comes after it, but it depends. She can counter anything you can do, if she guesses right.

Watch me do this when your about to die.  :psyduck:

Offline Kryojenix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
any chance we can get all the important tidbits condensed into the first post?  all the middle pages crash my browser for some reason.
y'all niggaz is gay

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »
Try viewing the printable version of this thread: http://www.meltybread.com/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=67.0

BTW, some mod plz delete this thread.

Offline Atiba

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »
ok guys i'm new to the combo language i'm see  :-[

what does "CH" stand for?
and
what does "TH" stand for?
 :slowpoke:

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »
CH is counter hit. TH i dunno. I would assume Throw.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline Atiba

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2008, 03:21:24 PM »
Thank for the reply Tempered
Another question for you guys
In this combo
1) 236A -> 6A wallslam combo (corner)
[2A x 2/j.B or j.C]5B, 6B, 2B, 2C x delayed 236A -> 6A, 5B, 2B, jA, jC, jc., jB, jC x airthrow

What is meant by [2A x 2/j.B or j.C]?????

is it [crouching A cancel into crouching B/jump+B or jump+C]????

or is it [crouching A (2 times)/jump+B or jump+C]?????? :slowpoke: :psyduck:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:30:49 PM by Atiba »

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »
I meant you do either 2A twice or jumping B or jumping C, then you continue the rest of the combo. Though, I should replace j.B with j.CB, since you can't combo with j.B with some charas if they crouch. Also, I see my notation changing a little bit from different combos. I don't like the format in general, so I'm gonna change it. Fixes when I'm not lazy.  :slowpoke:

And yes, Tempered's right.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:14:53 PM by KenjiX »

Offline Atiba

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »
THANK! ;D

I like this forum lol

u guys are helpful, responsive etc.

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2008, 12:58:01 AM »
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jylV65qzRwk

^Same like the fuzzy I just mentioned a few posts back. Just take out j.A. Should do more damage that way.  :psyduck:

You can set this up off of 22A. I like to use double jump to time the deep jC on Nero. Whiff it or another normal for low/throw mixup. Also, you can do it off of an airthrow combo if your opponent doesn't ground tech in the corner. After the aircombo, follow up with a deep jC meaty when they wake up.

Offline kyte07

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »
I am not sure if this was already done but I have done this combo on a few chars, keep in mind, has not been fully tested on all chars due to the account that I have not mastered the exact timing.

does not work
Tiny chars(lens, necos)
floaty chars(Ciel)
kuma for some reason
will be revised later

wallbounce combo

5A x2,5B,6B,2B,2C,214A,214A,6C,jB,jc,jBC airthrow

may seem sketchy but works on satsuki, Nero,walachia

can be varied in the air with 623a to 623c instead if airthrow

gets you on the ground for possible air tech punish

also if you cant get the second 214a just use 5c

tiny and floaty chars tend to bounce too far behind you and you are trying to hit the edge of the frame with 6c
you messed up if you turn around while doing 6c also if CPU or player techs after wall bounce

please reply about flaws, if it cant be managed ill try to post a replay of the combo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:46:17 PM by kyte07 »

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »
I almost got the full combo on Nero, but I keep on whiffing my second jC. That might be because I'm jump canceling too early perhaps. I found that walking back a bit after the second 214A seems to help.

Even though I didn't get the full combo, I'm sure it would do a lot more damage if you omit 6C, since it's scales the damage to hell after it hits. Compare and contrast your combo with one similiar to it, and with only one rep of 214A for simplicity for the example.

On Nero you get:
3638 for -> 5B 6B 2BC 214A 6C jBC jc. jBC airthrow 
3926 for -> 5B 6B 2BC 214A 5B jBC jc. jBC airthrow

So you lose an extra 288 damage for being flashy.  :fap:

Offline Veven

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Abilities: Kung-Fu
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2008, 06:46:19 AM »
2AA, 5B, 6B, 2B, 2C, 214A, 214A, j.BC, j.ABC = 3899
2AA, 5B, 6B, 2B, 2C, 214A, 214A, 6C, j.C, j.BC = 3633
2AA, 5B, 6B, 2B, 2C, 214A, 5C, j.BC, j.BC = 3899
2AA, 5B, 6B, 2B, 2C, 5C, 214A, j.BC, j.BC = 3901
(against Nero)

I couldn't get the full air combo after the 6C either. Seems like 6C is the only normal that connects after the second 214A, but going straight to the air combo does more damage. Still, not having to delay between the 2C, 5C is a fair tradeoff for 2 less damage.

