hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: How to run Melty Blood Actress Again on your PC (with Netplay)  (Read 211916 times)

Offline Bolverk-GTM

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • What's an unsafe?
    • View Profile
Re: How to run Melty Blood Actress Again on your PC
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
There was an update???  Geez I'm really not up to date, am I?  I got the emulator months ago for sole purpose of playing MBAA and I haven't checked for updates or anything since then.
Well I guess I'm gonna go check the site for the latest PCSX2 version then since it seems I'm working with a fossil now.  I never would've thought about it either since everything runs so perfectly for me, well except for Osiris whom I lag on a bit like I previously stated.  Damn you OSIRIIIIIIIS!!!  >_>
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:28:28 PM by NarugaDenka »
[21:05] <MashThat5A> Do I have to pay for this game?
[21:05] <Chaoschao> Pay for poverty games? : psyduck :

Offline academico

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
There was an update???  Geez I'm really not up to date, am I?  I got the emulator months ago for sole purpose of playing MBAA and I haven't checked for updates or anything since then.
Well I guess I'm gonna go check the site for the latest PCSX2 version then since it seems I'm working with a fossil now.  I never would've thought about it either since everything runs so perfectly for me, well except for Osiris whom I lag on a bit like I previously stated.  Damn you OSIRIIIIIIIS!!!  >_>

where is the update???
Argentina MB fighter

Offline Bolverk-GTM

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • What's an unsafe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
well i'm just now getting word that PCSX-r1888 is old so my guess would be that the update is on the site or something.  i dunno, Dark mentioned something about it on page 7.  i'll check within the next half hour and post what i found.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »
The latest official version is still r1888. What I'm doing is compiling builds from the public SVN.

The latest build I compiled is r2655. (It's actually well over r2900 now but these are mostly code changes and not worth compiling a whole new build for.) But do make sure you read my notes on how to get the best possible experience, as the GUI has changed a fair bit since r1888 and you really need a dualcore, ideally an Intel dualcore, to get the best speed due to AMD being fucking stupid and not supporting either SSSE3 or SSE4.1. (SSE4a is a joke and useless for SSE4 compatability.)
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline Bolverk-GTM

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • What's an unsafe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2010, 06:07:33 AM »
due to AMD being fucking stupid and not supporting either SSSE3 or SSE4.1
ohhhhh dear...  that's a problem on my half then because my dualcore is an AMD Athlon.  of course it's me that would get screwed over on that.  ._.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
Yep, then the only GSDX renderer you can use is the slowest one possible, SSE2.

Intel CPUs may cost more, but in cases like this where apps support the extra instruction sets they have, it can be a very big factor. As I say, the difference between SSE2 and SSE4.1 could be about 20-30% - certainly could be enough to push you over that 60 FPS threshold...

Offline Bolverk-GTM

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • What's an unsafe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »
yeah i might stick with r1888 then since i get a solid 60 FPS in MBAA already except for in the already aforementioned situtations.  darn you AMD and your lacking diversity of compatibility!  >_<

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
Well, if you get the same (or better) framerates in the later version, there's no reason not to use it.

Install it to a seperate directory and see if speed is better or worse. If it's better, great; if not, delete it. No harm no foul, right?

Offline Bolverk-GTM

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • What's an unsafe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
lol I love the experimental rule of thumb.  :D

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »
What, this?

Offline Bolverk-GTM

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • What's an unsafe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »
LOL.  Uhh, no not that one.  I mean "If you're going to try something new that involves patching or any other major modification or adjustment to something that works well enough for you already and you don't want to fuck something up, make a copy of your directory folder and then try it on the copy!"  ;D

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
Well yeah. Also helps that as of 0.9.7, user settings are stored in the Documents folder as opposed to in the app install directory, too.

Offline academico

• Spellcaster
  • n00b
    • View Profile
Argentina MB fighter

Offline Vhaeraun

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2010, 03:36:08 AM »
*contributing*

settings:

(note: sound has.. err artifacts especially during mech hisui's flares, etc.)
PC specs:

In game screens:

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2010, 04:54:06 PM »
r1888. Yuck. Use the build I linked to awhile ago.

Also, for god's sake man, use the Progressive output. Hold Triangle and X as the game is loading and select the top option twice. A PC monitor is *ALWAYS* Progressive scan; there is no reason to keep it interlaced.

Also, a C2D E4500 can handle the SSSE3 version of GSdx. Use that for a bit of a speedup.

Finally, if you're on Vista/Win7, use the DX10 renderer, not the DX9 one. DX9 is considerably inferior to DX10.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:57:08 PM by Dark Pulse »

Offline Vhaeraun

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2010, 01:25:47 AM »
Tried all those eye candy settings and it gives me that. But also gives me input delay

yuck my rig can't handle ultra-high settings emulation

Offline demotivator2221

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2010, 07:38:52 AM »
best settings

----------RESULT----------

PCSX2 r2186 (legacy build)
download http://www.speedyshare.com/files/22482306/Pcsx2_0.9.7a.rar

play use progressive scan mode

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
Minus the facts you're using SSE2, DX9, and a Legacy GUI Build that's over 800 revisions old, I'd have to agree that's generally the best.

Keep in mind that CPU is a factor, folks. For me, the settings I put work for me, but my CPU is pretty decent. If yours is slower, you will have to scale back a bit.

That said, always use the highest version of SSE your CPU supports, and if you can use DX10, do so. The DX9 mode is considerably worse off than the DX10 modes, and most of the future work will be on the DX10/11 side of the renderer I figure, not DX9.

