hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Hi-res sprites?  (Read 15298 times)

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-res sprites?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 05:59:27 AM »
Ciel has miscellaneous sprites for her knive throws, knive impacts, and Seven.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Pfhor

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Beyond the 1% barrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »
Melty Blood, along with Third Strike, has the greatest animation in fighting games. It's disappointing to see games like GG and AH with high res sprites but choppy animations, especially during combos. It must be very very difficult to put effort into both aspects, but if you can only do one I'd say make sure your animation is top notch.

Kohaku especially has such attention to detail regarding her facial expressions and little details they put into her motions (like how she rubs the back of her head as she is waking up, or how her eyes turn into white mini-plates when she does 2b or her ex molotov)

Offline Sledeau

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Talk to the cello, bitch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »
Melty Blood, along with Third Strike, has the greatest animation in fighting games. It's disappointing to see games like GG and AH with high res sprites but choppy animations, especially during combos. It must be very very difficult to put effort into both aspects, but if you can only do one I'd say make sure your animation is top notch.

Thus, why Blazblue looks so awesome. Highest-res graphics yet and animation that looks like it has more work in it than MB. (at least it looks that way so far, anyways)

Offline Numakie

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Oh nooooz~~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 08:52:55 AM »
I'm quite curious how high res'd KoF 12's sprites are gonna be myself.  It's about time that SNK upgraded their sprites after uhh... '94 days.

~~Playing the wrong way... and somehow getting away with it.~~
<Pfhor>: no, I only have nightmares about your play numakie
<Pfhor>: because it makes no fucking sense
<Pfhor>: like WHY IS THIS HISUI DOING THESE THINGS

Offline FireBearHero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
The Rumble Fish  :fap:

Offline ElderGOD

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 29
  • COLE / LUX
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »
Whats hilarious is that each character had even more frames in the MB1 era, so at least you don't have to work with the full set?

I'm trying to make this sound somewhat better, but its pretty hard :toot:
215-218-8244

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 09:26:18 AM »
Whats hilarious is that each character had even more frames in the MB1 era, so at least you don't have to work with the full set?

I'm trying to make this sound somewhat better, but its pretty hard :toot:
What, really? I'm playing the original MB again and I don't see how there are more frames, especially because everyone had less attacks back then.

Offline Numakie

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Oh nooooz~~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »
The Rumble Fish  :fap:

Oh god. They cheat with frames.  :slowpoke: :slowpoke:
~~Playing the wrong way... and somehow getting away with it.~~
<Pfhor>: no, I only have nightmares about your play numakie
<Pfhor>: because it makes no fucking sense
<Pfhor>: like WHY IS THIS HISUI DOING THESE THINGS

Offline MyvTeddy

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »

Thus, why Blazblue looks so awesome. Highest-res graphics yet and animation that looks like it has more work in it than MB. (at least it looks that way so far, anyways)

I have to agree with this.

BlazBlue looks wonderful.

Offline liger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
I swear this has nothing to do with MUGEN directly. So don't bite my head off, eh?

http://www.mugen-infantry.net/forum/index.php?topic=92560.0

But yeah, this is a way of "Hi-Res"-ing sprites. :V

And if it's any consolation, the super portraits are already Hi-Res. ;)

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 07:02:35 AM »
Isn't that a standard filter every SNES emulating program has? Eagle Eye or something. I hate it.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »
It has the potential to suck hard, and usually does.

Offline littlebro

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
You don't have to increase the res sprites. Better off using filters for the sprites. I think the PS2 and the arcade version contains the same sprites but they used their own renderer to look better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2xSaI

"Pixel art scaling algorithms are image scaling algorithms specifically designed to enlarge low-resolution pixel and line art that contains thin lines, solid areas of colour rather than gradient fills or shading, and has not been anti-aliased.

The standard scaling algorithms are bilinear and bicubic interpolation. Since they work by interpolating pixel colour values, and usually set each pixel to a value interpolated between four input pixel values, they introduce some blur into the output. Although this is acceptable for continuous-tone images, it destroys sharp edges and is often seen as ruining the appearance of line art. Nearest neighbour interpolation preserves these sharp edges, but it makes diagonal lines and curves look blocky. Thus, the ideal algorithm for enlarging line art would be one that would interpolate areas of continuous tone, preserve the sharpness of orthogonal lines and smooth (ideally with anti-aliasing) diagonal lines and curves. Several attempts have been made to accomplish this.

Since a typical application of this technology is improving the appearance of fourth-generation and earlier video games on arcade and console emulators, many are designed to run in real time for sufficiently small input images. Many work only on specific scale factors."

I suck at programming, don't ask me. Probably the best way and the easiest way. Still, i prefer custom high resolution sprites because you can revise the colouring scheme such as the shading/toning/shadow/artwork. You will need a team for that. And oh yeah, if you decide to change the sprite, improve the backgrounds too(more animation/3D?).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:31:24 AM by littlebro »