hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Good Tutorial Suggestions?  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Kuro Kage

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Video Game Music Mixes
Good Tutorial Suggestions?
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:18:50 PM »
I am not too shabby at this game, but I still play it like it is Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men COTA. I don't know anything about the Heat system or the other complexities of this game engine. I tried Gamefaqs but it had the most horrific numeral based shorthand. Perhaps that was lazy of me to dismiss it, but I come from the world of arrows and standard short hand (e.g. light punch = lp). Anyways, I am just looking to play this game as it was intended. So any help would be appreciated, even if it will require me to learn what something like "5a326" means.
"Kanryu taigetsu
Saeru mizu no gotoshi"

- Shinmen Musashi no Kami Fujiwara no Genshin

Offline Benny1

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Christmas Akiha just got sexier!
    • View Profile
Re: Good Tutorial Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
C-Wara main, H-Warc/F-Sion alt.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »
I am not too shabby at this game, but I still play it like it is Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men COTA. I don't know anything about the Heat system or the other complexities of this game engine. I tried Gamefaqs but it had the most horrific numeral based shorthand. Perhaps that was lazy of me to dismiss it, but I come from the world of arrows and standard short hand (e.g. light punch = lp). Anyways, I am just looking to play this game as it was intended. So any help would be appreciated, even if it will require me to learn what something like "5a326" means.
Look at the numbers as directions on a NumPad.  5 is neutral, 2 is down, 6 is forward (all notation is assuming you're player 1 side).  a/b/c are the various levels of attacks.  A is the light attack, B is medium, and C is the heavy.  D is shield, the parry of this game, and E is quick action.  Quick action can do a number of things.  5e is heat activation, 6e or 4e is throw, and 2e is evade.

Otherwise, the introduction thread Benny linked will get you totally set up with all the mechanics you should know about.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Kuro Kage

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
Thank you for the swift replies. That actually helps a lot. I suppose referring to the numpad makes sense given that this game is originally a PC title. But it makes things difficult considring that I play with the Xbox 360 controller for Windows.
"Kanryu taigetsu
Saeru mizu no gotoshi"

Offline CT_Warrior

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
From what I see, the numpad notation is pretty universal.

You don't actually need to visualize a numpad though, just keep in mind what each number represents and it'll become second-nature.
Also, jC means jumpC. It doesn't necessarily mean jump then press C, but that the attack is done in the air.

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »
Numpad notation has been universal for a long time. It's the notation that's been in use ever since Japan started talking about Guilty Gear.

Offline Coren

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 64
  • Swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 01:27:36 AM »
Numpad notation has been universal for a long time. It's the notation that's been in use ever since Japan started talking about Guilty Gear.

The Capcom comunity doesn't use it; because they're kinda scrubby and nothing in street fighter is complex enough input and combo-wise to really need it. Of course they use it for SF in Japan; but the SF comunity are stalwart of never learning number notation and hating most games.

Smash doesn't either...But they're smash...they have like two attack buttons.

Boy...sure is easy to tell I'm an official SF hater...
Combos so bright I gotta wear shades.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:23:10 AM »

The Capcom comunity doesn't use it; because they're kinda scrubby and nothing in street fighter is complex enough input and combo-wise to really need it. Of course they use it for SF in Japan; but the SF comunity are stalwart of never learning number notation and hating most games.

Smash doesn't either...But they're smash...they have like two attack buttons.

Boy...sure is easy to tell I'm an official SF hater...

Yeah, uh ...

But to answer the question, number notation is partially universal, many hardcore SF players can read number notation, but prefer the old "qcf" way. I still can't read number notation without a numpad.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:29:08 AM by deadman »
what the fuck is this game

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
I can read both ways easily enough, but yeah numpad notation can be applied universally, its just whether or not a community chooses to use it. It's definitely becoming more and more common though.

Also lol making fun of the complexity of SF inputs on a Melty Blood forum.

Offline Dragonthorn

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
Numerical notations are easy.  In my opinion this is the most universal and efficient notation. Just picture this in your head:

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Imagine a joystick in a neutral notation. That would be 5. All the other numbers correspond to directional inputs, so 5a is simply standing a.

Examples:
Down - 2
Down-forward - 3
Down-back - 1
Hadouken motion - 236
Dragon punch - 623

Soon it will be second nature.

Hope that helped.

Offline Kuro Kage

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »
That first guide was totally wicked! Now I know how to air evade, activate heat, and know what the hell heat modes do. All I need now are inputs for the arc drive moves and I am set. I still have to learn some of the guard elements (e.g. fuzzy guard) but I already have the basics down. Now I can move to the advanced gameplay. Also, I never knew this game had a parry like function. Nobody at the James Games (for the brief while that they had it) used that technique. Hopefully, it is not as broken as it is in Street Fighter III. Thank you all so much. I will be referencing this thread very often.
"Kanryu taigetsu
Saeru mizu no gotoshi"

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »
Shield was never on an SF3 level even in MBAC, and pretty much everyone has found it to be nerfed in MBAA, so you won't really have to worry about that.

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »
http://www.shoryuken.com/entry.php?b=253
http://www.shoryuken.com/entry.php?b=254

I did a quick lesson on the meter system. Hope you enjoy that shit.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline Mistwraith

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »
http://forums.round1.sg/index.php?topic=315.0

I written up this guide for my local scene MB forum, with info abstracted from some of the MB wikis around. Take a look if you don't mind =)