Two unrelated points I want to put down here for future reference, which may be common sense.
1) Landing the j.BC, j.ABC followup largely depends on how fast you mash out your hits, particularly after the jump cancel. It works on all of Miyako's core combos, on any character, and is what you should aim for, to optimize damage and circuit.
2) Using j.BC after 2C, 5C, 236A.6A instead of j.AB feels like 2-3 frame timing, but if you count out the hits of 2C...5C.236A..6A as 1...2.3..4 (dots represent approximate delay, and are not accurate) it helps commit the timing to muscle memory instead of going off the visuals.

I hope some arcade within 3 hours of here gets Actress Again eventually.  :-\

Offline sumbody

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2008, 08:21:31 AM »
2A 5B 6B 2B 2C 5C 214A jB jC jA jB jC air throw

2A 5B 6B 2B 2C 5C 236A 6A jB jC jA jB jC air throw

I thought these should be the BNB at corners. Since it nets optimum damage compared to the above mentioned ones. Only tricky part would be delaying 5C after 2C but that should come naturally after some practice. Timing wise is similar to Arc's corner combo (2C > 5C) or Akiha's corner combo (2C > 5C or 5C > 2C part)

On a side note, does C-Miyako have that elbow drop? BNB with elbow drop linking to air combo is just way cool. The one that H-Miyako does, something like 6AAA > Elbow move > jump cancel, late jC > land > 5A > Air combo.

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »
Two unrelated points I want to put down here for future reference, which may be common sense.
1) Landing the j.BC, j.ABC followup largely depends on how fast you mash out your hits, particularly after the jump cancel. It works on all of Miyako's core combos, on any character, and is what you should aim for, to optimize damage and circuit.
2) Using j.BC after 2C, 5C, 236A.6A instead of j.AB feels like 2-3 frame timing, but if you count out the hits of 2C...5C.236A..6A as 1...2.3..4 (dots represent approximate delay, and are not accurate) it helps commit the timing to muscle memory instead of going off the visuals.

It's possible to link a ground normal after the second 214A on Nero. 5B works for example:

2AA 5B 6B 2BC 214A x 2 5B jBC jc. jBC airthrow (3976)

Landing 5B is a bit tight. Walk back to pace the timing and to avoid crossing up Nero.

jBC jc. jABC always is a safe bet for doing the most damage for aircombos. Most of the time it is, since jABC jc. jABC can't be used in most combos, especially if they're long ones, like damaging wallslam combos. Pound for pound, jABC jc. jABC does the most damage, so you should use that aircombo whenever possible.

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »

I thought these should be the BNB at corners. Since it nets optimum damage compared to the above mentioned ones. Only tricky part would be delaying 5C after 2C but that should come naturally after some practice. Timing wise is similar to Arc's corner combo (2C > 5C) or Akiha's corner combo (2C > 5C or 5C > 2C part)

On a side note, does C-Miyako have that elbow drop? BNB with elbow drop linking to air combo is just way cool. The one that H-Miyako does, something like 6AAA > Elbow move > jump cancel, late jC > land > 5A > Air combo.

I'd like this thread to be for MBAC. Miyako is shaping up to be different in AA from her MBAC counterpart, and so I'd like no new info from AA to clash with MBAC. I still plan on making this thread worthwhile to read, for the sake of completion and the fact that it might be a very long time till most people get their hands on AA.

Edit: Make your AA posts here: http://www.meltybread.com/forums/index.php?topic=1908.0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:30:54 PM by Light »

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
Option Select
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »
Here's a somewhat interesting but also somewhat useless option select I forgot to mention here. It's possible to actively select what special you want to use on hit. Specifically, you can choose whether to use 22A or some other special. This is pretty useful since 22A gives you frame advantage, and you can save meter by using it instead of 214C to make your chain safe if an opponent blocks. What makes this technique mostly impractical is due to the situations you can use it in-basically, when you can hitconfirm a special into a combo off of 5C. Unfortunately 214C is not hitconfirmable off of 5C. If it was, it would make this technique really useful IMO.