Offline demotivator2221

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »
I'm sorry, my processor does not support ssse3 and sse4.1 and I'm using OS win xp
the game is made in 2D on the not important, dx10 or dx9 render
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:06:53 PM by demotivator2221 »

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2010, 02:52:01 AM »
Actually, the renderer does matter, but since you're on XP, you're right, there's nothing you can do in terms of if you can use DX9, 10, or 11. The videocard and the OS both have to support DX10 or DX11, and for that you need to go Vista (DX10) or Win7 (DX11) and have a videocard compatible with those capabilities, to boot.

The long and short of why DX10 is better than DX9 for PCSX2 has to do with how things work between DX9 and DX10. A lot of things that are easier or quicker to do in DX10 are hard or impossible to do the same way in DX9, for example, 32-bit depth buffers, to avoid Z-Fighting. This was only - finally - added to the DX9 renderer in r3002. The DX10/11 renderer has had such a thing for a long, long time, because it was easier to implement on DX10 - in DX9, basically, lots of nasty little tricks have to be pulled to get it to do what they need it to do.

There's also the fact that a DX10-class card is relatively cheap now (Easily under $100 US), Vista/Win7 have been out for 3-4 years, and most of the issues that used to plague it have been moot for several years now. DX9, for all intents and purposes, is outdated, and more and more devs are taking advantage of the DX10/11 stuff.

It will still work with Melty, but that's because Melty is hardly a complex game. Even then, it's still possibly slower or inferior to the DX10/11 renderers.

Keep in mind that even though the game is a simple, 2D game, you are still emulating a whole PS2, down to the hardware. And simply put, DX9 can't do the video rendering part of that nearly as good as DX10/11 can.

That said, you COULD in theory upgrade the CPU to allow you to use the SSSE3 or SSE4 renderers... SSSE3 would be basically any Intel Core 2, SSE4 will be found in the 45nm Core 2s. Any i-series (i5/i7) will have SSE4 by default, as well. This would give a small speedup, but obviously, don't go spending several hundreds of dollars if it already runs acceptably for you.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:54:27 AM by Dark Pulse »

Offline demotivator2221

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2010, 04:21:35 AM »
My video card supports derectx11, but I'm not going to move to shit vista and win7  :P

and stop talk about it! I just laid  the best settings, i hope the owners winXP will listen to them.  8-)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:26:58 AM by demotivator2221 »

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
The best under WinXP, yes.

But not THE best. :P

You'll also be forced to move to Vista or Win7 eventually, probably when you have 4 GB or more of RAM. Or if a 64-bit build of PCSX2 comes out. That'll almost surely be faster than the 32-bit one.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2010, 09:58:32 PM »
Alright, since it's been awhile (nearly 400 revisions) and since they've done some notable work on it, I have compiled and uploaded the latest version of PCSX2 0.9.7 Alpha, r3066. You may get it here.

Changes of note:
  • The "Skip BIOS Hack" is no longer an option in the menu. Instead, booting has been split into two choices under the System menu, "Boot CDVD (full)" and "Boot CDVD (fast)." Full works like a normal bootup, through the BIOS; Fast is essentially the old Skip BIOS Hack. Rather than make it a toggle, they allowed both options to be selectable.
  • The Memorycard Manager is now mostly functional, under Config > MemoryCards. You should be able to create, delete, and do anything you need to with memorycards. You can make cards in either 8, 16, 32, or 64 MB sizes, but just like on a real PS2, only 8 MB cards are "guaranteed" to work. Leave the "Autoeject memorycards when loading savestates" and "Enable NTFS Compression on memorycards by default" options ticked (or if they're not ticked, tick them); untick the first option only if you're attempting to play a problematic game such as Guitar Hero. The second option should always be ticked; NTFS compression will transparently shrink down the size of the memory card, and I think just about anyone using this emulator is running at least WinXP, which is what you need (Well, 2k really) for NTFS.
  • A lot of the game fixes that are needed for certain games has been reworked so that the emulator detects games based on their CRC and auto-enables whatever fixes are needed; as a result the old Patches folder seems to be gone. (Not that it was really working before, anyway.) Regardless, "Enable Patches" is still an option; it was just moved to the System menu, along with a new option, "Enable Cheats." In the future, this will obviously allow you to enable cheats for games; for now the only game with cheats (unless you feel like learning how to make PNACH files and have a way to search for the PS2 Memory Addresses) is Persona 4.
  • For those of you on Vista/Win7, The DX10 and DX11 renderers have been combined. This should produce no real changes since the DX11 renderer was basically a copy of the DX10 renderer, and most of the DX11 features that could produce speedups in the future can also apparently be done on DX10-class video hardware.
  • Sound plugin: SPU2-X has now been upgraded with Quadrophonic, Surround 5.1, and Surround 7.1 features. I'm not sure if it fakes these for all games, or if it only really works on games that actually support the technology. This feature only works if you use the XAudio2 module under SPU2-X; Directsound, WaveOut, and PortSound cannot make use of this.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:08:36 PM by Dark Pulse »

Offline academico

• Spellcaster
  • n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
That not works, i'm using win XP :(
Argentina MB fighter

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »
What doesn't work, exactly?

If you tried to install it over your old install, don't (unless that install was of an older 0.9.7 Pre-Alpha; if so, then it's okay.)

Make sure you're using the right version of GSdx. If your CPU can only support SSE2, it won't run with the SSSE3 or SSE4 renderers.

You need to be a bit more specific if you want me to help. I can't read minds, y'know.

As of r3069, it has now officially entered Beta stage, although the work done on it from then to now hardly warrants a new build. They are working on more memorycard manager stuff though, so probably after most of what's left for them to implement is in, I'll compile a new one.