So how do you do it? Buffer the special you want to come out if 5C hits an opponent. When 5C hits, confirm whether or not 5C was blocked. If the opponent didn't block it, then input the button for the special. If the opponent blocks, hit 2A and 22A will come out instead of the special. Here's an example with the best scenario I've found to use this OS with:

Landing a ground arc drive combo (requires 5C). You can use the OS to save meter and be safe if the opponent blocks.

Flow Chart
Step 1. Buffer 236.
Step 2. Hit confirm.
A) If 5C hits-> A xx 41236C 
B) If Opponent blocks -> 2A

Summary of the input: 236~2A/C

I have no idea why this works. My assumption is that the goal of the command interpreter in MB is to make a move come out, if possible. If you do 2362A, 236A can't come out since an extra 2 has taken the place of where A should be, so the whole command for 236A has been botched. However, if the interpreter treats 36 like null inputs, then it can satisfy the command for 22A. Maybe that's how the command interpreter works. I should know since someone mentioned in my presence how it works, but I forgot it. So I'll save this part of the wonderful discussion for the MB whiz kids.

So yeah, it should work for any command that has the direction 2 in it.

Maybe it will be useful in AA if Miyako's Ryuujin is hitconfirmable off of 5C, and if it is, it leads to useful combos. I doubt it though since you can chain 5C in AA. This character needs more technical shit. Technical stuff that's actually useful.  :V

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
I don't claim to know the ins and outs of the MB command interpreter, but I can think of a variety of reasons that could work, both as a programmer and as a guy who does MUGEN dev now and then.

Pretend you're the computer.  You've got a string of inputs coming in from the joystick and buttons, and a list of commands to match up with the input string.  Since this has to be quick, you're not looking for the command that matches up best, you're looking for the first match on your list.  More specifically, you might be looking for an input such as 2, release 2, then hit 2 again and a button.

Try this if you haven't already:  Do 236236A on a character that has a QCF move and a DP move.  The DP will always come out, since it's a harder input it's most likely on the "top" of our imaginary list of commands.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:18:25 PM by Legendary Blue Shirt »

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »
That makes sense. Thx. :>

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »
Added the 2C 22A juggle to the list of combos. I know there's a bunch of combos I'm missing which I'll add later, plus the ones people posted here a long time ago that I'm gonna add if they're worth it-to the first post. That's cuz the first post is already getting pretty full, and since I figured this whole thread is pretty much on combos (how unfortunate :V), the basic and important ones should be in the first post. 

I thought these should be the BNB at corners. Since it nets optimum damage compared to the above mentioned ones.

Yes. Yes they are. :3

Offline sumbody

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2009, 03:03:56 AM »
MBAA is coming out on console soon :D

On a side note, anyone care to explain how Miyako crossups in the corner works?

From what I've understand so far, in the corner, after air throw, the timing of doing the back dash determines where she lands, either in front or behind the opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_F6f6vURn8#t=1m16s Mirumirumilky does it 2 times in a row here

Then there's the sj crossup after landing which I still don't understand how it works. And I think I've seen an IAD crossup as well after landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcImJJjIU0g&feature=related#t=0m10s

Anyone care to share their knowledge?

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_F6f6vURn8#t=1m16s Mirumirumilky does it 2 times in a row here

Then there's the sj crossup after landing which I still don't understand how it works. And I think I've seen an IAD crossup as well after landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcImJJjIU0g&feature=related#t=0m10s

Anyone care to share their knowledge?

There's a bug in the game which makes it more easy to crossup your opponent in the corner if you're player 2. If you try that setup while your player 1, it won't work.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2009, 09:09:18 AM »
I can do the airdash crossup/fake as 1p against most characters as long as they neutral tech her airthrow.  For some reason it doesn't work against Kouma (and possibly some others) though.  Are only the sj and iad crossup 2p specific?  Also, I've seen a dash in evade crossup for opponents who don't tech.  Is that 2p specific as well?
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline sumbody

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. Good stuff to know when I'm 2p. More crossup options is always good.

I can do the airdash crossup/fake as 1p against most characters as long as they neutral tech her airthrow.  For some reason it doesn't work against Kouma (and possibly some others) though.  Are only the sj and iad crossup 2p specific?  Also, I've seen a dash in evade crossup for opponents who don't tech.  Is that 2p specific as well?

You should turn off tech then it should work all the time. The dash in dodge crossup looks ghetto as well, and it only worked on 2p for me so I'm guessing its another weird 2p crossup bug.